Why did it become the cool thing to do to bash Skyrim on forums?

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robotapple
Member since 2012 • 780 Posts

Almost everyone was in awe of this game when it releaesed, it won more goty's than any game in recent memory, people sunk over 100 hours in it... is it angry PS3 fans because they got the broken version?

Yes it is buggy and the ai glitches out sometimes, but given the size and scope of the game it's amazing...

look at a game like TLOU which is arguably even buggier, with horrendous AI, only it's LINEAR and tiny in comparison to Skyrims sprawling vistas with virtually NO npcs, while skyrim has the most advanced and abundant use of npcs in gaming history.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
I didn't play it, but I'm not fond of most Bethesda games beyond Morrowind.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

It's a rather flawed game, and lots of valid criticisms can be made. That said, I still enjoyed it, but there are many glaring design issues on display, and most can be summed up by describing the game as "the ocean the depth of a puddle."

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Why do I get the feeling you want to bash TLOU?

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

Because it's shit.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
look at a game like TLOU which is arguably even buggierrobotapple
:lol:, no
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Because it's shit.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rocker6

look at a game like TLOU which is arguably even buggier, with horrendous AI, only it's LINEAR and tiny in comparison to Skyrims sprawling vistas.

robotapple

Just because Skyrim is big, doesn't mean it's automatically better than some linear, more focused game with smaller scope.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
People love to hate on popular things. But then again some things that are popular are pretty shitty, and one could make a strong argument for Skyrim. When I game first releases, everyone is so excited to play it and explore the game's world that a lot of the flaws to unnoticed. This was the case with me for BioShock Infinite. I loved the story, characters, art design, atmosphere, etc, and those things were enough to distract me from the dull gameplay during my first playthrough. Once I replayed it, a lot of flaws became very apparent and I couldn't even finish it a second time. Same kind of thing applies to games like Skyrim
robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robotapple

Why do I get the feeling you want to bash TLOU?Michael0134567
just using it as point of reference because it has horrendous ai but is very small in comparison.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
I really enjoyed it. Beat it twice on PC and 360. I finished everything and every faction. Will probably play again in the future.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It's a rather flawed game, and lots of valid criticisms can be made. That said, I still enjoyed it, but there are many glaring design issues on display, and most can be summed up by describing the game as "the ocean the depth of a puddle."

Rocker6
Every game is flawed though. Why does a game like TLOU or Journey get a pass on all their flaws but people shit on skyrim all the time?
robotapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robotapple

People love to hate on popular things. But then again some things that are popular are pretty shitty, and one could make a strong argument for Skyrim. When I game first releases, everyone is so excited to play it and explore the game's world that a lot of the flaws to unnoticed. This was the case with me for BioShock Infinite. I loved the story, characters, art design, atmosphere, etc, and those things were enough to distract me from the dull gameplay during my first playthrough. Once I replayed it, a lot of flaws became very apparent and I couldn't even finish it a second time. Same kind of thing applies to games like SkyrimBPoole96
Skyrim is 10 times the game Bioshock infinite is...

Bioshock is a glorified cooridor shooter

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

because people have differing opinions

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
TC was oddly missing for during the X1 DRM debacle. I expect him to disappear into the shadows when PS4 spanks X1 at launch.
Raziel831991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Raziel831991
Member since 2013 • 631 Posts

Its enjoyable but really overrated by most reviewers.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because the Honeymoon period wore off and people realised just how shit it really was

Terrible mission design, awful AWFUL characters NPCs dialogue, Shitty old animations, clunky combat, boring enemies, really poor dungeons that were all the same

The only thing Skyrim did right was the environments and world itself. Everything inside of that world though is pretty bad

GONtheSKYLORD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GONtheSKYLORD
Member since 2008 • 3042 Posts

Almost everyone was in awe of this game when it releaesed, it won more goty's than any game in recent memory, people sunk over 100 hours in it... is it angry PS3 fans because they got the broken version?

