Why I bought a Wii U

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

billbradsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 billbradsky
Member since 2007 • 370 Posts

So my most recent system purchases each generation was N64, xbox, xbox 360 and now the Wii U. So why did I buy the Wii U? I just want a gaming system. I don't want to share videos or have a multimedia hub or have a kinnect. The leap in graphics now is just so miniscule that it doesn't matter anymore. I love playing fun games. Nintendo makes the best first party games of any company and they aren't first person shooters to boot. Added bonus, its a Wii also. I can go back and play all the classics that I missed from owning a 360. Overall very happy with the system and the gamepad functionality is really great especially with apps like amazon instant video.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@billbradsky said:

So my most recent system purchases each generation was N64, xbox, xbox 360 and now the Wii U. So why did I buy the Wii U? I just want a gaming system. I don't want to share videos or have a multimedia hub or have a kinnect. The leap in graphics now is just so miniscule that it doesn't matter anymore. I love playing fun games. Nintendo makes the best first party games of any company and they aren't first person shooters to boot. Added bonus, its a Wii also. I can go back and play all the classics that I missed from owning a 360. Overall very happy with the system and the gamepad functionality is really great especially with apps like amazon instant video.

"Overall very happy with the system and the gamepad functionality is really great especially with apps like amazon instant video"; but you just want a games console?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

so what have you been playing on this ... "Wii U" ?

it is pandora's box to me.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

You say you don't want a multimedia hub and then you mention the tablet being great for the amazon app. haha :P

But yeah getting one myself soon hopefully. Can't get through 2014 without its awesome exclusives coming. :)

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

the Wii U does indeed rock, and agree with those reasons. have been playing both Wii U and Wii games

billbradsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 billbradsky

I just said I like the functionality that the gamepad provides to amazon instant videos. It's forward thinking to how it can be applied to games. I don't have cable so if I want to watch something I can use my Wii U. All the xbox music and xbox video and cable and skype are all unnecessary. The two other systems are just boxes designed to get you into their ecosystem. Just like how the ipod was a device to get you to use itunes. The real money for apple came from selling music not music players. Xbox One and PS4 are simply there to get you to pay $60 a year for online and then use all of their other services.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I love that argument. Sheep act like the other consoles don't concentrate on games just because they contain other functions and didn't cheap out.

Blu ray functionality negates all the games released on PS4 now and in the future. It's a frankly ridiculous viewpoint, especially considering how weak the wii u's library is.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@DocSanchez: the. ps4's library isn't much to brag about lol at least the Wii u has exclusives that warrant a purchase compared to buying a system for hardware alone.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

The reason I don't have a Wii U is because of the lack of games (only has one I care to play) and the high cost of replacing that tablet if it were to break somehow. The cheapest I have seen a replacement is $150. Thanks, but no thanks. Even if it gets a lot more games that interest me, that pricetag for a replacement tablet will probably drive me away.

You have fun with your Wii U though and I hope the tablet never breaks on you.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DocSanchez

@bbkkristian: The PS4 has been out for two months. The wii u has been out for well over a year. The PS4 is next gen technology with the third party onboard. The wii u is last gen technology and "not coming to wii u" has been said so many times it's by far more a surprise when a developer announces they are actually supporting them with anything.

A desperate comparison.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@bbkkristian: Well for now, yeah. And it should considering how long its been out. The Wii U will have its 1st party greats and the occasional 3rd party gem, but you know the PS4 will have the better library in the end.

Anyways, Doc is just perma-PMS when it comes to all things Nintendo, u no dis.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocSanchez

@ConanTheStoner: So you agree with me but nevertheless wish you didn't. Ah well.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Sounds good to me. If you've got a decent PC, then you will have the best set up possible anyway. Otherwise, it'll still be a great experience anyway.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner  Online

@DocSanchez said:

@ConanTheStoner: So you agree with me but nevertheless wish you didn't. Ah well.

Pretty much, but that's not such a bad thing. When I start finding myself in line with the likes of Finalstar and Sweenix then I'll admit to having a problem.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@billbradsky said:

Cool story blog it.

Why do you feel it's necessary to try and justify your purchase? Also Sony says hello in the first party development an they make more than games for 12 year olds not to mention Nintendo receives 0 3rd party titles.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I bought a Wii U for their great first party games and because I like the tablet controller.

I also bought one for the BC with Wii, I missed a lot of great games. It's like getting two very different systems in one.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The leap in graphics now is just so miniscule that it doesn't matter anymore.

___

Keep telling yourself that lie. People tried saying that with the Wii and look at all the amazing content the out dated machine was deprived of.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

@Shielder7 said:

Cool story blog it.

Why do you feel it's necessary to try and justify your perches/?

I hear ya man, damn birds always landing on Nintendo consoles and then coming to brag about it.

Makes me sick.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shielder7

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Shielder7 said:

Cool story blog it.

I hear ya man, damn birds always landing on Nintendo consoles and then coming to brag about it.

Makes me sick.

I meant purchase

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Shielder7 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Shielder7 said:

Cool story blog it.

Makes me sick.

I meant purchase

Haha, I know man, just couldn't resist. :P

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shielder7

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Shielder7 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Shielder7 said:

Cool story blog it.

Makes me sick.

