Why don't Sony or MS invest in an open world exclusive game?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Open world games are extremely popular and high profile ones tend to be high sellers. Skyrim. and even Fallout. GTA and even Red Dead Redemption. Assassin's Creed and now evenFar Cry. And Watch Dogs joins teh ranks

I'm not talking about open world games in the style of Infamous or upcoming Sunset Overdrive.

I'm refering to those games which tend to allow for a greater level of exploration, since they don't allow the same fast paced traversal. IMO, if it got enough marketing and hype, a first/third person open world action game, with some potential RPG elements, could be a huge seller, and a great IP to help boost sales of either console.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

That makes no sense. You can't say they don't invest and then name 2 games and say it doesn't count.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Money probably, cheaper to make a smaller game than a bigger one and exclusives will not sell anything on other systems obviously.

They could make a GTA type game, but they might find it hard to make their money back, it would be a bit of a risk. I don't really understand why someone like Sony don't do multi-plats sometimes, I mean if a game sells like GTAV who cares if some of that was made on PC or Xbox One, why pass up on making some cash for the more ambitious projects instead of not making it at all.

I don't see why they even go down for the paid for exclusive content route, spend it on your own studios instead.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@Animal-Mother said:

That makes no sense. You can't say they don't invest and then name 2 games and say it doesn't count.

Did you read my post? I'm refering to open world games in the style of Skyrim and FC. There's nothing wrong with inFamous for example. It's just that it works more like a "playground open world" than a more traditional "exploration open world".

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If sony could get rights to the Getaway franchise I would shyt a brick

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

microsoft/sony investing in an open world sandbox game would be great

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

You may have heard of this. It only derailed the Titanfall hype train.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

thats great..but thats not what the TC is looking for.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@Shewgenja said:

thats great..but thats not what the TC is looking for.

That's because OP is silly. The game did very well. Accomplished all the things OP asked for it to do other than being Infamous. Blanket statements to ignore the obvious don't warrant much thought.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

for the cows

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I get what you're saying, it would be cool to have an exclusive RPG title on the PS4. But the way i see it is, Sony had Demon's Souls but then they made the sequel a multiplat and more people got to play making the franchise more popular. Same with Microsoft and Mass Effect.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

did it? Checking receipts it didn't

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Sony owns the rights because The Getaway was always their IP. Where did you hear Sony didn't have the Getaway franchise?

It was developed at Team Soho (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, SCEE) and later SCE London. After The Getaway: Black Monday (sequel), the series dropped in sales (poor timing to release after GTA San Andreas) and also Brendan McNamara left Sony to start Team Bondi who gave the world L.A. Noire. You might remember Team Bondi also in the headlines for the employee mistreatment debacle. So, there are two reasons why there is no Getaway sequel. Brendan McNamara left, and more importantly it's deemed a risky financial move in comparison to other projects at Sony, especially after The Getaway: Black Monday (part 2) took a hit with the critics and sales. Sony did consider it for the PS3 and even a Getaway tech demo was seen on the platform years back, but obviously nothing materialized.

Of course, it's been a LONG time since we've seen The Getaway IP so Sony could resurrect their own IP if they had a capable leading director able to do something with the franchise and instill confidence in Sony to proceed instead of doing what that team is currently working on (Singstar, Playroom, Wonderbook, Playstation Home, etc). If done right with the PS4 console, it could be a very beautiful game. It was fantastic looking on PS2 hardware.

As you can see, it's not Sony struggling to own the rights that's the problem (hell, it was their game since day one as it was Sony studio project), it's that a future Getaway project is deemed risky for a number of reasons (sequel had poor sales, lost a director, current team making money with current projects).

Since I'm here, here's a fun little blog that you might dig : What On Earth Happened to 'The Getaway' Franchise?

http://www.ign.com/blogs/_mattallica/2013/05/16/what-happened-to-the-getaway

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Did you read my post? I'm refering to open world games in the style of Skyrim and FC. There's nothing wrong with inFamous for example. It's just that it works more like a "playground open world" than a more traditional "exploration open world".

So you mean open world RPGs?

Because they're a really niche market that take a long time to make, are very costly and usually do very well or bomb. Look how many bugs are in Skyrim and how long they worked on it.

MS does have the fable series, but it sucks.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

This. And Microsoft has Crackdown.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Sony owns the rights because The Getaway was always their IP. Where did you hear Sony didn't have the Getaway franchise?

It was developed at Team Soho (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, SCEE) and later SCE London. After The Getaway: Black Monday (sequel), the series dropped in sales (poor timing to release after GTA San Andreas) and also Brendan McNamara left Sony to start Team Bondi who gave the world L.A. Noire. You might remember Team Bondi also in the headlines for the employee mistreatment debacle. So, there are two reasons why there is no Getaway sequel. Brendan McNamara left, and more importantly it's deemed a risky financial move in comparison to other projects at Sony, especially after The Getaway: Black Monday (part 2) took a hit with the critics and sales. Sony did consider it for the PS3 and even a Getaway tech demo was seen on the platform years back, but obviously nothing materialized.

Of course, it's been a LONG time since we've seen The Getaway IP so Sony could resurrect their own IP if they had a capable leading director able to do something with the franchise and instill confidence in Sony to proceed instead of doing what that team is currently working on (Singstar, Playroom, Wonderbook, Playstation Home, etc). If done right with the PS4 console, it could be a very beautiful game. It was fantastic looking on PS2 hardware.

As you can see, it's not Sony struggling to own the rights that's the problem (hell, it was their game since day one as it was Sony studio project), it's that a future Getaway project is deemed risky for a number of reasons (sequel had poor sales, lost a director, current team making money with current projects).

