Why is everyone so accepting of online paywalls?...

• 180 results
#51 Posted by OhSnapitz (19282 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

They don't have a choice

^ This.

If you want to play online on the XBO (and Now) PS4.. be prepared to open up that wallet. The bottom line is Sony realized that charging for online gaming is a lucrative business practice. Don't be surprised if Nintendo takes the same approach next gen. You've been warned!

#52 Edited by Doozie78 (1123 posts) -

I'm not currently paying for an online service since my initial PS+ purchase ($20 for 1 year so I wasn't burnt at least). All the gaming I do online currently is free (other than the ISP of course), exactly how it should be. Amazingly I have to give Nintendo a thumbs up for once for not douching out and charging for a shitty online service like the other two.

#53 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29732 posts) -

@Thunderdrone said:

Wait, PSNow is going to be a separate pay2play service?

HAHAHAHAhauhkjqdgiqwuedgeipqw holy shit

Just doing some research it suggests that it's not with PS+, though I don't think it's out of Beta yet so who knows? Paying for the Games on PSNow is horrible though, You're better off buying a game from Onlive.

#54 Edited by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Thunderdrone said:

Yeah, its mind boggling. People are literally paying to be "allowed" to connect the game they bought to the internet they paid for.

The fact that they quickly threw together the PS+Free/Discounted games program is the most transparent admission that the whole thing is dumb as hell as there is no reason you should be paying to play with others in servers they aren't even maintaining.

If the free game program is so good it should be its own subscription based thing. Why is it tethered to the online multiplay paywall? hmm ;)

It also blows my mind that Sony isn't even putting their Game Rental Service (PS Now) with PS+ (which is also a game rental service as in the Free games are only Free as long as you pay for the service.)

Why isn't PSnow available to ALL PS+ subscribers? Why do they have to pay more to play a game on PSNow?

Honestly they should just treat PS+ like Netflix. I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it then.

Xbox Live I just never liked, but at least they let you keep your Free Games if you decide not continue paying for their Toll Booth.

One caveat. Xbox Live Gold doesn't let you keep your Xbone free GWG games. In the PS3 vs. 360 "free" games war (which Sony started giving games first): Xbox 360 GwG were getting very old games and Sony PS3 was rolling out newer and higher quality games on PS+ all year.

To keep up, M$ changed the policy so you only keep "free" games as long as your subbed to XBLG for GwG on Xbone so they can hopefully get newer titles for GwG. As we leave last gen behind and approach next gen full throttle, XBLG and Xbone GwG will be like PS+ in that regard. No more keeping the free games on current gen. The amount of games offered on the other hand, as well as quality of games, are still different. PS4 PS+ has the advantage on quality and quantity for whatever reason so far. The tally currently was 27 PS+ free games to 9 GwG free games. Furthermore, looking at the metacritic scores doesn't pan out well for Xbone GWG currently. It's odd, but there it is.

#55 Posted by HitmanActual (1009 posts) -

@blueinheaven said:

Because people are INCREDIBLY fucking stupid. Any other questions?

#56 Posted by svaubel (4125 posts) -

@Thunderdrone said:

Someone please explain to me why locking online multiplayer behind paywalls is now an accepted part of playing games? Everyone just shrugs and pulls their wallets out.

WHY?

Why did no one move a finger when sony quietly jumped into the XBL gold digging machine?

(...edited mistake...ARR does not require PSplus on PS4)

Also, in what dimension is the subscription revenue NEEDED when the pricing model of the console gaming scene remains THE SAME from the previous gen when only Microsoft conned people with shit like XBL? PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY CLAPPING, CRYING AND CHEERING AT SONY'S ""PRO-CONSUMER""FORTEHGAMERZ""" ATTITUDE EARLY THIS GEN! WHAT?!?!?!

"YES I'LL TAKE A SUBSCRIPTION IF IT MEANS NO DRM AND ABILITY TO PLAY USED GAMES WHOOO"

Soo... people are happy with locking online behind their credit cards in exchange of... having the same fucking rights they had last gen??? WTF

Just how dumb is the gaming community?

And before someone says PSPlus is a good deal. No its fucking not, is an absolute shit one that locks free games I never asked for behind a retarded monthly fee that only exists because people seem to be happy paying for made up services that offer something they already paid for.

