Why is Dead Space 2 better on PS3?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Honest question. I'm playing Dead Space on PC, and I'm almost done with it. Pretty sure I want to get Dead Space 2, and I was just reading the reviews for it here on gamespot. It got 8.5 on 360 and PC, and 9.0 on PS3. I read the review for the PC version before noticing the difference, skimmed the PS3 review, and it looked like a copy/paste job, but I guess I could have missed something. I ask because my roommate has a PS3, and if there's an actual decent reason that it's best on PS3, I might get it for that instead. What does system wars think?

#2 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
It came with the rail shooter. You can safely ignore that fact in your choice.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#3 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10546 posts) -
I hate that rail shooter it comes with. Then again I didn't care for the actual game either. DS1 was way better. Others disagree though I'm sure. Just my opinion
#4 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

its the best console version, the PC version is obviously THE best version:P

#5 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
Then again I didn't care for the actual game either. DS1 was way better.GunSmith1_basic
Also there's that.
#6 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

:lol:

i played it on pc only, haven't layed it on ps3 but when i saw it at a friend's house the pc version looked a lot better, can't really give an opinion though

#7 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
I think the sound was higher quality compared to 360 too or something. Other than that it's the same. PC>PS3>=360 I'd say.
#8 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

The PS3 version has some extra content, like another mission or something I think. So that would make it the better version.

However I seriously doubt there is any difference between them, they probably look and play identical just like almost all mulitplats. I know fanboys will say otherwise, but the differences are so minimal the whole "better" argument is just an excuse to do stupid nitpicking to help fanboys try and justify their purchase.

Dead Space 2: Console Comparison - X360 vs PS3 (HD)

Yep like I said, identical.

As for PC scores, too many variables, different reviewers and publications etc....this is why you should not put much stock in reviews. Besides 8.5 is basically a 9 anyway, such a small difference it doesn't matter.

#9 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

Read this if you want an unbiased answer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dead-space-2-face-off

#10 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

Just skip it and play System Shock 2 instead.

#11 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Read this if you want an unbiased answer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-dead-space-2-face-off

Gue1

I don't consider DF to be "unbiased", quite the contrary. I find them to be a nitpicking site to make fanboys happy, just like Lens of Truth.

#12 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Just skip it and play System Shock 2 instead.

Kandlegoat

Haha. I have played System Shock 2. It's one of the all time greats. I was really pleasantly surprised with Dead Space, though. And 2 looks to be more of the same, which I'm down for.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just go ahead and pick it up on steam later on when I'm done with the first one. Unless my roommate decides to get it himself. In which case I'll just save the money and play his on PS3.

#13 Posted by Naylord (827 posts) -

I thought the bonus pack-in rail shooter was really good; it won best Wii game the year it came out as well as best game no one played. With the move and HD graphics + trophies it was better than ever. Me and my friend had a ton of fun cooping the game.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (35030 posts) -
I got it on the Xbox 360, graphically they're the same but I imagine the advantage of Dead Space 2 on PS3 is one disc, and I think it was just early versions that came with copies of Dead Space Extraction, not sure if later published copies still have it.
#15 Posted by Bruce_Benzing (1731 posts) -

Didn't it include an extra game with it?

#17 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10054 posts) -
The controls are in every way superior on the PS3 for this game in particular. Playing it with a keyboard and mouse is insane.
#18 Posted by NirdBerd (2113 posts) -

I hate that rail shooter it comes with. Then again I didn't care for the actual game either. DS1 was way better. Others disagree though I'm sure. Just my opinionGunSmith1_basic

There are such people that would diagree with the fact that Dead Space 1 is better?

Dead Space 1 is absolute gold, a blessing.

Dead Space 2 is a slap in the face, rushed and poorly made. The story, voice acting, atmosphere, objectives, everything sucks and is very mediocre compared to DS1.