I meant purchase

Haha, I know man, just couldn't resist. :P

No worries thanks for the correction.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: it was funny. you are funny quite a lot, tell me, is this ever a ...

birden?

oh lols!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner  Online

@CrownKingArthur said:

@ConanTheStoner: it was funny. you are funny quite a lot, tell me, is this ever a ...

birden?

oh lols!

mkeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mkeyou
Member since 2008 • 995 Posts

Wii BC was very influential in my decision of buying a wii u. started playing mario galaxy and its amazing

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Play Xenoblade if you can find it. I'm playing it through my wiiu. I love the wiiu, I thought that once I had a xbox one I would not look back, but I was so wrong, I love playing a game on my xbox one while using of tv play on my wiiu, brilliant system. Plus Nintendo seems to be the only company with true 1-1 gameplay off tv, latency is basically Zero.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I hope you love the Wii U. And the Wii's got so many games. I have a lot of playing to do.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I bought another one because I wanted to play Mario 3D World. Turns out 3D World really isn't that great. I mean it's good on the whole, but I expect more than good from Mario. (felt the same way about Mario Sunshine) Frankly, and I hate saying this about a Mario game, it's just downright boring. I also greatly dislike the cat suit, it doesn't feel like it even belongs in a Mario game, and they shove it down your throat every other step of the very short and sparsely populated levels.

I was going to hang in there for DKC, but like Mario 3D World, it seems like more of an expansion to an existing game, than an actual big new release. I really wish they had gone for a Galaxy type game design. Oh well.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

SO what you're saying is, you don't want anything but play games? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay and you can't do that on ps4/bone? No, you can play games AND have the extras while WiiU has nothing. Nintendo is only now discovering what online play is... should be fully discovered in about 4-7 years at the speed they're going rofl

DiverseGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 DiverseGamer
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

The Wii U is a failure.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@Randolph said:

I bought another one because I wanted to play Mario 3D World. Turns out 3D World really isn't that great. I mean it's good on the whole, but I expect more than good from Mario. (felt the same way about Mario Sunshine) Frankly, and I hate saying this about a Mario game, it's just downright boring. I also greatly dislike the cat suit, it doesn't feel like it even belongs in a Mario game, and they shove it down your throat every other step of the very short and sparsely populated levels.

I was going to hang in there for DKC, but like Mario 3D World, it seems like more of an expansion to an existing game, than an actual big new release. I really wish they had gone for a Galaxy type game design. Oh well.

Agree to disagree.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Randolph said:

I didn't buy mario because I knew it was a phoned in multiplayer focused / gateway from 2D to 3D Mario. Don't think i'll ever bother with that one. Plus Mario is just disgustingly easy and i'm kinda tired of Mario in general. Mario really needs to wow me before I even think about getting another one.

But DK? DK looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. HUGE improvements from the last game. It's sure to be very challenging as well.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@Randolph: what world did you make it too before forming that opinion? Because from my experience the levels in the later worlds and especially the post game worlds are anything but boring

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Randolph: what world did you make it too before forming that opinion? Because from my experience the levels in the later worlds and especially the post game worlds are anything but boring

Does it have a full secret versions of every level post game like Land did? If so, I may be assed to slog on. I'm in the fourth world right now, and it feels like I'm just going through the paces with very few exceptions. But that damn cat suit, I just don't like it. At all.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Randolph said:

You're not going to sell/trade yet another system, are you?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I bought WiiU because I knew Nintendo would pump out awesome games for it.

The other half of me wished that there would be a promising 3rd party line up, that ship has long since sunk.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

so what have you been playing on this ... "Wii U" ?

it is pandora's box to me.

New Super Mario bros in couch co-op (awesome), ZombiU, New Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, TLOZ: Wind Waker. Soon I'll be playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8.

I've also been playing some Wii games I missed out on last gen, because I never owned a Wii.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

All I can say is that I have 48 games now for the Wii U. My brother has 3 games for his PS4. Although both systems are getting a lot of playing time here, there's simply far FAR more to play on Wii U.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@billbradsky said:

You bought Wii U for 1 reason ... Mario mario , mario , Zelda and mario. Because thats all Wii U is about. Dont fool yourself about anything else.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Noting is really pushing me to get one yet. Maybe if I find one on craigslist that some crackhead wants to get rid of on the cheap, I will. Until then, I'll keep on rocking the NES.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#43 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have all 3 of the next gen consoles, and the Wii U never gets turned on, much less used for gaming. I like to have all the hardware available so I can stay abreast with the gaming scene, but I've never purchased less software for a platform in my entire life. I had more VIrtual Boy games.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Wait, you don't have a ps3?

Should have gotten a ps3 instead. Better and more games than a Wii U atm.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@Randolph: The difficulty starts ramping up steadily around world 5 I found. Just keep at it and also comb the levels for secrets. Some of them are pretty well hidden

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Micropixel said:

All I can say is that I have 48 games now for the Wii U. My brother has 3 games for his PS4. Although both systems are getting a lot of playing time here, there's simply far FAR more to play on Wii U.

the Wii U has 48 games?

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Getting wiiu as well when mario kart comes defo getting skyward sword and galaxy 2 as missed out on those

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

The WiiU will get bought when it has another price drop along with the games Bayonetta 2 and what ever the hell 'X' is. Only two decent looking games on the system.

billbradsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 billbradsky

I'm split between Wii and Wii U games that I have bought. Lego City Undercover was really fun. New Super Mario U and Luigi U are both great platformers. I also purchased Skyward Sword and Galaxy. Maybe I'm just past the point in my gaming life where I want to play first person shooters. I'm looking forward to Donkey Kong and Smash bros