Why does KB/M get a free pass as the best controller/methods?

• 106 results
rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

Ask MS why PC/xbone crossplay is not a thing any more and you'll know why KB/mouse is superior.

mumunaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mumunaro
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

For the biggest genres, KBM is far more superior. Thats why it gets a free pass.

All shooters(fps and tps), all strategy(real time and turn based), RPGs, card games, city sims and mobas are superior with KBM.

In fact. Kbm performs very adequately with racing, platforming and flying sims.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@MarkoftheSivak said:

Okay, for some genre's it is true. For turn-based and real-time strategy games, especially 4x, the keyboard and mouse are the best form of control...however....

For arpg's ala Diablo franchise which I use to think would only work with KB/M, I prefer with a controller and am never going back to KB/M for my arpg's, it just "feels" so much better with a controller.

I also prefer FPS with a controller, why does the KB/M automatically get considered the best method of control for these? I have to keep lifting the mouse if I aim too far, etc. Ewwww

And for action adventure a gamepad is so much better than a mouse and keyboard that it's not even close.

So why does a KB/M get a free pass as the best method of controller? Apart from strategy games I think it falls far, far behind.

it doesnt get a free pass, its been tested, so it snot a 'free pass'

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@mumunaro said:

For the biggest genres, KBM is far more superior. Thats why it gets a free pass.

All shooters(fps and tps), all strategy(real time and turn based), RPGs, card games, city sims and mobas are superior with KBM.

In fact. Kbm performs very adequately with racing, platforming and flying sims.

now farming sims however it might be the same between the two kinds of inputs :)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:
@crimsonllama said:
@kingsfan_0333 said:

Can someone explain to my why PC gamers get upset when I suggest that since KB/M is far more accurate than controllers that means that KB/M requires less skill?

Reading through this thread, I would have thought that was the point. Problem is too many pc gamers are children who can't accept any criticism whatsoever.

Here's the thing, though: the 1:1 movement of the mouse removes the skill ceiling almost entirely. You can be as good at the game as your reflexes allow.

Watch some Xbox/Playstation FPS matches on YouTube and compare them to PC matches. You'll notice there's a lot more movement in all three dimensions with the PC players, because the 1:1 of the mouse allows more natural movement. The PC matches are also a whole lot faster.

This is where skill comes in, as on PC skill isn't all about your aim but also your dexterity. You couldn't have matches as fast and hectic as they are on PC if you were using a controller.

But a controller is always an option on PC, so plug one in and go up against some mouse and keyboarders. Post results.

And that's exactly it. If everyone has the same inputs on both platforms, then why would one automatically require more skill than the other when competing against other people?

Facing AI only, this may be a legitimate argument. But, again, I've seen people that were better with controllers than with mouse and keyboard, so that is a thing.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

And that's exactly it. If everyone has the same inputs on both platforms, then why would one automatically require more skill than the other when competing against other people?

Facing AI only, this may be a legitimate argument. But, again, I've seen people that were better with controllers than with mouse and keyboard, so that is a thing.

A mouse and keyboard allow for more skill because reflexes are not restricted. On a controller, you can only turn so fast. I've never seen a controller user pull off a rocket jump with a soldier in TF2, switch to shotgun mid-arc, blast someone dead, switch to shovel and tag someone in the head as they land. That's a pretty common occurrence on the PC.

And of course, if you take someone who is only used to controllers and give them a mouse and keyboard, they're gonna suck. Like anything, it takes practice and acclimation.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#57 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
@Byshop said:
@MarkoftheSivak said:

Thank you @naz99, all valid points, I never considered the scrolling button for zoom ins.

My only thing is with switching weapons I like using the shoulder buttons, but I guess you could assign that to right button on mouse?

Anyway, @naz99 made some valid points and I appreciate it, feel free to close this.

So KB/M is kinda the fight stick to fps as the fight stick is to fighters. THanks guys.

The short answer is the degree of precision you get with a mouse. Correctly configured mouse movement is 1:1 to movement in-game, as opposed to stick based movement which "pushes" your perspective in different directions at different rates of speed depending on how far you've moved the stick away from center. A skilled FPS player with a mouse can turn to aim at whatever they need to basically as fast as their hand can move, which is something you literally can't do with an analog stick (or at least not as quickly as you potentially can with a mouse).

