Why do people say that Xbox gamers hate Japanese games?

• 58 results
GamiMaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GamiMaze
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

I am primary an Xbox gamer, the Xbox One X is the most powerful system in the universe, My 5 favorite games of all time are Metroid Prime, Okami, Halo 3, Ori and the Blind Forest, Bayonetta

Out of my top 5, 3 of those games are Japanese games. My favorite game director is Kamiya, and my biggest reason for buying a PS4 is to play Dragon Quest 11, I don't appreciate being called xenophobic and I am demanding an apology.

Where do people get the idea that Xbox gamers hate Japanese games? Also isn't PS4 now the de facto shooter box since it has all of the COD and Destiny and Star Wars bundles, DLC and marketing deals?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

This is going to end well...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

I think it's just cows trying to shit on xbox fans. even if it's not true. And since xbox is american then they use that narrative to "prove it".

quite a joke actually.

GamiMaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GamiMaze

@joebones5000 said:

Because they sell shit and most Japanese devs ignore the platform because of it. You can't deny the numbers.

To be fair it's mostly the crappy Japanese games like Valkyria Revolution that come to Xbox. Good Japanese games like DB FighterZ and Resident evil 7 will sell, not as much as the PS4 versions because it has 2x the install base but they'll still sell well.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@gamimaze said:

I don't appreciate being called xenophobic and I am demanding an apology.

best of luck with that

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@gamimaze said:

I am primary an Xbox gamer, the Xbox One X is the most powerful system in the universe, My 5 favorite games of all time are Metroid Prime, Okami, Halo 3, Ori and the Blind Forest, Bayonetta

Out of my top 5, 3 of those games are Japanese games. My favorite game director is Kamiya, and my biggest reason for buying a PS4 is to play Dragon Quest 11, I don't appreciate being called xenophobic and I am demanding an apology.

Where do people get the idea that Xbox gamers hate Japanese games? Also isn't PS4 now the de facto shooter box since it has all of the COD and Destiny and Star Wars bundles, DLC and marketing deals?

To whom?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Xbox people hate Japanese games or Japanese people hate Xbox games? Probably both.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

You are new here. Most Lems put down Japanese games here. And they don't buy them , unless they are trash like Dead Framerate 3 that isn't on PS4 and looks western made in style. Then it's ok. It was also ok to pretend to be excited about Scalebound for whatever reason. It's also ok to pretend to get excited everytime uncle Phil Spencer takes a trip to Japan. And all the while bashing PS4's Japanese games not on Xbawx.

Now Lems like Ironwolf actually like Japanese games and decided to jump in to PlayStation greatness. They got tired of Phil's empty promises.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Dating sims are the worst

GamiMaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GamiMaze

@Nike_Air: I wanted Scalebound though, I'll buy anything Kamiya touches, that man is a God among men

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

Because Xbox doesn't have a history with Japan. Microsoft usually avoids Japan and people in Japan ignore the Xbox.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Xbox gamers don't hate Japanese games, it's not really gear towards Xbox gamers and saying hate is a strong word. (A "Hate" word I don't like using)

As a fan JRPG, you are more inclined to believe that you are going to end up either with portables, or a PlayStation anyway, cause the original Xbox did not have a lot of JRPG's, the Xbox 360 did, but to most JRPG fans, the writing was on the wall, it also did not help that some main JRPG series went portable, and the ones on the consoles just were not up to par with them, or the one's from the past for the most part. I mean there was a rarity here, and there, but overall, the JRPG scene on consoles was average at best, and the portables got a lot of good stuff. And it actually got worse, when in the end, MS kind of gave up, and PS3 started getting more JRPG's, then the writing really was on the wall.

Some of the System Warriors here get's it, MS used to go out of their way with Japanese support. They had a ton of Japanese games and just basically lost so much money on them.

MadBoss80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MadBoss80
Member since 2017 • 56 Posts

I'm an Xbox gamer and I just bought dragon ball fighterz and monster hunter. I also have ff15, medtal gear 5, resident evil 7, and dark souls 1,2, and 3

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44150 Posts

The Xbox One is my primary system of choice and I love Japanese games myself. Would certainly love to see more of them make their way to the system.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

Xbox fans don't hate Japanese games, they hate anything associated with the success of playstation...and that happnens to include a lot of Japanese developed games, so xbot fannies bash the shit out of them as a whole to undermine their existence at all times UNLESS it's exclusive to xbox or widely known multiplat like the Souls games.

