Why do console gamers pay to play online when it is free on PC?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

When I saw that the PS4 was coming out with a pay to play online fee I knew I was done with online gaming on consoles. I mean one of the advantages the PS3 had over the 360 was that it was free to play online. I don't even know how they get away with this because what they are offering is inferior to what is free on PC. The so called "free" games you are getting is not even a good deal either because what they are giving you can be had cheaper on PC in most cases also. I don't know why people don't realize they are being ripped off by MS and Sony and they do it because they know the masses of sheep in the gaming community will pay for it when MS tried that on PC they failed because PC gamers are in general smarter consumers and will not stand for it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I don't pay for online. I pay for the free games that come with the subscription.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Consoles are closed systems. In their internal markets, MS and Sony have absolute monopolies. You think the likes of Valve, EA and Blizzard wouldn't charge for online if they could? Online services do cost money to run, you know. MS tried to charge PC players for online once, and all that did was make PC players, who were used to free competitors, riot until they backtracked. That pretty much scared everyone else out of even thinking about it.

If console players were to do the same, MS and Sony would just very politely and diplomatically tell them to suck it up and pay. Console players have no choice, and for a lot of players, that's fine by them.

Of course, MS and Sony have since smartly added some perks to soften the blow a bit. I consider them to be customer loyalty programmes, which is normal.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Did you travel back in time or are you just slow?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#5 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Don't know man. Never could figure that shit out. Paying for internet again on top of paying internet providers in 2016 feels a bit odd. But I noticed that PC gamers complain way more than Console gamers if they feel something is wrong (paid mods, pre order bonuses, bad ports etc), while Console gamers don't speak for their rights.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I don't pay for online. I pay for the free games that come with the subscription.

You don't even get to keep the games it's like a rental when the subscription runs out then you lose the games I had subscribed before just to see what it's like and I thought I would get to keep the games then I realized you don't it's basically a scam

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@unrealgunner: Why do you care so much what we pay???

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@freedomfreak:

"I pay for the free games"

-Freedomfreak 2016

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

xbox one has dedicated servers for its first party games so i don't mind paying extra for the better experience. Sony uncharted 4 multiplayer is peer to peer thats last gen and you guys pay for that? I also think games for gold is excellent 4 games for free every month can't complain. I have a new library of 360 games and xbox one games.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Ah the ol' why do console players pay to play online but we here in the "GLORIOUS" PC race would never pay to play online... Looks at the millions of dollars PC players have spent on World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, and almost any MMO before F2P became the norm. I know they arent the same as Xbox live or PSN, but still. Also PSN and Xbox Live are actually maintaining dedicated networks and servers for their services by the way so...yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Because they're playing on consoles, not PCs, so PC having free online is absolutely irrelevant to the decision making process.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Online is free on Wii U. So you didn't have to abandon consoles.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By madrocketeer

@Cloud_imperium:

Again, what rights? We're talking about two different kinds of markets here. One is an open market with many competitors, the other are closed and absolute monopolies. On the PC, you don't want to pay for full online, you just go elsewhere, or drag their name through so much mud it make everyone else look like saints until they backtrack. That's what happened to GFWL.

On the consoles, if you want to play full-featured online, you only have two choices; pay up or go f*** yourself. It's how it is, and short of MS and Sony losing their damn minds, that's not going to change, and in the internal cost-benefit analyses of many console players, it's a price worth paying.

What's not to understand?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I have a great career that pays lots of money and I personally don't pay full price when it comes to XBL/PSN, I look for deals on those 1-year subs when there on sale, I buy those pre-paid cards like around $35 or below, and never full prices.

Now then to answer you're question, paying is always an optional and if you are not a heavy fan of MP gaming, then don't pay to play, that's it. I may have a PC yes but how the hell am I'm supposed to play exclusive games like Halo 5 on PC? Yeah people don't even take into account when there favorite games are NOT on PC.

Like freedomfreak said, I don't personally pay for online only, I also pay for those freebie games and good discount games as well.

Real talk: PS+ was very helpful subby back on PS3, it let me play freebie games when I was still in collage when I didn't have time to go buy games at the time and it was a very helpful tool for me, so PS+ was a big help for me and I could go on and on but Gold subby was a joke back during the 360 era early days until M$ started copying Sony's PS+ freebie games offering.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

I dunno,some people dont mind paying more for less I suppose.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@unrealgunner said:

When I saw that the PS4 was coming out with a pay to play online fee I knew I was done with online gaming on consoles. I mean one of the advantages the PS3 had over the 360 was that it was free to play online. I don't even know how they get away with this because what they are offering is inferior to what is free on PC. The so called "free" games you are getting is not even a good deal either because what they are giving you can be had cheaper on PC in most cases also. I don't know why people don't realize they are being ripped off by MS and Sony and they do it because they know the masses of sheep in the gaming community will pay for it when MS tried that on PC they failed because PC gamers are in general smarter consumers and will not stand for it.