That said, if I'm not playing a game online I'm perfectly fine with using a controller even for shooters. Often I'd rather chill on my couch and play a game than sit at my desk or use a lapdesk for KB/Mouse. Also, just because a mouse is more precise that doesn't necessarily make it better for every type of game. Games where the ability to pan/spin continuously aren't ideal because the mouse has a limited range of motion, whereas a stick can be held down in a given direction indefinitely. Flight sims spring to mind, although there are modern ones that add mouse specific control schemes to help bridge that gap. Also, I'd take a force feedback wheel for racing games any day.

-Byshop

This. There's a minimum duration to perform certain movements with an analogue stick. Time costs efficiency.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

When I first started playing Doom LAN MP a long time ago, it was choose your own control scheme. Me? I personally started out with a joystick and mouse. It was a great setup for circle-strafing. But, it was lacking in other areas. I also tried a Gravis Game Pad and a Space Orb 360. But, in the end, keyboard and mouse turned out to be the most flexible.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

When I first started playing Doom LAN MP a long time ago, it was choose your own control scheme. Me? I personally started out with a joystick and mouse.

Keyboard only. It's not like you had to look up and down. :-p

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Really, it all comes down to preference.

I would probably play my PS4 a lot more if it had a mouse and keyboard setup. And if it had more good games :P Controllers are small and awkward and holding my hands together cradling a piece of plastic just feels odd. I know that probably sounds strange to console owners, but preferring a controller sounds pretty odd to me.

At my desk with my PC, my arms rest comfortably at a neutral position over mouse and keyboard, with my Cherry switches responding to my touch. I can simultaneously move acrobatically, smoke some fool, then type out something at 75 words per minute, and get right back to gaming.

A controller is finite, constrained, limiting. A keyboard is infinite, free, and limitless.

A thumbstick forces you to pan at a certain rate that it cumbersome and imprecise. A mouse flicks with high precision near-instantly to where I want the cursor/my view to be.

A controller forces you to click, click, click through every item in your inventory, while with a mouse I can just select the item.

@ArchoNils2 said:
@Litchie said:

If one have to explain to you why M+KB is better than a controller for FPSs, you aren't worth replying to.

haha this ^

Also no, it's not a "free pass" that kb/m is "always" better. Usually statements like this are tied to a genre. I doubt you find people who say that Fighters and Platformers are best played on kb/m.

Yeah, it's not a "free pass". Mouse and keyboard is objectively better for literally everything except racing games and maybe fighting games.

There's no accounting for taste, though; if someone prefers controller, that's your choice.

@kingsfan_0333 said:

Can someone explain to my why PC gamers get upset when I suggest that since KB/M is far more accurate than controllers that means that KB/M requires less skill?

Probably the same reason people get upset with flat earth theorists. It's beyond stupid. Offensively stupid, you could say. It is not so much that your belief is targeted at me as to be offensive, as it simply is offensive on it's own.

To answer your question, though: generally when something is more capable, it raises the bar of what you can do, raising the skill level you need to use it to it's fullest potential...so a KB/M requires more skill to master, while a controller has a relatively low bar because you can only do so much with it.

Just about any adult can drive a Honda Civic to its fullest potential on city streets. Not everyone can take a Porsche to its limits on the Nurburgring.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mrbojangles25

@storm_of_swords said:
@zaryia said:

That's your opinion.

Factually speaking, KB/M is objectively better for just about any Shooter due to the precision and speed.

That would only be true if you think that precision and speed are the only thing that matters. What if you value comfort and immersiveness over precision and speed?

I find being a capable player in a game to be the most immersive thing. I am constantly pulled out of the game by the limitations of a controller, whereas with a keyboard and mouse I know I am capable of doing everything I need to do, and doing it efficiently.

I am painfully aware of a controller in my hand when I play on consoles. I don't notice my mouse and keyboard in my hands when I play on PC.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

KB/M is very versatile. Almost any genres can be played on it and be viable.
Controllers aren't easy to use when playing shooters, especially those that need fast reflexes.

I'd argue that even in 3rd person adventure games(I prefer KB/M on Dark Souls III than controllers), it's a much easier device to use due to macros and layout.

But at the end of the day, it's all about preference. You could argue all you want, but it's all about preferences.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 DragonfireXZ95
@jasonofa36 said:

KB/M is very versatile. Almost any genres can be played on it and be viable.

Controllers aren't easy to use when playing shooters, especially those that need fast reflexes.

I'd argue that even in 3rd person adventure games(I prefer KB/M on Dark Souls III than controllers), it's a much easier device to use due to macros and layout.

But at the end of the day, it's all about preference. You could argue all you want, but it's all about preferences.

