Why is it ok for Pokemon and Nintendo to releases 2 version of same games?

• 147 results
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

While in all of our non nintendo games we simply have them different as story routes or multiple endings? Like in Fallout, InFamous and idk Fable you can be good, evil or whatever and opens up whole new dialogue options and events. What makes nintendo that special to ripoff people? Heck in FE Fates the true route is locked behind a $20 dlc and Nintendo releases a special 3 routes version of the game which pirates found out the size was less than 2gb, Nintendo 3DS typical game card memory size was 4gb. Nobody really cried out for this, where is that anger like when gamer angry at Asura's Wrath true ending DLC? Idk just a small yearly rant cause Nintendo and Gamefreak releasing yet another Pokemon Remake for the year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Allow me to reference some flawed logic

• Because that is how they have always done it.
  • Have you not played Pokemon before?
  • If you don't like, don't buy it
  • Each game is a difference experience
  • Only an idiot would buy both

But, let us pretend that their isn't a Nintendo bias. 😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Nintendo fans/Pokemon fans are still in the 90's pretending that rebuying the same game worth it. It ain't random that this series sells so much. Literally the most milkable fans of them all. They should begin releasing like 4 versions instead of 2, and i bet you it'll sell like crazy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44155 Posts

Probably because I don’t really care. 🤷‍♂️

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: but would you care if games like fable where they offers 2 different version of same game one for good karma only route and the other for bad karma? Which you choose?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@Archangel3371: but would you care if games like fable where they offers 2 different version of same game one for good karma only route and the other for bad karma? Which you choose?

That is already more depth than the Pokemon's offerings.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Pretty sheepish thing to do...

Lol :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: Maybe I’d buy both, just one, or none. Don’t know. Would have to see how they went about doing that. Only ever bought one version of any Pokemon game before and was just fine with that myself. 🤷‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

Not Nintendo's fault, (it really is but that's besides the point) GameFreak & other studios working with Nintendo has been doing that for decades since Red/Blue existed and of course, they always do the 3rd version of the same game.

I would like it a lot more if there were many more significant differences between the versions and not just exclusives. It does make exclusives more valuable though, even if that slowly falls off the more time people have with breeding etc and plus, exclusives can put limits on your team etc. Its a love/hate thing with 2 versions mean they can make 2 very altered games that have some crossover. They just don't really do that with Pokemon. I would absolutely love if they did a split game with 2 versions like an Oracle of Ages/Seasons thing but instead with Pokemon. That would be cool.

At least Fire Emblem does it right but not for Pokemon. While Fire Emblem had two versions with different stories and maps but having 1 allowed you to buy the other as DLC for half off. There is no excuse what so ever for Pokemon not doing this as the bare minimum. Before having 2 versions served the purpose of connecting with other people, the social aspect was one of the main draws of the series for Pokemon. With GTS, you can get whatever you want. Hell with online trading you can get whatever you want. It should had been done away with by gen 4, but the only reason for it now is to gouge foolish people for more money is why they continue to do it. The answer is making money, plain and simple. Vote with your wallets they said, it'll be fun they said.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I really don't think this is something to fret about. I'd just pick one and call it a day. I'm pretty sure the experiences are similar enough to still classify them as the same game and I'm pretty sure Nintendo counts the sales of both together like it's one game. It's typical Nintendo bs like DLC that comes in physical form. It's just a way to spend more money on the same product at the end of the day.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sakaiXx
@Archangel3371 said:

@sakaixx: Maybe I’d buy both, just one, or none. Don’t know. Would have to see how they went about doing that. Only ever bought one version of any Pokemon game before and was just fine with that myself. 🤷‍♂️

So you are fine with not getting the full experience and willing to pay for both? Interesting.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sakaiXx
@valgaav_219 said:

I really don't think this is something to fret about. I'd just pick one and call it a day. I'm pretty sure the experiences are similar enough to still classify them as the same game and I'm pretty sure Nintendo counts the sales of both together like it's one game. It's typical Nintendo bs like DLC that comes in physical form. It's just a way to spend more money on the same product at the end of the day.

For FE fates the plot is very different and have different endings. Also did I mention true route dlc? That which allows you to recruit all characters.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx said:
@Archangel3371 said:

So you are fine with not getting the full experience and willing to pay for both? Interesting.

