Why i hope 360 and PS3 will always be close in sales.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

People really seem to focus on X console outselling and beating Y console, but I think people miss the rewards of the two consoles being so close in sales. You see, with PS3 now breathing down MS neck in sales, thats going to push MS to add Value and great new Experinces so they can try to entice people to buy their console over the PS3 so they can maintain there lead over the other, and in turn since PS3 is pretty close to 360 right now, SONY is going to do awesome stuff to try and push themselves over the edge and catch up and maybe even surpass the 360. And if PS3 does end up selling more than 360, I really hope there still close enough that both syestems try and add stuff to try and regain that top spot or maintain it. If a console is too far ahead in sales to the competition, then they may be tempted to slack off because they figure they already have the win. They need to be motivated to stay on top, or to catch up. So, in all honesty, PS3 doing well and starting to catch up to 360 might actually HELP the 360 because it will force MS to add more compelling stuff.

T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

So, to sum it up, close competition is good? I agree.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I don't see Microsoft beingextra motivated..... the 360 is selling well now in the areas of the world it can selland a pricedrop is imminent. There's not much pressure there.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

too bad the gazillion fanboys out there don't know the benefits of competition.

they'd prefer the extra hits to their wallets to see their favoritest company win...I mean, take 2nd place.

the Wii is a prime example of something that has taken little-to-no pressure. very little really, at least compared to the 360.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Exactly. This is very true. Competition is good for the consumer. These are the same people that would side with Sony removing the Other OS feature and telling people to "suck it up." If any company removed something, I would be mad. Why would anyone want a company to win who doesn't even care about them?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
TIME FER Trusts!
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

competition is good. I dont like how madden owns the rights to the nfl, football games would be better with 2k around.

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
The average person doesn't own both a 360 and PS3, but I see where you're getting at, at least it's competition for both sides to do their best work. I traded my 360 for a wii though (sounds crazy, but I don't regret a thing), so this doesn't really apply to me.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I agree, competition is what's driving this gen so far, and will continue to do so.

I wonder if/when Sony unveils their subscription based PSN service, supposing it includes everything from LIVE (or more?), but keeps online play free if MS will change their silver plan to include online play.

Should be interesting, if this happens, to find out how many subscriptions are kept or started with the key feature being made/remaining free.

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
One could technically say that the PS3 has surpassed the 360 in sales because 360 has sold 40 mil, PS3 34 mil but about 8 mil 360s have RROD so there are more PS3s than 360s.
cheddar99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cheddar99
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts

It's sad how much you just missed the point. Very sad.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

yeah most people here have not even taken a simple economics class, and don't understand the value of competition

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The moment 360 or PS3 falls, or when they start working together, is the beginning of all console gamers' suffering.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts

The moment 360 or PS3 falls, or when they start working together, is the beginning of all console gamers' suffering.

GhoX

I completely agree with this.. Sony: "so lets be best buddies from now on" Microsoft: "SURE" Next day: all console games have suddenly risen from $60 to $75 and no gamer would be able to do a thing since, basically, the companies 'own' the 'hardcore' console market :P

KratosTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KratosTwin
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

Completely agree with the OP. The more heated the competition gets the more rewarding for gamers overall.

SILVER_X_AMMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SILVER_X_AMMO
Member since 2010 • 157 Posts

yea agrree competition help mak progress

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

PS2 a minimal competition yet still is one of my favorite platforms.

Ford had a lock on the market yet provided a quality cheep product (considering the technology at the time)

There are always exceptions to the rule. There will always be PC/handheld/*cough*mac gaming, ALWAYS! and that will always be enough competition to keep any console manufacture on their toes... even if they are the only ones.