I paid for three months of PSplus and felt dirty as shit. I have since sold all of my online focused PS4 games (Battlefield, COD:AW, Destiny bye bye) and will from now on refuse to pay to play online. Thank god for my PC, PS3, Wii U and 3DS...

Because gamers support it. If gamers didnt support DLC when it started, games would not have it and probably be complete out of the box. If gamers didnt support paywalls, online multiplayer would be free. Companies would very quickly abandon what they could not make money off of. But since they make bank off it, well there you go.

#57 Posted by Wild_man_22 (907 posts) -

Because Microsoft has done it for what? 12 years now? So Sony followed suit, and do it as well.Where are console gamers suppose to go for a "good" free online experience I they don't want to pay? Nintendo? lol. Pc? That would defeat the purpose of playing on a console.

Until someone offers something of similar or better quality, in terms of a console online experience don't expect it to change.

#58 Edited by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@Wild_man_22 said:

Until someone offers something of similar or better quality, in terms of a console online experience don't expect it to change.

Every single game on PC. Done.

#59 Edited by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

I more than make up the cost of annual subscriptions in discounts and free games. I've never paid more than $35 for Live, and I've never paid more than $40 for PS+. There are always discounts available if you are patient. When I stop finding value in the subscriptions I will stop buying them. It's that simple.

#60 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29732 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

One caveat. Xbox Live Gold doesn't let you keep your Xbone free GWG games. In the PS3 vs. 360 "free" games war (which Sony started giving games first): Xbox 360 GwG were getting very old games and Sony PS3 was rolling out newer and higher quality games on PS+ all year.

To keep up, M$ changed the policy so you only keep "free" games as long as your subbed to XBLG for GwG on Xbone so they can hopefully get newer titles for GwG. As we leave last gen behind and approach next gen full throttle, XBLG and Xbone GwG will be like PS+ in that regard. No more keeping the free games on current gen. The amount of games offered on the other hand, as well as quality of games, are still different. PS4 PS+ has the advantage on quality and quantity for whatever reason so far. The tally currently was 27 PS+ free games to 9 GwG free games. Furthermore, looking at the metacritic scores doesn't pan out well for Xbone GWG currently. It's odd, but there it is.

Oh...So there's no redeemable justification of Xbox Live.

That's sad.

#61 Posted by Articuno76 (19791 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@Wild_man_22 said:

Every single game on PC. Done.

Read. The. Post.

#62 Edited by Wild_man_22 (907 posts) -

@mikhail: like I said, they play on consoles for a reason. What is the option for those that have no interest in dealing with PC gaming? The answer is pretty simple, they don't. And if Nintendo ever did upgrade or begin to heavily support online, don't expect it to be free.

Maybe Steam Box could change that, but that whole thing looks like a complicated mess. It probably won't ever change at this point. It's pretty much the standard now. Console gamers at this point that are heavily invested in online gaming pretty much have to accept it at this point or change to PC.

#63 Edited by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

Because people are idiots that don't realize there are cheaper alternative ways to game that exist.

#64 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

****, it's one thing to pay for the shit and keep your mouth shut, it's another thing entirely to shill for these companies like a little bitch. Can't believe some of these comments in this thread.

@SolidGame_basic said:

because some of us having decent paying jobs and $35 a year is really not that big of a deal?

@davillain- said:

Because I got money to pay for it.

Really dudes?

It's not about what you make. I made enough money in an hour and a half yesterday to pay for both Live and PSN for the rest of the gen. That's not the point.

It seems you guys are just into the idea of throwing money at whatever the ****. By all means, send me your extra cash if you don't care for it.

#65 Posted by Liquid_ (3823 posts) -

@blueinheaven said:

Because people are INCREDIBLY fucking stupid. Any other questions?

#66 Posted by cainetao11 (36498 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@MonsieurX said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@MonsieurX said:

They don't have a choice

Yes they do. Enough people made just enough noise to make Sony backpedal on the DRM and used game restriction nonsense. And believe me, they were just waiting to see how receptive people were towards those absolutely retarded "features".

Not really,there's more people that will pay anyway

Gamers pushed back against a truck load of bullshit with Microsoft and won for the time being. This proves that gamers can indeed make the difference. Unfortunately, as a whole, gamers have shown that we are collectively a bunch of suckers.

The industry knows this and now they're just seeing how far they can bend us over.

agreed. Just look at the emergence of HD collections last gen, and now Remasters. Gamers have proven they will buy the same thing more than once with a slight visual upgrade.

