Why are light sabers always so FAIL in star wars games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Am I the only one bothered by there being no starwars games where light sabers act like light sabers? In every starwars game the light sabers act essentially like sticks that you club people with. Aren't light sabers supposed to cut? And it can't be for violence reasons, there's no blood, the wound is cauterized. And in the movies (which are kid friendly) you see storm troopers get sliced up all the time.

It's cool that they made unleashed have accurate force powers and all for once, but couldn't they have gone the extra step and done the same for light sabers?
skiinian_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 skiinian_basic
Member since 2002 • 462 Posts
I'd mostly agree, except I really liked Jedi Outcast's light sabers. You could throw them and i just felt they were a little more satisfying than a club. Not to mention the ability to use force powers. Always loved force-pushing people off of edges lol:twisted:
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#3 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I'd mostly agree, except I really liked Jedi Outcast's light sabers. You could throw them and i just felt they were a little more satisfying than a club. Not to mention the ability to use force powers. Always loved force-pushing people off of edges lol:twisted:skiinian_basic
If your saber hit right, you could slice of an enemies arm or head in jedi acadamy,
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
they should get itagaki to make starwars games!
dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
play the dark forces/jedi knight series.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
the same reason they don't have Tyranid-Zerg crossovers.
Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Ket87
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
Simply because Star Wars games never go above a T rating. Even in the movies only brielfy are lightsabers ever even show dismembering people since the movies are all PG and typically its always two people with lightsabers fighting in the first place so its just a regular sword fight. If there was an M rated SW game it would totally be sweet to see some hardcore dismemberment which would be what you expect. Though another reason for why lightsabers always suck is because if they were true to the source material they would also be incredibly overpowered and unstoppable and the game would be so easy it would be broken.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Jedi Knight did a good job.

But making lightsabers strong poses a very difficult design decision, especially if the majority of your combatants arent Lightsaber users themselves. The nature of the Star Wars universe makes no grades or levels of lightsabers judging one is stronger than the other. Even if it were the case, each lightsaber is meant and is special for each owner making them unlikely to switch over.

To keep it true to the Star Wars universe, you are essentially giving the player the strongest weapon in the game at the start. You can delay giving him a lightsaber at all like KOTOR did, but that really cheapens the entire Star Wars experience of playing a Jedi.

The entirety of the game has to be done knowing the player will never upgrade or change his weapons under most circumstances. Thats pretty hard to do whether its an RPG or an action game since you've taken away the easiest form of character progression.

The easiest option is to make light sabers somewhat weak with force powers being very strong. Since that is something that is easy to make multiple levels of and create various types split between dark and light, its a heck of alot easier designing games around that.

I think that most developers would fail attempting to do what you are asking for. While it might be a bit more faithful to the Star Wars universe and give a better feeling to light sabers, it would probably end up as a boring repetative game, or an extremely frustrating game where the enemies and environments are designed to be cheap against you considering the strength of your saber.

Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts
You could in Jedi Knight Outcast with a cheat turned on. One hit kills that cleaved people in two.
-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

You guys should play Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2.

It was easily the greatest Star Wars game ever conceived.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Jedi Knight did a good job.

But making lightsabers strong poses a very difficult design decision, especially if the majority of your combatants arent Lightsaber users themselves. The nature of the Star Wars universe makes no grades or levels of lightsabers judging one is stronger than the other. Even if it were the case, each lightsaber is meant and is special for each owner making them unlikely to switch over.

To keep it true to the Star Wars universe, you are essentially giving the player the strongest weapon in the game at the start. You can delay giving him a lightsaber at all like KOTOR did, but that really cheapens the entire Star Wars experience of playing a Jedi.

The entirety of the game has to be done knowing the player will never upgrade or change his weapons under most circumstances. Thats pretty hard to do whether its an RPG or an action game since you've taken away the easiest form of character progression.

The easiest option is to make light sabers somewhat weak with force powers being very strong. Since that is something that is easy to make multiple levels of and create various types split between dark and light, its a heck of alot easier designing games around that.

I think that most developers would fail attempting to do what you are asking for. While it might be a bit more faithful to the Star Wars universe and give a better feeling to light sabers, it would probably end up as a boring repetative game, or an extremely frustrating game where the enemies and environments are designed to be cheap against you considering the strength of your saber.

