Why don't peoples like the flight simulators?

• 52 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Why don't peoples like the flight simulators? (35 votes)

Too hard 23%
Boring 31%
Too hard and boring 17%
The media doesn't cover it therefor I don't care 11%
I am unware a mouse and keyboard can be plugged into console 0%
I don't haves the fucking time 9%
Warthunder 3%

Flight Simulators have died off to the point only a handful of centric titles exist, though not wholly dead, the genre is on a drip with only a slight resurgence.

Why do you hate this genre so much?

• 
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I liked the Ace Combat games. Hopefully they make a new one.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

1. not casual enough

2. reality sucks

(note, I do not feel this way)

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

I like it, waiting patiently for the dcs : f/a-18c hornet to get released

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Because it's boring. I don't like any type of simulator.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I think they'll make a comeback once VR hits. I would love to play a flight sim in VR

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Boring to me. My uncle loved it though.

Maybe if it had more production values like better graphics/AI of co-pilot.. fighting other jets or some sort of high PV disaster management with amazingly rendered people, etc... more expensive, shallow, eye candy stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Boring. Dad Games.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napo_sp

@j2zon2591 said:

Boring to me. My uncle loved it though.

Maybe if it had more production values like better graphics/AI of co-pilot.. fighting other jets or some sort of high PV disaster management with amazingly rendered people, etc... more expensive, shallow, eye candy stuff.

nope sorry, everything you saw on top gun or ace combat are no where near the realistic representation of modern aerial combat.

realistic modern aerial combat is like this, you spot a dot on your radar, assess the situation, then lock it if necessary, after that you fire a missile away from 20 nm and do evasive maneuver or turn to other targets all done without seeing the enemy face to face; in fact close range face to face dogfights are something that is preferably avoided by modern fighter pilots than something to be embraced.

same thing with air to ground assault, even more so with today tech, pilots on the air wouldn't even need to see the ground targets, they could GPS bomb the target or their buddies on the ground (allied troops) feed them the targets, pilots simply fire their missiles from long range

somewhat different if they needed to do close air support though, in those situation pilots would need more than electronics sensors and technology marvels to do that mission.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I love them!

I also love Space Simulators (Elite Dangerous FTW) and driving simulators.

Flight sims are one of my favorite genres only surpassed by space sims like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

My hope is that flight sims make a resurgence like space sims have over the years.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I still play IL-2 Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod, FSX, X-Plane, and Pacific Fighters.

Team Fusion:

Loading Video...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

no killstreaks, no perks.. why would anyone spend their time on this trash?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Ask MS. They once had great RTS series and Flight Simulator.

But then it was decided people didn't want those anymore, and instead people wanted casual spin-offs of the harder games. Which failed.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Are you kidding me???

That exaxctly what got me into pc gaming loooooooooong time ago!!!

From F15 Strike eagle or Chuck Yeager's air combat to DCS world or Steel beasts, I've never missed one sim ever!!!

Time sure, flies, but what a hell of a good time !!!

Edit : Should add an option : show fsim some love ;)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I love flight sims but you're acting like we used to have tons of actual sims and now we don't. Truth is actual sims have always been fairly few in number, and we have a few quality titles to choose from now. This biggest hit to the genre has been MS's mishandling of the Flight Simulator series over the past several years. Fortunately last year the tide started to turn by turning the franchise over to Dovetail, who got a properly updated rerelease out, got new content coming for it from Flight1, and are developing a sequel they announced for 2016, but we'll see.

Best thing about flight sims is once you find an engine you really like you can upgrade the assets for years with 3rd party products. No need for an explosion over flight simulator franchises.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 napo_sp

@santoron said:

I love flight sims but you're acting like we used to have tons of actual sims and now we don't. Truth is actual sims have always been fairly few in number, and we have a few quality titles to choose from now. This biggest hit to the genre has been MS's mishandling of the Flight Simulator series over the past several years. Fortunately last year the tide started to turn by turning the franchise over to Dovetail, who got a properly updated rerelease out, got new content coming for it from Flight1, and are developing a sequel they announced for 2016, but we'll see.

Best thing about flight sims is once you find an engine you really like you can upgrade the assets for years with 3rd party products. No need for an explosion over flight simulator franchises.