#67 Posted by Ballroompirate (26007 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

If I didn't pay, there would still be paywalls. I want to play my games, so I pay the fees. It's bullshit, but unless a significant amount of people stop paying, then the corporations will continue to not give a shit.

Pretty much what Lundy said is 100% accurate, welcome to business 101

#68 Posted by cainetao11 (36498 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:

@MonsieurX said:

They don't have a choice

^ This.

If you want to play online on the XBO (and Now) PS4.. be prepared to open up that wallet. The bottom line is Sony realized that charging for online gaming is a lucrative business practice. Don't be surprised if Nintendo takes the same approach next gen. You've been warned!

yup. I said it as far back as 2007 regarding sony. I remember the threads here daily, bashing lems, "its not the cost its the principle". I said sony would do it this gen. there financial situation pretty much confirmed it. It was funny because so many cows sung their praises and said they weren't greedy like ms. lol

#69 Posted by freedomfreak (51141 posts) -

No choice. I wanna play online, I gotsa pay.

Then there's the nice, little bonuses, I guess.

#70 Posted by cainetao11 (36498 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

****, it's one thing to pay for the shit and keep your mouth shut, it's another thing entirely to shill for these companies like a little bitch. Can't believe some of these comments in this thread.

@SolidGame_basic said:

because some of us having decent paying jobs and $35 a year is really not that big of a deal?

@davillain- said:

Because I got money to pay for it.

Really dudes?

It's not about what you make. I made enough money in an hour and a half yesterday to pay for both Live and PSN for the rest of the gen. That's not the point.

It seems you guys are just into the idea of throwing money at whatever the ****. By all means, send me your extra cash if you don't care for it.

That's not really fair though either dude. One can easily say back to you "it seems you are just into the idea that your personal value system is applicable to every fuckin body else. By all means what should I spend on groceries this week, laundry, my wife?" Who the **** are any of us to get up someone's ass for not minding what amounts to a $5 per month fee? I've spent more in an hour at a bar and screwed my hand that night.

#71 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

That's not really fair though either dude. One can easily say back to you "it seems you are just into the idea that your personal value system is applicable to every fuckin body else. By all means what should I spend on groceries this week, laundry, my wife?" Who the **** are any of us to get up someone's ass for not minding what amounts to a $5 per month fee? I've spent more in an hour at a bar and screwed my hand that night.

It rubs me the wrong way because it comes off as if those of us not standing for the bullshit are doing so because we can't afford it. A laughable idea might I add, even the most broke ass kid working part time at McDonalds can float the bill for these services easily.

It's principle.

You're right, I should back off the high horse a bit here. People do spend money on much worse things and much more trivial bullshit. It's still a tough one to swallow though. Even your examples, groceries, laundry, wife.. you'd be paying for tangible things. You need groceries. You want clean laundry. You want a happy wife.

PSN and Live are just pointless paywalls that fill pockets at our expense. You bought the console. You bought the game. You pay for your internet. Yet here is another tax that you must pay in order to access part of the game you already paid for.

I can definitely understand where a lot of people in this thread are coming from. It's simply the reality of where we're at today. If you want to play some of these games, you just have to cough it up. It is what it is, can't argue with that.

But when I see these shill type responses of "oh you're acting self-entitled" or "oh it's no hit to my pockets" I suppose it just makes me weep for the modern consumer and the future of gaming.

#72 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14922 posts) -

Because they've been consumed by the dark side of the force and they no longer can resist it. They had the opportunity to resist but they wasted their time in damage controlling greedy choices made by their precious corporations.

#73 Posted by cainetao11 (36498 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner:

I totally get you dude. I am by no means pro online fee. And yes these paywalls are pointless. Bottled water is as well, imo. I live in a country where the tap water isn't killing anyone, yet some people will only drink bottled here. Fucking stupid imo, but its their money.

#74 Posted by bulby_g (1855 posts) -

I've never paid for online. Was just PS3/PC for online games last gen and it looks like I'll just be PC/Wii U this gen.

