vgmkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 vgmkyle
Member since 2004 • 8685 Posts

I enjoyed the original trilogy of GoW (even though DMC3 and NGB were much better for their time) but GoW4 to me was one of the worst entries yet, and I don't say that to be a fanboy, I say it because I've played enough of these types of games to state that GoW4 and likely this new one is very soft and cluttered with weird wishy-washy mechanics.

The Atreus mechanics are bad and take me out of the flow of combat, I'd much rather beat my opponents without the help of getting stuns from a kid's bow.

I also think these games try way too hard to pretend they are open world. Like the overly long and boring canoe rides. In GoW I felt very little engagement with these boring rides that felt like they took nearly 10% of the game.

As far as the story goes. I've experienced longer, bigger and better. I feel like the narrative doesn't even come close to the war of the gods. I'm kind of impressed with Fenrir's size so maybe they will follow it as closely as they can. We will have to see how good the story actually lines up when a lot of the writers for this title are really social media stars which raises a lot of questions like how you hire someone this inexperienced at writing stories when you are dealing with a game and story this fucking big.

So, my question is: how do you guys enjoy this? I love these types of games and I find GoW4 to be one of the worst of the worst. I can understand from a move animation stand-point to why someone would think GoW is cool, but the best game of all time? That to me seems very farfetched.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44145 Posts

I really enjoyed God of War 2018. It’s definitely no Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta but thought it was quite fun enough in its own right.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

It's okay, but it's really overhyped for what it is. Visuals are amazing, the story and combat is so-so.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44145 Posts

It also reinvigorated my interest in the franchise. I enjoyed God of War 1, 2, and 3 but was burnt out on it with Ascension.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

Can't really speak for everyone who's been playing God of War franchise for the past several gens, I'll say this. I've played all God of War games since the beginning when the first game came to PS2. Back then, there wasn't that many games taking place in Ancient Greek mythology, Kratos was okay but him getting angrier and doesn't care nothing but revenge on the Gods got really old and annoying for the character himself throughout the trilogy and the same goes for the PSP versions. God of War: Ascension is when THAT game took a huge nosedive, and the biggest sign that the franchise needed a reboot hence God of War 4 is why it exist in the first place. (Aside from the game not being good, a prequel after we finished the trilogy just made zero sense)

God of War 4 was the actual sequel/reboot it needed cause seeing Kratos angry all the time got old and I had a hard time caring for the character so having him calm and being a Father again made the game more enjoyable and not to mention, switching from Greek to Norse also made the game enjoyable as we don't get that many Norse games besides Hellblade that is. Gameplay to me was fun, I don't miss the old school God of War gameplay. Heck, God of War won GOTY 2018 over Red Dead Redemption 2 was mighty impressive, I'd be surprised if it can do that again outsmarting Elden Ring when the new one comes out.

Here's hoping they take this franchise to Egypt as there's no game set in Egypt mythos to my knowledge.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Loved the first two games on PS2, the third game on PS3 game was "meh" as a game and mostly a just a sparkly PS3 tech demo. The issues I had with the 3rd game I have heard might have been addressed wirh Ascension though I never played it, have yet to try the latest one too and now it's sequel is coming out.

Safe to say I got some catching up to do but I like the series overall and it's one of the few PS franchises that interest me anymore.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

No. Couldn't get past the first hour on the latest one (on PC, best version). Boring movie game is boring.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2407 Posts

It's kind of a piece of shit, worse than it actually is because of what it represents, but even by itself really, super average. Wish the big developers still cared about good game design rather than checking off boxes and making everything the same for users who want to be comfortable with what they know, what the current thing is. I know even back in 2005 developers were using similar mechanics and storytelling in games, but it wasn't all so fucking inbred yet.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I loved everything about GoW 2018.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2407 Posts
@davillain said:

God of War 4 was the actual sequel/reboot it needed cause seeing Kratos angry all the time got old and I had a hard time caring for the character so having him calm and being a..........

Which is why they should have replaced him.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

From the OG GoW games, the only one i enjoyed was gow3. It was fun, but way too short, and it only offered good gameplay and spectacle. The current iteration of GoW offers everything a quality game is supposed to give the player. Its only with GoW2018 that i became a big fan of the series, while before that it was just a "might rent it one day" kind of a game. The way they gave Kratos an actual personality made a big difference for me, and so did the story.

Not only do i like GoW, i think this should the flagship series from Sony.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen
@pclover1980 said:

It's okay, but it's really overhyped for what it is. Visuals are amazing, the story and combat is so-so.

I could understand someone calling its combat system as "so-so". I don't agree, i think its great at what its trying to achieve (visceral up close tearing shit up), but story being so-so? How? Its damn amazing.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

@hardwenzen: The world is great, don't get me wrong, but the father-child duo hampered the story for me.