Yes it is buggy and the ai glitches out sometimes, but given the size and scope of the game it's amazing...

look at a game like TLOU which is arguably even buggier, with horrendous AI, only it's LINEAR and tiny in comparison to Skyrims sprawling vistas.

robotapple
I still play the game occasionally only because of mods. The game itself without mods just isnt' that great, while morrowind, oblivion, fallout, etc are all still great without mods.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]People love to hate on popular things. But then again some things that are popular are pretty shitty, and one could make a strong argument for Skyrim. When I game first releases, everyone is so excited to play it and explore the game's world that a lot of the flaws to unnoticed. This was the case with me for BioShock Infinite. I loved the story, characters, art design, atmosphere, etc, and those things were enough to distract me from the dull gameplay during my first playthrough. Once I replayed it, a lot of flaws became very apparent and I couldn't even finish it a second time. Same kind of thing applies to games like Skyrimrobotapple

Sweet Jesus no

Infinite isn't perfect but at least it tries certain things. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

Because the Honeymoon period wore off and people realised just how shit it really was

Terrible mission design, awful AWFUL characters NPCs dialogue, Shitty old animations, clunky combat, boring enemies, really poor dungeons that were all the same

The only thing Skyrim did right was the environments and world itself. Everything inside of that world though is pretty bad

seanmcloughlin

they really need to revamp the combat in elder scrolls

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]People love to hate on popular things. But then again some things that are popular are pretty shitty, and one could make a strong argument for Skyrim. When I game first releases, everyone is so excited to play it and explore the game's world that a lot of the flaws to unnoticed. This was the case with me for BioShock Infinite. I loved the story, characters, art design, atmosphere, etc, and those things were enough to distract me from the dull gameplay during my first playthrough. Once I replayed it, a lot of flaws became very apparent and I couldn't even finish it a second time. Same kind of thing applies to games like Skyrimrobotapple

Okay? Skyrim is a glorified hiking simulator.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68

seanmcloughlin
I strongly disagree. I had fun the whole way through it and when I played the PC version with just a couple mods, its looked awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lostrib

They need to revamp the whole model and animation system badly. If they can make more dynamic movements with a lot of articulation points on models and a lot more fluid looking then the combat will fall into place naturally after that.

They're using the same crap animations they have been for years and Bethesda's mottot might as well be "Get the most out of as little as possible". They rival Activision for not revamping their shit. 

Also they need new Voice Actors. I'm sick of hearing generic guy #7 all over the place

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

Fact: TLOU > Bethesda 

Anything that Bethesda comes out with is horrible! I bought oblivion because of the hype, it was garbage with shitty animation and was just basically an offline mmorpg. 

I bought Fallout because of the hype and hoping it would play different from oblivion, it was garbage with shitty animation and basically is oblivion with guns. I gave bethesda another chance and bought skyrim for PC. It was oblivion with dragons with shitty last generation animation, all bethesda games requires mods to make it a decent game. I have invest over 500 hours into skyrim because the mods made it a playable game

Bethesda games are overhype and overrated.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Also they need new Voice Actors. I'm sick of hearing generic guy #7 all over the placeseanmcloughlin
Skyrim features a cast of more than 70 voice actors, including many notable actors. Really?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BPoole96

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lostrib

I think that being able to alternate between first and third person perspectives restricts the gameplay a lot side the combat has to be the same in each perspective and can't dedicate to fleshing out one of them. Games like Dark Messiah have great first person Melee combat and games like Dark Souls have great third person Melee combat. You couldn't really make a both of those systems work in both perspectives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Heil68

I strongly disagree. I had fun the whole way through it and when I played the PC version with just a couple mods, its looked awesome.

Yeah "LOOKED" awesome. I even said it looked nice environment wise. But the gameplay is completely crap. It does the job but it has 0 depth and has fvck all variety to it.I mean at face value it looks diverse but so many weapons and spells all look and feel the same. 

