Why are so many games skipped for wiiU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]because devs are sick of 2006 hardware. Also its not selling great also... who cares about wii u when ps4 and 720 are on the horizon :lol:campzor

The WiiU is using 2008 hardware and higher for most of the compenents besides the CPU.

eh whatever, its still >5 years old

Here's what that 5+ years old hardware could do in real-time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzquM5Td6bM

If they used high-end hardware from 5 years ago it could have still delivered...

#152 Posted by omho88 (3967 posts) -
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="super600"]

The WiiU is using 2008 hardware and higher for most of the compenents besides the CPU.

eh whatever, its still >5 years old

If they used high-end hardware from 5 years ago it could have still delivered...

I wonder why no game came even close to that trailer ... the best thing it offers rightnow is marginally better than PS3/X360.
#153 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="campzor"] eh whatever, its still >5 years oldomho88

I wonder why no game came even close to that trailer ... the best thing it offers rightnow is marginally better than PS3/X360.

Well that was a tech-demo and running on a high-end RV770 config. (probably HD 4870 X2)

WiiU uses a "4860M", "HD 4550/4650" or something in that range.

#154 Posted by wazzap76 (293 posts) -

Well the reason a lot of publishers such as EA and ubisoft are skipping games on the wii u is because Nintendo refused to allow both companies to use there online services Origin and uplay on their system. Essentially EA and Ubisoft wanted control of the online functionality and Nintendo said **** you. So the companies have been slowly choosing not to support the system.

Another thing is the new engines being made just wont work on the hardware. But my first paragraph is the main reason.

#155 Posted by Cheleman (8195 posts) -

Weak hardware, and because Nintendo prefers milking Mario's **** dry.

#156 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -
The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?
#157 Posted by locopatho (23090 posts) -
The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?mark1982
Everyone likes Nintendo for secondary. I think the main problem is when people think/argue it can stand by itself. Port begging for last gen games etc. That's when things get ugly :P
#158 Posted by KungfuKitten (24413 posts) -
[QUOTE="mark1982"]The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?locopatho
Everyone likes Nintendo for secondary. I think the main problem is when people think/argue it can stand by itself. Port begging for last gen games etc. That's when things get ugly :P

I wonder if it's better for sales to be the absolute best secondary platform or a slightly preferred primary platform.
#159 Posted by locopatho (23090 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="mark1982"]The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?KungfuKitten

I wonder if it's better for sales to be the absolute best secondary platform or a slightly preferred primary platform.

I'm not sure. All us freaks on System Wars get multiple/all platforms. I'm not sure how many people do that in the real world though.
#160 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="mark1982"]The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?locopatho

The last Nintendo home system to be able to "stand by itself" was the SNES, true...

But even then you were missing out quite a lot of good games without a Genesis/MD.

Having a Nintendo system for primary device these days is only viable if you're really just into Nintendo games and nothing else. (excluding those few worthwhile 3rd party exclusives)

#161 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -

Seems like the kids are back from middle school... I'm heading back to Neogaf.

#162 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="mark1982"]The Wii U is a secondary console, I don't know anybody who games solely on a Nintendo platform. Everybody who has a Wii U or a Wii has another console or PC, it's that simple. Wii U for first party Nintendo titles, Sony/Micro/PC for everything else... It's not rocket science, why hate on sheep when they are playing the same games everybody else is on PS3/Xbox/PC as well?KungfuKitten

TBH, the secondary market for Nintendo is not as bad as it seems since the majority of people make a choice for their primary system between PS/Mirco/PC (or whatever combo they want for primary systems). Then Nintendo comes in as a support system for people who want first party titles that Nintendo can offer. I believe the Wii U sales will rise once they get their library in better shape, that's the only thing holding it back now.

#163 Posted by SuddenlySudden (618 posts) -
Short Answer: Cause the Wii U fawking sucks. Long Answer: ccaaaaaaauuuuuuuuseeeeee tttttttttthhhhhhheeeeee wwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwkkkkkkkiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg ssssssssssssssss suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccc kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk sssssssssssssssssss
#164 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

mark1982

Is heading back to neogaf suddenly going to make most major multiplats appear on wiiU?

WII SKIPPED U (TM)

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
#165 Posted by ristactionjakso (6118 posts) -

Because developers are jackazzes.

If Wii U had more games, more people would be inticed to buy it.

Imagine a Nintendo system with great 3rd party support and the best 1rst party support. Developers are just scurred.

Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
#166 Posted by CallOfDutyRulez (1602 posts) -

What people here don't understand is that having a diversity of games actually harms the industry. Too many choices ultimately leads to dissatisfaction and and lower sales.

That is why the gaming industry needs to follow the CoD trend. Microsoft followed suit with Halo 4. It is time everyone else follows.