Quick trip down memory lane, and last gen on the 360 xbox fans had Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata as some of the TOP games to buy the system for FACTS!

This reasoning is the same for why they "hate" cinematic games yet 98% of the xboys on here will say The Watcher 3 is the best game this generation, so much for hating cinematic games.

As you can see Xbox fans actually love most of the games PS4 has and gets but are not allowed to say it because it highlights the inferiority of their platform and shows how silly they are for supporting a system with little in the way of games to be excited for.

The reality of xbox Systm Wars fanboys in a nutshell.

This may not apply to you TC but that is how it is for your clan here on this board.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DrLostRib

@tgob89 said:

Xbox fans don't hate Japanese games, they hate anything associated with the success of playstation...and that happnens to include a lot of Japanese developed games, so xbot fannies bash the shit out of them as a whole to undermine their existence at all times UNLESS it's exclusive to xbox or widely known multiplat like the Souls games.

This is the same reason they "hate" cinematic games yet 98% of the xboys on here will say The Watcher 3 is the best game this generation.

Xbox fans actually love most of the games PS4 has and gets but are not allowed to say it because it highlights the inferiority of their platform and shows how silly they are for supporting a system with little in the way of games to be excited for.

This may not apply to you TC but that is how it is for your clan here on this board.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Most Xbox gamers like Madden and dude bro games.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrLostRib

@SolidGame_basic said:

pretty sure that's most PS4 gamers as well

GamiMaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GamiMaze

@SolidGame_basic said:

And PS4 gamers don't?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Because Japanese games sell like shit on Xbox and lems on SW spend half their time putting down Japanese games by calling them weaboo games.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tgob89

@drlostrib said:
@tgob89 said:

This is the same reason they "hate" cinematic games yet 98% of the xboys on here will say The Watcher 3 is the best game this generation.

Xbox fans actually love most of the games PS4 has and gets but are not allowed to say it because it highlights the inferiority of their platform and shows how silly they are for supporting a system with little in the way of games to be excited for.

? nice response or rather deflection.

You are good for derail attempts and troll posts I guess but not much else in the way of relevant replies.

Did my post trigger you sweet heart? Truth hurts and my post is consistent with the course of events for xbox fans over the last generation. Feel free to test for accuracy and validation.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrLostRib

@tgob89 said:
@drlostrib said:
@tgob89 said:

? nice response or rather deflection.

You are good for derail attempts and troll posts I guess but not much else in the way of relevant replies.

Did my post trigger you sweet heart? Truth hurts and my post is consistent with the course of events for xbox fans over the last generation. Feel free to test for accuracy and validation.

uh huh...says the month old account

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tgob89

@metalboi said:
@Archangel3371 said:

The Xbox One is my primary system of choice and I love Japanese games myself. Would certainly love to see more of them make their way to the system.

I wish more Xbox fans had your attitude and positivity in general about all things gaming.

With all things gaming there are good and bad apples in all genres no matter where the games come from.

It's just the extreme jealous fanboys that blow one type out of game out of proportion in the negative area because there isn't a premier game of that type on their favorite platform, so they feel the need to slander the entire genre, type or origin of where the game came from to make themselves feel better about not having an equal alternative.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tgob89

@drlostrib said:

*shrug* says the 6mo old account

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Its rather simple. Japanese simply prefer to support Japanese companies and have for years.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Because of the sales splits. Xbox One and PS4 aren't super far apart in sales in the US due to MS desperately making their box as cheap as possible at any given opportunity. But, certain games definitely have a gulf in sales, namely, the Japanese ones. The core Xbox fandom had prided themselves of being free of a need for Japanese games last gen due to their perception of not looking gruff or military enough and the lack of competitive online social components.

Now that Japanese games are coming back to the limelight and making a name for themselves in the western world again due to the diminishing popularity of the Xbox, they've become derided by that fandom as they're seen as an asset to the Playstation library. Are there some weeby games? Yes? But a good game is a good game, and hardcore Xbox zealots aren't doing themselves any favors by turning their noses up at them when they appear on their system.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tgob89

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Because of the sales splits. Xbox One and PS4 aren't super far apart in sales in the US due to MS desperately making their box as cheap as possible at any given opportunity. But, certain games definitely have a gulf in sales, namely, the Japanese ones. The core Xbox fandom had prided themselves of being free of a need for Japanese games last gen due to their perception of not looking gruff or military enough and the lack of competitive online social components.

