Why do some ppl think upgrading is a bad thing

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

I told a guy about the steam machine being upgradable and he was complaining about having to upgrade as if he needed to all of a sudden like it would be a nuisance and I seen similar response on the internet. So being giving an option to upgrade is somehow a bad thing yet if console had the option of being fully upgradable the fanboys would all brag about it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#2 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

Price seems to be the biggest factor I see.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because it costs money

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Well the argument of upgrading seems to be what console fanboys bring up when its the pc gamer choice when he/she feels like upgrading. I always sell my parts if I ever upgrade so its not like I'm spending a large sum of money. I used to own a gt7600 and I played games on it for a long time before I upgraded.

You have to know when its the right time and if your not selling your old card or other parts and buying something new with only small gap in power than you could be spending more money than you should which could be a bad thing.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

People aren't bright these days, it seems.

Of course, upgradability is an excellent thing to have since you can upgrade while keeping an existing hardware, thus saving money. If you don't want to upgrade because you don't want to spend money, don't do it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Because you have to do it every 3 months

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

upgrading is one of my favorite things in the world. plus every game you own gets a boost post-upgrade.

also, one can choose to upgrade or not to upgrade.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Because people have low income.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

People just don't understand that you DON'T have to upgrade as soon as a new gpu hits the market otherwise you would be broke.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrownKingArthur

@Motokid6: nothing wrong with that.

you use an air compressor?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Because it costs money

For me, it barely cost anything at all. I upgraded from a 560ti to a 7870; after the rebate for the 7870 and after selling my old 560ti on ebay, the whole upgrade ended up costing me a grand total of $30. When it ends up costing so little to upgrade, why not do it? Every time I've ever upgraded my gpu, I've always been able to recoup a considerable bit of the costs just by reselling my old one. Hell! I would have sent back the 7870 and upgraded to a 280x if the price of the 7970/280x hadn't skyrocketed due to the litecoin miners.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

3 months its more like 3 years.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Because games optimized for PC are pretty crappy, so to get a consistent experience requires you to upgrade at least every 2-3 years. Sucks for all the people who still use DX9 cards and devs are suddenly not implementing that into their games.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IgGy621985

@04dcarraher said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Sorry, I meant 2 months actually. Or your PC becomes a piece of ancient history. You also need to sell your car, house, dog, wife and kids to keep up with the hardware.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 04dcarraher

@IgGy621985 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Sorry, I meant 2 months actually. Or your PC becomes a piece of ancient history. You also need to sell your car, house, dog, wife and kids to keep up with the hardware.

Consoles are much much worse this time around their going to be prehistoric within a few years already are using ancient hardware.....

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 04dcarraher
@Gaming-Planet said:

Because games optimized for PC are pretty crappy, so to get a consistent experience requires you to upgrade at least every 2-3 years. Sucks for all the people who still use DX9 cards and devs are suddenly not implementing that into their games.

Sucks that consoler's are going to have to buy the new consoles to play some and all newer games eventually. Anyone still using direct x 9 based gpu's are using gpu's slower to equal to current consoles. and those dx 9 gpu's are going on 8 years old , so its not all of a sudden....

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CroidX

@Gaming-Planet:

I never had to upgrade 2 to 3 years since games aren't badly optimize as your implying

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Well, I think the biggest reason would be that lots of people still have this idea that PCs are complex and confusing to upgrade and maintain.

I've had the good fortune of being able to show people how to build PCs to game on, and they are blown away by the simplicity of it all.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IgGy621985

@04dcarraher said:

@IgGy621985 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Consoles are much much worse this time around their going to be prehistoric within a few years already are using ancient hardware.....

Consoles are superior in every way possible. PC's can't even do HD.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CrownKingArthur

@Motokid6: yeah i always charge the compressor then do a blow through to remove any dust etc first. its an easy mistake to make. i like to use a compressor, then a vacuum. oh yeah i don't use CO2 cans, would be very expensive. just an air compressor from an auto hardware store.

consolites have no idea what an edifying experience cleaning one's electronics can be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

What are you talking about casual console peasant?

I upgrade every 2 weeks.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gaming-Planet

@04dcarraher said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Sucks that consoler's are going to have to buy the new consoles to play some and all newer games eventually. Anyone still using direct x 9 based gpu's are using gpu's slower to equal to current consoles. and those dx 9 gpu's are going on 8 years old , so its not all of a sudden....

