Why didn't you get a gaming PC yet?

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Let's be honest. It's far and away the best platform. What are your reasons for not having a gaming PC?

Cost? Convenience? Space? Laziness? More of a console gamer? Not interested in superior quality?

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#3 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

I see a very loaded question here. Surprise surprise.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990

@joebones5000 said:

Cost of upgrading my pc for slightly better visuals vs the cost of console didn't make sense.

Doesn't apply to you. You already have a gaming PC.

night-dreamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 night-dreamers
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

Consoles filled up exactly what I wanted from them. I got a PC when I wanted to do something I couldn't do, player shooters, a genre I had no interest in before Overwatch.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Too poor.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Friends. Most game on consoles

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Im poor at the moment but ill be building one soon

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I'm not interested, I like consoles.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I have two

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

I have a solid enough Laptop, the only game I ever really play on PC is dota2, which you don't need a high end rig for. I chose consoles purely from a friends perspective, plus certain console exclusives (more so ps3/4 side) appealed to me

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

i have a dream that one day ppl will realize PC gaming is not expensive.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

It's unnecessary. I don't like keyboard and mouse for games. I don't like sitting at a desk to play games. I don't want a PC in my entertainment center. I don't want to validate the purchases of insecure PC video gamers, I'd rather see them continue to be upset about people playing on consoles. I don't like windows. I don't care about resolution and frame rate. I like physical disks. I don't like computers, they are a necessary evil. The master race fanboys are the most nauseating thing going and I don't want to be mistaken for one. A good gaming PC costs more than I want to pay, it's not one of my priorities in life. Are these enough reasons? I can copy and paste it next week when it gets asked again. PC gamers are seriously going to commit suicide if everyone doesn't buy a gaming rig soon.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

PC hasn't had a big exclusive AAA game since Crysis.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjorh

@mark1974 said:

It's unnecessary. I don't like keyboard and mouse for games. I don't like sitting at a desk to play games. I don't want a PC in my entertainment center. I don't want to validate the purchases of insecure PC video gamers, I'd rather see them continue to be upset about people playing on consoles. I don't like windows. I don't care about resolution and frame rate. I like physical disks. I don't like computers, they are a necessary evil. The master race fanboys are the most nauseating thing going and I don't want to be mistaken for one. A good gaming PC costs more than I want to pay, it's not one of my priorities in life. Are these enough reasons? I can copy and paste it next week when it gets asked again. PC gamers are seriously going to commit suicide if everyone doesn't buy a gaming rig soon.

Fanboys.

And they're everywhere on each platform, you shouldn't let them cloud your judgement, however, it seems that you have enough reasons to not game on PC so fanboys are outta the question,

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Already have one

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990

@mark1974

1.It's unnecessary: It plays games. Does a lot of other things too.

2. I don't like keyboard and mouse for games: You don't have to.

3. I don't like sitting at a desk to play games: You can sit on a couch.

4. I don't want a PC in my entertainment center: Some are small and look terrific. You can also put it in a different room.

5. don't want to validate the purchases of insecure PC video gamers: You don't have to.

6. I don't like windows: There's Mac and Linux and other OS.

7. I don't care about resolution and frame rate: You can enjoy games on a fairly modest PC.

8. I like physical disks: That's a bit trickier. Most PC games still offer a physical disk but yeah, PC is 90% digital now.

9. I don't like computers, they are a necessary evil: Not sure I understand.

10. The master race fanboys are the most nauseating thing going and I don't want to be mistaken for one: Why do you care about them? More importantly, why would you care people associate you with them?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Pc gaming is a waste of time.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mark1974

1. So do consoles. I own a few computers for the other things anyway.

2. You don't have to use keyboard and mouse on consoles either.

3. I can also sit on the couch while playing my console.

4. Still don't want it in my entertainment center.

5. I wont

6. I own a Mac and don't want to play games on it.

7. I can enjoy games on my consoles.

8.yep

9. I gain no enjoyment from using computers. I dislike fixing them.

10. I don't really care about them.

A gaming PC would be superfluous in my life. I have owned them in the past and I still preferred my consoles.

@Juub1990 said:

@mark1974

1.It's unnecessary: It plays games. Does a lot of other things too.