Since I'm here, here's a fun little blog that you might dig : What On Earth Happened to 'The Getaway' Franchise?

I thought what's his face when he left, he took the IP with him or w/e?

They really need to make another The Getaway game, freaking loved the first one.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isn't Crackdown an openworld exclusive?

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

Crackdown & Fable

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@SolidTy said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I thought what's his face when he left, he took the IP with him or w/e?

They really need to make another The Getaway game, freaking loved the first one.

It's true he took off, but he left the IP behind. Problem is, as noted above, no one seems capable of filling his shoes. :( (plus other risk factors)

Yes, the first one is the one I liked most as well. :)

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#23 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@deadline-zero0:

It's been rumored for a while now that Gurella games of all devs is making an Open world rpg / new ip... If its true (and has been cited multiple times) and I hope it is, it could be amazing (or a complete flop... play as Rico in his adventures in the hood of vekta...hahaha)

Open world environment full of “exotic creatures and lush environments, Robot Dinosaurs and a Red Haired female protagonist.

http://www.onlysp.com/guerrilla-games-ps4-open-world-rpg-include-robot-dinos-lush-environments-exotic-creatures/

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Yeah Sony or MS could make their own GTA game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I thought infamous and crackdown already existed.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

@manny280 said:

Crackdown & Fable

I wouldn't call that new Fable open world.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Shielder7 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

So you mean open world RPGs?

Because they're a really niche market that take a long time to make, are very costly and usually do very well or bomb. Look how many bugs are in Skyrim and how long they worked on it.

MS does have the fable series, but it sucks.

Not an RPG. But callign teh Skyrim, GTA and AC market niche is wrong. That's what i mean. I can't speak for Crackdonw, but like i said with inFamous, i felt the main difference was how big the world was, and how, thanks to Cole's powers, it feel even smaller compared to those other games.

Traversal is harder and takes more time on GTA and others. Also, they focus more on side activities and variety in general.

I guess it's the difference between games that, in my completly honest opinion, feel like proper sandboxes, like Skyrim, GTA, WD (for all my meh about it) and others like Batman Arkham City, even.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DEadliNE-Zero0

@Midnightshade29 said:

@deadline-zero0:

It's been rumored for a while now that Gurella games of all devs is making an Open world rpg / new ip... If its true (and has been cited multiple times) and I hope it is, it could be amazing (or a complete flop... play as Rico in his adventures in the hood of vekta...hahaha)

Open world environment full of “exotic creatures and lush environments, Robot Dinosaurs and a Red Haired female protagonist.

http://www.onlysp.com/guerrilla-games-ps4-open-world-rpg-include-robot-dinos-lush-environments-exotic-creatures/

Yeah i know about it. Really interested in seeing how it turns out, but i see it onyl coming out atleast 2 years from now, probably 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

inFamous. Crackdown.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@FastRobby said:

That zombie game from Sony is an example of Sony spending money in it

H1Z1?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@lostrib: H1Z1?

Dude are posting code? Their going to break it!!!!

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

open world games tend to be a mess. bugged to all hell terrible animations terrible combat the hallmarks of open world games like Skyrim.

console gamers have higher standards.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@pyratrum said:

@Animal-Mother said:

This. And Microsoft has Crackdown.

and fable

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@amazonangry said:

open world games tend to be a mess. bugged to all hell terrible animations terrible combat the hallmarks of open world games like Skyrim.

console gamers have higher standards.

Skyrim was on consoles, the UI was pretty much tailored for control pad input even on PC... the ****?

Also Dragon's Dogma is open world and only on consoles and that has terrible animations, terrible combat? bugged maybe in places... glad I don't share your opinion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i would go one step further and suggest sony, ms, nintendo each could create an open world game for their next genner, maybe even an mmo for their console - which is 'free' but requires the psn / live subscription to play.

in a way, it's a game which requires a sub, at the same time, from the perspective of some consolites - they might feel like it's a free to play game.

so i guess i agree with the overall angle of your idea tc, i just have a slightly modified viewpoint.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@lostrib said:

@FastRobby said:

That zombie game from Sony is an example of Sony spending money in it

H1Z1?

That's not an exclusive console game though. I think the devs of State of Decay is working on an Zombie MMO too.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#39  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@lostrib said:

Isn't Crackdown an openworld exclusive?

Yeah, but TC wants to shove RPG crap into everything for some reason, so it doesn't count.

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

Fable..

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

The problem with Sony and MS making a open-world game like GTA V...... Is they would compete would the greatest open-world franchise which is GTA. We would end up with a saints row type game that doesn't make any sense.

The few open-world exclusive for consoles are lifeless and not engaging. Infamous SS was horrible, boring and bland. Hopefully Sunset Overdrive will be different. It looks fantastic, but im trying to temper my excitement.

Halo 5 is rumored to be open-world, as is UC4. Also Crackdown and FH2 are open world games.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#42 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Infamous, 3D Dot Heroes, Crackdown, Fable.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

The Witness

Crackdown

Infamous second son

Fable

Dead rising 3

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

open world = long dev times and expensive, with the potential of bad reaction to the game. Let 3rd party devs make the choice to go open world, publish the game and pay for exclusive rights.. Much more cost effective and less risk.. Less risk = lower profit it successful though.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

So Bloodborne then.

/thread

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Open world games are overrated. There exist original ideas that need to come to life which is where I'd rather see Sony invest rather than try tick a box that's already filled.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

infamous ,crackdown, sunset, fable, h1z1, forza H

none of these count doe

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts