Why Are You Buying a PS4 Over an Xbox One?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Let me get this straight, i personally think the PS4 is a better gaming device, but does that make it a better console? No it does not.

Microsoft seems to be the one who is innovating the most in this upcoming generation, With a refined kinect and tv apps, it's turned the console into something more then a gaming device, while sony took the easy route and made a device just for gamers, which is good.. but is it really enough to justify a purchase? where's the innovation? say what you want about Microsoft, but atleast they are taking risks, while sony took the safe option.

Anyways, the reason why i'm getting a PS4 over the Xbox one, is for Japanese support, other then that, i think the Xbox one is a slightly better option, despite it being graphically inferior.

Anyways, what's your reason why you are buying a PS4 over an Xbox one?

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

I got the PS4 because Sony's first party has some amazing talent that has brought me amazing experiences every gen since the PS1. I love PlayStation because it brought us a platform with great games and not just a box.

bumsonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bumsonfire
Member since 2013 • 250 Posts

I ain't buying a PS4 over an Xbox, cause I simply hate Playstation. Xbox 4 Life, Microsoft has done nothing wrong.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Exclusives plain and simple. Multiplats will be close this gen and any major differences will just be in resolution. You cannot argue that with Uncharted, The Order 1886, The Witness, Drive Club, The Dark Sorcerer, Everyone's Gone To The Rapture, Infamous:SS, Shadow Of The Beast and Rime it's a fantastic time to be a PS4 owner.

Add this to the inevitable TLOU sequel, new games from thatgamecompany and (fingers and everything else crossed) Team Ico if they get their act together and wow the world.

I'm 100% getting and Xbox One also but waiting a couple of years.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
  • I'm biased towards PlayStation consoles (I wouldn't still be in gaming if it weren't for my PS2)
  • Platform consistency
  • Friends are getting PS4
  • Japanese support
  • Gamer focused console(?)

The fact that its cheaper and supposedly more powerful is just a plus

Don't really care for any of the non-gaming related features the Xbox One offers. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty nifty stuff, but it's just not for me. Perhaps my parents would like it though.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like the games that are on the xbox one and I also prefer the xbox controller.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Naughty Dog

Santa Monica studios

Cheaper

More powerful

Better exclusives

Longer support(Exclusives are still coming for PS3)

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

As you can tell from my sig and avi, I like Japanese stuff.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Same reason i got 360 over PS3:

Release date

Better hardware

Dev support

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Because its more powerful. The only reason i care

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Let me get this straight, i personally think the PS4 is a better gaming device, but does that make it a better console? No it does not.

Your very first sentence doesn't make sense. When I decide on a gaming console, I think of it primarily as a gaming device. Don't really care about TV features on X1 at all, since I don't watch TV.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

You buy PS4 for gaming and you buy Xbox One for Forza 5.

SuperFly1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SuperFly1179
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I'm buying a PS4 because it is a gaming console built to play games. I don't know how often you people really think that you're going to be playing games and surfing the net at the same time which can be done on PS4 and Wiiiu, or watch TV at the same time which still can be done on Wiiu. I buy my consoles for the best games and for the last 3 generations Sony + Nintendo have always had the best exclusives. There is no denying this as this is a fact.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

PS4 1080p.......better and cheaper.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Sony seems to be back on the right track with the PS4 while MS somehow derailed a couple of years ago .

Don't care about brand loyalty as I have none .

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

Because:

It's more powerful

It's cheaper

No Kinect being forced

Sony's 1st party is leagues ahead of MS' both in quality and quantity.

I know all companies are after our money but Sony make the core gamer feel appreciated. MS are aiming for a different demographic and are just using us, luring us in at the start of the gen so we can spread their word.

mehgat0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 mehgat0n
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

If the multiplat situation evens out, and given Titanfall is available on PC, I don't have a reason to even consider Xbox One. Also, Kinect.

nonsoville2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By nonsoville2
Member since 2006 • 4124 Posts

As much as I considered myself a Microsoft loyalist, Im getting a PS4 this time around cuz of the cost, better utilization of a stronger hardware for core games and the size of the console itself. I hardly or never watch TV, so the TV features of the XBone doenst reel me in the slightest. I tend to travel a lot and carry my console along most times and the size of the PS4 is a better option for that. Most importantly, I want to have a brand new experience different from the xbox and have a chance to play later first party titles from Sony. I still have my Xbox 360, so i'll get Titanfall on that.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Yes, yes it does, i want a gaming console focused in .....surprise......gaming!

