Why has no open world game managed to dethrone the Witcher 3?

• 99 results
joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joebones5000
Member since 2016 • 2817 Posts

It's amazing that four years later, not one-open world game has managed to best the Witcher 3 as ARPG of the generation, not even newer open-world games that emulate it - AC: Oddysey, AC:Origins, Red Dead 2, Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn.

No open-world game has been able to match the depth of story and exploration that the Witcher 3 offers. Playing the Witcher 3, you get lost in its world. After a few hours and you actually feel like you're Geralt while exploring the world. Play BOTW or RDR2 and it feels like you're just controlling Link or Arthur.

Playing BOTW, Red Dead 2, and both AC games were fun, and they are all great games, for the most part, but they seemed like they were all missing something, something to really draw you into their worlds. What is it? I'm not so sure it's the fact that the Witcher 3 has some of the best storytelling we've seen so far, especially with its expansions. Skyrim, despite having a mediocre story, also engrossed players in its world like the Witcher 3 does.

What's missing in other open-world games that made the Witcher 3 the best open-world ARPG ever made? Is it its excellent soundtrack perhaps?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35706 Posts

Lets see, I enjoyed Skyrim, Horizon:Zero Dawn and BOTW more than The Witcher 3 so...

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2071 Posts

Learn what an opinion is but. You have one and that's all it is.

The only game in the list that I'd say TW3 could be said is honestly be better than as an open world game is RDR2 because it's gameplay is arguably worse that TW3.

But other than that, you're just hyping up average to mediocre playing action game in an open world game with an extremely detailed melodramatic story line that some love and others find cliche and boring.

Horizon Zero Dawn/Zelda BOTW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TW3 based on gameplay alone, my opinion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

God of War 4 surpassed it in goty nominations.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4292 Posts

In my opinion BotW has the best open world in gaming. The Witcher 3 is more for narrative lovers in gaming.

BotW open world IS the game... more than just a setting for the game. The fully interactive world coupled with Link's controls and smooth movement really sets it apart from other open world games. There is a seamless transition from running to riding to gliding to climbing. I will never look at a mountain side the same in a game after BotW.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7476 Posts

I really liked TW3 but BOTW shits all over it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro
@pelvist said:

I don't know about all of that. BOTW wild suffers from open world syndrome most other open world games and offered more gameplay focus than TW3 but to say it shits all over it is grossly overstating.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

While the game play was not the best in an open world, I have yet to find a world crafted as well as TW3. It's just so gritty, I love it. You can feel the war-oppressed devastation just ooze out of every corner.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2071 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

In my opinion BotW has the best open world in gaming. The Witcher 3 is more for narrative lovers in gaming.

BotW open world IS the game... more than just a setting for the game. The fully interactive world coupled with Link's controls and smooth movement really sets it apart from other open world games. There is a seamless transition from running to riding to gliding to climbing. I will never look at a mountain side the same in a game after BotW.

Funny because the narrative was cliche melodramatic fodder to me. It had no pull at all and I love a good narrative.

I'm not saying I can't enjoy a game just for great gameplay, but TW3 didn't seem to have either.

I guess that's why I gave up on the game because the gameplay seemed to be just a chore to get to the next cutscene. Since the gameplay was tripe, there was no saving grace or reason to keep playing the game, it was like torture honestly.

I wanted to keep playing because other people were saying how "amazing" it was but every time I went back I keep trying to figure out when "amazing" was supposed to kick in but it never did.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pelvist
@Pedro said:
@pelvist said:

I don't know about all of that. BOTW wild suffers from open world syndrome most other open world games and offered more gameplay focus than TW3 but to say it shits all over it is grossly overstating.

From a gameplay perspective, for me BOTW did pretty much everything that made both games fun a LOT better than TW3 did it. Not overstating.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 2561 Posts

I agree with TC in terms of The Witcher 3 being unmatched in terms of open world games. It's the best and it's not even close imo. I disagree with their opinion that Red Dead Redemption 2 was influenced by or imitated it, though. Red Dead Redemption was a thing before The Witcher 3 even came out. All the prequel did was build and expand upon that. And you can do things in Red Dead Redemption 2 that you can't do in The Witcher 3 so the overall experience you get is much more complex. I also think Horizon Zero Dawn is close to The Witcher 3 for it's beautiful open world and extremely fun and innovative combat system

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4292 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@enzyme36 said:

Funny because the narrative was cliche melodramatic fodder to me. It had no pull at all and I love a good narrative.

I'm not saying I can't enjoy a game just for great gameplay, but TW3 didn't seem to have either.

I guess that's why I gave up on the game because the gameplay seemed to be just a chore to get to the next cutscene. Since the gameplay was tripe, there was no saving grace or reason to keep playing the game, it was like torture honestly.