I disagree, back then the flight sim genre has flourished since the late 80s just like space sim was, and that was quite many years before other pc centric genres like rts/top down and isometric action/strategy and shooters flourished, so indeed back then there were as many as if not actually more memorable flight sim games than rts or shooter titles...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts
@sts106mat said:

I like em. Hoping for something like Ace Combat (4 or 5) or HAWX sometime soon.

Dont think i have the patience for IL2 and stuff like that these days.

Ace Combat 6 was BY far the best in the series.

But Ace Combat games are arcade games. You'll know when you play a simulator, because you'll spend like a week learning how to bloody take off :-P.

HAWX games were really bad. Physics weren't there, you could turn your plane upside down and it wouldn't drift downwards.

People complained AC6 had only 15 planes, but each had wildly different flight characteristics, all the planes felt the same in HAWX. So much more detail in AC6s physics, from the turn rate, the altitudes effects on speed and even how you've rotated the plane effects the speed and it naturally drifts all over the place. Also has better physics for combat vector thrusts (F22) or how the wing shapes effects turn rates at different speeds.

Another problem in HAWX was, because you were always flying at Mach 1, there's no sense of speed.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Flight sims are cool but I prefer more Sci Fi stuff (space sims), which gives devs more opportunity to go crazy with the design. But I'd love to see something like Strike Commander.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Cloud_imperium said:

Flight sims are cool but I prefer more Sci Fi stuff (space sims), which gives devs more opportunity to go crazy with the design. But I'd love to see something like Strike Commander.

Isn't that an old Chris Robert's game back in the Origin days?

Anyway, I still have a few flight sims: Aerofly FS, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, FSX, DCS: Black Shark, X-Plane 9 plus the old CFS2, CFS3, the IL-2 series, and even European Air War. I do need Windows XP and an AMD/ATI video to run the last one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Because it's boring. I don't like any type of simulator.

This. I'd take an arcade racer over a racing simulator any day.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

At the risk of coming off as elitist and condescending, because they are intellectual and require learning before you even play. DCS modules (for example) are basically jumping into a real plane and being asked to start it up, taxi, takeoff, navigate, refuel in-air, dogfight, land, etc. Not so bad with the WWII era planes, but some of the more modern modules can get intensive. I can completely understand why much of it strikes a bore with so many. With some jets you're firing missiles 20 miles away from a target you can't see, and paying attention to avionics and system management 90% of the time. Simulators operate under the principle of the pleasure one garners from an expected learned competence before you can even begin, being able to conquer the game mechanics, and the payoff that comes with it at the end. For many playing games, that payoff isn't worth the effort, or they desire it instantly.

I don't consider simulations to really be games. It takes a certain personality to enjoy die-hard sims such as DCS: those that find the most rewarding experiences are the ones that require time investment and work. Gameplay that's earned and is rewarding on the back end. It's the same reason I love the Silent Hunter series by Ubi: plotting patrol courses, locating ships on sonar, stalking them waiting for the opportune moment, taking weather and time of day into consideration, going to periscope depth, manually IDing ships correctly, plotting accurate torpedo solutions after gathering all needed intel through observation. Then going in for the kill....it all makes that torpedo hit incredibly gratifying when it does occur.

As such, I can 100% understand why it's a niche genre. It's hardcore and demands work and patience. Few play games to work or be patient, they want to come home after work, chillax on their couch, push a button and watch shit blow up. Plus, especially with flight sims, there's the fact that any decent one will usually necessitate additional hardware investments such as a decent stick, rudder pedals, Track IR (and soon VR), which can become costly quickly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts
@jun_aka_pekto said:

I still play IL-2 Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod, FSX, X-Plane, and Pacific Fighters.

Team Fusion:

Loading Video...

This is an excellent game with the mod fix, it's unfortunate it received such a negative first impression.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto

@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Team Fusion:

This is an excellent game with the mod fix, it's unfortunate it received such a negative first impression.