I find Dark Souls 3 harder to play, but that might be because I'm used to the controller from my PS3 days with Demon's Souls. However, I do agree that most 3rd person adventure games I enjoy much more on M&K; Assassin's Creed Odyssey being the latest. The M&K controls are fantastic, and I'm playing on the 2nd highest difficulty and enjoying it immensely(I was on the highest, but the game rarely ever saves, and dying came much easier, and I just got sick of losing the last 20 minutes of progress clearing a fort if I accidentally died, so I lowered it one notch).

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah, maybe DS3 wasn't a good example, but at least you get the picture :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@br0kenrabbit said:

Keyboard only. It's not like you had to look up and down. :-p

It was still better to turn with a mouse (mouselook). I've had a mouse with my games since the latter half of the 80's.

Even back then, most of us had already discovered how convoluted keyboard-only gaming is.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Because controlling a camera in 3D game with controller sucks and will always suck.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Old outdated tech...... Last time I used KB/M for gaming... I fell off mah dinosaur. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c203f71675ff
deactivated-5c203f71675ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By deactivated-5c203f71675ff
Member since 2018 • 231 Posts

Because PC users are a vocal minority.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@storm_of_swords said:
@zaryia said:

That's your opinion.

Factually speaking, KB/M is objectively better for just about any Shooter due to the precision and speed.

That would only be true if you think that precision and speed are the only thing that matters. What if you value comfort and immersiveness over precision and speed?

There is nothing that gives you less comfort then holding a controller that the xbox/ps4 uses. Holding hands together like that is unnatural like hell. Atleast nintendo got that memo with wii/switch.

Keyboard mouse is far more comfortable then what sony/microsoft got.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@Gatygun said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@zaryia said:

That's your opinion.

There is nothing that gives you less comfort then holding a controller.

Really...? Did you know some people develop tendinitis because of prolonged use of KBM?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@mariah_eater said:

Because PC users are a vocal minority.

PC has the most users on Earth, more than any other system by a lot. That's not including web/browser games.

Also the most played and popular genres on Earth are exclusive on PC or mostly played on PC.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Just one thing, keyboards have 8-way control, all you need to do is press two keys at the same time, for example Pressing 'W' + 'D' makes you move forward and right, it's not a complicated or difficult action. I sure you know that though.

The only thing that controllers can do that a keyboard can't is move at incremental speeds due to the binary nature of keyboard buttons and the only time I ever notice that is following other NPC's that are programmed to only walk. There is more often than not a walk key as well to counter that though (who the heck walks in a game anyway?).

The most annoying thing I find with controllers is not being able to look around or aim while reloading, jumping, crouching or sprinting (the normal actions applied to the four thumb buttons) as I don't have two thumbs on my right hand (or my left for that matter) meaning I have to let go of the aiming control (normally right stick) while performing any of those actions. For me Keyboard and mouse is just better in every way.

Controllers are generally better for Fighting games (at least that's what I've been told, I don't play them) and Driving games but even then there are better options available such as fight sticks and steering wheels, for those who are serious anyway. Controllers are acceptable for most genres but are not optimal for any.

Yeah I definitely meant that when I said KB has 8-way control. It actually works great for many fighting games since the best ones only have 8 input directions. I frequently use my kb to play Tekken and Soul Calibur, sometimes Street Fighter III 3s. Arcade sticks work better for most arcade fg's of course, but I actually think I perform better on KB with some Tekken characters like Bryan Fury.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@zaryia: no shit, Sherlock, it's as if PC isn't used for something like... PRODUCTIVITY.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Zaryia
@mariah_eater said:

@zaryia: no shit, Sherlock, it's as if PC isn't used for something like... PRODUCTIVITY.

I was strictly talking for video games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@zaryia said:
@mariah_eater said:

You didn't specify that.

And only MP games have a high userbase, those users are casuals and don't come to forums, hence, you're a vocal minority.

Pixel_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76 Pixel_Mage
Member since 2018 • 80 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I find being a capable player in a game to be the most immersive thing. I am constantly pulled out of the game by the limitations of a controller, whereas with a keyboard and mouse I know I am capable of doing everything I need to do, and doing it efficiently.

I am painfully aware of a controller in my hand when I play on consoles. I don't notice my mouse and keyboard in my hands when I play on PC.

@Gatygun said:

There is nothing that gives you less comfort then holding a controller that the xbox/ps4 uses. Holding hands together like that is unnatural like hell. Atleast nintendo got that memo with wii/switch.