Every multimedia need i have my laptop or gaming pc, even my blu ray or tv has got me covered (seriously who doesn't even own a laptop today?). I want a console that does gaming really well, not something that does everything so so.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Cheaper

Multiplats may have an advantage in resolution or graphics... for now at least. Although I play my multiplats on PC anyway.

Exclusives.

Friends.

Weebs.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
  1. i like the game exclusives (not at launch but gran turismo, uncharted, god of war, infamous second son looks wicked etc...) which is more diverse than halo,gears,forza, fable exclusives. other exclusives that ms has gets ported to other systems eventually or on the pc so yea....
  2. no kinect and all those unimpressive voice commands
  3. i like the controller (though i preffer the ds3 analog over the concave of ps4)
  4. $100 cheaper
  5. in the past i said because i dont like paying for mp....but since i have to, id rather take the free games, discounts, and $10 cheaper psn+
  6. microsoft had some boneheaded execs and pr people (fire penello, nelson, harrison, and spectre or whatever his name is) totally turn me off. it was worse than kuturagi at the ps3 launch. can someone bring back allard

so im firmly waiting for at least 2 price drops and hoping for compelling new ips from them. the only one worth picking up right now is killer instinct, and titanfall. i can just pick up titanfall for my 360 and/or pc if i ever get a rig.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

1) I tend to enjoy Sony's exclusive offerings more than I do MS's. While I find Forza to be an overall better racer than GT, it doesn't interest me to the extent that I'd throw all the below reasons out in order to play it, nor does GeoW. Those are the only two exclusives they have that I care for, and even then it's not much.

2) I find it incredibly arrogant that MS believes I'll allow something like the Kinect 2 to be piggybacked onto their core product under the guise of "functionality" or some other bullshit excuse, especially when the tech it uses is often more trouble than it's worth. Making it mandatory comes off as nothing but insidious and sleazy to me, and to that I say "**** YOU" to MS. I'm not buying the system based on general principle in this respect, privacy non-withstanding.

3) I much prefer Sony's focus and direction. I don't need nor want one unified entertainment experience as I find that the more all-encompassing and inclusive one product becomes, the more vague its specific features tend to work to their fullest capability. If I want the best sound system available, what am I going to buy? A system that has dedicated hardware for each individual component needed for excellent sound clarity, or one that addresses sound somewhat but is not the focus? I want a system that focuses on evolving gaming alone, not media in all its forms. I'm ok with a few extra features (Netflix) that go past gaming, but not to the degree One does.

4) I believe this problem will plague all systems to an extent; but micro-transactions. I've already read in numerous reviews and have seen on other forum boards that more than one One launch title is already filled with them, and MS being the type of company that they are, mark my words.....they are going to be extremely aggressive with this business model to the detriment of the software, and in turn, the consumer.

5) ome MS exclusives will eventually be available on my PC, Titanfall being the most recent example.

6) After what they tried to pull at E3, I don't trust them and will not support a company that will inevitably implement these anti-consumer policies. They 180ed once, what's to say they'll not do so again after they have a sufficient install base? Hell, they recently came out and ADMITTED that they still feel the way they did at E3, their only mistake being that us gamers "weren't ready". Again, mark my words.....in a few years, let's see where we stand and how far it's removed from what was said at this past E3. Gamers (in the furor and excitement for new hardware after so long), seem to have forgotten what MS tried.

And this is exactly what Microsoft is counting on.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Getting both, which one will I picking up first? I still don't really have a clue to be honest.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I do not own either system, and I will not be buying a new system until sometime next year (I have plenty of PC games, and my rig runs circles around either console), but I will almost definitely be buying a PS4, and here's why:

1. Sony makes better games-- they are pretty much tied with Nintendo as far as first party studios go
  2. $100 cheaper
  3. No NSA spy box included, which brings me to
  4. Kinect is obnoxious, and on Xbox Microsoft has used it as a bandaid to cover up how poor the Xbox One's UI is
  5. Better hardware all around, which is remarkable considering it's cheaper, smaller, quieter, emits less heat, and uses less electricity
  6. I had a PS4 and PSP, so I am already familiar with the Playstation ecosystem
  7. I don't need a cable box, because I am never going to subscribe to cable TV, ever.

