Why aren't people talking about X-Series Disc Shaped D-Pad?

• 53 results
ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8011 Posts

I just don't get it we had the disc shaped d-pad on the 360 it was downright unuseable

We're a system war forum why the hell isn't anyone bringing this up?

If I'm giving the option to use a d-pad in a fighter or a platformer or what have you I use it every time I ignore the thumb sticks and go straight to the d-pad especially for retro games. This is not small this is huge.

The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare is back
The nightmare is back

The nightmare on a 150 dollar controller

Can we please call this out and get a Nintendo or.a playstation D-Pad on there how much would It cost to get that technology on a xbox maybe they pay some royalties to Nintendo or sony at this point I don't give a crap it needs to be done we can't have disc shaped d-pads anymore in 2020 they don't work then they didn't work now stop it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 35673 Posts

SNES, GBA, PSP and DS lite all nailed the D-pad, why are companies still having issues?

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProtossRushX

@R4gn4r0k said:

SNES, GBA, PSP and DS lite all nailed the D-pad, why are companies still having issues?

Exactly dude, exactly just pay sony or ninty some cash to use there d-pad patents its simple.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k

@ProtossRushX: even the switch pro controller has a great dpad. But it's not in the right spot to play 2d games.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProtossRushX

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ProtossRushX: even the switch pro controller has a great dpad. But it's not in the right spot to play 2d games.

Yeah thats why I use the dual shock 4 when you put the d-pad in weird location bottom left under the analog stick it doesn't feel right. Sony is the only one nailing the d-pad, the switch lite ain't too bad tho.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44618 Posts

What's there to talk about? Everyone knows Xbox controller D-Pad sucks for many generations and this is no surprise for XSX controller.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32903 Posts

That is a concern of mine but I’m hoping that it won’t be an issue. Just waiting for some hands on feedback of it myself.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@ProtossRushX: D-pad users rise up and unite!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 37739 Posts

Works fine for 99% of games where it serves as some kind of inventory/skill select shortcut. And for fighters, the current one is a good deal better than the Xbox 360 D-pad, and adequate enough I haven't felt any need yet to invest in any alternative.

If I were more invested in fighters though I imagine I'd pick up game pads specifically designed for them, or an arcade fighter stick setup.

About only consistent issue I have had for fighters recent years is control related, but mostly with Injustice and Mortal Kombat games in the game settings defaulting to button check, i.e. the input doesn't execute until button releases, I always have to make sure I turn that off, it's such a burden, not sure why that is a default setting. I mostly struggle to execute combo timing with attack buttons, not directional input related, I have considered an arcade fighting stick for that reason since I can use all my fingers to reduce delay instead of just my thumb since that doesn't appear to be fast enough on its own at times. But, I haven't felt compelled to yet. I do just fine.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 2618 Posts

@ProtossRushX: More fake rage from the fake boy! Keep it up I’m starting to find it amusing

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ProtossRushX

@lamprey263: I'm a primary D-Pad user for almost every game (Have been since the NES/SNES)

The location of D-Pad on here very questionable it looks very awkward and hard to reach and looks like an after thought.

Will Microsoft allow me to use a Dual Shock 4 or a DualSense Controller on the xbox x-series? They say there for everybody and all types of gamers but reality is they don't seem to be.

They could let use our sony controller on the x-series steam let people do that why can't microsoft?

I don't want to buy a fight stick I use the d-pad have used them always i like to play indies and retro games with the d-pad i can't use a fight stick imo.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ProtossRushX

@Duckyindiana said:

@ProtossRushX: More fake rage from the fake boy! Keep it up I’m starting to find it amusing

Fake rage what are you talking about nobody the 360 d-pad...Dude wake up jesus christ.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lamprey263

@ProtossRushX: I only would consider a fighting stick to improve attack button timing, I haven't had issues with directional input. But if you really like one controller over another for certain things, they do have controller converter third party alternatives. If you really wanted to play with an Xbox controller on PlayStation or vice versa, not hard to do.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 1744 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

I just don't get it we had the disc shaped d-pad on the 360 it was downright unuseable

If I'm giving the option to use a d-pad in a fighter or a platformer or what have you I use it every time I ignore the thumb sticks and go straight to the d-pad especially for retro games. This is not small this is huge.

The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare is back
The nightmare is back

Can we please call this out and get a Nintendo or.a playstation D-Pad on there how much would It cost to get that technology on a xbox maybe they pay some royalties to Nintendo or sony at this point I don't give a crap it needs to be done we can't have disc shaped d-pads anymore in 2020 they don't work then they didn't work now stop it.