#19 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
because it came with a on rails shooter
#20 Posted by kalipekona (2492 posts) -

Honest question. I'm playing Dead Space on PC, and I'm almost done with it. Pretty sure I want to get Dead Space 2, and I was just reading the reviews for it here on gamespot. It got 8.5 on 360 and PC, and 9.0 on PS3. I read the review for the PC version before noticing the difference, skimmed the PS3 review, and it looked like a copy/paste job, but I guess I could have missed something. I ask because my roommate has a PS3, and if there's an actual decent reason that it's best on PS3, I might get it for that instead. What does system wars think?

the_bi99man

You shouldn't pay attention to silly discrepancies like that. I've played it on all three platforms and I can tell you that it goes like this: PC >>>>> 360/PS3. The PS3 version did come with a port of the Wii game Dead Space Extraction, but the actual game is best on the PC. Actually even the 360 version looked a bit sharper in the textures than the PS3 version. Very small difference there though.

#21 Posted by kalipekona (2492 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

ShadowMoses900

I don't consider DF to be "unbiased", quite the contrary. I find them to be a nitpicking site to make fanboys happy, just like Lens of Truth.

Nonsense. They simply point out the differences between various versions. It helps people who want to take such differences into consideration when making their gaming purchases.

So you have it all backwards. It isn't a site to make fanboys happy, it's actually a site for people who aren't fanboys and who simply want to know the differences to make more informed buying decisions, or for those who simply find the technology behind videogames to be fascinating. It's fanboys who seem to have a problem with Digital Foundry. Especially PS3 fanboys like yourself.

#22 Posted by kalipekona (2492 posts) -

The controls are in every way superior on the PS3 for this game in particular. Playing it with a keyboard and mouse is insane.ShadowsDemon

Then don't play it with a keyboard and mouse. I use a gamepad and it works perfectly. Keyboard and mouse controls also work for me in this game.

#23 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10054 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]The controls are in every way superior on the PS3 for this game in particular. Playing it with a keyboard and mouse is insane.kalipekona

Then don't play it with a keyboard and mouse. I use a gamepad and it works perfectly. Keyboard and mouse controls also work for me in this game.

I have a gamepad and for some reason it's still annoying. :/ I can't figure it out
#24 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
It comes with a free railshooter.
#25 Posted by dobzilian (3370 posts) -
I dont rightly know but good news is i was contemplating playing DS1 + 2 today on 360 as i have recently just got them back.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#26 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

get the PC version. I had it on PS3 before I switched to PC gaming and I was astonished by how much betetr it was. It's so absolutely butter smooth to play and the clarity 1080p brings is great. DS2 plays so so well over 60 fps, and you would never know until you played both versions.

#27 Posted by cainetao11 (33538 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

ShadowMoses900

yet you champion IGN?
#28 Posted by MK-Professor (4161 posts) -

get the pc version that have superior graphics and gameplay.

#29 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

ShadowMoses900

Yet you seemed to value their opinion on those "Crysis is better on consoles" thread.:lol:

#30 Posted by Grawse (4342 posts) -
Blu ray.
#31 Posted by jackfruitchips (1065 posts) -

Gue1
PS3 beats 360 thanks to 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed audio
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#32 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -
The games are identical; only reason why DS2 received AAA on PS3 was because it came with Extraction. Nothing else.
#33 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -

As others have said it came with an extra game, which if you ask me, was better than Dead Space 2.

Slashkice
:o I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Wish I could played it with a Move though, f*cking playing it with the PS3 controller was a chore. :cry:
#35 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10054 posts) -
The games are identical; only reason why DS2 received AAA on PS3 was because it came with Extraction. Nothing else.Stevo_the_gamer
Wrong. The BD disc has better audio.
#36 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]The games are identical; only reason why DS2 received AAA on PS3 was because it came with Extraction. Nothing else.ShadowsDemon

Oops, the games are 99% identical.
#37 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

menes777

Yet you seemed to value their opinion on those "Crysis is better on consoles" thread.:lol:

Hilarious indeed.