Now that Japanese games are coming back to the limelight and making a name for themselves in the western world again due to the diminishing popularity of the Xbox, they've become derided by that fandom as they're seen as an asset to the Playstation library. Are there some weeby games? Yes? But a good game is a good game, and hardcore Xbox zealots aren't doing themselves any favors by turning their noses up at them when they appear on their system.

The don't bro

@tgob89 said:

Xbox fans don't hate Japanese games, they hate anything associated with the success of playstation...and that happnens to include a lot of Japanese developed games

Quick trip down memory lane, and last gen on the 360 xbox fans had Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata as some of the TOP games to buy the 360 for FACTS!

As you can see Xbox fans actually love most of the games PS4 has and gets but are not allowed to say it because it highlights the inferiority of their platform and shows how silly they are for supporting a system with little in the way of games to be excited for.

Xbox fans love themselves some Dragon Ball Fighters Z, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, don't let their rabid rants about Japanese games confuse you to their real issue...being that they can't call any one of these high profile Japanese games their own.

If Scalebound had been released you'd see a whole different song and dance from xbox fans on the board about Japanese games even if it only managed to score a 7.0 **cough* Lost Odyssey *cough**

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrLostRib
@tgob89 said:
@drlostrib said:

*shrug* says the 6mo old account

lol, really?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Well, even though I own a Nintendo system as well, here are the Japanese games I have/had on my 360 and ONE, so...

360:

Bayonetta

MGS HD Collection HD (formerly) - Though the porting team of this are western.

Tekken 6

Tekken Tag 2 (formerly; own the Wii U version now)

Soul Calibur IV and V

Super Street Fighter IV AE (free when it was on XBL Gold)

ONE:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1 and 2

Final Fantasy XV (sister bought this)

Okami HD

One Piece: Burning Blood

Nope, don't hate Japanese games on the XBOX.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I would say it's because traditionally, Playstation gets way, way, more JRPGs and they sell better on that platform. Microsoft I would still consider the shooter's genre's console of choice (look at the first party focus on multiplayer) but to be honest, shoehorning platforms into generic categories to prove a blanket statement is for the weak and lazy. Just play what you want and look at everything with an open mind no matter what platform it's on.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

It is Microsoft's fault. They cannot sell in Japan, so they get less games made there. Simple as that.

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

I don't hate them, I primarily use Xbox. I also like a lot of Japanese games that happen to be multiplat. On the same token, you won't see me getting a JRPG any time soon. So you know, when exclusive JRPG's are touted as compelling reason to own a PS4 over XB1, and Xbox users say "Not interested", that probably could get twisted into "We hate Japanese games!"

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The only reason I can think why anyone would think this is because A lot of the Niche Japanese games that showed up on Xbox 360 didn't sell too well as they did on the PS3.

And yeah I mean Niche games. Games that didn't exactly hit the mainstream or were ever going to hit the mainstream. Games like Magna Carta 2, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon and Tales of Vesperia. These are some fine games, but they're pretty niche and no one would really bat an eye to them.

Besides, if it was true that "Xbox Gamers don't like Japanese games" then why do Anime games keep showing up on the Platform (in the form of One piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, and Dragon Ball)? And Why are games like Dark Souls, Tekken, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy keep showing up on the platform and seem to actually be doing REALLY well on Xbox? It must be because they "hate" Japanese games!

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@gamimaze said:

Ithe Xbox One X is the most powerful system in the universe

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I don't hate Japanese games but IMO most, not all are pretty crappy games, and the reason my PS4 is right now collecting dust.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@shawty_beatz said:
@gamimaze said:

Ithe Xbox One X is the most powerful system in the universe

LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5c746fddbe486
deactivated-5c746fddbe486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5c746fddbe486
Member since 2017 • 193 Posts

PS4 is pointless if you don’t like japanese games, l’ve a PS4 and Horizon was the last time l turned it on, cows keep telling me PS4 has all the games, l can’t find any

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I dont mind when they make multiplayer/co-op games like Monster Hunter World, Lost Planet and Dead Rising. Hopefully MS can work with some competent Devs to bring more multiplayer games. Just seeing how Monster Hunter World plays on xbox live and x1x, game is amazing. Some untapped potential for more japanese multiplayer/co-op games.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Bayonetta on 360 was much better version than the version of PS3. At the time, there were more people owned a 360 than people with PS3. Yet, the PS3 version outsold the 360 version. All the favors were to 360, but still the PS3 sold more. How do you exmplain that?

