Why don't console games have graphical settings?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Doesn't Bioshock on 360 have the ability to increase the frame rate, at a cost of more screen tearing? I don't have the game anymore, but i remember that option.

edit: TheGuardian03 beat me on it!

PAL360

I never played it on 360, but if it gave you an option like that, sounds like maybe it was optional v-sync. Like the game ran well enough to manage a steady 30fps, with v-sync, but wouldn't be able to hit 60, so if you turned off v-sync, it would allow it to spike into the 40s or 50s, resulting in a better framerate, but with screen tearing. I don't really know. That's just what it sounds like to me, if it was an option that would increase framerate, but result in screen tearing.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I also hate M/K for most games.

ShadowMoses900

That's why every single multiplat game from this generation works with a gamepad plugged into the PC. Even several PC exclusives have the option.

Consoles are just more convienant and I think PC fanboys overexaggerate the graphics and performance.

ShadowMoses900

I just started replaying Batman Arkham City, on my roommates new pc (plugged into the big-screen TV, and with a 360 controller), which runs it maxed out, with 40-60 fps. I had just recently played through the whole game on PS3. The difference in both graphics and performance is massive. You would literally have to have vaseline smeared on your face to not see the difference, or even to describe it as any less than "massive". You always say that you think PC fanboys exaggerate it, but the fact is, you think that because you've never actually seen it.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Console gamers don't like to think. And I don't mean this in an offensive manner, I do it too when playing on a console. I expect "plug-n-play" and not to have to spend an hour figuring out key configs and graphical optimization (took me about 1.5 hours to get MSTS up and running a couple weeks ago). Plus, the hardware being locked to the developer's choice allows them to provide a uniform experience to all users.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

The average consolite wouldn't know the difference between the settings or care to look for the options to change them.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

It seems like it would be very beneficial to provide graphical settings for console games.

Don't like massive amounts of bloom? Turn it off.

Don't like exaggerated depth-of-field? Turn it off

Don't like lens-flares? Turn them off.

Don't like intense lag (Far Cry 3:P)? Turn shadows/AO down.

Screwed something up in the settings? Revert to default

They could also provide settings which take advantage of the increased FPS from disabled effects, such as improved shadow filtering and better LOD, or even a higher resolution

I don't really see why console games don't have this option. It would be nothing but beneficial for the players and the developers. The only issue I could see is multiplayer being biased towards those using less effects, but the settings could simply be locked to default for the multiplayer if needed.

GarGx1

Switch off massive amounts of bloom, remove the exaggerated d.o.f. and disable the lens flare would be like removing the make up from a 50 year old prostitute, everyone would see how ugly it really is and no one would want to buy it.

no judgement here... but I would like to know how you know about this... :P

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Console gamers don't like to think. And I don't mean this in an offensive manner, I do it too when playing on a console. I expect "plug-n-play" and not to have to spend an hour figuring out key configs and graphical optimization (took me about 1.5 hours to get MSTS up and running a couple weeks ago). Plus, the hardware being locked to the developer's choice allows them to provide a uniform experience to all users.Zeviander

Or psn/xbl updates, oh wait.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Because they don't work on consoles, just like hardware upgrades don't.

The point of consoles is that you can play anything without any hassle ("plug 'n play" philosophy), not to be forced to bother with any settings, upgrades, drivers, updates, ect.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Grphics settings are pointless on Fixed hardware,Every game should be trying to utiise as much power as possible. it's used in PC games to allow the game to Run on Different PC's with Different Spec levels
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#59 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

The closest thing I've seen to what the TC is talking about is in Bioshock. They allow you to change the frames per second. You could have smooth graphics with low fps, or somewhat uglier graphics for more frames per second.

IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
There is ummmm....... brightness option
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Pick up and play, consoles now already deal with installs and sh*tty updates, let's not give them a clusterf*ck options menu. Just play the game. Most consoles games are now developed and highly optimised to the point that lowering those type of settings wouldn't make a big difference from 30fps.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
settings are on PC's because the dev's can't predict your hardware, settings exists to let the user tune it to their hardware, if there is a set of hardware the dev's can fine tune it themselves, this probably simplifies the game engine alot actualy.
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

That's like saying my current prescription of contact lenses is too strong and I would like something that would blur my vision.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Because console gamers are fine with eating the sh*t directly from the developer's poo holes just as it comes out

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

The whole reason PC games have graphical settings is because of the non-uniform nature of the platform. Where the hardware in one PC to the next is variable (memory, CPU, GPU...) the software needs to allow for adjustments to run optimally on what ever rig it's installed on, within the limits of minimal requirements.

Consoles with their uniform hardware doesn't need adjustable settings for the game, the devs know excatly what the specs are for them. While poor running conditions shouldn't happen in the first place, given that fact, I guess that it does occur comes down to devs always trying to push consoles boundries.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#66 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
you know what's funny? my compulsion with going straight for the settings on all PC games has transferred to the consoles. i go to the settings, then i'm like "oh... it's a console game, i don't have to mess with settings".
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

biden-shaking-head.gif

You get what you're given on consoles.

psymon100
That man is a bigger joke than all the bad threads on this site in the last year, combined.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

turn off the special effects, you'll see how fugly it looks. Turn up the graphics and you'll create a singularity

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
Hey, why don't [loaded question]. Simple format in System Wars: 1. Casually ask question in a way that reveals the downsides of the thing you don't like (usually consoles). And that's it. It's that easy. Really, all you need to know for stealth attacks against things you hate. You're just asking a question, right? You aren't inciting anything, are you? That's right, you're not.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Too complicated.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]Consolites like L0we can't understand them. lowe0
And is this another one of those examples of me making a thread about myself? Anyway, consider the difference between "can't understand" and "don't want to be bothered with".