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

mems_1224

Every game is flawed though. Why does a game like TLOU or Journey get a pass on all their flaws but people shit on skyrim all the time?

Don't ask me, never played TLoU or Journey. I only comment, criticize and praise the games I played.

Also, I could shit on Skyrim all day long, but as I said, I still love it, played it to the end, explored the entire map, completed every major side quest, DLC included. Took me some 150 hours. Guess one could say I have some really odd feelings towards Bethesda RPGs! :P

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Yea, BI ended up being a huge turd to me. What a massive let down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]Also they need new Voice Actors. I'm sick of hearing generic guy #7 all over the placeHeil68
Skyrim features a cast of more than 70 voice actors, including many notable actors. Really?

Yeah and I was excited for that too before playing it, until you get in and every single guard has the same voice or they all sound the bloody same anyway. 

Even notable characters who you spend a lot of time with don't have unique voices. I know it's hard for a game that size but Skyrim is shameless for repeating phrases and voices everywhere. They still sound the same as they did in Oblivion

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Yeah "LOOKED" awesome. I even said it looked nice environment wise. But the gameplay is completely crap. It does the job but it has 0 depth and has fvck all variety to it.I mean at face value it looks diverse but so many weapons and spells all look and feel the same. 

As a Thief it was great,i felt powerful and the animations felt pretty good, even on dagger assassinations.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

seanmcloughlin

without graphics mods, especially the HD textures and some better lighting, it looks pretty "eh"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Don't ask me, never played TLoU or Journey. I only comment, criticize and praise the games I played.

Also, I could shit on Skyrim all day long, but as I said, I still love it, played it to the end, explored the entire map, completed every major side quest, DLC included. Took me some 150 hours. Guess one could say I have some really odd feelings towards Bethesda RPGs! :P

They're RPG playgrounds, but they can be incredibly broken at times

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] I strongly disagree. I had fun the whole way through it and when I played the PC version with just a couple mods, its looked awesome. Heil68

As a Thief it was great,i felt powerful and the animations felt pretty good, even on dagger assassinations.

Well you're incredibly easy to please then

Skyrim's biggest fault is letting you see and do everything in one single playtrhough. You can become the head of all the guilds or factions in the land and no one rises up against you for betraying the other. It killed the replay value in the game for me

It also has a really poor skill tree and upgrade system that defies actual role playing. Why carve my own path when I can just play all the paths

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rocker6

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

They need to revamp the whole model and animation system badly. If they can make more dynamic movements with a lot of articulation points on models and a lot more fluid looking then the combat will fall into place naturally after that.

They're using the same crap animations they have been for years and Bethesda's mottot might as well be "Get the most out of as little as possible". They rival Activision for not revamping their shit. 

Also they need new Voice Actors. I'm sick of hearing generic guy #7 all over the place

This... also, I'd really love if they limited the scope of the game, have a smaller game world with less dungeons and places, but have most of them unique and varied, wih some small side stories, special pieces of loot that are actually useful, etc.

Bethesda RPGs like Skyrim and Oblivion are big for the sake of being big, while I'd much prefer if the design revolved over quality, instead of quantity.

Oh, and they should also finally make the jump animations look good, they're consistently atrocious! :P

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

I don't like skyrim because its a large world with the depth of a pond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59b71619573a1

without graphics mods, especially the HD textures and some better lighting, it looks pretty "eh"

lostrib

For sheer fidelity yeah, but the whole scope and scale of things was pretty impressive visually. 

