Why Gears 4 and 5 got average reviews ???

  • 65 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for carljohnsoncj
#1 Edited by carljohnsonCJ (540 posts) -

Gears 4 and 5 are epic awesome in both sp and mp. Enjoyed both like Gears of War 1-3 ( Yet trilogy series are Editors Choice , not 4 and 5). Judgement was good also.

Is it because Marcus, Cole, Dom are not in the leads? Or is it because critiques love bashing ONE?

Well?

Avatar image for sealionact
#2 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

I think gears 4 was arguably a 7. Gears 5 however is a solid 9, if a 10 buck fmv interactive video on PS4 gets an 8.

There's long been silly accusations of bias on GS, but giving g5 a 7 doesn't help....not sure how much better it could be actually.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#3 Edited by KungfuKitten (26790 posts) -

Huh. Interesting. Now I'm interested to see what I would think. I wasn't sure I was even going to play it, but because I have it on that Game Pass thing I'll give it a whirl. September is jam packed with games though, it'll have to wait a little bit.

Avatar image for Nike_Air
#4 Edited by Nike_Air (19352 posts) -

They are generic shooters without a good story or great characters. The mechanics are feeling a bit dated. Nobody likes the multiplayer except some of the die-hard Xboners who seldom play it as much as they brag about it. It gets by on graphics , violence , and enough modes to fill a value checklist.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#5 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

Gears 5 is broken.

Avatar image for ajstyles
#7 Posted by AJStyles (1073 posts) -

My post got deleted I think. Series is stale. Judgement was the worst and they never recovered from that trash game.

Avatar image for saltslasher
#8 Posted by SaltSlasher (1303 posts) -

For what Gears is, I can't think of anything else they could have done without selling out 100% and undoing everything the game is like other pussy wagons like God of War.

I do believe that not only are people very biased to Xbox and is gotten so political that for most part can't love or hate their games without blow back. I also believe that gamers in general have grown accustom to Sony's brand of story, I have my own theories on why, but won't say cause will turn this from mildly interesting, to people wondering why I think PS4 users are creeps.

Honestly I'm so over it, cause I have PC Game Pass, so I could care less if it plays on Xbox. This is the best PC port of all-time, so I'm in hog heaven as PCMR guy.

Avatar image for sealionact
#9 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@ajstyles: You finished the sp campaign already?

Avatar image for sealionact
#10 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@jcrame10: Do please elaborate.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#11 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@sealionact: glitched out mess for me towards the beginning of Act II. I can no longer progress through the game. It’s stuck.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#12 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@sealionact: and I guess I’m not the only one

https://forums.gearsofwar.com/t/the-campaign-is-a-glitch-and-bug-filled-mess/23288

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#13 Posted by freedomfreak (51267 posts) -

The campaign is great, but holy shit, it's buggy. There hasn't been a Gears as buggy as this one.

Avatar image for sealionact
#14 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@jcrame10: I had that as well, but it saved fine the next time. Considering the game isn't actually on general release yet, I'm pretty sure a day one patch will help....calling it broken is a bit of an exaggeration.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#15 Posted by sakaiXx (6052 posts) -

@saltslasher: thats a great conspiracy story, do you have more?

Avatar image for jcrame10
#16 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@sealionact: I can’t even keep playing the game because of a glitch and you don’t wanna call it broken? Wow lol

Avatar image for sealionact
#17 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@jcrame10: Meh, I'll call it broken if it is...but that's not my experience. I told you, I had the same issue once, and on the next reboot it was fine. It's a big which will get fixed, most probably before it hits the shelves.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#18 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@sealionact: I tried reloading the checkpoint 10 or 15 times and nothing changed

Avatar image for Ant_17
#19 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@sealionact said:

I think gears 4 was arguably a 7. Gears 5 however is a solid 9, if a 10 buck fmv interactive video on PS4 gets an 8.

There's long been silly accusations of bias on GS, but giving g5 a 7 doesn't help....not sure how much better it could be actually.