#75 Posted by sailor232 (6880 posts) -

Do you know what, every day I see people giving money, food bought with money to the bums on the streets, I see people buy at least one coffee a day, people buy lunch instead of making it from home, people every day, even the person reading this spend money on worthless crap, it doesn't matter if you reading this think those things are worthwhile, I personally find them to be money down the drain. Now I love gaming, I will gladly give up a McDonalds meal once a week, a coffee even once a week so that I can afford to pay Microsoft for live fee's, that is because I love my gaming, its one of the only loves in my life. Point is, there is something in everyones life that the TC opinion can be used on, tell me what things you have paid for in the last week and I will call you a idiot for spending money on it, how long did you stay in the shower? longer than a few minutes? oh your a bloody dumb ass for giving power companies more money, see your argument can be used on literally anything.

#76 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

@cainetao11:

Haha, yeah I feel ya on that one man. Such a waste.

Guess we're really on the same page. It is their money and people can do what they want. People definitely do worse things with their money than paying for online gaming.

I just get carried away because..

1. It's System Wars

2. I've gone out of my way over the years to stand against these new age gaming industry practices. And I just know if enough other people out there looked at it the same way, we wouldn't be in this mess now.

I'll admit, I was proud of gamers when they stood up to MS after the Xbone reveal... but then they immediately turned around and swallowed Sonys load without flinching.

It's frustrating, but I suppose it's too late now. I just hope this as far it gets.

#77 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

@sailor232:

Man, not trying to argue in circles here (and I'd hate to argue with a fellow church member :P), but again, your examples are tangible. That McDonalds, that coffee, that extra water in the shower. Those things exist and at a cost.

Live and PSN are an extra tax put on the player because MS and Sony said "****, free money!". You bought the console, bought the game and paid for the internet. Now you're paying an extra tax to a console maker who already sold you a box just so you can play the multiplayer portion of the game you already bought.

Of course you absolutely have the right to spend your money as you please and if you find value in it then great!

The issue is that you really shouldn't have to.

#78 Posted by OhSnapitz (19282 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@MonsieurX said:

They don't have a choice

^ This.

yup. I said it as far back as 2007 regarding sony. I remember the threads here daily, bashing lems, "its not the cost its the principle". I said sony would do it this gen. there financial situation pretty much confirmed it. It was funny because so many cows sung their praises and said they weren't greedy like ms. lol

lol.. yea I "bumped" a few threads showing their hypocrisy. Oh those silly cows.

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
#79 Edited by TheGreatGeneral (717 posts) -

@Thunderdrone:

"Why is everyone so accepting of online paywalls?..."

Everyone?

Lemmings payed for p2p connections for years without getting anything in return, while attacking PSN spouting bullshit about how much much better xbl was when many PS3 games actually had dedis. This showed Sony how stupid the majority of the gaming community really is and now we have a required service there too. But even then, thankfully Sony are not as greedy as MS and give out games worth a shit to compensate for it.

Now a question for you. How many years have you payed for xbl?

#80 Edited by sailor232 (6880 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@sailor232:

Man, not trying to argue in circles here (and I'd hate to argue with a fellow church member :P), but again, your examples are tangible. That McDonalds, that coffee, that extra water in the shower. Those things exist and at a cost.

Live and PSN are an extra tax put on the player because MS and Sony said "****, free money!". You bought the console, bought the game and paid for the internet. Now you're paying an extra tax to a console maker who already sold you a box just so you can play the multiplayer portion of the game you already bought.

Of course you absolutely have the right to spend your money as you please and if you find value in it then great!

The issue is that you really shouldn't have to.

Cool point taken, I can't really argue against that now can I haha. Or can I, I'll try.

At some point we will be used to having paywalls, they will exist like how at some stage paying for power didnt exist, water rates etc. Paying for online will be the norm, won't be seen as an extra expense, then again as long as PC never gets into this then it will never be the norm. I see Nintendo doing it and I honestly hope they do, their online is still shocking,better but still far below Live or PSN, they could use the extra money to start a proper infrastructure, if Nintendo did that and turned its online into one of the best on consoles will people moan about it still or will people be appreciative that their money went to making a great online?

Again, as of now, yes, paying for online seems to be a slap in the face to consumers, maybe Live would be at Nintendo's quality service wise if we didn't pay?

Edit: All Hail Captain Toad.

#81 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

No one is accepting it...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
#82 Edited by deactivated-5b0367b217732 (1697 posts) -

What other choice do we have? We complain about it on the forums and comment sections, we send them "angry" e-mails... no one gives a shit. As long as enough people keep paying for it, they will keep doing it.

PS: I will say this though: if not paying leads to having a craptastic online service like the Wii U, I'd rather just shut the hell up and pay.