:My son is dying, let me knock on this healer's door instead of kicking it down." Something along those lines.

Matthewmatosis explains well why the story and plot could've been better.

Loading Video...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It's great. But it's also a Sony game. Walk. Talk. Engage loading screen. I can never see myself replaying it. And it's why I have no interest in Ragnarok and other Sony titles.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator

@warm_gun said:
@davillain said:

God of War 4 was the actual sequel/reboot it needed cause seeing Kratos angry all the time got old and I had a hard time caring for the character so having him calm and being a..........

Which is why they should have replaced him.

Funny thing is, Santa Monica almost did that. They were considering having a Brother of Kratos to carry the torch for their reboot but for whatever reason scrap that idea and making Kratos more of a reasonable Human being. I wouldn't mind it if they replaced him and at the least being a descendent of Kratos would have been totally okay with the fans.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

@davillain: But I don't want him to become more human, I want him to destroy humanity!... and the gods while he's at it.

He IS the Omega.

2018 had awesome production value, and pretty good lore/vibe, but I didn't like the story, combat, puzzles, or that f#cking boi.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

When i played the originals on ps2 i thought the story and gameplay were great. Unique game, there was nothing like it. Graphics were good and it was fun to play.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Never been into any of the GOW games but there was a lot of hype from PS4 gamers for the last one and it looked different enough to at least give it a try. I didnt like it tbh, I started playing something else and I dont think ill ever go back to finish it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I don't. The older games were average hack and slash games I'd rather not play. The new one is a movie game I definitely don't want to play.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

@vgmkyle:

You nailed it in your thread title,god of war is GOOD,it's just not the overrated great game people make it out to be....when Ragnarok fails to beat Forza horizon 5 metacritic score of 92 there will be tears,it won't outscore Xbox studios dearhloops 10 out of 10 either

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3398 Posts

It's a cool game.

Pointless to compare it with the originals, 2018 is a pretty standard Sony action adventure. The story while flawed tells an interesting tale, combat feels impactful, very good characters all around. Really well executed as a whole.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Chutebox said:

This. Santa Monica is a trusted developer and I expect this installment to be even better.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

Lol Ragnarok is coming for you all..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PlayStationPhils/permalink/5660885274001217/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

It's a good sleep, inducing movie so it's got that going for it.

lol :P

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

The visuals, the music were good, the story was okey, even though it was your "Mario, your princess is in another castle" (but interchange princess with a mountain) trope. Though, the combat... the combat was boring.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69443 Posts

I have played GOW 1,2,3, the version on the PSP and the most recent PS4 game. The only game with a meaningful story was GOW 1. After that, the game became more juvenile with each iteration and more purposeless. I couldn't believe they can make a protagonist so unlikeable. The game doesn't allow you to forget about the stupidity of Kratos because it is forced-fed throughout the game. In the last game, he was just OK and that was closer to the end. I have zero interest in the new iteration.

@davillain: Assassin's Creed Origin uses Egyptian Mythology.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24920 Posts

Its not. its among the worst game I have ever played. walking sim, literally doing nothing. and nothing at all.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

It's good because of it I can make wenzen's SW life miserable.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Me too!

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8198 Posts

I liked 1,2, and 3.

How 2018 I dislike because it took away air combos and jump button.

The enemy design was unimaginative compared to past games.

They repeated the same troll boss multiple times...

The camera angle being over the shoulder sucked

Game cared more about presentation than being fun.

It's just much slower compared to the previous games, went away from hack n slash to more of a dark souls light, dodge roll, block, counter, repeat.

I hate GOW 2018

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Greek God of War was a better video game. The new one boasts a pretty mediocre story, admittedly a good combat system, in terms of like what the potential ceiling for the system is. But, a lot of the foundation is flawed.

The rpg stuff, the way that plays into how enemies behaves, and a lot of the details undermines any room for expressive n creativity in some of the new options they added to the games core combat. What neutral play it does have, while enjoyable is offset at times with some really dull encounters, cool down spells, or just dumb shit that makes spacing less interesting like how your attack swings have a lunge assist to help you track to enemies and cover some inconsistent ranges.

As a game, its way outclassed by the likes of DMC1,3,4,5, Bayo 1+2, maybe 3, Ninja gaiden 1 and 2, God of War 3, Nioh 1 n 2, God Hand, Wonderful 101, Souls games, probably Monster Hunter if I bothered to play it.

I will say most of the criticisms of that game I see on this forum, are pretty much ass and heavy on some scrub talk. Its kind of like Sekiro. Where the game is kind of wack, but the people who have Sekiro complaints tend to have bad complaints and miss the more obvious shit. I mean come on, that parry window is not that tight, play more games pls.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:

Yea yea yea. Keep talking, bro. I will invite you in a youtube vids watching spree, and you will be amazed by what we'll discover together. Talking about lore will be your new passion in life, and i'll be there to listen to it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator

@davillain: Assassin's Creed Origin uses Egyptian Mythology.