I wanted to keep playing because other people were saying how "amazing" it was but every time I went back I keep trying to figure out when "amazing" was supposed to kick in but it never did.

You sum up how I feel about TW3 really well. I remember there was a time where I could not wait to get to cut scenes, but I seemed to have moved on from that. Cut scenes now seem to take me out the game more than immerse me.

I recognize the high production value in the witcher... but there was too much dialogue in the game and not enough redeeming factors to keep me engaged.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 5974 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

God of War 4 surpassed it in goty nominations.

how about wins

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28720 Posts

While I certainly love The Witcher 3 I have found Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2 to be more enjoyable.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joebones5000

@pelvist said:
@Pedro said:
@pelvist said:

From a gameplay perspective, for me BOTW did pretty much everything that made both games fun a LOT better than TW3 did it. Not overstating.

So, what do you mean by "from a gameplay perspectice"? Climbing and gliding, being able to throw your weapons at enemies?

Not sure what made BOTW so great in the "gameplay" department. The world was boring and mostly empty, there were no good side quests, and you had to constantly deal with your weapons breaking like glass. Was it the monotonous puzzle solving in the copy and paste shrines? Not seeing what you're getting at here.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pedro

@pelvist said:

No! Its overstating. BOTW genuinely didn't offer the player new experiences or meaningful exploration after the first 20 hours. Making the rest of the world(like other open world games) busy work in a big open and generally uninteresting space.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 5455 Posts

I agree, TW3 is unmatched this gen and most likely will remain GOTG.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 10740 Posts

Witcher 3 is by far most overrated game this generation. many games dethroned it.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 phbz
Member since 2009 • 4721 Posts

The world it self RDR2 is way beyond Witcher 3, and as a open world game BotW is the undisputed king, imo. But it's still a fantastic game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5118 Posts

As good as The Witcher 3 is, I still think BOTW is exemplary as an open world game. The Witcher 3 never felt quite as free to traverse with the same sense of awe. Still an amazing game though. I also think GTA6 will be the best... if they actually make it big enough this time. They always overhype the world sizes.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4368 Posts

BOTW? The emptiest world ever, showed the limitations of the hardware. Sure you lot actually played it? As for the Witcher 3, it was a very good game, best open world? Nope.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4368 Posts
@joebones5000 said:
@pelvist said:
@Pedro said:
@pelvist said:

So, what do you mean by "from a gameplay perspectice"? Climbing and gliding, being able to throw your weapons at enemies?

Not sure what made BOTW so great in the "gameplay" department. The world was boring and mostly empty, there were no good side quests, and you had to constantly deal with your weapons breaking like glass. Was it the monotonous puzzle solving in the copy and paste shrines? Not seeing what you're getting at here.

This guy gets it.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 joebones5000

@phbz said:

The world it self RDR2 is way beyond Witcher 3, and as a open world game BotW is the undisputed king, imo. But it's still a fantastic game.

What I'm seeing in RDR2 is a boring story and a good looking open world that actually does rival the Witcher 3, but its main problem is that it is too large and a bit too empty. It becomes a horse riding simulator too fast without the interesting and meaty side quests that the Witcher has. Rarely do you see a quest like "Go collect our money from x person" in the Witcher, whereas a large portion of the side quests in RDR2 are just that.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25596 Posts

Yeah, TW3 isn't exactly open world, but it's easily the best RPG this gen. One of my favorite games of all time.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

This thread you either shit on w3 or the other games. Personally I like both horizon and w3 equally. Don't care for zelda.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4223 Posts

All great games for sure, but I prefer the one where you can chicken glide through the air and give your horse a mohawk!

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3233 Posts

@boxrekt: Hearts of Stone and Blood and wine have some of the best narratives in gaming. If you haven't played them I'd recommend it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The real question is why has no open world game managed to dethrone Skyrim?

Even after nearly 8 years (twice as long as The Witcher 3), Skyrim is still being played regularly by lots of people and it is still the open world game that all other open world RPG games, including The Witcher 3, inevitably gets compared to. The fact that all open world RPG games still have to get compared to Skyrim means that Skyrim is still the king of open world RPG games.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20703 Posts

It's probably because of how rich the characters, story, lore, and even the environments are. Those other games I find to be much blander in comparison.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6938 Posts

Nah RDR2 is better.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18128 Posts

I'd put The Witcher 3 and BOTW in equal first position - they're both masterpieces in different ways.

I don't think anything has come close to dethroning them. RDR2 had bad gameplay and a meandering, unengaging story (I lost interest maybe 15 hours in, never went back). HZD had fine gameplay and pretty environments, but was otherwise completely mediocre. And...I can't think of other recent open-world games, besides the regular Ubisoft tenplate games.