And by the way, despite Tales of Vesperia was 360 exslusive on the west. You know how I did play it? On ps3. With version that had more story, more bosses, and more playable characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#45 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think there are plenty of gamers who like Japanese games and enjoy XBox systems, especially nowadays.

The fact of the matter is that the XBox is an American system, and receives more support from Western developers than the Japanese, who would typically tend to support the Japanese Sony and Nintendo systems.

That said, there have been some very good Japanese games on XBox. There will likely be more to come.

I just don't think it is something Microsoft should spend too much energy pursuing. They shouldn't throw money at it, or invest in Japan too heavily if the consumers there just aren't interested.

I think the company should want to make XBox and its games and developers the best they can be in the West, and then interest abroad will surely follow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I can’t speak for ALL Xbox gamers, and I’m only speaking from experience and what I’ve come up with for the past 16 years as a Gamespot Xbox gamer and in terms of overall consensus regarding Japanese games and the Xbox community. I’m sure there are many many Xbox fans out there who love JRPGs, and more power to them.

For me, the way I see it, it’s the JRPG genre that some Xbox gamers, myself included, that DON’T like or enjoy, especially Turn Based JRPGS.

Most Xbox fans prefer GAMEPLAY and some of us just don’t see that important element in the Turn Based JRPG genre. Hence, why they are “Turn Based”.

These days, When it comes to Japanese games being talked about, it’s most likely to be in the Turn Based JRPG genre. And most likely exclusive on a PlayStation platform, something some Xbox gamers don’t care about. Basically, “let the PlayStation fans have them!”

So at the end, it’s not the game developed from Japan that’s being “hated”, it’s the JRPG turn based genre that some of us aren’t interested in.

Ninja Gaiden is an example of a Japanese developed game that I’m sure most Xbox gamers hold dearly. And Gameplay is strictly emphasized.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Go look at a Playstation or Nintendo exclusive lineup list and you'll see lems and Xbox fanboys damage control by calling them weeb games. You can also find some on System Wars. There is some truth to the Xbox playerbase being mostly dudebros. Xbox fanboys brought this stereotype upon themselves. When the 360 lineup started getting weak while Playstation's was growing the first thing they did was attack Japanese games because they made up a good chunk of the PS3's lineup and Japan/Anime oriented things in the West generally have a social stigma against them (For perverts/pedos and socially awkward cringey people that try to be Japanese). The Xbox One is severely lacking exclusive games to Xbox fanboys are doubling down even harder on trying to diss Japanese games. It's pretty sad because the Xbox and the 360 in its early days had a decent amount of Japanese games exclusively for their consoles back when Microsoft was still trying to make the Xbox a hit in Japan.

@LegatoSkyheart said:

The only reason I can think why anyone would think this is because A lot of the Niche Japanese games that showed up on Xbox 360 didn't sell too well as they did on the PS3.

And yeah I mean Niche games. Games that didn't exactly hit the mainstream or were ever going to hit the mainstream. Games like Magna Carta 2, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon and Tales of Vesperia. These are some fine games, but they're pretty niche and no one would really bat an eye to them.

Besides, if it was true that "Xbox Gamers don't like Japanese games" then why do Anime games keep showing up on the Platform (in the form of One piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, and Dragon Ball)? And Why are games like Dark Souls, Tekken, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy keep showing up on the platform and seem to actually be doing REALLY well on Xbox? It must be because they "hate" Japanese games!

I don't think this helps your case much. What I'm getting out of your post is that the only Japanese games that can do well on Xbox are ones based off animes that are highly popular in the West, Japanese games that look very western and the most mainstream games to come out of Japan.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don’t like Japanese games on any system.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

I think its unfair to say lemmings don't like only Japanese games; Xbox gamers don't like any games, because they bought a system without any.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Who are the "people" who are saying this?