Why didn't Sony make the PlayStation Classic better?

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Like most people, I'm disappointed by the 20 games on the PlayStation Classic. Not only is 20 not enough (PS1 had over a thousand games), but leaving out classics like Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, and many other fan-favorites is baffling.

I was surprised to see things like Destruction Derby, Intelligent Qube, etc. These simply aren't the best PS1 games.

And the absence of DualShock controls makes it worse. I read it makes many of these games hard to play, like Rainbow Six.

At the end of the day... the collection is mediocre, and lacking too many important titles. The main menu is bare, no retro music, no graphic filters, no extras, etc. Just a very bare main menu. What do you think Sony was thinking? What were they going for?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Because it was just a cash grab.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Licensing cost and Ps1 games is readily available on psp, psv, ps3 and some extent ps4. PS classic unfortunately has a pretty bad list.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Honestly feels like they forgot they were supposed to be releasing it (somehow), and then frantically put something together the night before. I used to do the same thing with my homework lol. ?

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

For me it looks like they outsourced the complete thing including planning and design to a chinese company where non of the employees ever played a PS1 and they just had to look for it on Google to see what they were supposed to do.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Sony commits bare minimum or less support for anything that isn't their main line product.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

The thing isn't garbage, exactly, but dude...that list. It's like they consciously omitted the best PS1 games...

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

You nailed it on the first post /thread

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@reduc_ab_ said:

The thing isn't garbage, exactly, but dude...that list. It's like they consciously omitted the best PS1 games...

It's an open source emulator. They have the native hardware in house. They could have performed miracles with it but instead, they used the emulator. Also, I agree about the games. The Japanese one was better though. No Tekken 3 on it though.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Playstation 1 had a bunch of mediocre games that’s why. Looking back I’m surprised it outsold the N64 by so much despite being by far inferior. This is a great example of quantity>quality when talking about their games. Most PS1 games are terrible.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Complacency

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sakaiXx

@Juub1990: for a time before FF13 happened, people argue that FF7 was the greatest game ever. Used to dominate the voters poll of greatest game ever. Eh well pre 7th gen, its still fresh in memory then.

If only square preserved FFVII legacy and not teased us the remakes for over 15+ years, it would probably be more fondly remembered.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990

@sakaixx: No they say OOT is greatest game ever. It’s the highest rated game of all time and has the most first place votes in major gaming outlets.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts
@i_p_daily said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

You nailed it on the first post /thread

Indeed. They obviously didn't care more about it. Just lazily trying to get a bit of that nostalgia money Nintendo has been getting lately.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Juub1990: Generally, it was usually OOT at #1 and FFVII at #2.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@qx0d said:

Like most people, I'm disappointed by the 20 games on the PlayStation Classic. Not only is 20 not enough (PS1 had over a thousand games), but leaving out classics like Tomb Raider, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, and many other fan-favorites is baffling.

I was surprised to see things like Destruction Derby, Intelligent Qube, etc. These simply aren't the best PS1 games.

And the absence of DualShock controls makes it worse. I read it makes many of these games hard to play, like Rainbow Six.

At the end of the day... the collection is mediocre, and lacking too many important titles. The main menu is bare, no retro music, no graphic filters, no extras, etc. Just a very bare main menu. What do you think Sony was thinking? What were they going for?

You know that if you make a poll on which game should be in there would probably be more than 200 or 300 games.? As opinions differ,for example you complain about destructions derby,that was one of my favorite games on PS.

Lets analyse the list as is not even close to be as bad as you think.

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr. Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director's Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

1-BAT the first TRUE 3D fighting game were you had 360 rotation,no nor VF,DOA or Tekken were true 3D before this game,sure the gameplay wasn't up there with Tekken or VF and this game predates DOA,but was quite good,in fact i was into fighting games back in the mid 90's hard on and it took me just 20 minutes on a demo to drop the demo and go running into the mall and bought it.

It was quite a show seeing a projectiles been thrown at you and you side stepping it and see the projectile come directly toward your on the TV.

2-CB2 wasn't my cup of tea but it was fairly popular,and by no means a bad game.

3-As i already told you one of my favorite games,would pick it over Spyro any day.

4-FF7? Do i even have to go into this one?

5-GTA was a novelty back then but the over the top angle was bad and the controls were terrible.

6-Ugh i agree with you on this one.

7-Jumping Flash was basically the mario 64 of the PS it was a 3d game full or colors and loved by many.

8-MGS again do i even have to say anything an instant classic.

9-Didn't like mister driller,and i think a better selection could have been pick here,alto many did like it.

10-Odd world come one man this was a huge game when it came out,i still have the magazines talking about it and was high rated.

11-Rayman another popular platformer,alto i would have closen Klonoa over this one.

12-RE man the legend that started it all,and you get the DC version.

13-Persona?