*edit* Oh, and Skyrim was a hilarious mess when it came out. The constant bugs kept it entertaining, but if those have been patched now, you've just got a poorly designed RPG with bad combat, bad writing, and bad quests.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 joebones5000

@storm_of_swords said:

Even after nearly 8 years (twice as long as The Witcher 3), Skyrim is still being played regularly by lots of people and it is still the open world game that all other open world RPG games, including The Witcher 3, inevitably gets compared to. The fact that all open world RPG games still have to get compared to Skyrim means that Skyrim is still the king of open world RPG games.

While Skyrim is a great game, it doesn't hold a candle to the Witcher 3.

Metacritic user scores show The Witcher 3 PC with a 9.4 user score, beating:

Ocarina of Time

God of War

Red Dead 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

Skyrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
@joebones5000 said:
@storm_of_swords said:

Ocarina of Time

God of War

Red Dead 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

Skyrim

I disagree. I don't think The Witcher 3 holds a candle to Skyrim, especially when it comes to being an open world RPG. The Witcher 3's strength is it's narrative, but Skyrim has the better open world and Skyrim has the better RPG elements, thus Skyrim is the better open world RPG.

And if you want to compare scores, Skyrim has the higher professional Metacritic scores. I personally don't think scores really matter much though. I think the far more telling thing is the shadow that Skyrim continues to cast even after 8 years. The Witcher 3 is a much newer game yet people still go back to the much older Skyrim and whenever a new open world RPG gets released, it still gets compared to Skyrim. The fact that these things continue to occur even though Skyrim is twice as old as The Witcher 3 tells me that The Witcher 3 failed to dethrone Skyrim and thus Skyrim is still holding the crown for king of the open world RPG.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2049 Posts

It’s all opinion. BOTW was a better game for me but I know plenty who choose W3 instead. Glad to be in a world with both games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6228 Posts

Botw is standard ubisoft open world style.

Rdr2 is really tedious everything have animation it tires me.

HZD open world is very generic template.

Witcher 3 got atmosphere and story. Its almost the best open world but goddamn combat is shit.

Best open world is MGSV for me.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#36 phbz
Member since 2009 • 4721 Posts

@storm_of_swords: Skyrim has many flaws but has an incredibly well design world. Not just beautiful, but really well thought-out with great attention to level design, especially considering its size.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pelvist
@joebones5000 said:
@pelvist said:
@Pedro said:
@pelvist said:

Ok, let's be backward:

TW3 is better because you can find hundreds of non-repetitive treasure chests dotted around the map and use Witcher vision to track those footprints or blood while frantically trying and failing to get up that ladder because of the non-clunky control scheme.

Its not like BOTW had more gameplay elements, tons of things to add to gameplay like the throwing weapons, shrine puzzles, climbing and gliding that you mentioned, on top of that better combat, biomes, weather elements (heat, cold, wet, wind, lightning), that all have a physical effect on the player and the environment in that boring and empty world that literally has more variety and more for the player to do than probably any other open world game, (including TW3 with its myriad of treasure chests to um, find and find and find) the korok puzzles totally arent as good as diving to the bottom of the lake/sea a hundred times to open a treasure chest and why bother the player with more stuff to add to gameplay like being able to climb up huge mobs to reach a weak spot like BOTW does ...thats totally nothing to add from a gameplay perspective...

/rolleyes

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 884 Posts

Best? Well, it's all a matter of tastes really, isn't it. It's not my favourite RPG ever but I do enjoy the series.

Most popular? it's popular, that's true, but largely because it's a multiplat, so everyone knows it. Still, my money's on newer Elder Scrolls games having sold the most, by far.

When it comes to open world games in general, the GTA series does pretty well for itself.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 2685 Posts

i had way more fun playing rdr2 and zelda than overrated witcher 3. map may be big, but the town is like dead, cant interract with anyone, gameplay is dull and u need to up the difficulty to even get challenged.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 10723 Posts

Defo game of the gen, Ubi should study this game really, really, really fucking hard.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 12883 Posts

I have the GOTY edition, and have so for a few years, still sits on my bookshelf. I will get around to it one day and join the conversation lol.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3902 Posts

For me this game never even registered, I don't like fantasy world's with magic and spells and all that, it leaves me cold.

Open world game of the gen for me is GTA V, no other game has come close.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I agree with TC. The Witcher 3 with its DLC is one of my favorite games. Such a great adventure. It definitely has flaws though, one being the game is just too easy. I played it max difficulty and it's a cake walk, especially if you run the alchemy build which basically makes you a god.

However, the story, the characters, the world, the graphics, the love that went into it, the value, all that more than makes up for its flaws. Its special.

