Why Amazon wont sell Nintendo hardware products?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

The Amazon vs. Nintendo squabble about selling 3DS consoles has been dragging on for about a year. Supposedly, it all started off last year when the 3DS launch was less than stellar. Amazon had a lot of unsold 3DS consoles sitting around their warehouses, and they decided to start demanding a bigger wholesaler discount equal to what Wal-Mart receives. (The Amazon vs. Wal-Mart soap opera is for another thread.)

Anyway, this request was flatly denied. Amazon requested permission to sell the consoles at a discount. Denied again. To strengthen their case, and try to bully their way into the bigger discount, Amazon complained that they have to replace a lot of the systems because of the screen scratching problem, and starting making a big production about sending each and every one back to Nintendo, wanting a full & immediate credit, which started to overwhelm Nintendos intake for seconds merchandise, which started to make Nintendo really mad, because Amazon was sending over units that had such slight, almost nonexistent problems, that they were not used to being bothered with such trivial things. (Supposedly.) Previously, and for other consoles, Amazon just sold returned (working) consoles at a discount on their Warehouse Deals page, which Nintendo doesnt like, but Amazon claimed that they were losing ALL their profit margin on 3DSes with shipping faulty systems back to NOA, as well as dealing with unhappy customers that were leaving and/or not spending as much as previously.

Nintendo smelled bull (and rightly so!) and fired back and said that there WAS no problem with the scratching, and there was no way they were going to piss off all the other big wholesalers by giving Amazon a sweeter deal (when Nintendo already considers Amazon the scourge of the business world for not having any brick & mortar stores which is why Amazon wasnt getting the Wal-Mart discount in the first place!) Now keep in mind, this was all going down right about the time the price drop was announced, which was another thing that pissed off Amazon. Nobody was buying 3DSes after the price drop was announced, and Amazon does not like having a warehouse full of crap thats not moving. Their business model is structured around moving out cold merchandise by marking stuff down (which of course Nintendo will not allow them to do on consoles.) Then, Nintendo poured gasoline on the fire by permitting Wal-Mart (and only Wal-Mart) to sell consoles at the new, lowered price a couple of days BEFORE the official date of the price drop, without losing their margin on the old stock. Amazon has (reportedly) not bought 3DS consoles direct from NOA since that day. (Though theyve occasionally picked up some 3DSes from other wholesalers.)

Neither party cares to detail whether it is Amazon refusing to buy, or Nintendo refusing to sell. Rumor has it that its Nintendo that put Amazon on the **** list, but Ive heard at least one pretty well-informed Amazon employee that says that its their buyer thats doing it. I tend to think its Amazon."

http://www.manbitesnintendog.com/rumor-why-amazon-wont-sell-nintendo-hardware-products/

"

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Too bad, buy from somewhere else I guess.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

but I like both companies D:

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

amazon ripped me of any way , never buying from them again , they sold me a broken sega cd in which they claim was pristine condition!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

I side with amazon by default.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50496 Posts

amazon ripped me of any way , never buying from them again , they sold me a broken sega cd in which they claim was pristine condition!

mariokart64fan
Why would Amazon sell Sega CD? You bought from an individual who sold through amazon.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Its Nintendo's fault. Everyone complained about the scratched screens. The system was DEAD in the water for a good several months after launch. Amazon has a very liberal return policy, and there are a lot of picky shoppers out there. Why should Amazon be stuck with so many returned 3DS systems, and why was Nintendo so reluctant to satisfy the customer or the retailers? I dont blame Amazon one bit for not wanting to deal with Nintendo anymore.

I pre-purchased my WiiU from somewhere else, not a big deal. Im sure Nintendo will sell just as many systems with or without Amazon.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

I side with amazon by default.

Chutebox

Me also. Amazon has only ever given me good deals, and when I was f*cked over by a retailer on Amazon that I bought a PS3 from and never received it, Amazon refunded my money right away.

Also, the 3DS is kinda slow and sh*tty. It can't even multitask, even phones multitask. Also, the music player on it sucks.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Chutebox

Why would Amazon sell Sega CD? You bought from an individual who sold through amazon.

Lol people can't read.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

There's still dispute between them?

Whatever, I'll just get nintendo stuff elsewhere.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Amazon's loss. The Wii U is selling out, and they're not gonna get a slice of that pie unless something changes.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Amazon's loss. The Wii U is selling out, and they're not gonna get a slice of that pie unless something changes.

DarkLink77

They still sell it in other regions. So they don't lose out completely.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I think its only US Amazon. I know Amazon UK sells it.
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
Maybe something to do with the 3DS price drop and people getting pissed off at Amazon?
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
This thread reminded me to order Ken's Rage.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Nintendo being Nintendo.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Nintendo is looking more and more like the evil empire M$.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

gameofthering

They still sell it in other regions. So they don't lose out completely.