XaosII

A game does not need weapon upgrades to be an RPG. Jedi do get stronger and more skilled. That should be more than enough RPG elements for a jedi game. Also, while most enemies aren't a threat to a jedi, there are plenty that are like destroyer droids, aliens, or of couse other jedi.

A jedi game doesn't have to be 'walk in to room and fight hordes of weaklings'. That's fine on occasion, but anything in mass should be able to take down jedi. Just look at order 66.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

I'd mostly agree, except I really liked Jedi Outcast's light sabers. You could throw them and i just felt they were a little more satisfying than a club. Not to mention the ability to use force powers. Always loved force-pushing people off of edges lol:twisted:skiinian_basic

Agreed, The Outcast games had awesome lightsabers, I had way to much fun in the second one with a lightsaber.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
A game does not need weapon upgrades to be an RPG. Jedi do get stronger and more skilled. That should be more than enough RPG elements for a jedi game. Also, while most enemies aren't a threat to a jedi, there are plenty that are like destroyer droids, aliens, or of couse other jedi.

A jedi game doesn't have to be 'walk in to room and fight hordes of weaklings'. That's fine on occasion, but anything in mass should be able to take down jedi. Just look at order 66.goblaa

A hallmark of RPG is character progression. Every RPG game has that. Its usually done through a combination of stats, items, and story. Giving out the lightsaber early cuts off a veary easy means of item progression. Its the same reason KOTOR and Jedi Knight didnt start you off with a light saber.

An RPG doesn't NEED item progression, but it makes it a heck of alot easier to design by having it.

The only real way to show a jedi getting stronger and more skilled is by giving them more/better force powers or better stats. The problem with giving just better stats is that its rather lame. Its kinda boring when your only reward for leveling up is +5 to strength or something. It isn't anywhere near as exciting as, say, getting a new force power.

But then you run into the issue that if the force powers arent stronger than your light saber, then you've effectively got nothing good, and you'll rely mostly on your saber with little to look forward to in terms of seeing something new. If the force power proves to be too strong, then the lightsaber doesn't feel like it would in the movies, giving you little reason to use your saber. Its a delicate balance.

Your statement of Jedi being able to be killed by a mass of things is true, but im arguing more from a basic game design perspective the real issue. While you can do the things you've suggested, you can only do it so many times before its repetative and/or frustrating.

Like i said, Jedi Knight does a decent job, but comes dangerously close to the frustrating side of things for the exact reasons i mentioned. You are often pitted against storm troopers bombarding you from turrets in unreachable places or cliffs with lava that instantly kill you. These are done to balance you overpoweredness as a Jedi.

Im not saying what you want can't be done, buts its a surprisingly difficult thing to balance and design.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Am I the only one bothered by there being no starwars games where light sabers act like light sabers? In every starwars game the light sabers act essentially like sticks that you club people with. Aren't light sabers supposed to cut? And it can't be for violence reasons, there's no blood, the wound is cauterized. And in the movies (which are kid friendly) you see storm troopers get sliced up all the time.

It's cool that they made unleashed have accurate force powers and all for once, but couldn't they have gone the extra step and done the same for light sabers? goblaa

You never played any of the Jedi Knight games. I've only played Jedi Academy, but the light saber combat in that game is what you're looking for. Limbs fly left and right.

Plus, the combat is really satisfying. Its not based off of combos or anything like that, its all just swings. You have like 6 basic swings, a few special swings and various stances. You have to use them all effectively. Its less like a button masher and more of a fencing simulator.

You can beat base level people just randomly doing stuff, but you'll get cut down in like 10 seconds by a decent sith (which the game gives you nonstop in boss levels and the later stages) if you didn't actually learn what stance is strong against what, and how to actually fight smart. As the game goes one, you never really have a physical strength advantage over people. You can always die from one well placed hit. When you beat someone in a saber fight, its not because of stats, its because you put up a better fight and you knew more about sabering than they did.

