Why are all these companies like Mad Box and Atari looking into consoles instead of handhelds?

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

Seriously, if they can make a dedicated handheld with some solid ports that fits in the pocket than... wouldn’t that sell better than a console in a bloated market.

Hell Atari or mad box could have even partnered with Microsoft getting ports of games like halo, gears , etc on their system in exchange for using their ips for console/pc exclusives.

Obviously they would not go any where near smart phone game or switch sells but if it is portable enough and not a hybrid it should be able to carve some niche place in the market where people wanted dedicated controls.

I miss the vita tbh and while the back touch pad made browsing the web cool it was a useless gimmick for most games. If someone were to make a proper l2 r2 buttoned handheld that was cheap it could sell decently.

I’m talking maybe 720p graphics (before you get your pitch forks hear me out). The screen should be smaller than the switch to fit in a pocket while still having good fidelity.

Specs should be decent enough to run 360/ps3 graphics while keep price really cheap.

Do you think handhelds would be a better choice for these doomed consoles entering the system wars?

marley7game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 marley7game
Member since 2019 • 45 Posts
Loading Video...

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@dark_drag765: Depends on who you ask. I only game on a big TV screen and hate handhelds, so my answer is obvious.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

because phones exist?

Who will actually compete with Nintendo? They have a massive list of handheld AND console IP's to dominate that space with.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Go ask MS. They knew right upfront they would lose the handheld market and Nintendo has been in handheld business for decades, it's futile to go into the business now. Mobile phones are now becoming mainstream, handhelds are almost facing extinction. The reason it works for Switch is due to it's hybrid as a portable console.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Because they fear the mighty 3DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts
@pmanden said:

@dark_drag765: Depends on who you ask. I only game on a big TV screen and hate handhelds, so my answer is obvious.

Same here. I might buy Atari's new console and Intellivision's new console. I would not buy them if they were handhelds because I don't like playing games on handhelds. So, no, I don't think they would do better if they were handhelds. For all of the additional sales that they might get with a handheld, they would also lose sales from people that don't want a handheld as well.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dark_drag765

How can someone hate handhelds? You can adjust the screen. Also some handhelds like the PSP2000 and 3000 have tv out (vita should have had it but Sony got greedy with the Pstv).

The switch if you consider it a handheld instead of a hybrid does tv out.

If one feels like laying down unless you have a rail which can change the TVs position it becomes uncomfortable to view.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think the reason is that NOBODY has ever succeeded in handhelds besides nintendo. atari, sega, neo geo, sony. no one has had true success besides nintendo.

it's the hardest market to dominate in.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dark_drag765

@KBFloYd:

The first psp was a very successful system a respectable second place finish

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@KBFloYd:

It why switch not dominate ps4 because market to hard to overtake Sony. Even with handheld Nintendo cannot do it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

@dark_drag765 said:

How can someone hate handhelds? You can adjust the screen. Also some handhelds like the PSP2000 and 3000 have tv out (vita should have had it but Sony got greedy with the Pstv).

The switch if you consider it a handheld instead of a hybrid does tv out.

If one feels like laying down unless you have a rail which can change the TVs position it becomes uncomfortable to view.

People disliking handhelds is a matter of preference, just like some gamers prefer to play on a home console instead of a PC even if the PC has superior features that consoles lack.

Personally, I like playing games on handhelds, consoles, and PCs. As long I can have a comfortable and enjoyable experience in the devices I play, that what matters to me. I am not insistent that games be played on one device or another like some on this forum do.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@x_karen_x said:

@KBFloYd:

It why switch not dominate ps4 because market to hard to overtake Sony. Even with handheld Nintendo cannot do it.

yea, call of duty/GTA/madden/fifa is more popular than mario/zelda/pokemon.

sad to say but its true.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@KBFloYd:

No this I do not think so. These nintendo character is the company and Nintendo is sole entity. It survive from these characters.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

i think the reason is that NOBODY has ever succeeded in handhelds besides nintendo. atari, sega, neo geo, sony. no one has had true success besides nintendo.

it's the hardest market to dominate in.

Not exactly true about Sony. Sony was the first company to ever succeeded with the handheld market, the PSP was very successful and it proves Nintendo can be beat in the handheld market. Nintendo never had a monopoly in the handheld market, just lack of true competition but Sony came through with the PSP.

Sony just got stupid with the Vita is what's the problem.

The_Old_Gods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Old_Gods
Member since 2019 • 9 Posts

I would say competing with Nintendo in the handheld market is a bad idea. **cough** Vita **cough**

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I think the Atari box will fail spectacularly nothing behind is appealing.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@dark_drag765: Microsoft will not partner with Mad box or Atari because it would not make sense financially. Exclusives help sell consoles, Microsoft wants to sell Xbox’s not Mad Boxes or Atari’s. Of course Mad Box and Atari would have to pay Microsoft for the rights and both companies combined cannot afford the price Microsoft would ask for.