14-RRT4 one of the best racing games on PS,alto it is clear that licensing kep GT from been included.

15-I owned puzzle fighter was great,alto i would have pick MK trilogy other this.

16-Syphon Filter was incredible and great.

17-Tekken 3 best fighting game hands down of that generation,you will not find a better replace on PS for this game period.

18-R6 should not be here,hell i would chose medal of honor over it,and yes this is a game post analogue era,don't know why it would be included.

19-Twisted metal is an instant classic.

20-Wild arms was actually quite good alto short RPG,it was over shadow by FF and other RPG.

If it was by me i would change some there but then again they will not line with what you would have probably line there.

For example Castlevania should had been there,Breath of Fire as well,FF tactics,Vagrant Story,Tony Hawk,Tomb Raider as well,Tenchu and several others.

But this is a cheap product so licensing is a BIG issue,and so are earning as sony will not do this just to make you and me happy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

- too lazy

- too cheap

- rushed

Take your pick or it could be all three

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Cash-grab and outsource most likely.

@Jag85 said:

@Juub1990: Generally, it was usually OOT at #1 and FFVII at #2.

It should be noted back then, everyone assume the next FF game would come to N64 and when FF7 launch on PS1, that was the advantage PS1 had over N64 and not to mention, CD Rom over the expensive cartridges is what really hurt N64 despite being an all better machine. Developers at the time wanted a better inexpensive to develop games, they went with Sony.

But yeah, both OoT & FF7 went neck & neck at each other.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sakaiXx

@Juub1990 said:

@sakaixx: No they say OOT is greatest game ever. It’s the highest rated game of all time and has the most first place votes in major gaming outlets.

Well then it was based on polls and unsurprisingly ffvii used to top the polls then. I mean sephiroth used to win out best villains ever in every poll. Nowadays people gets offended if anyone put sepiroth over kefka. Its just how it was, the game is still fresh in people's mind and FF is one of the most successful and highly rated franchise with more sales than zelda, so there was a lot of fans. Lol down the nostalgia lane.

The votes was always about the most popular *at the time anyways.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Maybe because they know that classic consoles like these are throw-aways.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@qx0d said:

Nintendo set the example and they did not follow it. Get a PlayStation TV its way better.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

‘I was surprised to see things like Destruction Derby, Intelligent Qube, etc. These simply aren't the best PS1 games.’

Speak for yourself. Destruction Derby was one of my favorite PS1 games. But not enough for me to get a mini. I think I have a disc somewhere I could simply play on my ps3 if I ever hook up that thing again.

But I don’t support PlayStations so their history isn’t really known to me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

You were expecting actual effort on a quick cash-grab?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

You were expecting actual effort on a quick cash-grab?

Well Sony just saved me a hundred bucks so I guess I should be thankful. But really, I was never interested in PS1 Classic since my PSP can do it so much better playing PS1 games. But reading about the 50hz fiasco just made it that much more pathetic. A shitty project and I hope is bombs so Sony can learn from this terrible decisions they made.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Being number one makes you lazy and overconfident.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide

@mandzilla said:

Honestly feels like they forgot they were supposed to be releasing it (somehow), and then frantically put something together the night before. I used to do the same thing with my homework lol. ?

lol

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@qx0d said:

I would have gotten it for Tomb Raider and Silent Hill alone. What a waste.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990

@sakaixx: OOT as soon as it came out beat FF XVII far more often than the contrary. It may have been considered top dawg in 1997 but the moment OOT came out it lost the crown.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sakaiXx

@Juub1990: nope. There was a reason why ffvii sold more and people still makes a case for the game today. Both are great games, and greatest game is all opinions anyway.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990

@sakaixx: Yes. You don’t have a case. OOT has remained the highest scoring game for two decades.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sakaiXx

@Juub1990: lol this guy. I say chrono trigger is a better game than oot. Oh well

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Juub1990

@sakaixx: Which is fine but not what we’re arguing. OOT has been widely considered the greatest game of all time since it came out. Far more frequently than FF XVII. It has topped more major lists and has a higher aggregated score.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Not gonna really talk about the 20 games in there....that's enough said on those.

But that emulation hardware and UI....I could've probably found a better emulator and installed a better UI than what Sony offered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

The list of games is the least of this devices problems. The latest DF video on it highlights just how bad the emulation is on all of the games.

It’s actually damaging to the legacy of these games as people with think that they actually look as bad as they do on this shit device.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

is this a sign of how they will treat the vita 2?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

First post got it right.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Hubris

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Because they're working on getting BC to work on the PS5.

But actually, it's probably because it's a cash grab. Although I hope the success, or failure, leads them to putting together a better classic down the road.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Why didn't Sony make the PlayStation Classic Better?

Because Sony doesn't really know what they're doing in the video game market. They just got lucky with the PS4.