Reading comprehension is difficult for you isn’t it. Interesting. 😅

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Has been said many times, Nintendo knows their base.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Sheep would buy Pokemon Pearl or whatever ten times over at full price. Governments should ban such practices, people need to be protected because they certainly cannot do it themselves.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sakaiXx
@Archangel3371 said:
@sakaixx said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Reading comprehension is difficult for you isn’t it. Interesting. 😅

Read again as said, interesting you fine with not getting full experience by only choosing one and even ponders on the choice for fable.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sakaiXx
@Random_Matt said:

Sheep would buy Pokemon Pearl or whatever ten times over at full price. Governments should ban such practices, people need to be protected because they certainly cannot do it themselves.

Years later after ninty remake pokemon Sun and Moon they gonna go back to 1st gen pokemon remake but this time remaking the enhanced edition like Yellow, then Silver and so and so.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Fire Emblem: It didnt bother people there because they were different games, with different playable characters, different missions, different classes and the fact that the real issue is that 2 thirds of the campaigns in the package were rubbish. Conquest was the only good thing to come out of Fates. But what a package that campaign was.

Pokemon: People are taking big issue with this.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sakaiXx

@Maroxad said:

Fire Emblem: It didnt bother people there because they were different games, with different playable characters, different missions, different classes and the fact that the real issue is that 2 thirds of the campaigns in the package were rubbish.

Pokemon: People are taking big issue with this.

But on other games we simply have routes. I played FE Fates special edition where I have all the routes. After certain chapters you forced to either side with the white team or black team or if you have dlc create a new path. Other than the different plot the map was mostly the same.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: Who said I wasn’t getting the “full experience“? First of all you can just trade Pokémon, which I did. Second of all does this mean that if I purchase any game but don’t ever buy any and all dlc for it then I’m fine with not getting the “full experience“? If so then I guess I am just fine with that. Also if you really want to go with this “full experience“ thing then you’re going to not only go with every bit of content for a game but also go with doing absolutely 100% of everything there is to do in said game. I think I’ll just stick with going for the “enjoyable amount of experience“ with my gaming. 😅

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

The 2 version "system" had its appeal in the first couple of gens I suppose, doesn't make much sense today though but since some people actually buy both versions there's an incentive for Nintendo to keep doing this over and over.

As for your proposal to pull a Fire Emblem Fates kind of thing, I think it's a terrible idea mainly because I thought it was a terrible idea for Fire Emblem. FEF could have been 1 cartridge, Nintendo got greedy pure and simple. Made no sense for Fire Emblem to have 2 versions no matter how hard it is for sheep to admit.

Pokemon should just have one version and apart from the upcoming Legends game I don't see that happening.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sakaiXx
@Archangel3371 said:

@sakaixx: Who said I wasn’t getting the “full experience“? First of all you can just trade Pokémon, which I did. Second of all does this mean that if I purchase any game but don’t ever buy any and all dlc for it then I’m fine with not getting the “full experience“? If so then I guess I am just fine with that. Also if you really want to go with this “full experience“ thing then you’re going to not only go with every bit of content for a game but also go with doing absolutely 100% of everything there is to do in said game. I think I’ll just stick with going for the “enjoyable amount of experience“ with my gaming. 😅

Please, as per fable you know what I meant when I provided you the option. You just trying to justify your purchase here I get it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: You’re Fable is a hypothetical and I answered perfectly adequately. It would entirely depend on how it was implemented. If I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t buy it. If I did I would buy one or both. Who’s trying to justify what here? I buy what I like and don’t buy what I don’t like. Like I said reading comprehension seems to elude you. 😅

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Nintendo can sell cardboard and hardcore fans will buy it. The funniest thing with the new pokemon games are the fact that they both use the exact same ROM. So both games are included in one cart, but they use a data flag to lock the other version out, effectively making Nintendo fans buy the exact same game twice.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/looks-like-pokemon-brilliant-diamond-and-shining-pearl-are-the-exact-same-rom

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: yes and unfortunate. I was really hoping you'd be more resistant on the fable idea instead of actually pondering about it. People like you why its ok for nintendo and partners to do these versions. I agree, you should pay for what you like.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sakaiXx

@rmiller365 said:

Nintendo can sell cardboard and hardcore fans will buy it. The funniest thing with the new pokemon games are the fact that they both use the exact same ROM. So both games are included in one cart, but they use a data flag to lock the other version out, effectively making Nintendo fans buy the exact same game twice.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/looks-like-pokemon-brilliant-diamond-and-shining-pearl-are-the-exact-same-rom

no worries Nintendo fans ok with the concept of getting locked out of content.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8208 Posts

its been this way since blue, red, yellow.

don't mess with the Pokémon tradition, pick your version and roll with it. I have always liked it

