Why does the XBONE controller still using AA batteries?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EddyG0RD0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 EddyG0RD0
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

feels so...outdated , old...

same goes for the power brick...so EXTRA...so outside...

the design team at M$ really sucks

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That grammar:-\

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

I bet you can't Xbox Live Gold required.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

So MS can rip off fools by buying charge kits. AA batteries don't even fit snug and rattle like a snake.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

it's part of secret kinect technology

EddyG0RD0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EddyG0RD0
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

yeah if there are grammar mistakes sorry for ma ingrish

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I prefer being able to swap in a pair of charged AA batteries while the old ones recharge, rather than being tethered to the console when the pad needs to recharge.

They should include rechargeable batteries with the console though.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

When batteries die you can quickly change them instead of having to go wired. If you have two pairs of rechargable batteries you just switch between them over and over.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

meh chana like the xbox controller

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@edidili said:

When batteries die you can quickly change them instead of having to go wired. If you have two pairs of rechargable batteries you just switch between them over and over.

this not to mention they are cheap as chips nowadays :P i done fine with the Wii doing this aswell and it works out cheap as hell in the long run.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Its because MS fans have proven they dont mind being fleeced at every opportunity for everything so MS continues robbing people blind.

They really only have themselves to blame.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@l34052 said:

Its because MS fans have proven they dont mind being fleeced at every opportunity for everything so MS continues robbing people blind.

They really only have themselves to blame.

buying a cheap durable,decent set of rechargable AA batteries which come in handy for multiple things, doing it right.

buying a play and charge kit...doing it wrong.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

These so called "old" AA batteries last over 100 hours. Compared to bankrupt Sony who cut every corner like removal of pressure sensitive buttons and a battery that lasts 5 hours.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

It amazes me how people will try and argue that having to buy a seperate rechargable battery and charge kit or seperate recharble batteries along with a charger is a better idea than having a rechargable battery built into the controller LOLOL.

Where has all the common sense gone?!?!?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@EddyG0RD0 said:

Why does there have to be a thread about this EVERY FRICKEN WEEK? Seriously, just because the PS4 launch got owned by the Xbox One launch doesn't mean you cows can start being broken records.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@razgriz_101 said:

@edidili said:

this not to mention they are cheap as chips nowadays :P i done fine with the Wii doing this aswell and it works out cheap as hell in the long run.

Yeah same, there's market every saturday near where i live and i can pick up a 50 pack of decent AA batteries for like 8 Euro. The only downside is disposal.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@l34052 said:

It amazes me how people will try and argue that having to buy a seperate rechargable battery and charge kit or seperate recharble batteries along with a charger is a better idea than having a rechargable battery built into the controller LOLOL.

I didn't have to buy anything. I have a few sets of chargeable AA batteries. They are Sanyo Eneloops which last AT LEAST twice as long as the DS3 controller and even longer compared to the DS4 controller. Also, batteries degrade over time. I'm happy to have replaceable ones.

Would you believe that some people just don't think the same as you? There are many people who are against non replaceable batteries. Do a search for "iphone non replaceable battery", you'll see that there are many people who don't want integrated batteries and there are some who want it. Its not a black and white issue. Stop acting like it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It makes sense to me. Rechargeables are very cheap, these days. When all is said and done, 360 controllers will likely outlast ps3 controllers. AA batteries will always be easy to find, whereas the specific batteries in Dualshocks/etc will require one to hunt online as that format evolves and specifics are never that popular. It seems silly, but in reality it is a very consumer friendly move.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@danabo said:

I bet you can't Xbox Live Gold required.

I lol'd

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

I'm not sure, they definitely need to outsource to another firm if they are still in it for next-next gen. They have to do a better job of hardware design.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I was amazed that MS had the nerve to charge $60 for a last gen controller. Those alkaline batteries make it too heavy. Nintendo is $10 cheaper, is light as a feather and has a 80 hour rechargeable Li ion battery.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

I prefer AA batteries over built in. I have 2 pairs of Sanyo Eneloops for my Xbox 360 controller. they collectively last me about 3 weeks or maybe slightly more. I only charge them when both pairs are dead and if I need to game between that time i use my old play and charge cable. Now with Xbox One you can simply use a micro usb cable to connect your controller so that's even better. Problem with built in batteries is you can't replace them when they die or become weak but at least dualshock 3 had excellent battery life. According to PS4 owners Dualshock 4 lasts only 8-10 hours per charge which is atrocious and would require frequent plug in. DS4 really should have had AA batteries.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Im sure it has nothing to do with Microsoft selling their little plug and play charge kit and rechargeable pack. Im sure its purely a design decision for the sake of the consumer because AA batteries are better than rechargeable ones. That's Microsoft always thinking of the consumer.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

So MS can charge the same amount for the controller and make additional revenue off of people buying charge n play packs.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@EddyG0RD0:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q#t=17

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clr84651

@Harisemo said:

I prefer AA batteries over built in. I have 2 pairs of Sanyo Eneloops for my Xbox 360 controller. they collectively last me about 3 weeks or maybe slightly more. I only charge them when both pairs are dead and if I need to game between that time i use my old play and charge cable. Now with Xbox One you can simply use a micro usb cable to connect your controller so that's even better. Problem with built in batteries is you can't replace them when they die or become weak but at least dualshock 3 had excellent battery life. According to PS4 owners Dualshock 4 lasts only 8-10 hours per charge which is atrocious and would require frequent plug in. DS4 really should have had AA batteries.