It deserved to get panned when it initially released. The game felt unfinished and it was a hog.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

i always liked ace combat games, but the last game was a total crap, i hope they make a new one , because no other flight simulator games were good enough . only ace combat can bring back a good flight simulator game

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Team Fusion:

It deserved to get panned when it initially released. The game felt unfinished and it was a hog.

i.e. unfortunate.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 napo_sp

@MirkoS77 said:

At the risk of coming off as elitist and condescending, because they are intellectual and require learning before you even play. DCS modules (for example) are basically jumping into a real plane and being asked to start it up, taxi, takeoff, navigate, refuel in-air, dogfight, land, etc. Not so bad with the WWII era planes, but some of the more modern modules can get intensive. I can completely understand why much of it strikes a bore with so many. With some jets you're firing missiles 20 miles away from a target you can't see, and paying attention to avionics and system management 90% of the time. Simulators operate under the principle of the pleasure one garners from an expected learned competence before you can even begin, being able to conquer the game mechanics, and the payoff that comes with it at the end. For many playing games, that payoff isn't worth the effort, or they desire it instantly.

I don't consider simulations to really be games. It takes a certain personality to enjoy die-hard sims such as DCS: those that find the most rewarding experiences are the ones that require time investment and work. Gameplay that's earned and is rewarding on the back end. It's the same reason I love the Silent Hunter series by Ubi: plotting patrol courses, locating ships on sonar, stalking them waiting for the opportune moment, taking weather and time of day into consideration, going to periscope depth, manually IDing ships correctly, plotting accurate torpedo solutions after gathering all needed intel through observation. Then going in for the kill....it all makes that torpedo hit incredibly gratifying when it does occur.

As such, I can 100% understand why it's a niche genre. It's hardcore and demands work and patience. Few play games to work or be patient, they want to come home after work, chillax on their couch, and watch shit blow up. Plus, especially with flight sims, there's the fact that any decent one will usually necessitate additional hardware investments such as a decent stick, rudder pedals, Track IR (and soon VR), which can become costly quickly.

nice and precise words you put there...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Back in the early 90's I used to play hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of USNF (United States Navy Fighters) came with a manual thick as a phone book as well. lol

I wish MS would bring FSX to X1, I'd love it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#30 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Anyway, I still have a few flight sims: Aerofly FS, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, FSX, DCS: Black Shark, X-Plane 9 plus the old CFS2, CFS3, the IL-2 series, and even European Air War. I do need Windows XP and an AMD/ATI video to run the last one.

Yes it is. BTW have you played Falcon series. Those games had really fat ass manuals.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

As such, I can 100% understand why it's a niche genre. It's hardcore and demands work and patience. Few play games to work or be patient, they want to come home after work, chillax on their couch, and watch shit blow up. Plus, especially with flight sims, there's the fact that any decent one will usually necessitate additional hardware investments such as a decent stick, rudder pedals, Track IR (and soon VR), which can become costly quickly.

This.

People can barely get into car racing simulators even though they drive every day. Learning the freaking controls for a jet liner? Impressive, but time consuming.

My friend use to love the shit out of Flight Simulator X. He would role play taking off and landing aircraft and playing flight control with other people online. He's not a fully licensed commercial pilot. That's the type of person that likes flight sims lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#32 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Boring. Dad Games.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yes it is. BTW have you played Falcon series. Those games had really fat ass manuals.

I played the original Falcon (both on PC and Commodore Amiga) back when its developers were still Spectrum Holobyte. Went through Falcon AT, Falcon 3.0, and Microprose Falcon 4.0.

In fact, my first online experience was a 1v1 dogfight in Amiga Falcon via modem to modem. Fantastic at the time.

I still have the Falcon 4.0 binder somewhere. Looks like this one:

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

console gamers don't because there too hard and don't normally fit into the type of game they play, not cinematic enough.

I play FSX a lot, the new Steam version is pretty good to runs better on my system.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Flight simulators.. what a joke. When was the last time Gamespot or IGN covered one of them.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@SecretPolice said:

I wish MS would bring FSX to X1, I'd love it.

Probably not. It barely used multicore processing. At least the original MS versions (like the ones I have) didn't.

I remember posting FSX screenshots chugging along at 1 fps. Ha Ha!

That with a 2.8 GHz Phenom II X3 720BE (4th core enabled), 8GB RAM, ATI HD 5770 (1440x900).

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

To simulate flight properly is has to be boring as **** and have a steep learning curve, most people including myself are put off by that.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Have'em all since the Dos era.