And the force powers are still there and they are done well and are easy to implement into combat. I always liked that in Jedi Academy, you could get killed by storm troopers if they were out numbered, similar to Order 66. However, if you were like Obi-Wan and Yoda, you could be surrounded by like 15 people and get out of it by using push, saber throws, acrobatics, and ACCURATE sabering. Every stormtrooper can basically be killed with one swing. But they can do basic dodges. If you're just spinning the analog stick hoping to hit something, you will get shot in the face alot. But if you know what you're doing, you can tear them apart. The only issue with that system was that lightning was way to strong and grip was too strong. You could button mash your way through if you didn't have any issue spamming the hell out of those two moves. But then you'd go online and when you fight someone and they get taken down with one hit on a regular basis, its clear who actually learned the system and who just hit lightning/grip non-stop.

BillGreen68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BillGreen68
Member since 2004 • 12361 Posts
That's exactly why I'm not buying The Force Unleashed, and also why Lucas Arts needs to allow an M rated SW game. Jedi Outcast and Academy had it right.
Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

LOL @ dumbest post I have seen all week! It's like asking why bullets in most games don't immediately kill, or why dead enemies disappeart, or why cars survive whead-on collisions in racing games.

Come on...

Have people in SW become so silly?

farrell2k

Bullets don't kill immediately in real life, unless its a head shot, but in games generally headshots are fatal too.

Dead enemies or "people" do disappear.... it's called decomposing

Cars surviving head on collisions?? Forza 2

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Jedi Knight Series (Outcast especially)

Jedi Academy.

Lightsabers, dueling and force powers have never been better.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="farrell2k"]

LOL @ dumbest post I have seen all week! It's like asking why bullets in most games don't immediately kill, or why dead enemies disappeart, or why cars survive whead-on collisions in racing games.

Come on...

Have people in SW become so silly?

Veterngamer

Bullets don't kill immediately in real life, unless its a head shot, but in games generally headshots are fatal too.

Dead enemies or "people" do disappear.... it's called decomposing

Cars surviving head on collisions?? Forza 2

Bullets in real life?....

Well it depends on what type of bullet and where you are hit....

Besides there are plenty of games that simulate real combat, and bullet penatration, though they are all on the PC.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
In Jedi Knight they burn't walls when they touched them, chopped limbs and heads off.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Star Wars: Battlefront 2 had some pretty good lightsaber combat.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

they should get itagaki to make starwars games!Silenthps
Ninja Gaiden Black had a light saber, actually

dooly420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dooly420
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]they should get itagaki to make starwars games!whocares4peace

no it didn't. it had a plasma saber.
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
The KOTOR games had lightsaber upgrading with the crystals. Thats like the same thing isn't it? It starts out at like 21 and goes up from there. By endgame you're expected to be using a full group of Jedi in both games anyways, so it should be easy to balance for that.
whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]they should get itagaki to make starwars games!dooly420

no it didn't. it had a plasma saber.

A Plasma MKII saber, to be precise. But it was just a lightsaber rip off.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#26 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

I think he could do quite well if lucas arts would be okay with a mature game. I get that it sears the wound shut and what not, but I doubt it gets all of it right?

Anyways, all of the star wars moves have been in ninja gaiden really, so all he'd have to do is change Ryu to Yoda or something. Lol, that actually sounds kinda bad ass. Lets not even change the game. We'll just call it Yoda Vs. Ninjas

Sorry, im tired, and im rambling.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

The only real way to show a jedi getting stronger and more skilled is by giving them more/better force powers or better stats. The problem with giving just better stats is that its rather lame. Its kinda boring when your only reward for leveling up is +5 to strength or something. It isn't anywhere near as exciting as, say, getting a new force power.

XaosII

I disagree.

Everyone's forgetting lightsabers require the utmost concentration to wield. I reckon there could be a risk/reward system in which you must be absolutely skillfull when using the lightsaber so as to not go ahead and cut your own limb off. It's more suited to an action game, but it can be suited towards an RPG. I mean, I thought about that in three seconds, so someone take ten seconds to think of an RPG version of misusing a lightsaber.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
g_saberrealisticcombat on jedi knight 2: jedi outcast. turns your saber into a one-hit dismemberment tool. doing a melee combo with force speed on would usually have a stormtrooper lying in like 6 or 7 pieces at your feet.
bannermanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bannermanner
Member since 2003 • 484 Posts

It's cool that they made unleashed have accurate force powers and all for once, but couldn't they have gone the extra step and done the same for light sabers? goblaa

There IS a dismemberment cheat in Jedi Outcast.