I could list more ways in which the PS4 is better, but most of them would be disingenuous because it really comes down to the fact that PS4 is $100 less and it is almost guaranteed to get better software support. That last part is the variable though, and thus I am going to wait until more games are actually out before I actually decide on buying one.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Better exclusives.

Better multiplats.

Lower price.

More interesting controller innovations.

Less DLC/American media focus.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

PS4 has a future. Even though it's UI has nothing much to offer or the missing features that PS3 has... You just can't help but think, PS4 is only starting out. What I see now in games is only going to get better and the UI will mature.

MS gave everything they got out of the gate. There is nothing there to keep the hype going. It doesn't help they can't run most games in 1080 or the fact they screwed the pooch early in the year. But from what I see, XBO's future doesn't look as bright as PS4s.

I'm glad I choose PS4 over XBO. It's what I want in a console.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

1. Ist party support.

2. More powerful

3. multiplats will perform better.

4. doesn't have kinect

5. games first, media hub second

6. DS4

7. PS+>>>>>XBL

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

In terms of launch? I would rather have KZ Shadowfall than Dead Rising 3. I want Dead Rising 3 but DR2 was so disappointing I just couldn't do it. Forza 5 is irrelevant to me as I'm tired of the same dime a dozen sim racers. I do think Sony has the best first and second party studios when comparing MS and Sony, hands down.

That being said, when there is a non-Kinect bundle of the Xbox One (and there will be...guaranteed), I'll pick one up. I want DR3, Titanfall, and Quantum Break.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

1. I don't care about Kinect. Even bundled with every system, it's doubtful you will see use in many multiplats which are the majority of games worth owning in every gen. Microsoft STILL has to prove to gamers it's even useful for gaming because aside from annoying gimmicks, all I've seen are voice controls which ps4 let's people do without needing a camera (which makes sense since any headset should let us use voice commands)

2. I don't care about TV most of the time and when I do, I'd rather save electricity and just watch it on its own input rather than plugging my cable box into my Xbox just so i could watch TV on my game system.

3. All my friends jumped out, so I'd be alone on the Xbox One.

4. I don't trust MS. All companies are money first, but MS is defnitely the shadier company.

5. I don't believe MS will continue supporting the core gamers with new IPs throughout the gen. They didn't on the 360 and Sony did. Sony has a great first party and all MS has is an unproven studio, a company that will never be as good as Bungie making Halo, racing dev (don't care for racing games), and a dev for Fable. Fable keeps getting worse and worse with each new game. Moneyhats keep them sitting pretty for now, but that won't be a viable option for the entire gen.

6. Xbox One costs $100 more

7. Xbox Live Gold is less value than PS+. Apps and basic services locked behind a paywall and less benefits given.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

haven't bought it, but i'd go for PS4 if i were to buy a console. better gaming performance and... umm.... well that's it. impossible to know the future of exclusives, but PS4 looks better on paper for me.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

*shrug* I feel like MS is abandoning its core audience. I have no allegiance to any product or company or person ('cept based GabeN) and so I'll let my wallet do my talking and hope MS take note if enough others do the same.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

For me it's simple. I play mostly multiplats but have always preferred the offerings of Sony's 1st party studios over Microsoft's. MLB The Show and Gran Turismo specifically.

I am impressed by the HDMI pass through and UI of the XBox One but am looking forward to the games to come on PS4 over XBO. I will see how the next year plays out and maybe this will be the generation where I am a two console owner but that will depend on a few things.

SystemWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SystemWarrior
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

Because of price, more games in development, better hardware and first party studios. But in a perfect world I would own a XBone down the road sometime.

Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

Xbox360 was my main console last gen. This gen looks like i'm with PS4. I highly doubt Xbox-Ones cloud will work out well enough to compensate for its lack of overall power compared to the PS4. Even if they get the cloud thing working , will 3rd party devs take the time to design for it , or just release a lower res port from the PS4 version?