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68

seanmcloughlin

Skyrim's biggest fault is letting you see and do everything in one single playtrhough. You can become the head of all the guilds or factions in the land and no one rises up against you for betraying the other. It killed the replay value in the game for me

It also has a really poor skill tree and upgrade system that defies actual role playing. Why carve my own path when I can just play all the paths

I'm not easy to please laddy ;)
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Bethesda games are always the same. FO3 is just the same as the Elder Scrolls series, the difference is that there are guns. They even used the same assets and voice actors.
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
Bethesda needs to learn how to populate its f*cking world. What's the point of having a huge ass map if their isnt anything in half of it? They need to take notes from R*.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

Also, I don't need Dragons spawning every time I walk five feet out of a city.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

This... also, I'd really love if they limited the scope of the game, have a smaller game world with less dungeons and places, but have most of them unique and varied, wih some small side stories, special pieces of loot that are actually useful, etc.

Bethesda RPGs like Skyrim and Oblivion are big for the sake of being big, while I'd much prefer if the design revolved over quality, instead of quantity.

Oh, and they should also finally make the jump animations look good, they're consistently atrocious! :P

Rocker6

Yep, I made a video talking about how Skyrim is big for the sake of being big and the whole mission and fast travel system they implemented completely trivialises the open world aspect of it

It's impressive to see a world that big but when it's just there for the sake of it and the game doesn't utilise it properly then it's pretty bad. It's why I am worrying a bit about TW3 going full open world with a similar fast travel mechanic

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clyde46
[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]Bethesda needs to learn how to populate its f*cking world. What's the point of having a huge ass map if their isnt anything in half of it? They need to take notes from R*.

The size of an ocean, the depth of a puddle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] As a Thief it was great,i felt powerful and the animations felt pretty good, even on dagger assassinations.Heil68

You think Uncharted 3 is an amazing game. 

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

seanmcloughlin

You think Uncharted 3 is an amazing game. 

Burn!
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

seanmcloughlin

Exactly, and welcome to the elder scrolls MMO! where the classes are..

MAGE-HUNTER-WARRIOR!

WARRIOR-PRIEST-MAGE!

PRIEST-MAGE-WIZARD!

HUNTER-WARRIOR-ROGUE-THIEF-MAGE-WIZARD-PRIEST!

On a serious note, I like the ambition to create a huge world in which you can do whatever you want, but they never really make you feel like your part of the world. Your actions have little consequence, you can easily get out of any tight spot, you can be everything and anything all at the same time.  

GONtheSKYLORD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GONtheSKYLORD
Member since 2008 • 3042 Posts
I love that their games are so modable(it is a word, so shut up) because the fans made skyrim good. It is mediocre without mods and I found myself rushing through the story just to finish the game before all the good mods were released.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BPoole96
[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]Bethesda needs to learn how to populate its f*cking world. What's the point of having a huge ass map if their isnt anything in half of it? They need to take notes from R*.

Every dev needs to take notes from Rockstar though
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rocker6

seanmcloughlin

Good point... they should've kept the old Morrowind system, where you had skill requirments to join and progress the faction storylines, so a mage character couldn't progress in the Fighter's Guild, or vice versa.

Also, it was neat how some faction storyline could pit you against the other one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] As a Thief it was great,i felt powerful and the animations felt pretty good, even on dagger assassinations.way2funny

Exactly, and welcome to the elder scrolls MMO! where the classes are..

MAGE-HUNTER-WARRIOR!

WARRIOR-PRIEST-MAGE!

PRIEST-MAGE-WIZARD!

HUNTER-WARRIOR-ROGUE-THIEF-MAGE-WIZARD-PRIEST!

On a serious note, I like the ambition to create a huge world in which you can do whatever you want, but they never really make you feel like your part of the world. Your actions have little consequence, you can easily get out of any tight spot, you can be everything and anything all at the same time.  

That game is gonna be so crap but people will play it for name sake alone

Yeah the world wouldn't be so bad if things didn't just happen when my character shows up and it felt like everyone was sitting around waiting for me to come by. 

Also it's an RPG, let me fvcking role play. If I choose a sorcerer path or magic, don't let me be able to fully upgrade two handed battle axes at the same time just by swinging them at random enemies. Make me build a character that's unique