Keyboard mouse is far more comfortable then what sony/microsoft got.

Complete opposite for me. A mouse and keyboard feel completely unnatural and uncomfortable. I'm constantly aware of it and it's a struggle to keep the mouse centered on the pad so it doesn't fall off, and especially to find the right keys on the keyboard. I basically have to keep my left hand locked into position so I don't lose track of the keys, which is very uncomfortable, and yes, I'm aware that's because I'm not that experienced with it. I just don't think I'll ever be able to get used to it. The hand separation doesn't feel right either.

Controllers just feel so right. I can do anything and everything without ever thinking about it. It's second nature. With my hands close together, it feels like my hands are actually working in tandem, because they are. I guess it's easier to focus on them both that way.

Whatever minimal accuracy I might gain from a mouse (and it is minimal), it's not worth the other trade-offs. That's the thing with preferences, though. They're preferences.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Zaryia
@mariah_eater said:
@zaryia said:
@mariah_eater said:

You didn't specify that.

And only MP games have a high userbase, those users are casuals and don't come to forums, hence, you're a vocal minority.

The most played games on the planet, and system with most gamers on the planet, use KB/M.

Stop moving the goal post.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jun_aka_pekto

I don't know why people still use mouse pads. I just pick a desk that has an ideal surface for an optical/laser mouse to glide on.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@MarkoftheSivak said:

Okay, for some genre's it is true. For turn-based and real-time strategy games, especially 4x, the keyboard and mouse are the best form of control...however....

For arpg's ala Diablo franchise which I use to think would only work with KB/M, I prefer with a controller and am never going back to KB/M for my arpg's, it just "feels" so much better with a controller.

The above I thought "fair enough, if you prefer analog for moving in diablo, shit for everything else though (inventory management and aiming)...

Then this:

I also prefer FPS with a controller, why does the KB/M automatically get considered the best method of control for these? I have to keep lifting the mouse if I aim too far, etc. Ewwww

"I have to keep lifting the mouse if I aim too far.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Yea.. you've lost me here... my god... what is this the 1990s?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

From what I've heard a lot the top 500 console Overwatch players use a m/kb setup. A controller even at max sensitivity can't match the mouse flicks I see PC gamers do for FPS's.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Mouse and keyboard is objectively better for literally everything except racing games and maybe fighting games.

How on earth are you going to play a fighting game with a mouse Mr Bojangles?

jun_aka_pektoI don't know why people still use mouse pads.

Just if the surface isn't good at picking up lasers or a bit reflective. I find wood is the best surface for optical mice.

But it will wear surfaces out over time.

I'm using one on a glass surface coffee table for instance.

"I have to keep lifting the mouse if I aim too far....

Has everyone seen my track ball control pad which solves this thread topic problem yet?

I realised afterwards, if you're aiming with the ball the pad would also need trigger buttons.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mrbojangles25

@jackamomo: The Steam Controller sorta-kind-of-not-really has a trackball on it. I mean, it's a trackpad really, but same purpose. Roll your thumb over it. You can click it, too.

It actually acts like a trackball, too, because if you go fast over it you can "throw" it just like a trackball and the action will continue to go. You can adjust the sensitivity, the "throw" inertia, and so on.

It's a really great controller, conceptually.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mrbojangles25

@kali-b1rd said:

"I have to keep lifting the mouse if I aim too far.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Yea.. you've lost me here... my god... what is this the 1990s?

Yeah, what a joke. I can literally get from one side of my screen to the other in about 1.5 inches of movement. That means I can look behind me with a flick of the wrist. Can do a 360 using about 1/3 of the area of my mousepad (yes, I still use them...)

And I consider myself on the low end of sensitivity based on how I see other people play.

Do I have to lift my mouse occasionally? Yes, very occasionally. But it's still preferable to leaning on a thumbstick waiting for my view to move to where I want it, never really getting there, and ultimately relying on autoaim to shoot accurately.

I mean, really? Autoaim? Still, in the 21st century? What are we, cavemen?

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

Some days I prefer vanilla ice cream. Some days I prefer strawberry ice cream. It's mind boggling.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It's a really great controller, conceptually. [Steam controller]

Very notable inclusion of a final word there...

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: So you would rather base your desk choice, which costs hundreds of dollars, around the idea of not having to use a mouse pad... instead of simply getting a decent mouse pad for like 7 bucks. Or getting a whole nice desk mat. Also optical mice don't work well on a shit ton of surfaces, and optical mice are the best for gaming. There's also the fact that well made mouse pads are nice and soft and comfortable for your hand/wrist to lay on. Much more comfortable than a hard desk.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Messiahbolical-
Loading Video...