2. I don't like keyboard and mouse for games: You don't have to.

3. I don't like sitting at a desk to play games: You can sit on a couch.

4. I don't want a PC in my entertainment center: Some are small and look terrific. You can also put it in a different room.

5. don't want to validate the purchases of insecure PC video gamers: You don't have to.

6. I don't like windows: There's Mac and Linux and other OS.

7. I don't care about resolution and frame rate: You can enjoy games on a fairly modest PC.

8. I like physical disks: That's a bit trickier. Most PC games still offer a physical disk but yeah, PC is 90% digital now.

9. I don't like computers, they are a necessary evil: Not sure I understand.

10. The master race fanboys are the most nauseating thing going and I don't want to be mistaken for one: Why do you care about them? More importantly, why would you care people associate you with them?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For those in Canada, there's the Canadian Pesos problem

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I prefer consoles.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

But I have upgraded my PC.

And it was my best purchase since my last PC.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

Two reasons:

1) Cost. It costs much more than buying a console.

2) Having to constantly upgrade the bloody thing. For instance I bought a laptop which was passable for games two years ago and now I am being told I need to upgrade my processor and graphics card.

You could also add in that Windows 10 is a piece of garbage bloatware which probably doesn't help on systems that isn't high spec.

Seriously, is there a better OS than Windows for playing games? Can you play games on other OS than Windows/Mac?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

dont think we need this thread every month

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I like a more dedicated device.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Been there and done that, the PC always turns into a gigantic money pit.

I have better things to spend my money on, like decorating the house I bought last year, or finishing my turbo CRX.

It made more sense years ago when there were games on PC that you couldn't play on a console.

These days I play games with my woman, if we had a PC the complexity would put her off. I'd either be getting loads of calls at work when she can't get her game running or she would just give up and do something else.

She's paying half for out PS4 Pro, I'd have to pay for a whole PC myself.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Even if you don't end up gaming primarily on it, it will improve your quality of life. Desktops are usually much more reliable than notebooks.

Gaming notebook/laptops... eh sure I guess. My bro got a powerful laptop in 2010 and I gamed on that for a while. Heat is a big problem for these.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Juub1990: Didn't need one yesterday to have fun gaming, didn't need one today to have fun gaming, and i won't need one tomorrow to have fun gaming.

Do you have more fun with this "superior quality" you're talking about?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@mjorh said:

"I have a dream" said Luther King
Then he was gone
What would he think?
Have we his love to keep us warm? ♫

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mjorh

@KungfuKitten said:
@mjorh said:

"I have a dream" said Luther King

Then he was gone

What would he think?

Have we his love to keep us warm? ♫

Kewl :D

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Here are the reasons why I do not have a gaming PC, even though I am a PC gamer with 315 games on Steam:

1) I don't like desktops, I only play on laptops. How much does it cost for a gaming laptop?

2) I'm the consumer, which means I am always right. Game developers should make games for my computer, NOT the other way around. You make games to suit my computer, NOT me make a computer to suit your stupid pathetic game. I'm the consumer, I am the one who makes the decisions, not the stupid developers. Any game developer that makes games that only work on 0.00001% of PCs worldwide deserves to go bankrupt. And good riddance if they do. I will laugh at them for losing their worthless jobs. They don't deserve to have jobs to pay their bills if they make games hardly anybody can play. The whole point of running a business is to increase the amount of potential customers, not reduce it.

3) Cost. Why should I buy a $6000 gaming laptop when I have a mortgage to pay off?

4) Lack of optimization. No matter how powerful your gaming PC, developers will ALWAYS find a way to screw up the optimization of their games and make it run at a choppy framerate.

5) I don't care about graphics, I only care about framerate. I'll take an Atari game with smooth gameplay over Crysis at one frame per second any day of the week. Framerate matters, graphics do not.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

You may think it's better but not everyone shares the same opinion. As for me, I'll get one down the road but I'm in no rush. Consoles this gen are more than good enough to hold their own against pc.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

@killered3 said:

@Juub1990:

You may think it's better but not everyone shares the same opinion. As for me, I'll get one down the road but I'm in no rush. Consoles this gen are more than good enough to hold their own against pc.

Except when being better isn't an opinion, it's simply factual:

• No paid online
  • Better game sales (because of more competition)
  • Better graphics
  • Better performance

Those aren't opinions really...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nepu7supastar7

@R4gn4r0k:

And not everyone cares about that so in that sense, it doesn't make it any better.