#167 Posted by wazzap76 (293 posts) -

[QUOTE="wazzap76"]

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"]

What people here don't understand is that having a diversity of games actually harms the industry. Too many choices ultimately leads to dissatisfaction and and lower sales.

That is why the gaming industry needs to follow the CoD trend. Microsoft followed suit with Halo 4. It is time everyone else follows.

CallOfDutyRulez

Ya your so right. That's why the indie game market has sky rocketed to one of the most profitable and popular markets for games... Your statment is wrong on so many levels. You do realize the model Activision uses to release and makes games is old and is failing hard for most companies doing the same. Thats why companies like THQ have gone under. They stick to old business models and don't innovate or restructure to better suite the changing markets and die because of it. Yearly games will come to bite companies like ubisoft and Activision in the ass as over saturation will kick in and people will move on.  WHy do you think this last halo game sold less then all the previous iterations? Over saturation. Same with all the assasin creeds games. They've all been selling less and less with each game iteration. COD is an exception but They got lucky with the brand recognition and that can only keep you going for so long before people move on to bigger better and different experiences.

$1.1 billion profit from Activision-Blizzard says hi. $17 billion profit from Microsoft says hi.

The indie market is a colossal failure. All of them are a bunch of hipster trash who think they're creative for making games with no substance. ThatGameCompany LOST money with their PS3 exclusives because they weren't like COD. THQ failed because they didn't make games like CoD.

The market has spoken. We need more CoD games and less "creative" games.

What are you talking about they did make cod like games. Does homefront ring a bell? Or do you just not know the kinds of games THQ put out in the last few years? They failed because they stuck to their same model while the market was and had changed. That is exactly what is going to happen to activision. A cod every year is not a valid business model in this upcoming console generation as development costs are going up. and most likely game prices. The market is not going to be the same as it was on the ps3 and 360. To think it will be is naive and wishful thinking at that. Why do you think you see EA branching out from AAA games and trying to find new markets and business models? Because they realize keeping things the way they have it now wont keep them afloat in the changing market. 

Only about three too 5 franchises can enjoy the success call of duty has at a time. This leaves everyone else to either try for the top possibly fail or find different business models and ways to make games profitable without being the highest seller. Your going to see far less AAA games this upcoming generation and far less AA games as they don't sell enough to warrant the development price.

And the indie markets a colossal failure? It has the best profit margins out of any of the large game markets. Most indie games are extremely cheap to produce and when comparing the amount put in and the amount earned, you clearly see that is where the market is heading. Minecraft is a great example of that. Same with angry birds. Just because you don't enjoy indie games, doesn't mean that it isn't an up and coming market where cheap production and development far out ways the 100m dollar price tag most games have. Developers also have to consider do you just want you game on a console or two or do you want it to access millions more who have phones and tablets? There is more money in phone and tablet games then there ever will be in the AAA game market. You wont have the huge hitters like Call of duty can bring in but once again in comparison to price of development to amount it earned it's a far more lucrative market to head into since the chance of Call of duty like success is low at best.

There will all ways be AAA games that sell as well as cod. But the days where most companies try to make those is gone. Like I said before the wavering sales of the big franchise like Halo and Assasins creed are an indicator the market is getting bored with the same thing every year. Hell listen to any body in the industry talk about the next generation of consoles and they will tell you exactly what I just did.

PS. I think you pulled those numbers out of your ass.

#168 Posted by wazzap76 (293 posts) -

CallOfDutyRulez

Ya your so right. That's why the indie game market has sky rocketed to one of the most profitable and popular markets for games... Your statment is wrong on so many levels. You do realize the model Activision uses to release and makes games is old and is failing hard for most companies doing the same. Thats why companies like THQ have gone under. They stick to old business models and don't innovate or restructure to better suite the changing markets and die because of it. Yearly games will come to bite companies like ubisoft and Activision in the ass as over saturation will kick in and people will move on.  WHy do you think this last halo game sold less then all the previous iterations? Over saturation. Same with all the assasin creeds games. They've all been selling less and less with each game iteration. COD is an exception but They got lucky with the brand recognition and that can only keep you going for so long before people move on to bigger better and different experiences.

Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
#169 Posted by CallOfDutyRulez (1602 posts) -

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyRulez"]

wazzap76

$1.1 billion profit from Activision-Blizzard says hi. $17 billion profit from Microsoft says hi.

The indie market is a colossal failure. All of them are a bunch of hipster trash who think they're creative for making games with no substance. ThatGameCompany LOST money with their PS3 exclusives because they weren't like COD. THQ failed because they didn't make games like CoD.