Not every pc gamer plays demanding game.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IgGy621985

@MBirdy88 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

I upgrade every 2 weeks.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

LIES

ALL LIES

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher

@Gaming-Planet said:

@04dcarraher said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

unless they play nothing but old games,non graphically intensive ones they are not dedicated or enthusiast pc gamers but ones who are casual and dont care one way or another.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@IgGy621985 said:

I upgrade every 2 weeks.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

Only every 2 weeks? pfffft, you clearly aren't keeping up. You'll never get to the 32GB GDDR7 GPU's at that rate ;P

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gaming-Planet

@04dcarraher said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

@04dcarraher said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

unless they play nothing but old games,non graphically intensive ones they are not dedicated or enthusiast pc gamers but ones who are casual and dont care one way or another.

Funny how most mainstream games like Crysis 3 are for casuals and indie games are usually geared towards the hardcore gamer.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@treedoor said:

Well, I think the biggest reason would be that lots of people still have this idea that PCs are complex and confusing to upgrade and maintain.

I've had the good fortune of being able to show people how to build PCs to game on, and they are blown away by the simplicity of it all.

That's real good fortune, all my upgrades turn into real headaches.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

That money that goes to upgrading could go to games.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@endlessinfinity said:

I told a guy about the steam machine being upgradable and he was complaining about having to upgrade as if he needed to all of a sudden like it would be a nuisance and I seen similar response on the internet. So being giving an option to upgrade is somehow a bad thing yet if console had the option of being fully upgradable the fanboys would all brag about it.

Yeah options always seemed cool to me, but this hate for them is out there. Take the last Hitman or Splinter Cell game. There are gamers that hate them because you can play them how the player wants to. These gamers want innovation, but games to stay the same. Absolute insanity.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

A sort Insecurity and maybe OCD perhaps.. some console only gamers want that all of them have this static relatively weak, inexpensive hardware. They want to their purchase as top notch in a sense and equal to a pool of gamers. The security of equality.

Raise the available compute bar for the masses or certain groups and they'd have the discomfort of the existing option thus feeling inferior of not having the "latest and greatest".

I think that's mainly where the "you need to update every few months" originates.

Some of them don't find substantial meaning to having an arguably better experience of higher image quality and more responsive controls found in higher framerates if they don't have the top notch hardware. Arrogance? Maybe greed?

Rather have a completely filled cup than a 3/4 near to full but double the size of the latter cup? Console optimization vs. brute-forcing beyond.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Console fanboys aren't famous for their intelligence, they can't grasp the fact that upgrading is optional.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Because it costs money

And they'd have to read something somewhere, no doubt. Some console gamers HATE reading.

It's mainly a consolite problem.

It doesn't help when there is the myth of game consoles performing on par with a PC upgraded mid-console gen. It isn't.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

The problem isn't so much upgrading but rather "needing" to upgrade in order to play the newest games like you do with the PC.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@endlessinfinity said:

Upgrading can be a real pain in the ass. If you're not super hardware savvy, you go into a scenario thinking you need to upgrade one part (GPU) and find out you have to upgrade numerous (PSU, MOBO, etc).

Half the reason I have a weak-ass gaming PC is because I don't want to replace half my damned system just to bring it up to snuff.

i5-3550, 4GB RAM, Win 7 32-bit, Asus GTX-650E, stock 250 watt PSU....hey, it's a free PC from work.

To do anything meaningful with my rig I would have to upgrade the OS, RAM, PSU, and GPU.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

upgrading is one of my favorite things in the world. plus every game you own gets a boost post-upgrade.

also, one can choose to upgrade or not to upgrade.

Pretty much.

But if one does not have the money, then it's not forced or owt.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Because it costs money

Beat me to it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Because those "some ppl" on their consoles cant and we can. Simple as that.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boddicker

@bforrester420 said:

@endlessinfinity said:

Upgrading can be a real pain in the ass. If you're not super hardware savvy, you go into a scenario thinking you need to upgrade one part (GPU) and find out you have to upgrade numerous (PSU, MOBO, etc).

Half the reason I have a weak-ass gaming PC is because I don't want to replace half my damned system just to bring it up to snuff.

i5-3550, 4GB RAM, Win 7 32-bit, Asus GTX-650E, stock 250 watt PSU....hey, it's a free PC from work. If I can play Civ V I'm happy.