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 joebones5000

@pelvist said:

Ok, let's be backward:

TW3 is better because you can find hundreds of non-repetitive treasure chests dotted around the map and use Witcher vision to track those footprints or blood while frantically trying and failing to get up that ladder because of the non-clunky control scheme.

Its not like BOTW had more gameplay elements, tons of things to add to gameplay like the throwing weapons, shrine puzzles, climbing and gliding that you mentioned, on top of that better combat, biomes, weather elements (heat, cold, wet, wind, lightning), that all have a physical effect on the player and the environment in that boring and empty world that literally has more variety and more for the player to do than probably any other open world game, (including TW3 with its myriad of treasure chests to um, find and find and find) the korok puzzles totally arent as good as diving to the bottom of the lake/sea a hundred times to open a treasure chest and why bother the player with more stuff to add to gameplay like being able to climb up huge mobs to reach a weak spot like BOTW does ...thats totally nothing to add from a gameplay perspective...

/rolleyes

Every game since Morrowind has had a weather system. BOTW has an empty, boring world. No way around it. Copy and paste shrines and did you have the gall to mention hunting for Korok seeds??? Ahahaha. I needed that! Thank you!@

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 joebones5000

@storm_of_swords said:
@joebones5000 said:
@storm_of_swords said:

Ocarina of Time

God of War

Red Dead 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

Skyrim

I disagree. I don't think The Witcher 3 holds a candle to Skyrim, especially when it comes to being an open world RPG. The Witcher 3's strength is it's narrative, but Skyrim has the better open world and Skyrim has the better RPG elements, thus Skyrim is the better open world RPG.

And if you want to compare scores, Skyrim has the higher professional Metacritic scores. I personally don't think scores really matter much though. I think the far more telling thing is the shadow that Skyrim continues to cast even after 8 years. The Witcher 3 is a much newer game yet people still go back to the much older Skyrim and whenever a new open world RPG gets released, it still gets compared to Skyrim. The fact that these things continue to occur even though Skyrim is twice as old as The Witcher 3 tells me that The Witcher 3 failed to dethrone Skyrim and thus Skyrim is still holding the crown for king of the open world RPG.

According to gamers, the Witcher 3 is the king. Neither of us can change that. Every game since TW3 has emulated it, and I expect that the next Elder Scrolls will be the same. Even Rockstar copies it. Hunter sense. lol. TW3 reins supreme!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

@joebones5000 said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@joebones5000 said:
@storm_of_swords said:

Ocarina of Time

God of War

Red Dead 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

Skyrim

According to gamers, the Witcher 3 is the king. Neither of us can change that. Every game since TW3 has emulated it, and I expect that the next Elder Scrolls will be the same. Even Rockstar copies it. Hunter sense. lol. TW3 reins supreme!

According to which gamers? I'm a gamer that definitely doesn't agree with that. Many people just in this thread have posted that they don't agree with it either.

There will of course be groups of people that prefer The Witcher 3 and vice versa, but when it comes to being the king, I'm looking at three things:

1. Critically, Skyrim scored better than The Witcher 3 according to both MetaCritic and GameRankings.

2. In terms of mainstream popularity among gamers, Skyrim sold far more than The Witcher 3 just in it's original run and even it's remasters continue to receive very impressive sales.

3. Why are all open world RPGs still being compared to Skyrim even 8 years after it's release? If The Witcher 3 had truly dethroned it then Skyrim should no longer be the game that every new open world RPG inevitably gets compared to, but yet it still is. That speaks volumes for how large of a shadow Skyrim still casts over this genre.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 netracing
Member since 2018 • 143 Posts

Witcher 3 felt like it was made with love and not for the sole purpose of a bank account. Not much of that left these days.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#49  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13675 Posts

What a load of fanboy drivel. Most of the critics and game industry agreed on BOTW being the game of the generation, not TW3.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pelvist
@joebones5000 said:
@pelvist said:

Ok, let's be backward:

/rolleyes

Every game since Morrowind has had a weather system. BOTW has an empty, boring world. No way around it. Copy and paste shrines and did you have the gall to mention hunting for Korok seeds??? Ahahaha. I needed that! Thank you!@

No, I didn't mention 'hunting' for Korok seeds, now you're just making things up to suit a poor argument. I did, however, mention that there are Korok puzzles and implied that they are fun little world puzzles and just one of the many things that fill the "boring empty world" you called it vs diving to get a treasure chest containing underwhelming rewards again and again and again as you do in TW3. The point still stands. And please tell me another open-world RPG game where the weather has an effect on the character and environment as much as it does BOTW, id love to play it. I'll tell you one thing though ...it isn't The Witcher 3.

Will I have to keep correcting you on your made up posts, explaining what I actually said every time I get a reply? If so id rather not.