#170 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

They have the majority of the major third party titles as well as quite a few exclusives from third parties. I don't understand what more you want...unless you're wanting all the newest games that came out this year to appear on Wii U...which simply won't happen. And if it does, it won't be till later on. What would be the point of that? Tomb Raider on Wii U? It's already out on PS3/360 and alot earlier then it would be on Wii U. Unless they made a pack like Deus Ex HR on Wii U, there would be no point to it. But, for future purposes, the majority of the third party titles are on Wii U. Some of the bigger ones for now are missed, like BF4, but only time will tell if they put it on Wii U or not. Honestly, you people nitpick like children. It's the same old crap over and over...gets old.

#171 Posted by lunar1122 (779 posts) -

i'd probably give the most correct and honest answer here

Most titles skip the WII U because a combination of things, not just 1

1) Some Developers sour from since the orginal release of Wii because game titles did not lead in game sales on the WII for multiplat games. In some cases even looses. When Activision comes out and says " nintendo owners only buy nintendo games". There is some truth to that statement . As a matter of fact its dead true. The writing is on the wall. 

2) why did multiplatform titles suck on the WII? because nintendo went with overly crappy hardware, that made the multiplatform games have the worst version on the wii which ofcourse people are not going to buy a Call of Duty for.....     Nintendo platforms were created with nintendo games in mind, and those are games that dont push the graphic boundaries. So multiplat games pushing higher graphics than the WII is capable of flopped cause the game looked inferior.

3) because of the bad experiences of certain companies on the nintendo platform ( SUCH AS EA). They skip it all together .. What is a bad experience? games not selling as well on nintendo compared to the other platforms.

Every problem can be stemmed from 1 and 2.

The jist of it, the hardware sucks. Its a console made for nintendo games, for a nintendo audience.  

The sour taste from the wii has left companies to give up on nintendo, Thus games arent even being considered for the WII U, despite it now actually being able to play games in HD.

However as we all know, that too will be short lived, because the next generation games are upon us. So while the WII U caught up to this generation. Its going to be left behind again really soon. Hence if console isnt selling good now, Its in for a majorrrrrrrrrrrr flop.  I think its going to flop worst than the gamecube.     Ironically the WII U greatest competitor is the nintendo DS....

#172 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

CallOfDutyRulez

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

#173 Posted by daveg1 (20396 posts) -
cos its trash..just like the gc and wii
#174 Posted by mark1982 (557 posts) -

[QUOTE="mark1982"]

Jankarcop

Is heading back to neogaf suddenly going to make most major multiplats appear on wiiU?

Who play multiplats on a Nintendo platform? like I said in my previous posts, Nintendo platforms are a secondary console for first party Nintendo titles... PS/Micro/PC for multiplats, did you read my previous posts beforehand?

#175 Posted by LustForSoul (6404 posts) -
The game has to sell first. Porting bigger games may not be worth their time.
#176 Posted by Asim90 (3692 posts) -

Because nobody cares about the Wii U, most of us still feel cheated for buying a Wii. There were 5 good games.. 4 Mario's and Donkey Kong. Wait.. Mario and Donkey Kong? That sounds familiar..  I think have seen those games before.

#177 Posted by sukraj (27228 posts) -

They got into a pee pee contest with EA and lost.FastEddie2121

it isn't for the core gamers imo.

#178 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Because nobody cares about the Wii U, most of us still feel cheated for buying a Wii. There were 5 good games.. 4 Mario's and Donkey Kong. Wait.. Mario and Donkey Kong? That sounds familiar..  I think have seen those games before.

Asim90

Only 5 good games? :lol: Sigh.

#179 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="mark1982"]

mark1982

Who play multiplats on a Nintendo platform? like I said in my previous posts, Nintendo platforms are a secondary console for first party Nintendo titles... PS/Micro/PC for multiplats, did you read my previous posts beforehand?

There was a time when gamers could enjoy the best Nintendo and 3rd parties had to offer in one place....R.I.P. SNES. You will not be forgotten.
#180 Posted by ImJESUS-PROam (360 posts) -
[QUOTE="mark1982"]

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

MFDOOM1983

There was a time when gamers could enjoy the best Nintendo and 3rd parties had to offer in one place....R.I.P. SNES. You will not be forgotten.

Well, there was Sega with more TP support and a much larger FP support as well.
#181 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (7431 posts) -

I suspect it is a 2 part problem.

1st. Nintendo seem to suffer from their own success, pretty much only Nintendo games seem to sell well on the Nintendo platforms, even games built from the ground up for the platform, often suffers low sales, why I have no idea of, maybe a very dedicated fanbase to blame?

2nd Nintendo is notoriously bad at relations with publishers, and they have been grounds for alot of frustration within the industry in the past. While it seems they try to change that, years of bad blood does not seem to be forgotten so easily within the industry.