You have. and your dumbass fell for the bait. This thread is sh!t so nobody really cares if it gets derailed or not.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

That's why PCs exist!

Consoles are dumbed down to cater people who want simple experience. People who are computer illiterate would favour consoles.

It's true that I wished I had some graphical settings when the game runs like crap. But 95% of console exclusives run beautifully, as they are built solely for the particular console. I was quite surprised that Halo Reach dropped some serious performance here and there. This is why it boggles my mind when lems say that 360 handles games better "due to better hardware and memory architecture", yet their exclusives run like crap.

Games that have serious trouble with performance are multiplats, which are much more enjoyable on PC.

GamerwillzPS

curious, you played forza? its one of the most stale games i've touched this gen literally never see it drop even on horizon :) it is down to the developers ability to make the game, but it is notable the setup is much better on the 360 for developing :P

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

The thread isnt't dumb, but TC already knows the answer. Some people just don't like to fiddle with various technical stuff and just play. Why take it away and complicate the gaming experience?

PC gamers are PC gamers with a reason - they like to fiddle with stuff, overclock, install modded drivers for better performance and deliberately break the whole operating system while trying to fix a game that won't work (yeah I did that):D

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Ya, you should have the option to turn bloom off, those things are annoying.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#76 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Consoles take full advantage of the hardware unlike PC's. Try getting a game to look as good as Uncharted 3 on a 256mb ram, 7800gt pc.... not even close lol

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Drasonak"]Hey, why don't [loaded question]. Simple format in System Wars: 1. Casually ask question in a way that reveals the downsides of the thing you don't like (usually consoles). And that's it. It's that easy. Really, all you need to know for stealth attacks against things you hate. You're just asking a question, right? You aren't inciting anything, are you? That's right, you're not.

the term you're looking for is passive-agressive.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Hey, why don't [loaded question]. Simple format in System Wars: 1. Casually ask question in a way that reveals the downsides of the thing you don't like (usually consoles). And that's it. It's that easy. Really, all you need to know for stealth attacks against things you hate. You're just asking a question, right? You aren't inciting anything, are you? That's right, you're not.Drasonak

You're right, issues should be left alone.

They should never be fixed, ever.

I ask a question about something that I don't understand? That makes me a console hater, obviously.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
Question is not why console don't have them.... it should be why PC needs them :p Unlike Console, PC games plays in variority of hardware with different capabilities, there for there need to set up game in the way it will work well in specific hardware, games can do that for you, but hey they did settings then why not let user have control of this so for example he can have faster game if he cuts something
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Some games I try to go to options just to see if there is something like that but under visual settings the only thing you can change brightness.
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

Peasants don't have rights.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

PCgameruk
:lol:
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

Ghost120x

its probably because giving console gamers any perception of choice might make them leave for the pc. once you taste freedom thats all you will want

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

because consolites are lazy, they prefer to just, as they say: "pop in the disc and play" ..they cant be bothered to tweak settings and/or fix minor error problems..

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"][QUOTE="PCgameruk"]

ionusX

its probably because giving console gamers any perception of choice might make them leave for the pc. once you taste freedom thats all you will want

People have more going on in their lives than video games. But it's funny how important you try to make them seem.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

People have more going on in their lives than video games. But it's funny how important you try to make them seem.Drasonak

ionus really gave no measurement of importance in relation to individual's lives.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Oddly enough I just played Perfect Dark on my N64, and there's actually an option for high resolution.

I thought that was pretty neat. The game looks like butt without that turned on :P

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ionusX

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]People have more going on in their lives than video games. But it's funny how important you try to make them seem.lundy86_4

ionus really gave no measurement of importance in relation to individual's lives.

indeed so fail on your part. though choice is very important in a persons life; be it the drink to go with a meal or the next leader of your country.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"]

Then they would be PCs.

Riadon2

I see no reason why they should not adopt some of the PC's better features.

The necessity of tinkering with settings is far from one of the PC's better features.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ionusX

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="clone01"]

Then they would be PCs.

DarthBilf

I see no reason why they should not adopt some of the PC's better features.

The necessity of tinkering with settings is far from one of the PC's better features.

hardly a necessity. wanting higher fps over lowered visual quality is actually a nice system and if you dont think it is then you clearly have never played games @ 60fps or higher before

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Oddly enough I just played Perfect Dark on my N64, and there's actually an option for high resolution.

I thought that was pretty neat. The game looks like butt without that turned on :P

Ly_the_Fairy

The framerate also halves when you turn that on, making the game a choppy mess...

Turok 2 had a similar option if you added the memory expansion. (and also slowed down to a crawl if you turned it on)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Because you don't need options on fixed hardware, the devs do their best to get it right. It's the devs job to make the game and get it running right, my only job is to play it and have fun :)
ShadowHawk676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ShadowHawk676
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts

There really is only one answer to this. Consoles are fixed hardware PC's aren't.

ShadowHawk676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ShadowHawk676
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Because you don't need options on fixed hardware, the devs do their best to get it right. It's the devs job to make the game and get it running right, my only job is to play it and have fun :)

damn should have read the entire thread