#83 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

I'm just going to dump all this shit here.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-sony-future-20141221-story.html#page=1

Back on topic: Paywalls suck.

#84 Posted by locopatho (23597 posts) -

The online worth a damn last gen was Xbox Live. PS3 and Wii were both shit. Quality costs, my time is far more valuable than money. If I get a fast, high quality online experience I'm more than happy to pay.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#85 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30848 posts) -

Here's what some of the loyalists on this board don't get. These companies don't give a shit about you. They don't love, honour and respect you. They don't care that you love their products. They want your money. If pretending they're doing it for you helps, if making stealth marketing and memes makes you feel warm and fuzzy they'll do it. If telling you they are all about the gamer helps they'll say it. If slashing the price on a console in the first year and **** the early adopters who came out to support the product helps they'll do it. They don't care about you. They want your money and they know they have you over a barrel and they will exploit you for your money any way they can, that's how business works.

The reason that you don't see it on the PC is that its an open platform and gamers actually do talk with their wallets and won't support bad practices and will actively support good ones. The reason Nintendo doesn't have a paywall is because their online service sucks and no one would pay for it. :P

#86 Edited by Thunderdrone (7154 posts) -

@locopatho said:

The online worth a damn last gen was Xbox Live. PS3 and Wii were both shit. Quality costs, my time is far more valuable than money. If I get a fast, high quality online experience I'm more than happy to pay.

Why exactly is the PS3 online shit?

I have a PS4 and a PS3, playing online is just as smooth in both...except one is free and the other is asking for money for doing **** all.

#87 Edited by Thunderdrone (7154 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Here's what some of the loyalists on this board don't get. These companies don't give a shit about you. They don't love, honour and respect you. They don't care that you love their products. They want your money. If pretending they're doing it for you helps, if making stealth marketing and memes makes you feel warm and fuzzy they'll do it. If telling you they are all about the gamer helps they'll say it. If slashing the price on a console in the first year and **** the early adopters who came out to support the product helps they'll do it. They don't care about you. They want your money and they know they have you over a barrel and they will exploit you for your money any way they can, that's how business works.

The reason that you don't see it on the PC is that its an open platform and gamers actually do talk with their wallets and won't support bad practices and will actively support good ones. The reason Nintendo doesn't have a paywall is because their online service sucks and no one would pay for it. :P

Sure, but PC has its own issues.

#88 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@Thunderdrone said:

@locopatho said:

I have a PS4 and a PS3, playing online is just as smooth in both...except one is free and the other is asking for money for doing **** all.

placebo effect, lems are that dumb, they think because they are paying they are getting something better, meanwhile microsoft's account gets bigger.

#89 Edited by locopatho (23597 posts) -

@Thunderdrone said:

@locopatho said:

Constant 20 minute patches/updates, service going down/getting hacked, Trophies taking 30 seconds to "Synchronize" each time, and general long wait times in matchmaking. I agree that once you jump through all the hoops, the actual gameplay was fine. But the hoops were dealbreakers for me. I'd rather pay 360 online than free PS3 online.

I don't have a PS4 but my roommate does, he says the online is much smoother and faster. If it was PS3 level, I wouldn't pay for it.

#91 Edited by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

we are paying to have access to the online portion of a game we already paid for and that is the saddest part of it. When we play games online PSN is not doing anything but serve as a "gate" to control what passes through it. PSN it's only the store, the message systems (voice, letter and video). So we are essentially paying for nothing but an interface because even their security suck major ass. We are paying money that goes straight to their pocket but we have M$ to thank for that. The greatness of a competitive market. As you can see nothing is ever black & white.

#92 Edited by spike6958 (6701 posts) -

The real question is why do so many Hermits talk crap about console gamers paying a monthly fee to play all there games online and get offered "free" games, when most of them pay more monthly just to play WoW?

Seriously why is £9.99 a month for WoW perfectly acceptable, but £5.99 for Xbox Live or PSN not?

#93 Posted by funsohng (29976 posts) -

I didn't. Not that I have PS4, but even if I get PS4, I won't pay for PS+

I mean, why would I? Their exclusives rarely gets good MP anyway.

#94 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@locopatho said:

@Krelian-co said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@locopatho said:

placebo effect, lems are that dumb, they think because they are paying they are getting something better, meanwhile microsoft's account gets bigger.