This would be a much preferred control method for first person games than KB/M for me. WASD and the "ergonomics" of a keyboard in general just suck for these types of games. Something like a Move controller in the left hand looks way more appealing, while still having the perfect aiming of a mouse.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 DragonfireXZ95
@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

This would be a much preferred control method for first person games than KB/M for me. WASD and the "ergonomics" of a keyboard in general just suck for these types of games. Something like a Move controller in the left hand looks way more appealing, while still having the perfect aiming of a mouse.

Meh. I've tried this with the old Fragnstein. Frankly, it sucks.

The joystick is still terribly clumsy, especially when tying to a fast mouse design.

I can't think of any games where analog movement would even benefit you versus just hitting a walk key.

You also lose the 20 other buttons around WASD that you can't hit.

This one might actually be the most interesting gamepad to combine with a mouse.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolermaster/controlpad-24-keys-with-analog-control

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

You guys are really, really overplaying the importance of 360 degree movement in shooters. I'd rather have eight way movement with all the buttons surrounding WASD. It offers far more versatility than an index finger switching between two triggers and a thumb having to leave movement to interact with just four buttons. Eight directions is fine for most games, and the mouse/camera allows you to make it a full 360 anyway.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

One finger (Thumb) to control 6 buttons and your directional movement. No thanks I'd rather have the versatility that 107 keys and 5 fingers allow.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Messiahbolical- said:

@jun_aka_pekto: So you would rather base your desk choice, which costs hundreds of dollars, around the idea of not having to use a mouse pad... instead of simply getting a decent mouse pad for like 7 bucks. Or getting a whole nice desk mat. Also optical mice don't work well on a shit ton of surfaces, and optical mice are the best for gaming. There's also the fact that well made mouse pads are nice and soft and comfortable for your hand/wrist to lay on. Much more comfortable than a hard desk.

My desk is hardwood and has a gloss varnish coating thin enough so that I can feel the wood grain. It's awesome for an optical mouse. My desk is big enough so that my arm can rest on the desk surface almost to my elbow. There's no problem with putting too much tension on my wrists. It's L-shaped. So, on many instances, I actually have my left elbow resting on the desk itself (if I shift my monitor a bit to the right).

I based my choice of this desk on:

1. It can hold 2 x 21" CRT monitors at 70 lb apiece and still have plenty of room.

2. The desk surface is ideal for an optical mouse.

3. Ample storage space.

4. Hardwood and not particle board or glass.

5. Legroom. I lean back (instead of hunching over) with my feet resting on the subwoofer.

6. Modular. I can assemble/disassemble the desk in 5 minutes. 10 minutes if I'm really feeling lazy about it. ;)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 jun_aka_pekto
@jackamomo said:

Just if the surface isn't good at picking up lasers or a bit reflective. I find wood is the best surface for optical mice.

You mean it will wear out the mouse surface that glides over the desk. I've had my desk since 2003. It's the mouse that gives out first. It takes years. But, the glue-mounted rubber surface of the mouse eventually wears out. No big deal because by the time that happens, it's time to buy a new mouse.

I suppose I can make my mouse last longer if I use a mousepad. But, nah. I like the freedom of not having to use a pad.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#93  Edited By sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

For the genre's I play, I prefer a controller in fighters, platformers, sports, and racing games. For FPS, TPS, ARPGS, I prefer a KB/M. Though, I acknowledge some prefer controllers for everything and that is ok. It all depends on what you like. I did use to prefer controllers for everything as well till I got into PC gaming about 6 years ago. I then found out how much I prefer KB/M especially for shooters.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Messiahbolical-

@GarGx1 said:
@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

One finger (Thumb) to control 6 buttons and your directional movement. No thanks I'd rather have the versatility that 107 keys and 5 fingers allow.

First of all, I hope you realize that there's multiple triggers on the back. So you're controlling it with 2 fingers, not 1.

Secondly, what kind of first person shooter needs that many buttons.

- ADS and Shoot(right and left click)

-Sprint(L3 on the analog stick aka clicking down the stick, doesn't require pressing an extra button)

-Jump(Can be assigned to one of the Move triggers on the back so you can jump while strafing)

- Grenade(one of the Move triggers)

- Melee(middle mouse button)

-Crouch(X or Circle)

- Search/Interact(One of the side mouse buttons)

Seriously that's pretty much almost everything important for most games covered. If you need to add anything you could either utilize more of the unused buttons on the Move or simply buy a gaming mouse with more buttons. the G502 is one of the most popular gaming mice and it has plenty of buttons to spare. You act like I'm talking about MMOs or Mobas here. We're talking about FPS lol. FPS controls are pretty simple.

Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Messiahbolical-

@ezekiel43 said:
@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

You guys are really, really overplaying the importance of 360 degree movement in shooters. I'd rather have eight way movement with all the buttons surrounding WASD. It offers far more versatility than an index finger switching between two triggers and a thumb having to leave movement to interact with just four buttons. Eight directions is fine for most games, and the mouse/camera allows you to make it a full 360 anyway.

You guys are really underplaying the importance of ergonomics and comfortably. And it was never just about 360 degree movement. It's also about analog movement allowing you to control exactly how fast or slow you want to move. You simply can't do these things with a keyboard. Just because you don't think you'd care about them, doesn't mean they don't exist. To ignore these advantages is just as hypocritical as console fanboys ignoring the advantages of the mouse having better aim. And there's a reason a non-gamer can pick up a controller and figure out how to play in seconds, but would struggle way more if you told them "aim with the mouse and use WASD on the keyboard to move". Because a keyboard was not invented for gaming and WASD is cumbersome, clunky, and uncomfortable. Sure, you might have mastered it and it find it easy. But for the majority of people it's not.

I've already stated in a previous reply, this setup has plenty of buttons for the vast majority of FPS games. With sprint mapped to L3 and the 2 triggers on the back mapped, as well as a mouse with multiple side buttons, there's very few FPS games I can think of that you should need more buttons mapped for.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Messiahbolical- said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@Messiahbolical- said:
Loading Video...

You guys are really underplaying the importance of ergonomics and comfortably. And it was never just about 360 degree movement. It's also about analog movement allowing you to control exactly how fast or slow you want to move. You simply can't do these things with a keyboard. Just because you don't think you'd care about them, doesn't mean they don't exist. To ignore these advantages is just as hypocritical as console fanboys ignoring the advantages of the mouse having better aim. And there's a reason a non-gamer can pick up a controller and figure out how to play in seconds, but would struggle way more if you told them "aim with the mouse and use WASD on the keyboard to move". Because a keyboard was not invented for gaming and WASD is cumbersome, clunky, and uncomfortable. Sure, you might have mastered it and it find it easy. But for the majority of people it's not.

I've already stated in a previous reply, this setup has plenty of buttons for the vast majority of FPS games. With sprint mapped to L3 and the 2 triggers on the back mapped, as well as a mouse with multiple side buttons, there's very few FPS games I can think of that you should need more buttons mapped for.

everyone acknowledges that WASD isn't as good as an analog, but typically people acknowledge that this is a lesser sacrifice for better improvements in about every area.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DragonfireXZ95
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@jackamomo said:

You mean it will wear out the mouse surface that glides over the desk. I've had my desk since 2003. It's the mouse that gives out first. It takes years. But, the glue-mounted rubber surface of the mouse eventually wears out. No big deal because by the time that happens, it's time to buy a new mouse.

I suppose I can make my mouse last longer if I use a mousepad. But, nah. I like the freedom of not having to use a pad.

I feel you on having the freedom. The mouse mat with edges sometimes annoyed me, especially in the older days. Love the new extended mats they are putting out, instead. I also love that you can get nice cloth ones, as plastic/hard surfaces tend to bother the skin on my wrist over time, and that cheap rubbery felt stuff was horrible with mice.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@Messiahbolical-: I don't think people are discounting your style if that's what you prefer. They are simply giving you their opinion. If someone wants to use a controller in a competitive PC FPS game, more power to them, I say. But, it is objectively faster to have keyboard buttons at your finger tips.

Also, the cooler master pad I linked you allows you to control analog movement with the keyboard keys.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Messiahbolical- said:
And there's a reason a non-gamer can pick up a controller and figure out how to play in seconds

You can't be serious. I've witnessed non-gamers completely fail at trying to play modern 3D games with a controller. It takes practice, like using a keyboard.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Messiahbolical-: Walk, Prone, weapon and grenade select/change (lol clumsy weapon wheels), reload. Anything on L3 is easily misused. The position of X and O mean the loss of movement control to crouch or stand up.

If I was talking about MMO's, Mobas or RTS I'd be talking single key press macro's which is way too complicated for a controller and also why those genres are very under represented on consoles.