If you can not see the differences between the D Pad in image 1, 2 and 3 then I suggest you go to the eye doctor. I have #3 and it feels nothing like #1 when you use it. 2 looks like it has more of the concave design that 3 does than the convexx design of 1

Nice troll though.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProtossRushX

@lamprey263 said:

@ProtossRushX: I only would consider a fighting stick to improve attack button timing, I haven't had issues with directional input. But if you really like one controller over another for certain things, they do have controller converter third party alternatives. If you really wanted to play with an Xbox controller on PlayStation or vice versa, not hard to do.

How would I go about using a dual shock 4 on my xb1? With steam i just plug in m my ps4 controller and it recognizes it? I plugged it into the xb1 and it doesn't work.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#16 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 45124 Posts

Seems fine to me. The number of times I use the dpad in games is abysmally low so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I understand why OP is so upset, especially since he is getting the Series X day one and I am guessing only play games that use the dpad.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14476 Posts

I'm not saying this d-pad will be good, but the disk shape is arguably the best design for fighters and platformers. There's an obsessive following over d-pads like this:

Genesis
Genesis
Saturn
Saturn

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProtossRushX

@xantufrog said:

I'm not saying this d-pad will be good, but the disk shape is arguably the best design for fighters and platformers. There's an obsessive following over d-pads like this:

Genesis
Genesis
Saturn
Saturn

Oh damn thats pretty cool, I love old school sega controllers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#19 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 45124 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Genesis
Genesis
Saturn
Saturn
The OP has been rekt.
The OP has been rekt.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

Genesis
Genesis
Saturn
Saturn
The OP has been rekt.
The OP has been rekt.

and knowing is half the battle g.i. joe the real american hero lol.

i use my d-pad maybe once a year lol. using them as item select on both controllers works fine.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10572 Posts

I don't like it but to me the poorly designed LB/LT RB/RT is an even bigger problem that I can't believe went unchanged for the redesign.

In fact they doubled down and put texture on the part of LB/RB that accidentally gets pressed when you're just trying to push LT/RT just so it accidentally catches your trigger presses even more easily.

https://images.purexbox.com/a81107ec41d37/xbox-series-x-controller-triggers.original.jpg

At this point I would rather use a 3rd party controller. Hopefully they have wireless ones this gen.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lamprey263

@ProtossRushX: I dunno, probably same reason you can't plug an Xbox One controller into a PS4 and expect it to work. Of course these both work on PC. But Xbox One controller is pretty plug and play, I don't know why you think PS4 controller is so easy...

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-use-a-ps4-controller-on-pc/

...limited to Steam support, or jumping through more hoops for greater access. But ignoring that, I don't see why you are singling out MS for not making their consoles plug and play for PS4 controllers, same restrictions work the other way too.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2086 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I found the VITA great too. The Xbox One controller (1st edition) wasn't as good even though they're about the same size and have the same concave bed.

I hope the Series controller would be much better.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

Agreed in the xbox dpad but don’t start with the playstation dpad lol. They have always been terrible. Nintendo and 3rd party companies seem to be the only ones who can make a usable dpad.

sts106mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sts106mat
Member since 2005 • 25113 Posts

Elite controllers have optional cross dpad. I dont use it cause the circle one is fine

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#26 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4632 Posts

Opinions are like a-holes, Everybody has one.

This group of gamers are going to agree,.... This group of people won't?

Regardless of group/grade/type of gamer you are, corporations of these gaming consoles/PC/handheld/mobile... Etc.... Their will Always be positive and negative feedback, major and minor complaints. You can't please everyone.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3792 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Genesis
Genesis
Saturn
Saturn

I think this is as good as disc-shaped D-pads can get. If the Xbox Series X controller proves me wrong, then I might be willing to shell out the retail price for it, assuming Hori doesn't make a controller with macroable buttons.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ProtossRushX

@brimmul777 said:

Opinions are like a-holes, Everybody has one.

This group of gamers are going to agree,.... This group of people won't?

Regardless of group/grade/type of gamer you are, corporations of these gaming consoles/PC/handheld/mobile... Etc.... Their will Always be positive and negative feedback, major and minor complaints. You can't please everyone.

Yeah but who was asking for this to return I didn't hear anyone say yeah I liked the disc shaped d-pad on the xbox 360.

I haven't heard one person say this.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11048 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

@lamprey263: I'm a primary D-Pad user for almost every game (Have been since the NES/SNES)

The location of D-Pad on here very questionable it looks very awkward and hard to reach and looks like an after thought.

Will Microsoft allow me to use a Dual Shock 4 or a DualSense Controller on the xbox x-series? They say there for everybody and all types of gamers but reality is they don't seem to be.