Yes especially sony exclusive games those are extremely easy to get on PC.

They pay because on Sony's console is mandatory now Thanks MS.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Well you get what you pay for... Ever visit the boards of Steam and count the "I GOT SCAMMED!" threads?

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

@so_hai:Ever heard of refund or don't buy garbage games.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I bought mine because the PSN+ deals make games cheaper and in a full year i'll end up saving a lot more than I actually spent on the sub.

I hate the idea of paying to play online, but that's not the reason why I bought my sub and I would never have bought one for that reason.

How long would it take me to get my money back when I get $10 to $20 off the price no-sub members pay for games throughout the year? I bought my sub for better deals on games I play and nothing else. When the deals start becoming bad, I'll end my sub. I've already earned my $50 back and it's not even mid year

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It's worth it to not have to deal with the hackers and cheaters.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Maybe because...they are "console gamers" and not "PC gamers"

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

@Cloud_imperium:

Again, what rights? We're talking about two different kinds of markets here. One is an open market with many competitors, the other are closed and absolute monopolies. On the PC, you don't want to pay for full online, you just go elsewhere, or drag their name through so much mud it make everyone else look like saints until they backtrack. That's what happened to GFWL.

On the consoles, if you want to play full-featured online, you only have two choices; pay up or go f*** yourself. It's how it is, and short of MS and Sony losing their damn minds, that's not going to change, and in the internal cost-benefit analyses of many console players, it's a price worth paying.

What's not to understand?

You got a point there.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#23 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

That used to be the case with XBLG but now I think of it as a subscription for free games every month. I don't even realize online play is required. Both PS+ and Gold seems to justify when account all of the games you get by the end of the year.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 madrocketeer

@Cloud_imperium:

Apologies, I broke my own rule of never posting while grumpy, so in my grumpiness, I got cynical and tried to pour a cold bucket of hard truth on everyone.

I wish I could say it won't happen again, but... ...yeah. Sorry.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I don't, I don't see the value in it. Plenty to play without paying a subscription.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I refuse to pay for the same thing twice. I aint no fool, i pity the fool!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I did it for a while when I was into Halo: Reach.

I think the mentality is "I'll just pay it because I have no other option and I want to play this particular game online".

I still find it amazing how, for the entirety of last generation, cows derided lemmings (and just general 360 users in general) to the ends of the Earth for paying to play online, made fun of them to no end... but as soon as Sony announces that their next console is pay-to-play online, they don't say another word about it and start praising Sony's decision like it's the first of it's kind and a monumental move towards making gamer's lives better.

Then I mention "hypocrisy of the highest order" and get nothing but excuses.

Personally, I can understand why people do it, but I don't think it should be necessary to play a part of a game you've already paid for. And no amount of "free" content can make up for it.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

because its my money and i'm not a poor welfare gamer like most PC peasants

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@tormentos said:

So it's Microsoft's fault that Sony charges for online gaming? What the **** is going on in your mind?

More like Sony saw how much money MS makes from subscriptions and thought "**** me! these idiots not only happily pay for online gaming, they actually openly defend the practice. Let's get on that band wagon". That's not MS's fault that is entirely Sony.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Probably has something to do with the part where they have no choice in the matter.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Because it's so fucking cheap that someone who can't afford it shouldn't be playing games in the first place.

Pharoahogc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pharoahogc1
Member since 2004 • 174 Posts

@unrealgunner: ya but let's be honest who is going to own their console and not subscribe, I know a lot of people say they won't but that's kind of like having a sports car and only ever letting it go in 2nd gear

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@Epak_ said:

Because it's so fucking cheap that someone who can't afford it shouldn't be playing games in the first place.

This ^^

But even on pc, and with its free online, 40% of all pc revenue are from online games ( mmo etc...)

Bad consumers habit, that's for sure, but it started long time ago that i don't see any turning back possible now.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Damn, 10 bucks a month ( for XBL and PS+ ) is going to leave me poor and homeless.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@tormentos said:

So it's Microsoft's fault that Sony charges for online gaming? What the **** is going on in your mind?