30 second updates ARE factually better than 20 minute ones, enjoy sucking that salty shit out of Sony's diseased anus you fanboy ****.

And you ARE factually full of shit and making bs up, but hey keep showing how much of a butthurt lem you are.

#95 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

The real question is why do so many Hermits talk crap about console gamers paying a monthly fee to play all there games online and get offered "free" games, when most of them pay more monthly just to play WoW?

Seriously why is £9.99 a month for WoW perfectly acceptable, but £5.99 for Xbox Live or PSN not?

because is not mandatory? i don't play wow hence i don't have to pay for it, let me see you try to play a mp game or do basically anything online without live or psn

#96 Posted by Heil68 (58221 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

No choice. I wanna play online, I gotsa pay.

Then there's the nice, little bonuses, I guess.

Yup. Somehow I can budget in $90 a year.

#97 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

@Thunderdrone said:

@darkangel115 said:

why do people feel entitled and want everything for free?

For free? As most people, I paid for my PS4. I paid for all of my games. Sony didn't give me shit. What free stuff am I exactly asking for here?

What exactly is this subscription money needed for? To compensate for cheaper retail releases? No. To reward 1st and 3rd party dev houses with monetary bonuses? Nope. To have dedicated in-house online servers across all game releases? LOOOOOL **** no

Sony created a paying service that offers discounted/"free" games monthly and purposefully locked online multiplay behind it because that was the entire point of doing it. They pulled a random fee out of their asses and people gobbled it up. Same thing for MS obviously.

Well in all fairness, MS does have in house servers for everyone and their games. 3rd parties just choose not to use them because Sony is behind on the times. Sony is doing it so they can start building PSN into a decent network. Long story short, it costs money to keep an online network going. MS started the fee because they were the only company doing it. they has server browsers and everything. It was the only way to be able to play online on console (that wasn't dial up) and stayed that way for several years. And by the time the 360 came out, it was already an established service. Sony gave away MP for free because they don't have any servers they need to worry about and started their PS+ service, but many didn't think PS+ was worth it and they didn't make much, so now they locked MP behind a paywall. and PS+ subscriptions have gone up 400% since the last year. They have every right to charge, the only thing that bothers me, is how Sony is charging, but the service is still sub par and how they are holding back online gaming from 3rd parties.

@Thunderdrone said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@darkangel115 said:

why do people feel entitled and want everything for free?

For free? As most people, I paid for my PS4. I paid for all of my games. Sony didn't give me shit. What free stuff am I exactly asking for here?

What exactly is this subscription money needed for? To compensate for cheaper retail releases? No. To reward 1st and 3rd party dev houses with monetary bonuses? Nope. To have dedicated in-house online servers across all game releases? LOOOOOL **** no

Sony created a paying service that offers discounted/"free" games monthly and purposefully locked online multiplay behind it because that was the entire point of doing it. They pulled a random fee out of their asses and people gobbled it up. Same thing for MS obviously.

Not to mention you have to PAY for your ISP in the first place. So not only are you paying for your Internet, but NOW you have to pay for ACCESS TO your Internet.

Kind of Mind Blowing, imagine if Firefox, Google Chrome or any Web Browser decided to go and pull an AOL where you have to Pay to use the Web Browser.

Yeah, its mind boggling. People are literally paying to be "allowed" to connect the game they bought to the internet they paid for.

The fact that they quickly threw together the PS+Free/Discounted games program is the most transparent admission that the whole thing is dumb as hell as there is no reason you should be paying to play with others in servers they aren't even maintaining.

If the free game program is so good it should be its own subscription based thing. Why is it tethered to the online multiplay paywall? hmm ;)

wait are you talking about MS or Sony or both?

#98 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@spike6958 said:

I don't know a single person who actively plays WoW anymore.

#99 Posted by PapaTrop (1792 posts) -

It's sad to see all the people who accept it simply because lots of other people do. It's not as if there is no choice in the matter.

If less gamers bent over for these billion dollar companies then maybe the consoles wouldn't be so bad nowadays.

#100 Edited by Ghost120x (5366 posts) -

It's quite ridiculous. It might be worth the cost for someone who plays online everyday and purchases games all the time. They actually save money, but for someone like me that plays multiplayer games very little, it's like giving away money.

I got Xbox live gold on my 360 for 3 months to play gears of war and never again. Then for both next gen consoles I got a year of service, and no games except halo have been worth playing online. Gonna cancel for the remaining years.