It's a shame cause i do like Xbox's Online service and controllers over the PSN and it's dual shock.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Over the course of the past three generations I have come to really like the franchises and studios that Sony has. On top of that, they have a strong machine this time around that seems centered and focused on what I buy a console for, which is gaming. I don't dislike Nintendo, but they lost me with the Wii and the WiiU's tablet controller isn't super compelling, but the new Mario game has me on the fence. As far as XBox is concerned, I always had a feeling MS would show their true colors as a soulless profitbox run by bean counters and irrespective of the gamers. They proved exactly that with the XBox One reveal and even the 180 doesn't really undo any of that (imho). I'm 99% sure I can get most of the big games from MSes consoles on Steam, and to a very large degree, that's precisely how it's worked out.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Dat blue light

Gotta have it

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Value. As a consumer and head of household, PS4 is a better value for me and my family. X1 is fine, not much wrong with it, but I don't see it as good as an investment.

tacoma1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 tacoma1972
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

Hate MS. They are nothing but followers in the industry and copiers. They innovate in nothing and the only reason they exist is because of their crappy OS. Surface = fail, Zune = fail, phones = fail. Now they are trying to catch up with smart watches (they will fail) and their own version of google glasses (they will fail).

The xflop720 will sell well but it will fail against PS4.

Avatar image for OniLordAsmodeus
OniLordAsmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OniLordAsmodeus
Member since 2010 • 381 Posts

Killer Instinct.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I prefer Sony's first party games and they support the console through its entire life cycle. Just look at 2013 and the games we got on the PS3.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

Better multiplats and better variety in exclusives. I will be buying an xbone in a couple months for the exclusives I don't wanna miss.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

1. Sony built the PS4 to be 1 bad A** gaming machine. It's built to to that 1 thing extremely well. The games are the first thing you see when it stats up. They're front and center. Everything else is minimal and in the background to gaming. It has kick ass hardware to play those games; 150% better GPU than X1 and GDDR 5 RAM vs GDDR 3 RAM.

2. MS is a dispicable company and does things with their machines at a cost to their consumers. DRM, no renting, used game fees, puts crap into the console to make more money at the sacrifice of the hardware.

3. I don't need to camera to play my games, I like that the PS4s controllers are rechargable.

4. I had the first Xbox and the 360. The first Xbox MS charged to play online and for no darn reason other than to just make money off consumers. The 360 I got failed HDD, discdrive scratching discs, and then RRoD. My brother in law had 5 360 fail him.

6. Sony keeps the consumers in mind and reluctantly charges for online after 3 gens of gaming and they give you many many free games all year for paying $50 that are worth hundreds of dollars.

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

Better gaming support.

Better gaming console and hardware.

I rather support gaming and the best gaming console over the tv/sports box and soccermom entertainment.

Price makes no difference since im filthy rich, but it's a nice fact to rub in the fanboys faces.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

At $400 with more power/features/specs/ Studio support It IS the better console

So yeah XB1 wasn't even a choice at all.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

1) I like sonys exclusives better. True there are only a few coming as of right now but the system is only like a week old. Plus I like sony of japans games a lot so whatever they are working on Ill love.

2) I like that I can do something like stream Netflix without having to pay sony extra money just to do it. And that I can chat with friends and so on free also.

3) Its 100 bucks cheaper.

4) I like PS+ because of all the games included initially and additionally each month. I have a ps3 and vita also so constantly getting new games for them is a nice bonus. Plus I like all the discounts I get on PSN for being a PS+ member.

5) I like the dual shock controller better.

And I could name a dozen or more other reasons but they get more insignificant as I go, but they still add up.

Ill get a xbox one eventually. But not till the price drops at least 150 bucks and there is a decent selection of games on it I want and they have come down in price some.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Its pretty easy to answer.. PS4 simply for games, seeing what Sony have done with the PS3 last gen and how amazingly it was able to destroy the xbox360 in terms of exclusives which is a console that came out about a year ahead of the ps3 sold me on the PS4, Sony has always been the place for Quality and Quantity of games are at and it has always been the brand with the most verity of games.

PS4 <3

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#49 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I like what the PS4 has to offer,but I like the Xbox One better.I will be buying the Xbox One and the PS4 at a later date.I will own both,Xbox One first.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Naughty Dogs

Symmetrical controller is more versatile. I play fighters with pad... Sue me.