1. I don't play multiplayer.

2. XBone store and PSN have great sales too. PSN mostly with flash sales that can cut prices to 80% off.

3. The only real differences in graphics are at points you have to knit pick. Like more shadows, foliage and color. Textures only change in resolution but my tv is only 1080p anyway.

4. Better performance is the only thing I can't argue with. The majority of games run on 30 fps with 1080p res for single player games. But again, that's IF you care about it. I used to game on a moderately strong pc before so I'm used to 30 fps but goddamn did I hate using graphic options just so my shitty pc could play it in a good enough setting.

Here are my points to take console over pc.

1. Exclusives. Sony and Nintendo are still good enough reasons to remember what I'd be missing out on and I hate being left out.

2. Consistency. Sure the console versions are a bit weaker but they all run to the best that the consoles can perform. No adjusting to any setting is needed. For pc, not every pc will give you that heavenly performance on EVERY game. Unless you're willing to drop more money to get there.

3. More physical games. 90% of pc's best library is digital. So you'll need a damn fine hard drive to fit the space.

4. No keyboard and mouse. I know you can use controllers for pc games but not all of them let you.

5. Easy plug in and plug out. Consoles don't take long to boot up and are convenient to do quick play sessions. And that's because consoles are dedicated hardware for gaming.

6. The threat of viruses are minimal. Unless you use the console for web browsing but because it's gaming hardware, it's easy to set it apart from other media devices. I got consoles here for gaming and pc and smartphone there for my web browsing.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@raugutcon said:

I'm not interested, I like consoles.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Convience. Dont have the space for one. Dont want to pay for that shit. Dont want to pay to upgrade the graphics card or whatever part every two and a half weeks. Consoles fufill every gaming need for me besides PC exclusives, which are limited compared to non PC exclusives.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I just bought one a couple of weeks back. I like the OS (Desktop) better on PC much easier to find stuff. Much quicker at loading games and just easier to go on internet and other stuff you cant do on consoles..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Console is the only way to game. Pee See gaming is for nerds. lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

@killered3 said:

@R4gn4r0k:

Here are my points to take console over pc.

1. Exclusives. Sony and Nintendo are still good enough reasons to remember what I'd be missing out on and I hate being left out.

2. Consistency. Sure the console versions are a bit weaker but they all run to the best that the consoles can perform. No adjusting to any setting is needed. For pc, not every pc will give you that heavenly performance on EVERY game. Unless you're willing to drop more money to get there.

3. More physical games. 90% of pc's best library is digital. So you'll need a damn fine hard drive to fit the space.

4. No keyboard and mouse. I know you can use controllers for pc games but not all of them let you.

5. Easy plug in and plug out. Consoles don't take long to boot up and are convenient to do quick play sessions. And that's because consoles are dedicated hardware for gaming.

6. The threat of viruses are minimal. Unless you use the console for web browsing but because it's gaming hardware, it's easy to set it apart from other media devices. I got consoles here for gaming and pc and smartphone there for my web browsing.

I can't argue with console exclusives. But these days you'll need to buy multiple consoles, just to get a good number of exclusives.

I own several consoles too, and own a lot of games on them. But most of my time is still spent on PC.

I like tweaking my settings. I have a mid end PC these days (CPU is high end but GTX970 is showing its age at times). And I can still run most games on a mix of high-max settings and get a solid performance.
If you buy the right GPU you'll be set for 3 years at minimum.

I like tweaking my settings because I can turn off excessive effects like: Depth of Field, lens flares, blur. On consoles you get what the developers wants to play, sometimes resulting in a blurry experience for me. The Order 1886 is a beautiful game for example, ruined by blur effects.

"3. More physical games. 90% of pc's best library is digital. So you'll need a damn fine hard drive to fit the space."

HDDs on PC are cheap. I have 5TB and didn't spend that much money on them. Also, it's a non valid argument as every PS4 and Xbone game has to be installed on the hard drive.
PC games take around 10-15 minutes to install. On consoles it takes way longer, as it's installing from a disc. That brings me to:

"5. Easy plug in and plug out. Consoles don't take long to boot up and are convenient to do quick play sessions. And that's because consoles are dedicated hardware for gaming."