Anyways, yeah, I figure the PC version probably will be the best choice. Better resolution and framerate. Speaking of that, actually, does DS2 go up to 60 fps? DS1 seems to cap at 30 for me. As for the controls... Please remember, folks who seem to think otherwise, you don't have to play PC games with a mouse and keyboard. I play Dead Space 1 with a 360 controller, and it works fine. I actually tried to play it with the m/kb, but the mouse felt terrible, which bugged me, because the third person view point and control style was very much like RE5, which controls wonderfully with the mouse. The review of DS2 said the mouse felt good and responsive, so I might give it another try. But I got the 360 controller to fall back on.

#38 Posted by MK-Professor (4161 posts) -

does DS2 go up to 60 fps? DS1 seems to cap at 30 for me

the_bi99man

:? you play DS1 with 30fps?

anyway DS2 is just like the first, with vsync you get 60fps and without 200-300fps(depending on your gpu)

#39 Posted by dobzilian (3370 posts) -
Still a great game. ALmost finished #1 again.
#40 Posted by Sali217 (1301 posts) -
Honestly, the ps3 version is probably better than the 360 version, but you seem like someone who enjoys their PC, so that would probably be the ideal version for you.
#41 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

ShadowMoses900

Which is why you are constantly quoting them to back up your flawed logic.
#42 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10054 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]The games are identical; only reason why DS2 received AAA on PS3 was because it came with Extraction. Nothing else.Stevo_the_gamer

Still incorrect. And as a person who has a full blown surround sound system, the audio makes a hell of a difference to the experience.
#43 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Why wouldn't you get it on the PC, which is the best version? You would seriously consider getting it on PS3, after playing DS1 on PC? WTF. Is this a troll thread?
#44 Posted by kidcool189 (4307 posts) -

[QUOTE="menes777"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

the_bi99man

Hilarious indeed.

Anyways, yeah, I figure the PC version probably will be the best choice. Better resolution and framerate. Speaking of that, actually, does DS2 go up to 60 fps? DS1 seems to cap at 30 for me. As for the controls... Please remember, folks who seem to think otherwise, you don't have to play PC games with a mouse and keyboard. I play Dead Space 1 with a 360 controller, and it works fine. I actually tried to play it with the m/kb, but the mouse felt terrible, which bugged me, because the third person view point and control style was very much like RE5, which controls wonderfully with the mouse. The review of DS2 said the mouse felt good and responsive, so I might give it another try. But I got the 360 controller to fall back on.

You didnt turn vsync off in DS1? Hehe, it has one of the most busted vsync options i have ever seen in any game, locking the game at 30fps and providing an absurd amount of input lag. All good when turned off though, and you should probably be able to force it fine through nvidia/ati panel, without those problems.

#45 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Wrong. The BD disc has better audio.

Still incorrect. And as a person who has a full blown surround sound system, the audio makes a hell of a difference to the experience.

Nope, still quite correct.
#46 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -
Why wouldn't you get it on the PC, which is the best version? You would seriously consider getting it on PS3, after playing DS1 on PC? WTF. Is this a troll thread?Elann2008
PS3 version comes with an awesome game, so that's why I played it on PS3 first.
#47 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10054 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Oops, the games are 99% identical.Stevo_the_gamer

Nope, still quite correct.

Did you even read what I said? :|
#48 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (44886 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Did you even read what I said? :|

Of course.
#49 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="menes777"]

kidcool189

Hilarious indeed.

You didnt turn vsync off in DS1? Hehe, it has one of the most busted vsync options i have ever seen in any game, locking the game at 30fps and providing an absurd amount of input lag. All good when turned off though, and you should probably be able to force it fine through nvidia/ati panel, without those problems.

Holy crap is that what's going on? I don't remember if I did or not, but it does seem to be locked at 30 fps, and the controls aren't as responsive as I'd like them to be. Next time I play, I'll check. If I find that i've had it on, and turning it off gets me more than 30 fps, and tighter controls, I'm gonna smack myself.:P

#50 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Why wouldn't you get it on the PC, which is the best version? You would seriously consider getting it on PS3, after playing DS1 on PC? WTF. Is this a troll thread?Elann2008

Haha. I would have. If there had been more reasons that the PS3 version got a better score. That's why I asked. For all I knew, maybe the PC version suffered from some terrible optimization or something.