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@sakaixx: My bad, I was kind of only referring to Pokémon since I've never played a Fire Emblem game. If that's how they handled the new Fire Emblem that's a terrible business practice imo. Locking story content behind a paywall is shitty and is no different from that crap they pulled with FFXV.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

And then they release a third version that has what both versions have... I am surprised the masses haven't made a stinky fit about this but it does sell well so probably why they can get away with it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sakaiXx

@valgaav_219: I agree, its why people abandon the game pretty quickly. FE Echoes on the other hand have a $45 DLC, kinda funny as then even AAA game season passes usually around $20-$30. FE games was pretty much the ground where nintendo test all sort of shenanigans. I bought the the season pass too cause man, FE Echoes was a fun game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx said:

@Archangel3371: yes and unfortunate. I was really hoping you'd be more resistant on the fable idea instead of actually pondering about it. People like you why its ok for nintendo and partners to do these versions. I agree, you should pay for what you like.

You’re welcome. 👍😁

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sakaiXx
@Archangel3371 said:

You’re welcome. 👍😁

Cheers. Apparently nintendo now even box the versions together but locked the content out but users ok with it. as your meme

Enjoy 👍😁

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Yeah its pretty crappy these days.

in fairness back with the original on the GB it was a way to promote multiplayer Pokemon and get people talking about it in the school yard and such like. it also gave siblings a good reason to play together if they had gameboys. still marketing of course but a bit more legit at least back then.

nowadays it's pretty BS alright. it works though unfortunately.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: For something that’s supposedly not your problem you certainly have tried hard to convince me otherwise. 😂

And yeah, I will most certainly continue to enjoying buying and playing things I like. Kind of seems like an obvious conclusion for one to make. 😜

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: why we still even having this conversation again? as said enjoy 👍😁

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: Well then stop trying so hard to convince me to be outrage over the same things that you are. Already told you I would enjoy so why keep repeating yourself or do you always have to be the one too have the last word? 😅

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: why we still even having this conversation again? as said enjoy 👍😁

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: Always. 👍😁

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: good.👍😁

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: Yep, yep. 👍😁

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: 👍😁

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Archangel3371  Online

@sakaixx: So desperate to up the post count for your thread I see. Well you’re welcome for my contribution. Enjoy. 👍😂

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sakaiXx

@Archangel3371: I really dont understand why we keep having this discussion? Just enjoy your games no need to feel offended lmao. Enjoy 👍😁

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Gonna actually defend it here: Trading+legacy decision. Initially the idea made sense. The concept behind the game was actually trading your creatures with others over a link cable, its meant to be a bit more of a social experience, especially for kids n shit, and thats obviously how my generation experienced it (you know unless you were a loser without friends). It has continued to stay that way, because now you don't even gotta be all that social, you can trade online.

The idea was simple, you by yourself could not catch em all, ya needed other peeps, and that's still sort of been part of the IP design. There are still pokemon that evolve via trading, its been expanded to moves, n shit like that. Otherwise buying both copies says more about what a putz someone is, and less Nintendo on the scummy.

Fire Emblem was rubbish they did that, not the least of which is fates sucks.

Your examples are comparing a carrot to an apple. Good playthrough or bad playthrough has no multiplayer dynamic to it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sakaiXx

@jg4xchamp: I understand the social part, I dont understand the need for versions to exist today. Just lock me out of the version at the start of the game and if I want to experience the other ver, use a different save or in Pokemon case overide the old save. You still have the online pokebank thing to store your captured pokemon on the first route.

Oh still can trade with people on the other route too.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

In the case of Pokemon, they do it so people have to trade to complete their codex. While I am not a fan of them releasing two identical games with a few exclusive pokemon, it also doesn't bother me. If I want one of the games, which I have not in many years, I just buy the version that is the opposite to what my friends have, so we can trade. Not a big deal at all.

PS4_1080p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PS4_1080p
Member since 2013 • 62 Posts

i bet if Nintendo sells a cardboard box with the logo slapped on it, some sheep would still buy it, and try to convince other people it's good.

just guessing anyway

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

Hmmmmm another lame thing Nintendo does .... With Pokemon I guess it's like death and taxes .... so just never questioned it...

There really isn't a justification for it... you want to encourage people to trade? That's what trade evolutions were for. Plus boosted XP, and they also added mystery gift and ..... god knows what else after that.

As for Fire Emblem. Have no interest in it, but Nintendo doing something to milk it's fans is pretty on brand.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

It is acceptable because IT IS LEGAL!

Do not like Nintendo's practices, then do not buy from the company.