Days Gone got a 5.

Where is the bias there?

Avatar image for sealionact
#20 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@Ant_17: My point is that the reviewer stated that 5 was much improved in every way over 4, then still gave it the same middling score. The reviewer who scored Days gave his reasons for scoring it so low.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#21 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@sealionact: Seems the negatives are all for the story, so the improvements can't fix bad writing.

Avatar image for jaydan
#22 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

Gamespot has made statements several times in the past that when a running series climbs through its inevitable sequels and resonates with the same/similar quality of the first game(s) yet remains stagnant without any evolution or growth as a series, Gamespot will default knock any rating of such a game down a point.

Avatar image for fedor
#23 Edited by Fedor (5325 posts) -

@sealionact: Two different people reviewed 4 and 5. The girl who rated DG low here did it because of ideological reasons that she later revealed on her twitter.

Avatar image for sealionact
#24 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@jaydan: ....and yet the review acknowledged the evolution and growth.

Avatar image for sealionact
#25 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@Ant_17: Welp, I'm only halfway through...but so far the story is engrossing me. It may not be for everybody, but most reviewers and gamers love the game...this reviewer didn't, and that's fine. I certainly wouldn't waste my time with the FMV game that scored higher on PS4...so at the end of the day, it's unimportant what the actual score was here, because the vast majority are enjoying the game. Annoying save bug aside.

Avatar image for jaydan
#26 Posted by jaydan (2468 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@jaydan: ....and yet the review acknowledged the evolution and growth.

In the Gamespot review, it says:

"A lot of the campaign feels like a rehash of earlier Gears games"

So there you go.

Avatar image for wiiboxstation
#27 Posted by Wiiboxstation (1398 posts) -

Gears 5 is great when I'm shooting enemies. Frustrating af with the Dave bs or having to work out where to go.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#28 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@Ant_17: Welp, I'm only halfway through...but so far the story is engrossing me. It may not be for everybody, but most reviewers and gamers love the game...this reviewer didn't, and that's fine. I certainly wouldn't waste my time with the FMV game that scored higher on PS4...so at the end of the day, it's unimportant what the actual score was here, because the vast majority are enjoying the game. Annoying save bug aside.

So if you don't care for the score, why do you have an issue with the score being 7 or the PS4 game having an 8?

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#29 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

It's a solid game, fun, but it feels dated; controls and cover mechanic are not fluid or dynamic. Compared to the cover mechancis in The Division 2, Gears is a bulky, blundering brute. This is why...

@jaydan said:

Gamespot has made statements several times in the past that when a running series climbs through its inevitable sequels and resonates with the same/similar quality of the first game(s) yet remains stagnant without any evolution or growth as a series, Gamespot will default knock any rating of such a game down a point.

...you knock off a point, even if the game is quality. Not that a game has to be some huge evolution, but it still needs to improve upon (and not just add to) the original. If it does not, well, then it's not really better than preceding games.

Besides, a 7 is a good score. I actually prefer 7's, it means the game might have an endearing quirk or two. I am suspicious of 9's, truth be told.

Avatar image for jaydan
#30 Edited by jaydan (2468 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's a solid game, fun, but it feels dated; controls and cover mechanic are not fluid or dynamic. Compared to the cover mechancis in The Division 2, Gears is a bulky, blundering brute. This is why...

@jaydan said:

Gamespot has made statements several times in the past that when a running series climbs through its inevitable sequels and resonates with the same/similar quality of the first game(s) yet remains stagnant without any evolution or growth as a series, Gamespot will default knock any rating of such a game down a point.

...you knock off a point, even if the game is quality. Not that a game has to be some huge evolution, but it still needs to improve upon (and not just add to) the original. If it does not, well, then it's not really better than preceding games.

Besides, a 7 is a good score. I actually prefer 7's, it means the game might have an endearing quirk or two. I am suspicious of 9's, truth be told.