This is a great point.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bforrester420

@Boddicker: You caught me between edits, but my PC is a good example of my point. To do anything meaningful with my PC, I'd have to upgrade the OS, RAM, PSU, and GPU. My CPU is decent, but it would probably be a bottleneck if I wanted to get serious and drop a 780ti or R9 290X in it.

That all would run me, assuming a mid-high end GPU (760 or equivalent), $400-700 probably?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Boddicker

@bforrester420 said:

@Boddicker: You caught me between edits, but my PC is a good example of my point. To do anything meaningful with my PC, I'd have to upgrade the OS, RAM, PSU, and GPU. My CPU is decent, but it would probably be a bottleneck if I wanted to get serious and drop a 780ti or R9 290X in it.

That all would run me, assuming a mid-high end GPU, $300-600 probably?

I used to be software savvy in the 90's (me and DOS/Windows were best buds) but I have never built a PC from the ground up. I probably should have then maybe I'd still be a PC gamer.

Now while not painfully out of touch I'm nowhere near where I used to be. I was interested in a Steam Machine as an alternative to another shitty console gen, but Valve completely dropped the ball on that. I thought the point of Steam Machines was to compete with consoles, but with some of the models reaching $1000+ I find myself questioning who the hell they are aiming at.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bforrester420

@Boddicker said:

@bforrester420 said:

That all would run me, assuming a mid-high end GPU, $300-600 probably?

I used to be software savvy in the 90's (me and DOS/Windows were best buds) but I have never built a PC from the ground up. I probably should have then maybe I'd still be a PC gamer.

Now while not painfully out of touch I'm nowhere near where I used to be. I was interested in a Steam Machine as an alternative to another shitty console gen, but Valve completely dropped the ball on that. I thought the point of Steam Machines was to compete with consoles, but with some of the models reaching $1000+ I find myself questioning who the hell they are aiming at.

I still do a lot of batch scripting at work. I should probably switch to something like PowerShell, but I still use good old DOS to this day.

My first PC was a Windows 3.1.1 with a 2400 baud modem. I couldn't even tell you how much disk, memory, or CPU clock that thing had. I can tell you that surfing the internet was a practical impossibility.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CroidX

@bforrester420 said:

@endlessinfinity said:

i5-3550, 4GB RAM, Win 7 32-bit, Asus GTX-650E, stock 250 watt PSU....hey, it's a free PC from work.

To do anything meaningful with my rig I would have to upgrade the OS, RAM, PSU, and GPU.

Than your pc isn't a gaming pc

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bforrester420

@CroidX said:

@bforrester420 said:

@endlessinfinity said:

Than your pc isn't a gaming pc

No, it's a business PC that I dropped a GPU into just so I could play PC games. If it had a better PSU, I would have put a better GPU in there. It's company property and we're technically not supposed to install any unapproved hardware or software, otherwise I might have gone further.

I can play Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Civ V on it, so I'm not complaining.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CroidX

@bforrester420:

You bought the Asus GTX-650E?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bforrester420

@CroidX: Yeah, it was the best GPU I could find that would run off motherboard power and a 250 watt PSU. All I was really looking for was something I could run Civ 5, and the onboard GPU wasn't up to the task. It's a "loaner" from work, so I didn't want to go hog-wild on a PC I didn't own.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CroidX

@bforrester420:

You might as well built one in the future if your planning to play newer games. I wouldn't really recommend upgrading a office pc when they aren't the most upgrade friendly .

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bforrester420

@CroidX: I thought about it. I have a buddy at work that games on PC and he put together a parts list for me. All told it was around $850, but I'm cheap (I'm a saver) and couldn't bring myself to spend the money just to play the handful of PC games I really wanted. I don't get into FPS, so I don't really need anything that's going to pump out a high frame-rate with everything maxed. I started out just wanting to play Civ 5, and my old work-at-home PC was a dog.

I finagled my current system out of our desktop group by telling them my old system was performing poorly and I needed one of our "Power PCs" for the home office (which they typically don't do), which is the system I have now. Instead of putting together an over-powered-for-my-needs system for $850, I got one for $119 (the cost of the GPU) with the added bonus that it does more than I originally planned.

I also have a 900p monitor (no HDMI), so I also wanted a GPU that had an old school VGA connection.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CroidX

@bforrester420:

You could sell that pc but I guess they won't let you