VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 647 Posts

So, weird thing, but most people in this forum are quite knowledgeable of gaming terms. However, I'm noticing something weird recently with the professional media outlets - including IGN and even Gamespot, and general gaming population. They keep saying remakes are remasters, which we know is not the case. However, this is happening a lot within the past couple of weeks with both Tony Hawk and Mafia which are full blown remakes, being called such.

Do you think maybe publishers are doing this as a way to pass remasters as remakes, hence less knowledgeable sectors of the market confuse them when making their purchases? Of course, the media and their payola, especially Gamespot (Kand and Lynch) will take the bait.

FemtoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FemtoG
Member since 2020 • 64 Posts

A remake to me is a game that uses completely different assets and has different gameplay mechanics.

Examples: RE2, RE3 , FF7

A remaster is a game that is essentially the same game but in higher resolution and sometimes higher framerates.

Examples: FF12, GTAV

Then you have games that kinda blur the line: Example (Shadow of the Colossus)

Where it has massively improved assets but keeps the same gameplay.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2209 Posts

I think the label "remaster" is being used as it subconsciously implies that it isn't taking any liberties with the stories/plot. It's just being (supposedly) improved on a graphical/technical level.

"Remake" means taking the skeleton of an original thing and telling it your own way.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 7600 Posts

So you are saying that publishers are pushing media outlets to call remakes remasters, so that the terms get confused and they will later be able to sell remasters as remakes?

I don’t believe that.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14227 Posts

Remaster is same game with update HD visuals. ie waste of resource and time.

Remake is build from start, entirely new game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 26037 Posts

To me, if the game has updated assets, but the game itself plays the same I still consider that a remaster. i.e. I don't consider Crash Bandicoot trilogy a remake.

"Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to changing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic."

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18507 Posts

Yeah I doubt there's some underlying shady tactic behind it.

For one, gaming media gets all kinds of basic shit wrong.

Aside from that, think there's just some grey area. Some games fit cleanly into either territory. Others not so much. FemtoGs post has some good examples. The grey area remains up for debate.

End of the day, don't think it matters much as long as the individual understands what they're buying. Should never purchase a game without doing your homework.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11405 Posts

For the same reason that full-blown re-recordings and re-productions are regularly labeled as "remixes" in the music industry. It's become a marketing term that gets people excited, and the fact that a minority of people more familiar with the product know better doesn't really matter.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5983 Posts

A remake and remaster are two different things.

remake: Taking the idea (soul if you will) of the original game and expanding in certain areas and letting others lay to rest. A re-imaging if you will.

remaster: This is where they are supposed to take the original game and not really touch much except the graphics, lighting, sounds, that kind of stuff. Just a make over really.

I would USUALLY prefer a remake over a remaster, but not with games like FFVII that stripped its original charm.

That said I would ALWAYS prefer a new game rather than either choice. I very rarely if ever get excited when I hear either of those 2 are happening although the Mafia 1 remake has me hoping for the best.

The biggest problem is that those who market this stuff know exactly what words they need to throw around to maximize sales, so often times you get left with them calling things a certain name even though it isn't so.

Kind of like recent debates with what they are trying to convince people of Backward Compatibility although it's something entirely different.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30264 Posts

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anyone calling a remake a remaster or vice a versa. Sometimes people make mistakes though I guess.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7170 Posts
@virusvaccine21 said:

So, weird thing, but most people in this forum are quite knowledgeable of gaming terms.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12132 Posts

What category would you put Spyro Trilogy and Warcraft III Reforged? The gameplay is the exact same, but the graphics are completely redone.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 7778 Posts

@SOedipus: remasters

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4917 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:

So, weird thing, but most people in this forum are quite knowledgeable of gaming terms. However, I'm noticing something weird recently with the professional media outlets - including IGN and even Gamespot, and general gaming population. They keep saying remakes are remasters, which we know is not the case. However, this is happening a lot within the past couple of weeks with both Tony Hawk and Mafia which are full blown remakes, being called such.

Do you think maybe publishers are doing this as a way to pass remasters as remakes, hence less knowledgeable sectors of the market confuse them when making their purchases? Of course, the media and their payola, especially Gamespot (Kand and Lynch) will take the bait.

As for Tony Hawk I believe they are not using the word remake because they are using the original Neversoft handling code but yeah it's weird I agree they should be called remakes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46585 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Remaster is same game with update HD visuals. ie waste of resource and time.

Remake is build from start, entirely new game.

This.

Black Mesa is a remake, for example.

The Last Of Us Remastered is, well....a remaster. Same game just updated for newer console, some extra stuff added in.