#182 Posted by super600 (32403 posts) -

I suspect it is a 2 part problem.

1st. Nintendo seem to suffer from their own success, pretty much only Nintendo games seem to sell well on the Nintendo platforms, even games built from the ground up for the platform, often suffers low sales, why I have no idea of, maybe a very dedicated fanbase to blame?

2nd Nintendo is notoriously bad at relations with publishers, and they have been grounds for alot of frustration within the industry in the past. While it seems they try to change that, years of bad blood does not seem to be forgotten so easily within the industry.

Maddie_Larkin

Most japanese publishers have forgiven them. The problem is ninty and western third parties have totally different visions.It does not help that their recent consoles have been weaker than the competition in graphics.

#183 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

There are 3 main things I see why third parties are staying away from the Wii U:

1: Nintendo has always been about first party games. It's very difficult for third parties to compete with the Zelda's, Mario's Metroids, etc... Nintendo treats the third parties as an after-thought.

2. Sales. If you look at the recent sales of the Wii U, they are abysmal. Games are very expensive to make and it will be very difficult for developers to break even on the Wii U, let alone make a profit. The userbase is just not there.

3. This one I think is the most important of these 3. Nintendo refuses to change in a very fast paced changing market. Nintendo's competition are way ahead of them in terms of adjusting to the market, and this is a big mistake.

#184 Posted by svetzenlether (3082 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

So wiiU isn't really for core gamers at all then?

StrongBlackVine

Only if your core is the same games that were around 20 years ago.

As opposed to yearly updates to the same games for the last 12 years and counting?  Don't think that the other two aren't doing this as well, and more often.

#185 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

504mtj.jpgs

#186 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

Low install base.

Why the low install base?
XpQY4Pcpfm7i.gif

#188 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

So not only this but nintendo now is not going to e3 and is talking about a record low sales.

Is this the true end of Nintendo?

#189 Posted by heeweesRus (5492 posts) -

Ask the developers.

Michael0134567

Fat White kid who talks in red with creepy obsession over Selena Gomez...classy

#190 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -
They don't think the install base is worth the entry fee, I for one would buy third party if it was on the system, but it's not.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
#191 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (10532 posts) -
the userbase is only 4 million and it is a whole new system to learn. Lots of extra costs, not as much return.
#192 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Devs/publishers are out to make money. They aren't a charity. The WiiU is selling like crap, which means devs know their games won't sell. So you tell me why they should release their games on a system they are going to lose money on.
#193 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -
Because the games don't sell. EA tried to support wii with games but they sold exceptionally poorly. Wii U is doing much worse than Wii, so the results are no doubt even worse.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#194 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

Well the reason a lot of publishers such as EA and ubisoft are skipping games on the wii u is because Nintendo refused to allow both companies to use there online services Origin and uplay on their system. Essentially EA and Ubisoft wanted control of the online functionality and Nintendo said **** you. So the companies have been slowly choosing not to support the system.

Another thing is the new engines being made just wont work on the hardware. But my first paragraph is the main reason.

wazzap76

Ubisoft is supporting the Wii U...one of the few.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#195 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

Because developers are jackazzes.

If Wii U had more games, more people would be inticed to buy it.

Imagine a Nintendo system with great 3rd party support and the best 1rst party support. Developers are just scurred.

ristactionjakso

If the money was there developers would be too.

#196 Posted by super600 (32403 posts) -

Because the games don't sell. EA tried to support wii with games but they sold exceptionally poorly. Wii U is doing much worse than Wii, so the results are no doubt even worse. nutcrackr

bloom blox says hi.

#197 Posted by KingsofQueens (2508 posts) -
Why are people saying "small install base"? Neither PS4 or Durango have been out, yet developers have pledged full support on both platforms! Just face the facts: 1) WiiU is severely underpowered 2) Nintendo still maintains the kiddy stigma 3) 3rd party games just don't sell well on Nintendo consoles 4) Asinine Sheep don't buy 3rd party games 5) Sony & MS are better off offering core games
#198 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Ask the developers.

heeweesRus

Fat White kid who talks in red with creepy obsession over Selena Gomez...classy

What are you talking about?

#199 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

Is the software/hardare not compatiable? 

Jankarcop
Developers are skipping the Wii U, because it doesn't have a large enough user base at this point. Many developers know that Nintendo fans will buy exclusive Nintendo software first over anything 3rd party developers make. This is why many companies have pulled back their titles for the Wii U. Once they get to 10+ million Wii U gamers, they will probably release more games for the system.
#200 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8465 posts) -

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Because the games don't sell. EA tried to support wii with games but they sold exceptionally poorly. Wii U is doing much worse than Wii, so the results are no doubt even worse. super600

bloom blox says hi.

boom blox 2 says hi back.