Hey, I am not the one that makes up the rules for the Gamespot review metric. I can't specifically pull up any articles or interviews where their staff said this, but it is something I've heard them say numerous times over the years.

It's reasons why games like Dark Souls 3 have an 8/10 and why Pokemon games tend to score safe 7-8/10 reviews, because these games are "more the same compared to previous entries in the series without taking serious leaps in its own growth."

It's reasons why Breath of the Wild and God of War score so highly - because they break conventions and make something new.

Avatar image for Pedro
#31 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

@wiiboxstation said:

Gears 5 is great when I'm shooting enemies. Frustrating af with the Dave bs or having to work out where to go.

That's my main quibble with the game at the moment.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#32 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's a solid game, fun, but it feels dated; controls and cover mechanic are not fluid or dynamic. Compared to the cover mechancis in The Division 2, Gears is a bulky, blundering brute. This is why...

@jaydan said:

Gamespot has made statements several times in the past that when a running series climbs through its inevitable sequels and resonates with the same/similar quality of the first game(s) yet remains stagnant without any evolution or growth as a series, Gamespot will default knock any rating of such a game down a point.

...you knock off a point, even if the game is quality. Not that a game has to be some huge evolution, but it still needs to improve upon (and not just add to) the original. If it does not, well, then it's not really better than preceding games.

Besides, a 7 is a good score. I actually prefer 7's, it means the game might have an endearing quirk or two. I am suspicious of 9's, truth be told.

Hey, I am not the one that makes up the rules for the Gamespot review metric. I can't specifically pull up any articles or interviews where their staff said this, but it is something I've heard them say numerous times over the years.

It's reasons why games like Dark Souls 3 have an 8/10 and why Pokemon games tend to score safe 7-8/10 reviews, because these games are "more the same compared to previous entries in the series without taking serious leaps in its own growth."

It's reasons why Breath of the Wild and God of War score so highly - because they break conventions and make something new.

Yeah, totally agree with the rule/you.

I mean it makes sense. Sequels are often low-hanging fruit; the story and characters are already there, all you have to do is continue the journey. The enemies/antagonists are there as well. The game world, the art design, culture, all that stuff. Hell even the voice actors are pretty much cast already.

Half-Life 2 is another example of breaking this convention and being rewarded for it; it totally reinvented itself but still stayed reminiscent of the original game, and it is regarded as one of the best games ever made.

Avatar image for sealionact
#33 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@Ant_17: Not really an issue, just answering the OP...

Avatar image for Ant_17
#34 Posted by Ant_17 (12861 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@Ant_17: Not really an issue, just answering the OP...

Got it

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#35 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25508 posts) -

The series is derivative and doesn't take any risks with gameplay. It's always the same old thing every Gears game that comes out, and the story is underwhelming and lacks any relatable characters. There's a reason it only gets average reviews.

Avatar image for r-gamer
#36 Edited by R-Gamer (618 posts) -

@sealionact: She gave her reasons. And looking at her Twitter account she was basically triggered you were playing as a white male biker. The Sony bias stuff is bullshit.

Avatar image for pmanden
#37 Posted by pmanden (723 posts) -

I sorely miss Marcus, Cole and Dom. I don't think Gears is the same without their funny dialogues. The protagonists in Gears 4 are uninspiring and uninteresting to listen to and play as, and the game gets repetitive and dull pretty fast. It is a 6/10 in my opinion. I haven't played Gears 5 yet, but I think I will replay Gears 1 and 2 before I try it.

Avatar image for subspecies
#38 Posted by Subspecies (730 posts) -

Gears 4 just flat out sucked. Gears 5 is a buggy mess with poor level design. It's not hard to understand why these games got low scores.

Avatar image for sealionact
#39 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@r-gamer: Fair enough, but Days didn't exactly get the critics moist. Think most critics gave it a 6.....