No. But they're still losing money.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Too bad, buy from somewhere else I guess.SaltyMeatballs

JLCrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JLCrogue
Member since 2004 • 6042 Posts

mariokart64fan

I highly doubt Amazon sells Sega CDs. You most likely got it from some other company, but bought it through Amazon. You need to take it up with that other company that sold you the Sega CD, Amazon wasn't the seller. In this case Amazon was acting like eBay, you don't buy from eBay, you buy through eBay.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
It's seems far more likely to be Amazon US, than Nintendo, as Nintendo are still supplying Amazon stores outside of the US. Ah well, it's Amazon's choice, if they want to lose out on the almost completely sold out WiiU pre-orders, as well as 3DS sales, in the run up to christmas that's there problem, Nintendo aren't losing anything by not shipping to Amazon, the systems they would have sent them will just end up at other retails instead.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
amazon and any other retail should be allowed to sell anything they want at a lower price if they choose so specially if they aren't selling well. or Nintendo needs to take it back... i love amazon and if that's the story i hope they never work with them again.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Amazon > Nintendo

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

mariokart64fan

you probably bought that from an independent seller under Amazon and not from Amazon.... =/

I doubt Amazon would have Sega CD's in stock these days, used or not.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Gue1

you probably bought that from an independent seller under Amazon and not from Amazon.... =/

mariokart64fan has a time machine... duh!!!!!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Gue1

Even then If he returned it and if that independent sell didn't follow return policy and amazon would of dealt with them them self's. All independent sellers are required to have same return policy has amazon them self's do. I use amazon as my main to go place and returned stuff for all types of reason and I honesty believe amazon has one of best customer services in retailers
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

mariokart64fan

Uhhh. What :lol::lol:

You bought from 3rd party seller, which is same thing as buying from someone on ebay.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 2Chalupas

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

GreenGoblin2099

mariokart64fan has a time machine... duh!!!!!

Time machine wouldn't even do it. Amazon.com didn't yet exist when the Sega CD was on the market, so they've probably NEVER had a stock. I know they had some odd stock of Sega Dreamcast for a long time after that system was gone from stores, and I think they even RE-stocked it from a lost stockpile as recently as a just a handful of years ago. But Sega CD? Nahhhh.

Sega CD launch, what 1992?

Amazon.com launch 1995 (and it was only books back then, don't even know when they started selling electronics).

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 2Chalupas

amazon and any other retail should be allowed to sell anything they want at a lower price if they choose so specially if they aren't selling well. or Nintendo needs to take it back... i love amazon and if that's the story i hope they never work with them again. k2theswiss

Actually it's pretty common to have such agreements. Not everyone is in position to ENFORCE them, but it's not a coincidence that products from the likes of Apple and Nintendo are the same price everywhere and rarely go on sale.

It's called a "MAP" (minimum advertised price).

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I could have sworn we had the exact same thread only a few days ago...

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts
Amazon had tons of 3DS systems that they couldn't sell because the system was a flop out of the gate. Nintendo prohibited Amazon from selling them at a lower price, and refused to buy back unsold stock and defective ones. Storage space is really expensive for Amazon, so Amazon had no choice but to take a massive loss by destroying all the unsold 3DS systems to make space for other products that customers will buy. Obviously Nintendo is in the wrong here. Their arrogance and total lack of regard for re-sellers pissed Amazon off, so Amazon wrote them off for good.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Well it is easy for me to side with Amazon. Nintendo sucks to me. Last good console they had was the Gamecube. I find it funny that Amazon isn't buying 3DS's from Nintendo.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107

amazon ripped me of any way , never buying from them again , they sold me a broken sega cd in which they claim was pristine condition!/P>mariokart64fan

How much?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Sounds like an unfortunate situation, but I'd side with Amazon from what you put in the OP.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts
That sucks, amazon is my favorite retailer. They were the first place I looked when they started taking wii-u pre orders. Oh well, as long as they still sell their software I suppose.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Ah well, it's Amazon's choice, if they want to lose out on the almost completely sold out WiiU pre-orders, as well as 3DS sales, in the run up to christmas that's there problemspike6958
Apparently they aren't loosing much, if they're not worried about them.

Honestly..I doubt WiiU and 3DS would sell through Amazon even 10% of what any Kindle will do this year.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107
That sucks, amazon is my favorite retailer. They were the first place I looked when they started taking wii-u pre orders. Oh well, as long as they still sell their software I suppose.Wild_man_22
Funny they seems to sell the software.