Why do publishers announce games that are years off?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Someone help me understand. For instance, Everwild has been reportedly rebooted and targeting a 2024 release date. They didn't even know what the game was when they announced it so why bother?

What's the point of these cinematic trailers with no gameplay? Does anybody tell themselves "Oh I wanna play that!" when there's nothing to be played? I understand getting hyped for sequels or spiritual successors because you have a good idea of what you're signing up for, but for these brand new IP's that show off a cinematic trailer 3 years before they even have a release date, I just don't get it.

It can't be for marketing purposes because we tend to forget about these games after a few weeks until they reappear years later. At least when they got something to show, they can keep the hype train going until release day rather than let it die and restarting the engine every time.

Thoughts?

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

If it's a public company, then the announcement can at least keep shareholders at bay. Other than that, I have no friggin clue why developers do this.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Building hype, which builds interest, which tickle's investors' fancies in a game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Xbox once tried this but then got fucked in the arse by Sony who announced all the games (and great games too).

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

To see reactions and feedback. Adjust the direction of the game. Maybe, I dunno.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Not sure 100% why they do it, just not sure it's become the new thing to hate on this site.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69421 Posts

Everwild is not the first and it wouldn't be the last. There are so many examples of this practice. Deep down and Beyond Good and Evil 2 comes to mind. Then you have gamers always demanding to show something new. Why they didn't show this or that? If the media and gamers encourage developers to only show games when they are in a launch window of no greater than a year, then this trend would not be as common.

Any game that has no gameplay shown, should not exist in any gamers mind.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

I don’t mind if they announce games that are 1 or 2 years off something to look forward too

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Gotta build hype. And the goofballs on YouTube are free marketing, and will talk about “how good the game looks,” with or without actual gameplay. Keeping the hype high is good for awareness. Just ask CDPR. They executed prelaunch marketing, during a pandemic, flawlessly. If only the production and QC departments were as good.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

First Duke Nukem Forever trailer looked amazing then 13 years later after many cancellations the game was not the same.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

First they tease to implant the memory and the hope.

Then when the game get's closer, they announce it again and open up pre-sales.

Then all you suckers, for some reason, pre-order a game you don't need to pre-order.

That's why they do it. To git you, suckas.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

They're announcing games they don't even have ideas for because the gaming industry is all about money. They'll find a niche they can fill or look at another popular game to copy in the mean time. It doesn't even take 3 years for an AAA studio to build a game especially when most of them have in-house engines they build on top of anyway. An indie team can knock out a better game than most AAA developers can in under half the time and charge a fraction of the price for it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38807 Posts

I agree, its dumb. Nothing should be announced if its not coming out in the 12 coming months. If it gets delayed, that's fine, but don't announce a game such as Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, ES6 and Hellblade 2 when none of them will be released before 2024.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think it’s different for MS/Sony than for the others. They have to make it seem like there are a ton of interesting games coming to their platform. So if something has a logo it’s going in there.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

A lot of it is to do with meeting unrealistic expectations of certain people to show a huge amount of games, when they clearly aren't ready.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts

Better to announce a far off date then delay the game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Because they are excited about what they are working on.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I think it’s different for MS/Sony than for the others. They have to make it seem like there are a ton of interesting games coming to their platform. So if something has a logo it’s going in there.

And this is probably the #1 reason. Those who sell consoles want people to buy consoles and the more great games people think will be coming out for a console, the more they may be encouraged to buy it.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

They looked at Sony E3 of 2015 or something like that which announced games with nothing but CGI that won't be seen for 5 a decade later and whole internet/media went crazy.

The industry in general should follow the Rockstar's lead on this.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

So they can Cyberpunk yo ass.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@Miyomatic said:

If it's a public company, then the announcement can at least keep shareholders at bay. Other than that, I have no friggin clue why developers do this.

Came to say the same. And if it's a platform publisher (Sony, Microsoft for ex) it also gives excitement for the future of that platform.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Generally to stir up hype, but it's hard to tell. Sometimes the current console tech is not up to par for the games to be announced for an earlier release date.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

To give the illusion u got something brewing to keep people investing into there platform.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38807 Posts

Bet you Metroid 4 will come out 5 years after its annoucement. Half a decade. OOF.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

I think by law any PLC has to announce projects to their shareholders. If you are going to spend millions on producing a game the shareholders have a right to decide if they want to continue to have shares in the company.

If there are any privately owned companies not listed it may be different.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8852 Posts

@Juub1990: If they are a public company, or owned by a public company, it is good for stock prices.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2406 Posts

Mostly for shareholders, I think.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Someone help me understand. For instance, Everwild has been reportedly rebooted and targeting a 2024 release date. They didn't even know what the game was when they announced it so why bother?

What's the point of these cinematic trailers with no gameplay? Does anybody tell themselves "Oh I wanna play that!" when there's nothing to be played? I understand getting hyped for sequels or spiritual successors because you have a good idea of what you're signing up for, but for these brand new IP's that show off a cinematic trailer 3 years before they even have a release date, I just don't get it.

It can't be for marketing purposes because we tend to forget about these games after a few weeks until they reappear years later. At least when they got something to show, they can keep the hype train going until release day rather than let it die and restarting the engine every time.

Thoughts?

A lot of reasons:

• To get ahead of leaks, eg. "I heard developer X is working on a massively-multiplayer dating sim!" Er, no. We know what they are working on because they announced it a year ago.
  • To gauge interest and overall buzz. If they announce it early and nobody gives a hoot, they can figure out what to do about it, whether to change the marketing pitch or change the game itself, or cancel it altogether. This is much easier when the game is three years out than when it's six months out.
  • Simply to let everyone know "hey, we're still here and making a game!"
  • To aid with hiring. Drop a well-received teaser three years out, and you'll attract more developer talent as you staff up for full production.