Why do the most popular games get the most hate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Killzone 2, GTA4, Crysis, Super Mario Galaxyand Gears of War (1&2) seem to get the most hate of any games around here. What gives? These games are amazing, and no they are not perfect. They all are high quality titles though. And it is obvious to me that they were hyped to hell and back, but IMO, they all met their hype. I know System Wars loves to hate on these games so bring on the pain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Because that's how the world works, someone's always gotta be the hater.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

well come on man, if someone was hating on army of two or baja who would ever care enough to comment?

heat goes where the spotlight falls

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

We have to have something to talk about. :P

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

We have to have something to talk about. :P

samuraiguns
That and a few other reasons. People like to bully what A) they cant have B) threatens something of theirs they think is better or C) is just a blatant blind fanboy
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

I honestly think most of the hate proclamations here in system wars are simply people distancing themselves from the crowd, thinking they're cool :P

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

I honestly think most of the hate proclamations here in system wars are simply people distancing themselves from the crowd, thinking they're cool :P

-Oath
you cannot be cool beans on the internet. :|
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

samuraiguns

Probably cant, but people can beleieve they are ;)

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

-Oath

It is this coupled with some of those who think lesser known games are better and should get more attention, even if some of them can be as bland and broken as the popular ones.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Squeaky wheel gets the most grease.

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 h575309
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

It is this coupled with some of those who think lesser known games are better and should get more attention, even if some of them can be as bland and broken as the popular ones.

Yes i think this is a major reason. Then again, although shooters are by far the most popular genre on the two HD consoles, they do generally get alot of hate because they are almost all we see lately. The RPG, RTS, and the general Wii only crowd loves to hate on the genre because A) they really hate the genre or B) they cant have the games.
reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
Every game gets hated by a small group, its just that the more a game sells the larger that small group gets and the louder they appear.
InsaneGamer323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 InsaneGamer323
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts
Because that's how the world works, someone's always gotta be the hater.siLVURcross
People need something to hate :P
froidnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 froidnite
Member since 2006 • 2294 Posts

You have got it all wrong. People only tend to notice hate directed towards things they like. Since popular games are liked by many people, hate directed towards those games garner a lot of attention. No one cares if you bad mouth Fallout 1&2 except few. One thread about FO3 being bad and that gets 500+ posts.

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

There is a few different reason why but i think the main reason is because games get hyped up so much that people beleive the hype. If you have never played a game like Halo 3 or Killzone 2 but you have heard the constent hype about they games then you might think these games will be the best thing you have ever played. You go to play the game just to find out that you personnally dont like the controls, gameplay etc.Some people when they find out they dont like goes on and on about how its not a good game but its just different peoples taste.

I loved the past MGS4 games and there was great hype for this game but all the loading times and cut screen put me right off this game but most other people seemed to think it met the hype.

Also you get stupid fanboys just arguing that a game is rubbish because its not out for their console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="-Oath"]

samuraiguns

Wait are you saying I am not "teh cool beans"?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

There's plenty of hate to go around but why hate on something the opposition does not care about? It just won't have the same impact.

Of the games mentioned I only found Gears and Crysis worthwhile. Never played SMG but I expect it to be good.

InsaneGamer323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 InsaneGamer323
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts
people hate bad games too
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
doesn't make much sense to hate on a game no one's ever heard of
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
1) Because they get played out the fastest. It's kind of like hearing a mainstream song on the radio, you might have liked the song a month ago but after hearing it 15X on your way to work and 15X more on your way home, it's hard not to hate it. 2) If it's a popular exclusive then it's just a weak point fanboys like to target to downplay the competitor. 3) Their are some elitists gamers who like to believe that everyone else is a noob and try to be the first to find that cult classic while bashing games that the mainstream likes.
Rob-Belmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rob-Belmont
Member since 2009 • 1350 Posts

People are just desperate to define themselves. It's kind of like music really, the more obscure and unknown your favorite games are the more unique and edgy people think you are.

-Melix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Melix-
Member since 2009 • 494 Posts

Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Killzone 2, GTA4, Crysis, Super Mario Galaxyand Gears of War (1&2) seem to get the most hate of any games around here. What gives? These games are amazing, and no they are not perfect. They all are high quality titles though. And it is obvious to me that they were hyped to hell and back, but IMO, they all met their hype. I know System Wars loves to hate on these games so bring on the pain.

h575309

you forgot mgs4 :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

[QUOTE="h575309"]

-Melix-

I thought this website was about games, not movies? [spoiler] It's a joke. It irritates me that I have to put this. [/spoiler]
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 h575309
[QUOTE="Jandurin"][QUOTE="-Melix-"]

[QUOTE="h575309"]

I thought this website was about games, not movies? [spoiler] It's a joke. It irritates me that I have to put this. [/spoiler]

ruh roh. I hear cows mooing. Anyway, yes I did forget that one but I dont seem to see as much hate as I do the others, obviously Halo 3 gets the most. Im a huge MGS fan but 4 did dissapoint a little bit. Still love it though.
Avatar image for Ryusuke_Akihiro
Ryusuke_Akihiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ryusuke_Akihiro
Member since 2007 • 425 Posts

-Oath

This is exactly what I was thinking. They remind me of Goth kids.