According to this PS4 owner who is also a PS3 owner says both last plenty long enough. I also know from playing 360 that Xbox owners would like it better if MS made the controllers with built in rechargable batteries. I always see Xfans making excuses as to why somehting on an xbox is better than something on a PS although it's not. Most electronics; cell phones, chordless home phones, laptops, ipods, etc all have rechargable batteries built in, because it's better. Just because MS chooses to stay back in the 90s with their controllers power supply doesn't make it good.

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

I like the fact they are not part of the controller.

I went though 2 DS3's last gen cause they didn't hold a charge for more than 5 hours after a period of time..it irked me i had to buy new controllers when all i needed was a battery that could hold more than 50 cycles.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

@EddyG0RD0 said:

Reason why, when you force a battery in the controller and none removable, what happens? eventually that controller wont hold a charge and your back in the PS2 days. Xbox gives you an opportunity to buy a kit and save $60 or more each year buy a new controller so your not forced to stay plugged in.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@Harisemo said:

According to this PS4 owner who is also a PS3 owner says both last plenty long enough. I also know from playing 360 that Xbox owners would like it better if MS made the controllers with built in rechargable batteries. I always see Xfans making excuses as to why somehting on an xbox is better than something on a PS although it's not. Most electronics; cell phones, chordless home phones, laptops, ipods, etc all have rechargable batteries built in, because it's better. Just because MS chooses to stay back in the 90s with their controllers power supply doesn't make it good.

You can't speak for every Xbox fan so don't even try. Not everyone likes built in batteries and not every Xbox fan wants them. I like the choice of either using rechargeable or using regular. Xbox fans have that choice while PS fans don't. What I don't understand is why choice is a bad thing around here. Cows didn't seem to like choice when the 360 launched and it seems they don't like choice now.

Sorry dude but saying rechargeable is better is just your opinion. Choice is better and always will be.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

So MS can rip off fools by buying charge kits. AA batteries don't even fit snug and rattle like a snake.

BS, i have been using AA batteries in my 360 for years, NO rattle and at under a quid for 12 batteries it's not expensive and AA batteries have several advantages

1,The controller is lighter than with a charge pack or internal L-ion battery.

2. you don't have to open up your controller when the battery eventually loses charge.

3. you don't have to wait for your controller to charge before using the controller.

And before anyone jumps in with the BS , ALL rechargeable batteries lose there charge over time, even if you completely drain them and completely recharge them every time.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference but one is just as good as the other in my opinion.

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

because replaceable is better than non replaceable.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

Its the same as swapping disc 2 while gaming. Something lemmings enjoyed doing. They make good pets.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

Probably because high capacity LSD rechargeable batteries tend to be slightly bigger than standard AAs. So people like me that dont like to settle for garbage li-ion batteries or disposables have a much better solution.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

We already had a thread on this. Just like lemmings aren't smart enough to spend their money on the technologically superior console, they also aren't smart enough to remember to charge their controllers, so they have to further waste their money on batteries. They said it in the last thread and they said it here too. At least they have endless money to piss away on the MS empire - MS will be around forever.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BeardMaster

@delta3074 said:

@killzowned24 said:

BS, i have been using AA batteries in my 360 for years, NO rattle and at under a quid for 12 batteries it's not expensive and AA batteries have several advantages

2. you don't have to open up your controller when the battery eventually loses charge.

3. you don't have to wait for your controller to charge before using the controller.

And before anyone jumps in with the BS , ALL rechargeable batteries lose there charge over time, even if you completely drain them and completely recharge them every time.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preference but one is just as good as the other in my opinion.

All batteries do, but eneloops are rated for 1000 charges and have a capacity of 2000mAh.

By comparison the PS4 controller is rated for 300-500 charges and has a capacity of 1000MAh.

So the PS4 controller will need to be charged twice as often, and can only be recharged half as many times. Meaning eneloops will provide a better experience and last over 4x as long before needing to be replaced.

I would highly recommend getting a 4 pack of eneloops and a cheap smart charger vs disposables, will save you money in the long run and you never have to worry about running out of batteries. Plus if you are rotating batteries as they die thats 2000 charges between the two sets. If you are charging them once a week, you can take those batteries to the grave.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By delta3074

@BeardMaster said:

@delta3074 said:

@killzowned24 said:

All batteries do, but eneloops are rated for 1000 charges and have a capacity of 2000mAh.

By comparison the PS4 controller is rated for 300-500 charges and has a capacity of 1000MAh.

So the PS4 controller will need to be charged twice as often, and can only be recharged half as many times. Meaning eneloops will provide a better experience and last over 4x as long before needing to be replaced.

