Why is Days Gone going to Flop?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

I keep hearing mostly from PS haters that this game looks like a flop and don't see many PS fans sticking up for it. (Kinda like Crackdown 3)

I love Zombie games and this is open world and better graphics than State of Decay 2(Granted that was from an indie studio at the time). Days Gone looks fun to me and I would want to play it especially next Halloween. Not as good as Left For Dead but still fun.

So why the hate or low expectations?

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

idk what your smoking but since its a sony game and a traditional exclusive it will be considered a masterpiece regardless of sales or scores. Same way Death Stranding is considered GOTY material already.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The-A-Baum

@ahmedkhan1994: You mean the same Death Stranding that won the show with a CGI show before they even picked a game engine? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It's been delayed many times and is from an unproven studio (at least on this big a budget/scale). It's not being hyped up much so I don't think it would be much of a flop if it fails. I hope it does well though! I agree that it looks fun but I can see why many hold their reservations.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

@the-a-baum: dont you dare question the lord and savior kojima

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Days Gone is either gonna be really good or really bad. I was hyped very early on but when Dying Light 2 came into the fray and it showed off lots of cool stuff then Days Gone, my hype for Days Gone has sunk and I'm more hype for Dying Light 2 now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Next year is bleak for the PS4 for me. I have yet to see a game of interest and Days Gone lost appeal as more gameplay was revealed. I would be amazed if the game is actually great.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

It looks good, I can't say for sure if it's gonna be either/or until the reviews drop. I'm sure it will be at the very least... competent.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The-A-Baum

I have my preference in my platform but have never rooted for any game or studio to fail. Tough world out there and these student loans are no joke. I like to see these people in the industry that bring so much joy to my hobby do well.

Maybe people are just getting sick of Zombie apocalypse? The Walking Dead's ratings on AMC are super low now too, it used to be one of the highest. But then again if COD skipped Zombie mode people would riot Activision!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

idk what your smoking but since its a sony game and a traditional exclusive it will be considered a masterpiece regardless of sales or scores. Same way Death Stranding is considered GOTY material already.

Lol, nailed it.

Anyway, I just think it looks generic. But like said above, it'll get bonus points for being a traditional SP Sony exclusive with a million cut scenes.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I can’t really put my finger on it but from what I’ve seen on this game it just doesn’t really look all that interesting or compelling enough for me to want to play it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@the-a-baum said:

I have my preference in my platform but have never rooted for any game or studio to fail. Tough world out there and these student loans are no joke. I like to see these people in the industry that bring so much joy to my hobby do well.

Maybe people are just getting sick of Zombie apocalypse? The Walking Dead's ratings on AMC are super low now too, it used to be one of the highest. But then again if COD skipped Zombie mode people would riot Activision!

Not me. I love Zombie games, I played the hell out of Dying Light, Dead Island, Dead Rising series and just about all the Resident Evil games. Days Gone lost the hype because Dying Light reveal totally stole the spotlight right under from Days Gone.

The Walking Dead however is losing it's fans because the writers cannot write worth a crap and it's been declining since the Governor died. At least Negan is interesting but the Walking Dead is still losing ratings, not to mention, Rick is gone and he was the only good thing I still watch that show, not anymore.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-A-Baum

@davillain-: Love me some Negan. He will keep me watching now that he escaped.

Dying Light! Holy cow! That studio did some amazing things. Can't wait to see what they do next. And all the content they kept adding for free? Amazing match of Dead Island and taking it to the next level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

It won't flop. Everyone is gonna pretend like its as good as God of War, and if you even mention Days Gone in negative tone, they'll close your threads and shun you.

They call Xbox people lemmings, yet their bitch asses line up for anything called a ps4 exclusive and glorify them greatest thing ever, when everyone knows Detroit and Spider-Man have no class, yet people put them in same group as God of War.

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xHedon
Member since 2018 • 293 Posts

@ahmedkhan1994: Death Stranding is coming to Microsoft Windows PC anyway. That will be the definitive edition.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

Lol, nailed it.

Anyway, I just think it looks generic. But like said above, it'll get bonus points for being a traditional SP Sony exclusive with a million cut scenes.