I used to agree with that point entirely. But nowadays Windows 7 and Windows 10 PCs boot up in 5 seconds.
My PC boots up faster than my Xbone does.
I'm in game faster than my WiiU, PS3, Xbone, ... basically any consoles that does not use cartridges.

"6. The threat of viruses are minimal."

Haven't had a virus in about 5 years, have only had a virus twice on my PC. And I've been a PC gamer since the 90s.

Just install a free anti virus like Avast and you're set.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Pc gaming is a waste of time.

I knew you are a closet console warrior.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@lavamelon said:

2) I'm the consumer, which means I am always right.

The ridiculousness of the entitlement society.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nepu7supastar7

@R4gn4r0k:

But ya don't need antivirus software for consoles. I like to keep things separate, browsing and gaming, and I've never had a problem with any console game's graphics unless it's a port on a last gen console like Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360.

The big problem here is that most pc gamers are too used to having a good rig that they forgot what it's like to game on a shitty one.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mark1974

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@lavamelon said:

Not really, and that's out of context of what he said. He can choose to buy or not buy anything he wants to. This product doesn't meet his "entitled" as you call it, standards. so he doesn't. I don't see a problem there.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@killered3 said:

My PC boots up much faster than my PS 4 did, that is with OS on ssd

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@lavamelon said:

Not really, and that's out of context of what he said. He can choose to buy or not buy anything he wants to. This product doesn't meet his "entitled" as you call it, standards. so he doesn't. I don't see a problem there.

No its not. If someone was on here demanding that UC4 ran on their PS2 and Sony should go bankrupt because of it they'd get laughed out of the forum.

So should people who say things like "I don't like to sit at a desk" and then say "I don't want it in my entertainment system" to try and cover their DC bases and then ignore the other options, especially when combined with attacking other people's supposed insecurities to try and hide their own.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

To be honest I just prefer consoles.2) I'm kinda lazy, I do tech work for a living the last thing I feel like going is more tech work just to play a freaking game. And 3) cost, I know you can build a decent gaming PC around 700 dollars but if I'm going to customize why to mid level specs when you can go all out and have the PC be top notch for years. So yeah there is the reason I don't game heavy on the PC plus my current laptop isn't really that bad.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mark1974
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@mark1974 said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@lavamelon said:

No its not. If someone was on here demanding that UC4 ran on their PS2 and Sony should go bankrupt because of it they'd get laughed out of the forum.

So should people who say things like "I don't like to sit at a desk" and then say "I don't want it in my entertainment system" to try and cover their DC bases and then ignore the other options, especially when combined with attacking other people's supposed insecurities to try and hide their own.

I suppose demanding Uncharted 4 to work on a PS2 is indeed ridiculous. I'm not aware of anyone making a comparable argument, I think the other guy was more worried about compatibility and not raw power issues.

I said "I don't like to sit at a desk" and "I don't want it in my entertainment system" because those statements are true and the answer to the question the op asked.

I don't know what "DC bases" means?

I'm unaware of any other options that would appeal to me, which ones did i ignore?

I can only assume that because PC fanboys go into the infomercial mode with the hard sale that they must be insecure about their purchase and choices. I'm not a psychologist though, just a common poster in good standing here on Gamespot.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm playing Witcher 3 again after troubleshooting my new 1070, and am encountering far more technical hiccups than I'd like. On ultra, game looks great but often stutters and suffers screen tearing. As much as I prefer PC gaming, it inevitably always, ALWAYS gives me a headache in some way. I have to spend hours tweaking so many things to get it working not even perfectly, but passably.

I've a question about screen tearing if someone could help. As I understand it, this issue stems from rendered frames outputed and the display's refresh rate? I'm playing on my TV with my monitor powered off (which is cloned with it). I have the framerate set to unlimited, v-sync off in-game (enabled through Nvidia panel only). After much experimentation this is the best I can get it to perform, but screen tearing remains intermittent more often than I'd like and is distracting.

I guess my question is: does this problem happen due to incongruence between the two displays, or is it solely an incompatibility from card output to display?

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Reading through this you can see console peasants have no real arguments. Talking to them is like beating a dead horse!

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Because I don't want to sell my kidney and TV's make the games more cinematic.