I'll admit, I haven't finish that game and I been meaning to get back on track if I wasn't so busy playing so many games lol.

@dimebag667 said:

@davillain: But I don't want him to become more human, I want him to destroy humanity!... and the gods while he's at it.

He IS the Omega.

2018 had awesome production value, and pretty good lore/vibe, but I didn't like the story, combat, puzzles, or that f#cking boi.

Err, I kinda felt the angry Kratos has overstayed its welcome IMO. Glad I was able to like the character this time around and as someone who happens to be a Dad, I knew where Kratos was coming from so another reason I like this change.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3054 Posts

@davillain said:

@

@dimebag667 said:

He IS the Omega.

Err, I kinda felt the angry Kratos has overstayed its welcome IMO. Glad I was able to like the character this time around and as someone who happens to be a Dad, I knew where Kratos was coming from so another reason I like this change.

While he's definitely more subdued in 2018, I feel like this narrative that he is and was only a rage monster isn't entirely accurate.

*******PROBABLY SPOILERS*********BE WARNED*********

Loading Video...

But fair enough if you gained more from being a parent... but I'm not. So having to take care of someone else's annoying kid was not fun or enjoyable for me. I'm definitely not looking for a remake/remaster, but if the original had the monetary and time budget of 2018... that game could punch a hole in reality.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@zaryia said:

No. Couldn't get past the first hour on the latest one (on PC, best version). Boring movie game is boring.

Yeah, you have to add like 3 points to the score just because it's a Playstation game.

Unimpressed with the gameplay. And the cows are hyping the new one like anyone outside of Playstation gamers cares. :-S

They don't get that movie game interest isn't universal.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yea yea yea. Keep talking, bro. I will invite you in a youtube vids watching spree, and you will be amazed by what we'll discover together. Talking about lore will be your new passion in life, and i'll be there to listen to it.

Buddy, I have bad news for you. The lore is nothing but Norse Mythology and we can discuss/watch it right now. We don't have to wait GoW5 release for that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

Buddy, I have bad news for you. The lore is nothing but Norse Mythology and we can discuss/watch it right now. We don't have to wait GoW5 release for that.

No. We won't. GoW norse mythos is better than standard mythos. His son is Loki, bro. Can you imagine?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

@simple-facts said:

@vgmkyle:

You nailed it in your thread title,god of war is GOOD,it's just not the overrated great game people make it out to be....when Ragnarok fails to beat Forza horizon 5 metacritic score of 92 there will be tears,it won't outscore Xbox studios dearhloops 10 out of 10 either

lmao lets use a car game to compare a action game.

lets use a game that is on ps plus(now) and gamepass.

you do now that deathloop is free if you have ps now service to right.

how about you use a action game from xbox that is close to god of war. you can't it don't exist.

you have been served.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

God of War is a decent game. I have no issues with it. There is a reason I bought a God of War Ragnorak controller and game.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nah. Not for me.

I tried one of the PS2 games, and the PS4 game.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gifford38
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@zaryia said:

Yeah, you have to add like 3 points to the score just because it's a Playstation game.

Unimpressed with the gameplay. And the cows are hyping the new one like anyone outside of Playstation gamers cares. :-S

what are the most talk about games on youtube?

these so called movie games. most viewed games as well.

why is sony putting there games on pc? because they sell yet only sony fans are hyped.

ps5 reveal trailer most watch video of them all.

if it is just sony fans there are over 120 million of them out there.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KvallyX  Online

@gifford38 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Halo Infinite and all other Halo games.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

The original trilogy is pretty meh and outdated at this point IMO

The 2018 reboot game had better gameplay, fun weapons and upgrades, interesting environments and a solid story with engaging characters

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@simple-facts said:

@vgmkyle:

God of War 2018 already scored higher than those games on meta 🤭

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gifford38

@kvallyx said:
@gifford38 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

no utube is not system wars. so halo is the most watched game on utube?

nope sony games are. its xbox fans wishing they can play them as they watch them. they say it all the time.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gifford38

@Chutebox said:
@simple-facts said:

@vgmkyle:

God of War 2018 already scored higher than those games on meta 🤭

shhh he think he is simply-facts.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KvallyX  Online

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:

nope sony games are. its xbox fans wishing they can play them as they watch them. they say it all the time.

Nope.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts
  1. Satisfying gameplay
  2. Interesting characters
  3. Mythology is a cool setting
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@gifford38 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Yeah, I "wished" I could play Spider-Man... Then I got it on the PC. :-S

You guys need to stop using social media as your barometer for what gamers think. My point was, anyone who really wants those games, got a Playstation. Other gamers are all good.

And you don't even need to buy a Playstation console to play Playstation games. I've had PSNow and the renamed streaming service on the PC for years.