Why doesn't Bethesda license out id Tech 6?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

With the Nintendo Switch gaining popularity, I can't help but think that Bethesda is missing out on an opportunity to profit off of its popularity simply by not licensing the engine for Doom 4.

Considering the graphical intense nature of Doom 4, i reckon it was nothing short of a massive undertaking to bring it to Switch and is definitely a testament to how scalable id Software's engine is. If given to the hands of other developers, I reckon that more people would make games for the Switch because of id Tech 6's scalability, more people will buy the Switch and Bethesda will be making money off of people wanting to make games for the Switch and will first go to them for a game engine that allows for Switch/PS4/XB1/PC development, rather than the PS4/XB1/PC standard.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I honestly was hoping ID Tech would be utilized by every development studio Zenimax owns when they bought up ID, similar to how EA uses Frostbite. Pretty disappointed it isn't used in more games, ID Tech is great.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

That's a good question. The engine scales really well to whatever hardware is using it. It also produces good graphics.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I'd like to see them reboot Heretic or Hexen like they did with Doom and Wolfenstein.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

DOOM is not a demanding game and the Switch still runs the game at 30fps. That just shows how pathetic the Switch hardware is. iD Tech 6 can not do miracles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

the whole licensing engines thing has kind of scaled back this gen. last year it was huge business (with epic raking it in in particular) but now it makes more sense for big publishers in particular to have their own in house tech.

so i dont see the likes of EA, activision and ubisoft using IDtech 6. indies and AA developers could certainly use it but i dont think the money is there to make it worth IDs time. its also quite a competitive area as is with unreal, unity and so on.

i think zenimax are trying to get all in house devs to use it but its having teething issues as i understand it. ID themselves used it to great effect in doom. but i think dishonoured 2 and the new colossus had some issues. so there may still be a big chunk of work ahead for the engine to work well with games like an elder scrolls say.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Id tech 6 should indeed be used by waaay more games. What if they used it for the next Elder Scrolls. O.O

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@johndmgs: That would be awesome. Check out the upcoming Witchfire if you haven't.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Having a in house engine that provides cutting edge graphic and great performance is the best marketing tool you can have and by licensing out the engine you over saturate the market which potentially could reduce sales in your own games.

That being said where is Wolfenstein for the Switch?... They are probably creating a new level of graphical settings for the game to get it to run like Doom. Good luck to them Wolfensteins 2 is more demanding that Doom and that thing runs at 540p in hand held mode at settings that are lower than anything possible on the PC version.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

probably because all the big AAA devs are making their own engines so they don't have to license what they don't have to

I mean, seemed like everyone used Unreal Engine last gen, now not so much, even though they're practically giving it away for free (on a condition of a royalty split, which is probably why people still aren't using it)

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@quatoe said:

I honestly was hoping ID Tech would be utilized by every development studio Zenimax owns when they bought up ID, similar to how EA uses Frostbite. Pretty disappointed it isn't used in more games, ID Tech is great.

its not a good idea to force it on developers, the cost of switching engines can be pretty significant especially if there are tons of customization to facilitate a particular game type.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a pretty good example of what happens when an engine is forcefully switched. Not saying they can't switch but they have to be prepared to do a lot of work, and that sometimes means just its still more cost effective and sensible to build on top of what you already have.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@waahahah: That is very true. Forcing a new engine on developers can definitely make it more difficult for them to put their ideas into play and overall optimization of the product plus the cost factors.

Would be cool if they gave the toolset to the developers and let them alter aspects of the engine itself to fall more in line for what they want to achieve.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By waahahah

@quatoe said:

@waahahah: That is very true. Forcing a new engine on developers can definitely make it more difficult for them to put their ideas into play and overall optimization of the product plus the cost factors.

Would be cool if they gave the toolset to the developers and let them alter aspects of the engine itself to fall more in line for what they want to achieve.

toolset? Internal developers get all the source code. But again take Andromeda as a good example of why its bad to force developers to use it. Bioware had a lot of custom software for animations that didn't just magically work on frostbite... then look at the facial animations in Mass Effect Andromeda...

Loading Video...

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

I would like that. One of the things i hate about Bethebugs is how unpolished their engine is. It's just trash.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

it's a good question and one that i have thought about a lot. That said, it's great for Bethesda to have that egde. I'm sure another doom is getting built off of it. Wish the Evil Within ran off it....maybe the next?

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 waahahah

@quatoe said:

@waahahah: I just started Andromeda recently and was honestly pretty shocked at how the animations paled to ME 2 and ME 3. I am only 4 hours in so far but the lack of any emotion in the faces and the dead eyed stare they give make them feel as lifeless as Husks.

and that's because frostbite was forced on them when they likely didn't have a lot of tooling ported to it that supported their workflow, or many people that had in depth knowledge of it. Seeing as they are owned by EA and so isn't the frostbite engine, I HIGHLY doubt they were restricted in any way other than restricted with time and using what they had already built.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

The problem with last gen was majority of games used unreal engine 3. literally every AAA game is using that engine.

nowadays every developer have thier own engine to use.

Id tech 6 will be use in Doom 2.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

ID engine is great. That shit runs every game at like 200 fps ultra settings. Doesn't look as good as some other engines, but it runs smooth as butter.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

You people think just because you have good performing engine that could produce good graphics is enough to make it available to third parties. No one has seen the ID Tech 6 and we know nothing about its tools. To license out the engine you have to meet certain criteria in order to be considered by other developers like tools, user friendly or other features and also dedicate enough resources to support and license the engines to other third parties which Bethesda or ID software may not have currently. We already have an example of Cryengine in front of us it produced good and competent product when Crytek developed on it but lately it has accumulated a reputation of bad engine because other devs couldn't work with it.

Another example of Naughty Dog's engine. UC4 is a great looking and performing game but I can gurantee no developer (at least indie) will consider that engine even if developing exclusively for PS4 since Naughty Dog only uses their engine to script AI and path finding and other such things. It doesn't even have a level editor. They use Maya to do all their level and all kinds of modeling.