Why cant i download games and play games at the same time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rich-sac
Member since 2011 • 420 Posts

im not even talking about playing online multiplayer, im talking about playing the campain or skirmish mode. obviously it doesnt need internet connection to play campaign, so why cant i do both at same time?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

um which system are you talking about?
both the ps3 and 360 allow you to play campaign games alone offline and download stuff in the background...

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

both the ps3 and 360 allow you to play campaign games alone offline and download stuff in the background...

WilliamRLBaker

wait , you sure about ps3? i havnt tried in a LONG time but i know that ages ago if i played a game offline and i was downloading something in the background it would just get paused till i left the game

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

This. Just the other day I was playing Shadow of the Colussus while downloading Outland so...

rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rich-sac

WilliamRLBaker

talking bout ps3. i can play killzone 3 botzone during the psn hack so obviously internet plays no role at all. but as soon as i play the campaign or bots, download pauses. ive tested it out with a few other games also, forgot which though.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

campzor

wait , you sure about ps3? i havnt tried in a LONG time but i know that ages ago if i played a game offline and i was downloading something in the background it would just get paused till i left the game

When I started to play it was 23% and when I stopped the download was at 82%. I do remember it pausing automatically but that happened so yeah.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WilliamRLBaker

hmmm I do believe both systems offer background download during single player play now if the single player component has online connection abilities then this will pause the download.
but I have played games offline games and it did not put them into pending status so maybe its just some games...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I can play SP retail games most the time and download stuff its just when I play XBLA games for some reason, even offline, most of them don't allow for background downloading, my guess is because it's utilizing online for leaderboard updates.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

um which system are you talking about? both the ps3 and 360 allow you to play campaign games alone offline and download stuff in the background...

This happened to me when I was watching video files or DVDs, but not with games or blu rays.
rich-sac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rich-sac

I can play SP retail games most the time and download stuff its just when I play XBLA games for some reason, even offline, most of them don't allow for background downloading, my guess is because it's utilizing online for leaderboard updates.lamprey263

yea that can be, maybe trophies achievments get sent to online stats

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#11 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

WilliamRLBaker

You sure Baker? So far the only system that allows me to do that is the PC, although I think Steam uses those rules too, can't play a game on Steam and Download something from Steam.

Rarely do I actually get a Game that allows me to play and download, but recently it's do one or the other.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

LegatoSkyheart

You sure Baker? So far the only system that allows me to do that is the PC, although I think Steam uses those rules too, can't play a game on Steam and Download something from Steam.

Rarely do I actually get a Game that allows me to play and download, but recently it's do one or the other.

Yeah, Baker is right. PS3 does allow you to background dl while playing games. I've done it many times. The official online manual says background DL'ing will be paused when playing a BR or DVD, when starting PS2 format software (on models with PS2 playback), when starting F@H, when performing a System Update, adjusting settings, using a voice/video chat, and when using network features of some online games. Basically, if the game you are playing is trying to talk to the network, background DL gets cut off. Obviously this means when playing online multiplayer, but depending on how the devs set their netcode, the game may demand control of the connection (assuming you are signed in) even when not playing online, for things like leaderboards or whatever.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

LegatoSkyheart

Well I'm 100% sure on the 360 if you have a game downloading and multiple items pending downloading the 360 will continue to download them if you play single player games the 360 will pop up a notification specifically for when it stops downloads if you get on online portions of games I can confirm background downloading for the 360 the ps3 I'm not 100% sure but I do believe its possible becuase I've done it before but its game dependent I believe some games will not allow this even on single player others will.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

On PS3:

-If a game is 100% offline single player (with no leaderboards or anything), downloads should not be interrupted - don't know if it's 100% of the time but I've never noticed a purely single player game pausing my downloads.
-If a game is campaign/multiplayer, then it ALWAYS pauses downloads with multiplayer, but depends on the game for single player (seems to be up to developers and how they choose to implement the online features? It does seem like too many get paused for no reason).
-Obviously 100% online games will also pause your downloads.

What annoys me is when a game has a trivial online feature, like a leader-board and nothing else, yet they still make it necessary to pause all your downloads.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LegatoSkyheart

Yeah, Baker is right. PS3 does allow you to background dl while playing games. I've done it many times. The official online manual says background DL'ing will be paused when playing a BR or DVD, when starting PS2 format software (on models with PS2 playback), when starting F@H, when performing a System Update, adjusting settings, using a voice/video chat, and when using network features of some online games. Basically, if the game you are playing is trying to talk to the network, background DL gets cut off. Obviously this means when playing online multiplayer, but depending on how the devs set their netcode, the game may demand control of the connection (assuming you are signed in) even when not playing online, for things like leaderboards or whatever.

ianuilliam

So in Otherwords, If there is ANY ONLINE FEATURES IN A GAME then the Download will pause.

That doesn't sound like a whole lot of games these days.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

LegatoSkyheart

So in Otherwords, If there is ANY ONLINE FEATURES IN A GAME then the Download will pause.

I don't believe the 360 stops its downloads for leaderboard and other such features games like from dust, toy soldiers cold war are constantly updating their leaderboards when I'm playing but the downloads do not stop for me. the ps3? im unsure but I do know background downloads during single player are possible.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

WilliamRLBaker

I don't believe the 360 stops its downloads for leaderboard and other such features games like from dust, toy soldiers cold war are constantly updating their leaderboards when I'm playing but the downloads do not stop for me. the ps3? im unsure but I do know background downloads during single player are possible.

Well it's been awhile, but the last time I tried downloading something and playing a game at the same time on the 360 I had to exit the game out just for the download to continue, but it's been awhile since I've tried it.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

LegatoSkyheart

No. Not necesarily. It depends on the devs. Sony left it to the devs discretion when and how much of the network connection pipeline they get. Some games that have online components take over the connection if you are signed in as soon as the game launches, some do it only when you are actually using the online features. I've played offline components of plenty of games that had online components while downloading. And on the other end, I remember the Ninja Gaiden Sigma single player only DEMO would pause downloads, because it had online leaderboards (in the demo. WTF was that all about?) So...

If you are playing online, it WILL pause downloads.

If you are playing offline in a game with online components, it MAY or MAY NOT pause the downloads.

If you are playing a game with no online features at all, it will NOT pause the downloads.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IndianaPwns39

On PS3:

-If a game is 100% offline single player (with no leaderboards or anything), downloads should not be interrupted - don't know if it's 100% of the time but I've never noticed a purely single player game pausing my downloads.
-If a game is campaign/multiplayer, then it ALWAYS pauses downloads with multiplayer, but depends on the game for single player (seems to be up to developers and how they choose to implement the online features? It does seem like too many get paused for no reason).
-Obviously 100% online games will also pause your downloads.

What annoys me is when a game has a trivial online feature, like a leader-board and nothing else, yet they still make it necessary to pause all your downloads.

2Chalupas

Oh that makes sense why my download didn't pause. Most of the time I'm playing something with an online component. Sweet, I learned something today.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

campzor

Yeah this, it also happens with some 360 games if the single player has online leaderboard integration etc.