Killer2401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Killer2401
Member since 2006 • 3431 Posts
The Force Unleashed 2???
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
I think Dark Forces 2 was the first SW game where you could do that. I remember when I first played it I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
the games would be too easy if the lightsabers just cut through enemies. it'd be realistic to the point where you might not have fun at all.
Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts
In Jedi Knight they burn't walls when they touched them, chopped limbs and heads off.Kez1984
The Jedi Knight games were so badass.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts

Jedi Outcast

/thread

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tylendal
The lighsabre combat in Roque Squadron 3: Rebel Strike wasn't too bad. Actually, like all of the on foot portions it was fairly terrible, but at least the lighsabers gave a nice feeling of lethalness.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Am I the only one bothered by there being no starwars games where light sabers act like light sabers? In every starwars game the light sabers act essentially like sticks that you club people with. Aren't light sabers supposed to cut?

goblaa

The lightsaber seals the wound at the same time it cuts. So there should not be much bleeding.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]they should get itagaki to make starwars games!falconclan

I think he could do quite well if lucas arts would be okay with a mature game. I get that it sears the wound shut and what not, but I doubt it gets all of it right?

You would be correct

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]they should get itagaki to make starwars games!falconclan

Why not? For all we know the heat of the lighsaber could cause severe tissue damage several inches past where it actually cut. If it charred the flesh deep enough, no, there wouldn't be any blood.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
that would be a good idea
J0k3rs_Ac3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 J0k3rs_Ac3
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts
I completely agree with you I feel the same way
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

the games would be too easy if the lightsabers just cut through enemies. it'd be realistic to the point where you might not have fun at all.Tiefster

Not really, Jedi Knight 2 was not easy by far from having that.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

Why dont guns actually act like guns in FPS :?

I know why !! Because if they did it wouldnt be FUN anymore. :|

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Senor_Kami

[QUOTE="Tiefster"]the games would be too easy if the lightsabers just cut through enemies. it'd be realistic to the point where you might not have fun at all.ArisShadows

Yeah. The balance is that if a Jedi gets shot thats like half your life bar instantly. Not to mention that in Jedi Knight you often fight against a dark jedi (who can kill you in one well placed hit) and hordes of well armed stormtroopers at the same time.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="skiinian_basic"]I'd mostly agree, except I really liked Jedi Outcast's light sabers. You could throw them and i just felt they were a little more satisfying than a club. Not to mention the ability to use force powers. Always loved force-pushing people off of edges lol:twisted:monkeytoes61
If your saber hit right, you could slice of an enemies arm or head in jedi acadamy,

wroung onley possible if you had a dismemberment mod which allowed you to cut heads,legs, and torsos off

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]

[QUOTE="Tiefster"]the games would be too easy if the lightsabers just cut through enemies. it'd be realistic to the point where you might not have fun at all.Senor_Kami

Yeah. The balance is that if a Jedi gets shot thats like half your life bar instantly. Not to mention that in Jedi Knight you often fight against a dark jedi (who can kill you in one well placed hit) and hordes of well armed stormtroopers at the same time.

You guys must have sucked at Jedi Knight 2. The only times where i died would be in the platforming elements.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
JKA + Mods = score.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Senor_Kami
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="ArisShadows"]

[QUOTE="Tiefster"]the games would be too easy if the lightsabers just cut through enemies. it'd be realistic to the point where you might not have fun at all.insanejedi

You guys must have sucked at Jedi Knight 2. The only times where i died would be in the platforming elements.

Awesome!!!!!

Do you use lightning and grip? Those powers break the game. Bad guys rarely block grip and you often fight in dangerous areas. You can kill pretty much anyone in two seconds by gripping and throwing them off a ledge. You can clear out a whole room of dark jedi in 3 seconds if you hold down the lightning attack. I don't think the developers did any testing at all when they put those in, or if they did they added them to casualize the game so that even if you suck you can beat any enemy you come against.