They could let use our sony controller on the x-series steam let people do that why can't microsoft?

I don't want to buy a fight stick I use the d-pad have used them always i like to play indies and retro games with the d-pad i can't use a fight stick imo.

If you're a primary D pad user for almost every game then you must not be very good. The only thing the D pads are for are fighting games and inventory or secondary actions. As a primary source of movement and actions it's horrible. The D pad is the least used part of any controller I've ever used. You seem to be stuck in the 90s

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57404 Posts

I don't play fighters, so I rarely use the d-pad, unless it's for menu navigation. BTW, the Elite has an interchangeable d-pad, which doesn't offset the entire problem, but it is a lot better.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2386 Posts

I actually prefery xbox one controller over my ps4 controller. Feels much better to use and much more ergonomic for me. Ps4 one is too gimmicly with the center pad thing.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10136 Posts

People sound as if this isn't one of the best dpads on the market.

The most important part of a dpad is inside the controller not outside it. How it looks is irrelevant, how it performs is what matters.

This piece is what made the 360 controller suck.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 26798 Posts

Probably because no one was expecting the d-pad to not be shit.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6403 Posts

@glez13 said:

People sound as if this isn't one of the best dpads on the market.

The most important part of a dpad is inside the controller not outside it. How it looks is irrelevant, how it performs is what matters.

This piece is what made the 360 controller suck.

I used that logitech pad for years and ye the dpad is good, shape is great, its quite sturdy but the l1/l2 suck.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19834 Posts

Yeah, like Xantu posted, Saturn dpad is still the champ to this day.

@ProtossRushX said:

Not sure if you've actually tried one, that dpad is pretty great. Much better than the usual Xbox dpads. Can be swapped out for a cross too, but I found the faceted disc preferable.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 15732 Posts

There's been tons of praise for the d pad on the elite controller, I'd imagine that's why they transferred it over.

Why not USE it first before assuming it is bad??

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28475 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare D-Pad
The nightmare is back
The nightmare is back

you are bro, because you apparently don't game, bro, and have nothing better to do, bro, than troll internet forums, bro.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1929 Posts

Everyone knows Xbox dpad is trash already

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 10007 Posts

Xbox doesnt do Dpad right because of this asymmetrical layout which prevents the xbox dpad to be used for anything but inventory select.

Dualshock nailed the Dpad so perfectly for fighting games the designs havent changed much from the original PS1 designs. The nintendo pad works as well but I always felt its a bit small. Its not wrong to learn from your competition, as they say imitation is the best form of flattery.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6447 Posts

Xbox controllers are historically the best in the business. This thread is a bunch of fake news. Besides - who uses a dpad for much in gaming? To cycle through weapons, toggle menus, fine tune crosshairs? Who cares?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2086 Posts

Someone said it looks like a mosaic. Now that would be a cool skin.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 37272 Posts

Bestest most awesomeness D-pad ever made... Evah!! Thank you MS, for the gamerz... Jazz. :P

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1634 Posts

Most games don't even use the dpad. It's all about the analogue sticks in 2020.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6431 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

Everyone knows Xbox dpad is trash already

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

If you actually used the elite controller you would know it’s a much improved Dpad than the standard Xbox one or 360 controller. But I doubt you ever used it.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2240 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah thats why I use the dual shock 4 when you put the d-pad in weird location bottom left under the analog stick it doesn't feel right. Sony is the only one nailing the d-pad, the switch lite ain't too bad tho.

Sony nailed the d-pad because they aligned it with the buttons. That's why I hate their controller because the left analog stick is not aligned with the buttons. That's dumb and a nightmare unless the majority of the games you play are 2D.

The Switch pro controller aligned the analogue stick with the buttons which is the correct way, same as on Xbox controllers. Sony is the one that has never adopted the correct and most natural way to control 3D games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58502 Posts

Probably so they can turn it upside down and mimic the gamers disappointing expression on their face playing the new console.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26174 Posts

When ignorant people make threads, this is what happens. I love how the OP did absolutely no research to find out that you can switch out the d-pad on the elite controller.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4200 Posts

I can not comment on the Xbox d-pads as I have never owned an Xbox, and most games I have played on friend's Xboxes did not use the d-pad for much.

But I can say, I don't like the Playstation d-pad, and it seems like I am the only person on earth who feels this way. It's great for inventory management, but I have trouble getting it to consistently register quarter-circle motions. Thumbsticks are not ideal either, but I still have more luck with them. Even prefer the Dreamcast d-pad to the thing.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

i dont get why these dumbasses, cant just copy the SNES d-pad which is probley the best d-pad all time or one of em.