Why aren't more people complaining about the needless midgen revisions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

Mediocre PS4Pro reveal aside, I was surprised to see many Gamers actually anticipating the upcoming consoles. I don't know about you guys, but I remember buying my consoles without ever worrying to upgrade to play my games at the best way possible. I really hate what this Industry is turning into, and I hope that nonsense won't stick around for the upcoming generations

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

What sould the complain be?

"Hi, i'm a cheapskate and i don't want people to have a better option than my 2 year old console"

If you're going to tell to me they whould work on games instead, i don't think the guys making the console have the talent to design characters and story.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Correct answer: Because it's not that serious. If you don't want to buy it, don't buy it. The old console model wasn't necessarily this holy grail, there is some genuine benefit to console hardware that adapts. Especially since game development is so multiplatform focused.

Dickhead answer: You're talking about a fanbase that openly welcomes games that compromise their gameplay for the sake of telling some d-grade direct to vhs story, and you're surprised they'll be cool with more unspectacular plastic? These people will eat it up, what did you think they actually play video games?

Slashkice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Slashkice
Member since 2007 • 14192 Posts

People are already used to upgrading phones, PCs, handhelds, etc.

Throwing consoles into the mix isn't a big deal.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Because they needed upgrading...they are weak as hell.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts
@trollhunter2 said:

Mediocre PS4Pro reveal aside, I was surprised to see many Gamers actually anticipating the upcoming consoles. I don't know about you guys, but I remember buying my consoles without ever worrying to upgrade to play my games at the best way possible. I really hate what this Industry is turning into, and I hope that nonsense won't stick around for the upcoming generations

Well if you buy a console you already decided you do not want to play it the best way possible. You just have a PS4 that is extremely weaker than a PC and a PS4 pro thats very much weaker than a PC

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trollhunter2

@ArchoNils2: that's why I especially said console tho. PC aren't consoles

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Loving it and can't wait to get Scorpio, all current X1 games, controllers and accessories work with it. Good stuff.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

Sega CD, N64 disc drive, PS2 hard drive, PS2 Ethernet adapter, GameCube Advanced Player, Super Gameboy, Sega 32X, Virtual Boy.......

It's nothing new

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Because gamers hate anything until they can have it.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Been console gaming since the NES and this kind of upgrading isn't really common and frequent for console gaming. I think the last time something like this happened is when they had the add-on for Sega Genesis. I believe another console had an add-on back then too but I don't really remember since I don't think I ever got those add-ons. I was completely fine with the base models. Almost 3 decades later, it looks like history is repeating itself. I do agree that the PS4 Pro is not really pro and is pretty underwhelming but any improvement in performance is good in this day and age of technology. We'll see what the Scorpio offers but it's shaping up to be the most powerful console.

So I guess people aren't really complaining about this midgen revisions because it doesn't really happen often and frequently compared to something like PC gaming. Also just like almost 3 decades ago, these add-ons and revisions were optional. Can't really complain if something is optional. It could be annoying but we live in a world where the latest and greatest is advertised as the best, so you have the option to get that new model phone, to get that new model car, to get that new model TV, etc. and for the first time in awhile, same thing is happening to consoles but I doubt and hope it will ever happen again until decades and decades later.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2074 Posts

I actually think its because this gen was such an incremental step from last gen, PS2----->PS3 huge improvement, xbox------>xbox360, huge improvement both PS3->to PS4 and xbox360-> to xbox one are less so, the most egregious example that comes to mind is Halo4 Vs Halo5 whereby its a tossup as to which actually presents better overall.

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#13 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

Because this gen isnt good enough and it has nothing to do with AAA developers/publishers sucking ass but everything to do with weak hardware and jagged edges spoiling all our "fun"

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

It's because having more options is never a bad thing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

What sould the complain be?

"Hi, i'm a cheapskate and i don't want people to have a better option than my 2 year old console"

If you're going to tell to me they whould work on games instead, i don't think the guys making the console have the talent to design characters and story.

literally lol'd

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Cause they fake. They whine about phone and PC upgrades until it affects them, then they shut up about it. Same with how they whine about Nintendo gimmicks, then when their console implements the same so called gimmicks, they shut up quick.

Same reason they hype games to high heaven, then after release when game scores bad or dont sell good...silence. The hide like cowards and pretend it never happen.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trollhunter2

@gago-gago: very great response, I didnt even think of those oldschool console add-ons

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I'm sure it'll be an ok upgrade or a good buy for new ps4 owners but lmao I won't deny that reveal was as spicy as a glass of water. I dunno who the guy in the glasses was but he was dull as hell

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Cause its completely optional. Smartphones and tablets get upgrades way faster on a yearly basis. And mid gen upgrades have been done before on Nintendo handhelds and the PSP.

And while there isn't a notable jump in specs outside of the New 3DS. If you wanted to experience handheld games at the best visual quality possible. You had to upgrade to a newer model on the DS, 3DS, and PSP that feature a better screen. As the visual quality was very noticeably improved in those new handheld models.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

People often buy multiples of the same consoles every gen. This time around it's a little different and you have the option of getting a much more powerful one as well. Really don't see the issue for now and I'm keeping an open mind. I'm not saying it will be perfect, perhaps there will be some kind of negative consequence to all this that we do not see yet, but right now I don't see it.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

Why, because they are great!
Seriously, they are not making a new console per year like phones, and gens are now retro/forward compatible. You don't want a new console, fine, keep the old one, just don't complain because games on more powerfull hardware look a lot better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@trollhunter2: Simple, because they are optional. Why complain about something you don't have to buy?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@trollhunter2: Yeah, you are right. Video gamers just aren't complaining enough and whining and crying on the internet about each and every video game related thing that is released, we need more of that. (sarcasm)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

The market reflects what the people want.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Because core gamers don't suffer from FOBO.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#26 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

With the rise of other technology and recent revisions, I think the tech market has grown accustomed to purchasing regular hardware revisions. This isn't the first time this has happened either--the slim models of the PS2 and PS3, Xbox 360 had a few different models, and Nintendo has had quite a number of changes in hardware with their handhelds. In fact, the upgrade from PS4 and Xbox One to the Pro and Scorpio are akin to the 3DS to New 3DS with a number of tech advantages.

Needless to say, this isn't uncommon and if you're wanting the more powerful version of a console and don't feel like buying twice or that you don't think you're getting value out of the original model, you're better waiting the first couple years till that new model releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@iandizion713: you need to understand that there is multiple people online. Those that complain aren't the ones who buys said product, it's the ones you don't hear about that buys it.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emgesp

@SolidGame_basic:

And it looks like the market has spoken.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: Ouch, its done dropped that far. It was a number 1 few days ago.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713: It is still the #1 selling console currently on Amazon. Its not competing against Playstation points cards lol.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iandizion713

@emgesp: I know, i just didnt expect the preorders to drop that far so soon.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23717 Posts

I don't think a mid gen bump is such a bad thing. Beyond that, it just doesn't affect me. I hardly play my current consoles as it is, so of course I'm not feeling pressured to go out and buy the new junk.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emgesp

@iandizion713: Just goes to show the demand is there for iterative consoles.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22764 Posts

@jg4xchamp: dick head answer all the way.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iandizion713

@emgesp: I think its better to say was, as its demand is dropping on the Amazon list. It fell to number 6 now.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@trollhunter2 said:

Because nobody's forcing you to purchase them. If you want to keep your current gen console, then by all means keep it. They're not making the PS4 or Xbox One obsolete; they're just upgrading them a bit for people who are either buying one of these consoles now, or people who want a more premium experience.