I would highly recommend getting a 4 pack of eneloops and a cheap smart charger vs disposables, will save you money in the long run and you never have to worry about running out of batteries. Plus if you are rotating batteries as they die thats 2000 charges between the two sets. If you are charging them once a week, you can take those batteries to the grave.

cheers man, gonna look into getting some of those batteries, it will save me some money thats for sure, again, cheers for the info:)

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By clr84651

@kingtito said:

@clr84651 said:

@Harisemo said:

You can't speak for every Xbox fan so don't even try. Not everyone likes built in batteries and not every Xbox fan wants them. I like the choice of either using rechargeable or using regular. Xbox fans have that choice while PS fans don't. What I don't understand is why choice is a bad thing around here. Cows didn't seem to like choice when the 360 launched and it seems they don't like choice now.

Sorry dude but saying rechargeable is better is just your opinion. Choice is better and always will be.

Sorry, but I believe since electronic devices are going the built in rechargable route, that it is infact better. Bluray is better and MS adopted it. MS needs to go rechargable controllers as well. MS came out component with the 360 and then added HDMI in as it is better. You would like rechargable better believe me & stop being dumb about it just because MS hasn't done it.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@EddyG0RD0 said:

Because choices > no choices.

I've been using the same set of rechargeable eneloop batteries for 5 days and still haven't need to recharge them. and i have a fresh pair waiting. never having to plug in my controller is a feature that is priceless

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it's a conspiracy between ms, the nsa, and big battery.

infowars.com did a peice on it right after they outed kinect donggate.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

@edidili:

This. I prefer being able to change out batts on the fly and never have to plug my controller in. My system is not close enough for me to charge while playing.

I do think however they should be including two sets of rechargeable batteries and a wall charger. I paid like $20 for a charger and 4aa batteries. They should just skip the play and charge all together and partner with energizer and do a batt charger pack.

I'm my opinion replaceable batteries are better but they should be included in the cost of the controller for the One. Not sold as an extra.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 delta3074

@clr84651 said:

@Harisemo said:

Load of rubbish, i would much rather have the choice, i know from experience that ALL batteries lose there charge so with the DS4 you will eventually have to buy a new battery and install it and as somebody pointed, there are rechargeable batterys that last twice as long Before needing to be charged and last twice as many recharges before they lose charge.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, to discard one as 'rubbish' just because you consider it an 'old' method is completely stupid really..

Using mobile phones is a bad example as well, the batteries in those lose there charge really quickly.

The 'everyone else does it so it must be the best' argument is lame as hell man.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Okay.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@l34052 said:

Those rechargeable AA work in other household appliances. So I'd need them either way.

The common sense is all there, bruv. But you have fun turning your wireless controller into a wired one.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

its innovative and has a much better balance

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BeardMaster

@clr84651 said:

@kingtito said:

@clr84651 said:

@Harisemo said:

Sorry, but I believe since electronic devices are going the built in rechargable route, that it is infact better. Bluray is better and MS adopted it. MS needs to go rechargable controllers as well. MS came out component with the 360 and then added HDMI in as it is better. You would like rechargable better believe me & stop being dumb about it just because MS hasn't done it.

Rechargeable AAs as an option is always superior. Built in Li-ion batteries are only better if it is necessary to fit in a condensed form factor, such as with cell phones.

But since controllers dont need to fit in my pocket, being able to use rechargeable AAs is a much better option for me and anyone that knows the value of LSD batteries.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@kingtito said:

@clr84651 said:

@Harisemo said:

Sorry, but I believe since electronic devices are going the built in rechargable route, that it is infact better. Bluray is better and MS adopted it. MS needs to go rechargable controllers as well. MS came out component with the 360 and then added HDMI in as it is better.You would like rechargable better believe me & stop being dumb about it just because MS hasn't done it.

Those devices you mentioned with rechargeable batteries wouldn't really work with regular so that point is pretty much moot. Controllers don't need rechargeable batteries as batteries sometimes fail and degrade over time. Just because certain products use rechargeable batteries doesn't mean it's the best option for every electronic device.

BR has more space and THAT is needed for physical media these days but digital distribution is better however. MS doesn't need to go to the rechargeable route, choice>>>>>>>>no choice

Xbox controllers give you that choice, PS ones don't.

MS launched the 360 before HDMI finalized it's standard and before it became the standard.

I'm being dumb because I like choice? News flash kid....I've owned every PS to date and I plan on getting the PS4 later. Don't tell me what I'd like or don't like. Many times I've had to sit and wait to play my PS games because my controller was dead. I never had that problem with my 360 controller.

Maybe you should grow up before you start telling people that they do or don't like. Until then choice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no choices

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BeardMaster

@delta3074 said:

@BeardMaster said:

@delta3074 said:

@killzowned24 said:

cheers man, gonna look into getting some of those batteries, it will save me some money thats for sure, again, cheers for the info:)

No problem, glad to turn others onto the wonderful world of eneloops. Most people dont realize how much better a good set of rechargeables are vs the crappy ones most people pickup on the cheap. Just make sure to get a smart charger, a dumb charger can severely degrade your batteries.

EDIT: also i bungled the numbers i forgot eneloops are now rated for 1500 charges, not 1000... so yea, even better.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

You can replace them... and everyone should get the play and charge kit. Replaceable batteries are a terrific design choice.