Still recall the bfm lessons video that comes with the 3.0 version...and you can watch here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCFMX5z-ed4

And you had a book for every plane in the game. Memories ;)

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Are we talking about Flight Sims or dog fight games like Ace Combat?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

They require a PC and a joystick. Also time and patience. That's something you can't mass market.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Because you touch yourself at night.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I miss Flight Sims,i never play them anymore,yet never decided to stop playiing them it just happened, i recently bought a Saitek X52 Pro flght stiick but thats for all the space sims coming out,i have yet to use it on any flight sims :(

I spent an insane amount of time in Gunship 2000 and F15 Strike Eagle on my amiga, I also used to play Chocks Away on the Acorn Archimedes at school on my lunch break.

Excuse me im having a huge Nostalgia trip.....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Post is legit as ****.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

They're the most complex and hardest to learn genre around (well.them and other realistic simulators of similiar kind). People love simple things and they don't like to spend dozen of hourse learning how to play.

Anything difficult and complex will always be niche. We should be happy that this niche is big enough on PC that those games still get made at all.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Post is legit as ****.

Here I was thinking I'd be having everyone screaming down my neck from my first sentence. :?

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@MirkoS77: what you said x1000

Apacheguns515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Apacheguns515
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

I for one love flight sims but I know why most people don't. I used to play Falcon 4 which is hailed as the single most realistic military flight simulator ever created, mainly because of the avionics. It came with a basic tech manual that was huge in itself and a downloadable manual that was likely nearly as big as the one for the real F-16. You had to actually sit down and read and practice using avionics and stuff while learning how to actually fly the thing. Join an online fighter squadron with people who took the game extremely seriously and it was a hell of a ride. I remember it took me weeks to get accepted into the squadron because they required you submit a checkride video of you performing specific maneuvers to standard and also required you pass an oral evaluation on avionics and weapons systems and stuff via teamspeak. It was crazy that I actually had to go home at night and study for a video game. I failed 4 times before they finally let me in lol

Plus like some have already said they are "simulators" meaning they simulate real life. Real life is actually boring. Being a real life military pilot isn't like Ace Combat by any means. Even in Falcon 4 you were at war with N Korea and it was absolutely nothing like Ace Combat. The majority of the time was spent flying 2 and 3 hour patrol missions in a huge circle doing absolutely nothing at all. Or flying 3 hours to the very top of N Korea then dropping out of the clouds and dropping a few bombs then flying 3 hours back. Every once and awhile your AWACS would tell you that there were enemy fighters 50 miles away or so outside of your patrol ring only to call back and tell you they turned around once they got close, like they usually do in real life. Damnit...gotta keep flying in a huge 20 mile circle again, thought I could shoot at somebody but nope.

And real life air fights are not like Star Wars with you chasing each other down in close dogfights. Modern missiles have 20-30+ mile ranges. Your "enemy" is a green dot on your radar screen, you fire a missile and it leaves the rail and you might see a faint trail of fire far off in the distance. Thats how Ace Combat works in real life, which is again, boring. Intense in real life but boring in a video game because you aren't actually flying a multimillion dollar fighter jet 20,000ft in the air and you can't actually die..

Or you'd fly 3 hours to drop bombs only to get pinged by an enemy fighter patrol right when you got close forcing you to jettison your bombs and turn around and run. Or you'd pop out and get shot down by a SAM. Or take a few rounds which shot your aircraft up making it super hard to fly and your avionics are gone so you have to spend 4 hours flying at half speed with the joystick jammed all the way to the right and the left rudder pedal pushed to the floor in a very uncomfortable position trying to limp back to friendly territory so you can try to land at a friendly airport.

To me such things are super fun, so most people that is beyond boring. Spending 2 hours planning a mission, 3 hours flying it, and 30 seconds dropping bombs, is a thrill ride to me but I can certainly see how thats not everyones cup of tea...

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Because when I have time to play a game I want to do just that. I don't want to read through manuals and be bored. Ain't nobody got time for learnin.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@intotheminx said:

Because when I have time to play a game I want to do just that. I don't want to read through manuals and be bored. Ain't nobody got time for learnin.

The best sim I've ever played is Space Shuttle simulator on the Amiga, the fucking instruction manual for that was insane, you had a full print out of the control panel for the space shuttle because you had to scroll around to find the buttons so the game was pretty much unplayable without it. All I ever managed to do inthe game was blow it up on the launch pad.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@ten_pints: LOL! Well, if anything I'm sure you had some laughs over it before it became frustrating haha.