I know its ruh ruh sony gets special treatment bullshit but come on I think these devs have long way to go to get that treatment. One has to earn Kojima levels bullshit lol. The media are not jumping at this game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It looks OK to me, I have no indication either way until I see more.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

With the first trailers i thought it looked boring and generic and i thought i would be fine to just skip it. But actually the latest gameplay trailers have shown some sequences that look fun, now im paying more attention to it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@ellos said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

Lol, nailed it.

I know its ruh ruh sony gets special treatment bullshit but come on I think these devs have long way to go to get that treatment. One has to earn Kojima levels bullshit lol. The media are not jumping at this game.

But it's still a game that fits perfectly into the "Goldilocks zone" of the type of game that reviewers/industry in general tend to favour. And the company that publishes it of course.

And you can't tell me that certain companies don't get some bonus points added onto the score sometimes because of who they are...

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

I think it's that a lot of gaming sites have had preview sessions and felt that it wasn't that great. The good news is that the developers are at least moving in the right direction in addressing issues with the game considering each preview seems to be better.

Either way, I do think it'll be a solid game. Just not on the same level as Horizon, or God of War.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Sony doesnt seem to have much confidence in it. Last time that happened we got "The Order".

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts
Loading Video...

This video was posted a month ago and has 776k views. I'd say the game has some interest.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ellos said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

Lol, nailed it.

But it's still a game that fits perfectly into the "Goldilocks zone" of the type of game that reviewers/industry in general tend to favour. And the company that publishes it of course.

And you can't tell me that certain companies don't get some bonus points added onto the score sometimes because of who they are...

I'm agreeing with you that certain companies and devs get the benefit of doubt treatment. Mostly Nintendo, Sony, Rock*, Kojiam even MS Bungie at one point you name it. Patly because they built themselves into that spot. What I'm trying to point out is there is a limit to that. While sony may be that company this dev is not there top dev. This is not kojima to get that its must be a masterpice treatment. The initial reveal got the Sony treatment but once the gameplay and zombie showed up you can tell the media went cold as the devs are not Rock Stars. Frankly the game also just does not look interesting. Some even asking for it to stay away from TLOU2 lol. This is easily looked as just a game on the release list. Its why the TC is asking where is the special treatment from cows not sticking up for the game. Now if it was a ND game it will be a different story from Cows and Media. Just look at the way Sony advertises the damn thing. So come on you cant just throw its a Sony game It will be given a masterpiece treatment. I'm not seeing that happening, I don't see media looking at it as the next masterpiece from sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Generic biker dudes with generic zombies not a PS4 hater just think this game can't match their other exclusives.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Looks like it lacks polish. Also looks generic and half baked, concept wise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I'm coining a new term, calling it "uncanny hype"...it's like the uncanny valley, but with hype. hear me out:

So let's say hype is the x-axis, and expectations is the y-axis. As hype builds, so do expectations. So you have this nice slope that goes up to a certain point. At the top is where hype actually meets expectations. But right before this maxed out hype-expectations summit is a huge drop in expectations, where hype is nonetheless quite large. This is the uncanny hype valley.

I think this is why Days Gone might flop. It's become so hyped, it's unbelievable. Literally. Or maybe the hype has generated so much coverage--so many screenshots, videos, previews, and so forth--people's expectations have been lowered because of the hype in this regard.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a good game. But it's all a bit too much at this point.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Lemmings can't falsely hype PS4 games and at the same time pretend like we hype everything when clearly that is not the case.

Sony fans aren't idiots who hype every game on the system because it's exclusive. We know it's a hard concept for you lems to grasp.

To answer your question TC, Days Gone has high production values like you'd expect from any AAA Sony exclusive but it lacks soul and depth.

The Zombie world seems a bit forced and the zombies themselves don't match the tone the game seems to be trying to present.

It's more about the impression the game makes than if we think the game will be good or not. We haven't bought into the Days Gone narrative or the horde zombie world. The game simply doesn't seem captivating or immersive.

Could it be a good game? Sure, but it just doesn't give off the impression of greatness that we look for in our games...you guys probably wouldn't understand.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I like the setting and the dynamic weather looks like it will add to the atmosphere. My only knock, no co-op. 2 player co-op would have been great to setup ambushes and manipulating hordes/animals during a fight.

Think it will be a solid game, hopefully get surprised with co-op added.........

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

well considering PS has another exclusive post-apocalyptic zombie game, The Last of Us 2, then Days Gone looks a little lackluster

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Dont blame zombie games and dont look at walking dead ratings as in people hate zombie genre... this game just looks pretty generic. Seems like it's one of those games if it was on a different platform it would get flamed.

Sony should just make another Dead Nation. I dust off the 4 the buy that shit day 1.

Off topic: zombie fans are waiting for TWD to get cancelled so we can get back legit movies. No true z horror flick would get greenlit with this show waning on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

I love what I've seen from the game and I dig the concept of shooting thousands of zombies. Reminds me of Dead Rising.

But I fear that it might get boring after a while.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

Because it's a generic 3rd person zombie shooter with the horde mechanics as the only thing going for it, but other games are going to do that as well, so even that is not a big deal now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

A lot of shit is posted here in service of winding up fanboys. Nobody here actually wants games to flop or fail. Or at least I hope they don’t, that would be pretty weird.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@boycie said:

A lot of shit is posted here in service of winding up fanboys. Nobody here actually wants games to flop or fail. Or at least I hope they don’t, that would be pretty weird.

Lol oh boycie

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

It just doesn't have that wow factor, that other PS exclusives have. Plus delays and unproven studio... two things will happen. Either it will be a good game 7/10 or a 9/10. I don't think it will be a bad game at all, but will it be a superb one?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

How can it flop when there's no hype for it?

I can see it being a solid 8 at most........

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Pretty sure no hype for Crackdown 3 won't stop the Sony Justice Warriors branding that a flop when it scores a 6/10

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:

Pretty sure no hype for Crackdown 3 won't stop the Sony Justice Warriors branding that a flop when it scores a 6/10

There was PLENTY of hype when Crackdown 3 (And tech cloud!!11!!!) was first unveiled....... it's just died down as people have slowly seen sense.

Where as there's never really been hype for Days Gone......

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@boycie said:
@scatteh316 said:

There was PLENTY of hype when Crackdown 3 (And tech cloud!!11!!!) was first unveiled....... it's just died down as people have slowly seen sense.

Where as there's never really been hype for Days Gone......

lol lemmings hyped cloud power for years off the back of Crackdown 3's until MS finally announced X1X.

There is no comparison, Sony fans hardly even list Days gone in their upcoming game line up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

I'm not a PS4 user but I just hope that this game succeeds. Because I like Sam Witwer.(AKA Starkiller in The Force Unleashed)

randod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 randod
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

I would never buy a dumb zombie game. Ive tried them. To me they are not worth the money spent. I mean if you really into shooting zombies over and over and over again. Kind of non stop with no end in sight. Not me. I have heard good and bad. Me I'll stick with non zombie first person shooter games.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Well...game ended up being good. Probably sold a million copies by now too.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Well...game ended up being good. Probably sold a million copies by now too.

GS score of 5 so that would go against your statement of being good. Course this is using the very same logic cows used to call other GS low scoring games bad.

If you insist I'll fix it for you "Well...game ended up being good, IMO"

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

This thread is now officially the funnies.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

The people obsessed with this game are hilarious.

"No, the game is good. I dont care what GS says... Sjw's ruined my baby"

"No, no, no cow. I'm still super butthurt about people saying my precious Xbox games were turds so your game is a turd too."

Astounding.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
@davillain- said:

Days Gone is either gonna be really good or really bad. I was hyped very early on but when Dying Light 2 came into the fray and it showed off lots of cool stuff then Days Gone, my hype for Days Gone has sunk and I'm more hype for Dying Light 2 now.

4 Months later.

At the time of my original post, Dying Light 2 did in fact took away what I had an interest for Days Gone and looking at it now from reviews & gameplay, I'm more hype playing Dying Light 2 as far as Zombie game goes.

(For a 4 month old thread, TC sure called it out lol)

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@fedor: Well it is SWs and meaningful debates and conversations ended long ago so all that's left is trolls, with all factions. You know what they say...when in Rome

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

It didn't... fairly sure.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@raining51: It flopped, confirmed.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I thought it Sold relatively well in uk and Japan of all places.