Avatar image for Macutchi
#40 Edited by Macutchi (6875 posts) -

has there ever been an example of a good franchise being bought out by another development team and it going well? halo post bungie, gears post epic, fallout post obsidian, far cry post crytek, monkey island post lucasarts... all sucked to varying degrees.

gears 4 was genuinely terrible. was pretty stunned at how poor the campaign was and how far it had veered away from the qualities that made the original trilogy so memorable. expectations for 5 have been close to rock bottom ever since. i'll probably pick up the game pass beta for pc at £1 and try it, more so just to try game pass then for gears specifically though

Avatar image for Willy105
#41 Posted by Willy105 (24873 posts) -
@Macutchi said:

has there ever been an example of a good franchise being bought out by another development team and it going well? halo post bungie, gears post epic, fallout post obsidian, far cry post crytek, monkey island post lucasarts... all sucked to varying degrees.

Retro Studios with Metroid and Donkey Kong Country. (Originally Nintendo and Rare respectively)

EAD Tokyo with the Super Mario games. (Originally EAD Kyoto)

Christian Whitehead with Sonic Mania. (Originally Sonic Team)

Bandai Namco with Super Smash Bros. (Originally HAL Labs)

Next Level Games with Luigi's Mansion. (Originally EAD Kyoto)

Avatar image for sealionact
#42 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@Macutchi: Would be genuinely interested to hear your opinion. Personally, I think it's the best in the series, and the best game anywhere since God of War.

Avatar image for davillain-
#43 Posted by DaVillain- (37989 posts) -

Here's the problem as it seems why Gears hasn't been that good and getting raving reviews. Look at God of War from 1,2,3 & Ascension. Those series have been the same old, same old, Santa Monica at least went in a new direction with God of War 4, doing the same gameplay-wise wasn't gonna cut it, so Santa Monica took a risk and change God of War formula and look how God of War 4 got rave reviews, it even won GOTY, because it took a risk of doing something new.

Gears of War just been more the same and barely changing or evolving at all. Like @DragonfireXZ95 state above, it doesn't take risk and Coalition isn't trying to. I'm using God of War 4 as an example why it went on a new direction that got rave reviews vs Gears 4, 5 reviews. Reviewers are looking or hoping for God of War 4 like with a new direction Gears 5 should have been doing, it's why reviewers are giving Gears 4, 5 average scores but at least it's nowhere near as bad as Crackdown 3 which is a good thing. That said, I'm still enjoying Gears 5 despite the reviews, it doesn't change my opinion on the game itself.

Avatar image for npiet1
#44 Posted by npiet1 (2515 posts) -

Just finished act III, It's good, not great. Since the story falls around kate most of the originals are only seen here and there, hell even JD, Marcus son isn't in most of the game. Game play wise it's gears you know what to expect but they semi-open world it in the 3rd act for some reason. It should of been linear and had more levels and story to it. The actual story is so so too. It's pretty predictable the entire way. 6.5/10. Would only play again if I'm playing the whole series.

Avatar image for phbz
#45 Posted by phbz (4655 posts) -

How is 86 on MC average?

Avatar image for clone01
#46 Posted by clone01 (27544 posts) -

It's the same formula, and it has grown stale for a lot of gamers. I'll still enjoy it, but I can totally see why the franchise has lost its luster.

Avatar image for xhawk27
#47 Edited by xhawk27 (11371 posts) -

CowShite strikes again. Yeah this site isn't bias at all. LOL

Avatar image for Pedro
#48 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

Its very strange to see people complain specifically about this game having the same formula but will tout other games that do the same. As far as I am concern people are in denial about the series as a whole.

Avatar image for ivangrozny
#49 Posted by IvanGrozny (924 posts) -

Honestly I think Gamespot have been in Sony's pocket for years and have been downgrading MS games ever since.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#50 Posted by pdogg93 (1668 posts) -

@xhawk27: you predicted it was gonna be goty and blow everything out of the water.

It flopped on gamespot with a 7/10, sitting at 85 MC and once gamespot’s score gets averaged in, it’ll likely drop to an 84.

You still feeling confident?? It’s merely a typical gears game, nothing more.