More like Sony saw how much money MS makes from subscriptions and thought "**** me! these idiots not only happily pay for online gaming, they actually openly defend the practice. Let's get on that band wagon". That's not MS's fault that is entirely Sony the stupidity of loyal xbox fanboys.

fixed

*The defending of the practice you just described...that was 100% xbox fanboys doing! And they did it before MS offered any kind of free game service or discount off games for members who signed up*

So, you are half right, it wasn't MS's fault...but it wasn't Sony's fault either. MS just introduced it, but It was xbox fanboys rabid defense and mass enforcement of the practice that made it viable to begin with. If xbox fans would have given MS the finger on that pay to play shit to begin with the garbage would never have caught on to start with.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Probably has something to do with the part where they have no choice in the matter.

/thread

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

This is another reason I dropped console gaming. I find it ridiculous to have to pay to play online. $60 a year is a game that I can keep even if I stop paying the fee. Those saying they pay for the free games are hilarious.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@casharmy said:
MS just introduced it, but It was xbox fanboys rabid defense and mass enforcement of the practice that made it viable to begin with. If xbox fans would have given MS the finger on that pay to play shit to begin with the garbage would never have caught on to start with.

MS just cut & pasted the late 90s PC gaming services such as Mplayer, etc. Those died long before GFWL ever came about. MS has zero original ideas. ( cept for controllers, those are nice :D )

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

There's no other choice if you want to play MP. Simple as that.

As consumers, we can vote with our wallets (something PC gamers are surprisingly good at -- i.e. Games for Windows Live), but getting enough people not to be sheep is just going to be inherently flawed... Unless it's the BLM crowd or Third-Wave Feminism crap.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

More like Sony saw how much money MS makes from subscriptions and thought "**** me! these idiots not only happily pay for online gaming, they actually openly defend the practice. Let's get on that band wagon". That's not MS's fault that is entirely Sony.

WTF is going on yours?

Do you actually believe we would be paying for online play now if it wasn't for MS.?

Exactly which is fu**ing MS fault because SONY SAW HOW MUCH CASH MS WAS MAKING.

If that genie would still on its bottle non of this sh** would have happen,Sony didn't enter the industry with higher prices than Nintendo on its games,the PS2 wasn't expensive at $300 while being a DVD player and games cost more to make to and still were $50,there is no indication that sony would charge what so ever for online play,in fact it was free for 2 generations on a row,what is worse more games on PS3 ran on dedicated servers than on xbox 360 which was $50 then $60 while sony was doing it free,how about Home again Free.

It was how they saw MS making cash the problem,not only that as fanboy for the xbox not only gladly line to be rip off but freaking defended that shit even when on PS3 you got it free,with more servers,apps like PS Home,free netflix,hulu internet browser and PSN games could even be share,when live charged you even for freaking netflix.

So yeah it was MS fault to yes we all should thank MS,the bad things are easy to copy and in most cultures are the things that people learn the fastest to.

Funny enough MS also introduce microtransactions with the xbox 360 was well,and look at PC now a place were most games use to get free mods,now it ridden with microtransactions as well,and less and less games give free stuff.

Bad things do stick and MS brought some of the worse ones into the industry.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By madrocketeer

@GarGx1:

To be fair, when XBL was first introduced, PlayStation's online was, shall we say, not exactly an optimal experience. XBL was miles better than what Sony had at the time, and Microsoft sold it as a premium service and a selling point for the then fledgeling XBox console.

As the platform established itself over the years, the practice stuck. Those early days were the time for someone to call MS on their bulls***. Now? It's too late. If players were to revolt now, MS and Sony would just release a press statement, basically very politely and articulately telling them here's another customer loyalty programme, now pay up or eat s***.

Something I consider to be a cautionary tale for PC and Nintendo players.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

because you either pay or dont play online with consoles. And since I have a lot of friends who play on consoles and the games you get with subscribtion, $90-$100 a year is nothing for both services.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

What a stupid question.

Bc we have to.

But it's not like Sony and MS don't give games in return.

Why do PC gamers play on a platform where there so much hacking and cheating?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Because PC is for porn only, and here, and not much else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

can google any playstation game and find hacks... top talking out of your ass.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#46 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Have you played Diablo3 online?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Why do you pay for anti-virus on PC? Or a new OS?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox

@Epak_ said:

I'd personally rather spend that money on other games than unlocking a feature I've already paid for.

But that's just me...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 foxhound_fox

@Ant_17 said:

Why do you pay for anti-virus on PC? Or a new OS?

People pay for those things? I upgraded to Windows 10 for free when it was offered and the best anti-virus is not going to sites that have them.