Why 3DS is beating PS Vita

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#51 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@treedoor said:

Because the 3DS is priced to be able to compete with tablets, and also has its own system-selling software. Parents see a 3DS with Mario, or Pokemon as a better alternative for kids than a tablet with doodle jump and temple run (though I'm sure many parents are still just letting their kids use their tablets while they're out running errands).

PS Vita, on the other hand, is more expensive than a good android tablet (as well as the 3DS), and also has barely anything on it that people find value in.

If Sony were to make it a goal to get an exclusive, system-selling game for the PS Vita then they'd have no problems, but they aren't really trying to do that. They're just getting indie titles on it, and a few niche games. Anytime they do put some effort into making a game for it it's typically a stripped down version of a console franchise.

Sony needs their own Pokemon, and they probably shouldn't rely on 3rd parties to make it for them.

Vita is only $30 more than 3DS now. I really wish that the vita was doing as well as the 3DS, it's so much better than it in terms of hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Now with the PS4/ Vita , you can play PS4 games on the Vita and vice versa (with Vita TV). Not only is this concept old (GBA/ GameCube link cable and GBA player) but Playstation fans are using cross-play as the Vita's selling point.

Shouldn't the Vita be sold as it's own handheld that gets it's own experiences rather as something that can play console games?

Exclusive games such as Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus SHOULD be a handheld's selling point.

TheLastGameBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TheLastGameBoy
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I consider myself a hardcore Nintendo fan. But any games that I own for my 3DS (which are many).... given the choice I would rather play them on my Vita.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#54 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@crimsonman1245 said:

@RogueStatus28 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Two reasons.

1. Overall startup cost (System and overpriced memory cards).

2. Games. Most of the "good games" for it are nothing more than watered down PS3 games. Most don't want to buy a Vita to have a watered down PS3 experience, they buy it to have a completely different experience.

There's this mindset with Vita owners: "they're console games but you can play them on the go!" however this was the problem with the PSP (lesser degree), too many console ports and not as many unique experiences.

Nintendo has their home consoles, they have their handhelds, they've been working one in the same since GameBoy/ NES. With Sony you don't need to get their handhelds because you're basically getting the same damn thing.

3DS has 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, multiple Mario spinoffs, Smash Bros, 2D Zelda, 3D Zelda, and lots of ports/remakes of console games. How are those not watered down compared to the Wii U versions?

Because they are not mechanically trying to emulate the console experience, which Vita games are, and the Vita games suffer for it.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss should have been a great game by all accounts, but it is Uncharted without what makes Uncharted so good, simply because it tried to emulate the big screen Uncharted experience on a handheld, instead of doing its own thing.

3DS games on the other hand, such as, say, Mario 3D Land, or Mario Kart 7, embrace the limitations of the system, and then do their own thing within those constraints. This is not something Vita games usually do. When they do do that- such as Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice, or Killzone Mercenary- the games come out excellent. But most of the time, Vita games simply fall into the trap of trying to be too much like their console counterparts. That, or they're year+ old ports and/or indie games.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@crimsonman1245 said:

@RogueStatus28 said:
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Two reasons.

1. Overall startup cost (System and overpriced memory cards).

2. Games. Most of the "good games" for it are nothing more than watered down PS3 games. Most don't want to buy a Vita to have a watered down PS3 experience, they buy it to have a completely different experience.

There's this mindset with Vita owners: "they're console games but you can play them on the go!" however this was the problem with the PSP (lesser degree), too many console ports and not as many unique experiences.

Nintendo has their home consoles, they have their handhelds, they've been working one in the same since GameBoy/ NES. With Sony you don't need to get their handhelds because you're basically getting the same damn thing.

3DS has 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, multiple Mario spinoffs, Smash Bros, 2D Zelda, 3D Zelda, and lots of ports/remakes of console games. How are those not watered down compared to the Wii U versions?

The difference is that the 3DS has a lot of good games that aren't watered down ports to go along with their watered down ports and the Vita doesn't. Most of the Vita's good games are watered down ports with very few good games that aren't ports. I don't have a 3DS either, but if I was to buy a handheld today, it would be the 3DS XL.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I'll put it simple.

Nintendo marketed to Nintendo fans. Sony marketed to the average consumer.

The average consumer is a MUCH BIGGER base, but Nintendo fans are much more loyal.

CamoBullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#57 CamoBullo
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

@treedoor said:

Sony needs their own Pokemon, and they probably shouldn't rely on 3rd parties to make it for them.

The sad thing is that their Pokemon was third-party: Monster Hunter. The developers decided to branch out after the Japan-exclusive Portable 3rd and chose the 3DS for Monster Hunter 4 (which has worked out very well in their favour). Sony doesn't seem interested in making their own game that would appeal to a broader audience for the Vita.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@drekula2 said:

I'll put it simple.

Nintendo marketed to Nintendo fans. Sony marketed to the average consumer.

The average consumer is a MUCH BIGGER base, but Nintendo fans are much more loyal.

Incorrect, as a matter of fact, Nintendo actively tried to poach the PSP userbase with the 3DS, securing games like Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, Monster Hunter, Dead or Alive, Tekken, Street Fighter, and so on.

The 3DS was marketed to gamers after its initial failure, and Nintendo backed up the marketing with some f*cking impressive games that appealed to said gamers. This is something Sony has consistently failed to do with its handhelds.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@crimsonman1245: Can you explain how the 2D or 3D mario's are water downed? Likewise, the 2D or 3D Zelda? I don't know about Smash Bros. because I haven't seen much of it, but those 4 games you mentioned don't feel watered down. They're very high quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

I for sure think this is Sony's last handheld. The 3DS was pretty successful so I think Nintendo will continue in the handheld market. There will always be room for Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda in the mobile category.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#61 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's fun to see Char actually be able to make a valid opinion on the Vita's library now.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

@drekula2 said:

n@MonsieurX said:

Because games.

what is your pic anyway? hitler as a dancer?

Dont you dare make fun of okama kenpo

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@j2zon2591 said:

Nintendo has the most popular legacy IPs specially for a handheld. Sony has none in equivalence as far as sales go.

VITA is much closer to the traditional home console and requires higher development cost.

Top that off with a small userbase looking least attractive to publishers and the current mobile trends and the VITA's got barely any defense.

On top of all that, the Vita fails as a portable system because it simply isn't very portable. You have to buy a case and have very large pockets just to take it out of your home.

I disagree. I don't find it much worse than an XL even with a thin VITA condom.

AFAIK, XL sells much more than the OG. I could be wrong though.

There's even the PSV 2K w/c IMO, too, isn't really much worse than the XL as far as pocketability goes.

I also don't think a faceplate is mandatory as most people probably don't (touchscreen smartphone era today).

The size is no way near an issue compared to the lack of compelling software.

It's pretty subjective since we don't all use the same pants.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Simple: The Vita isn't relevant. The 3DS is.

Vita will do well in Japan but that's about it.

jim1174

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jim1174
Member since 2003 • 301 Posts

Nintendo is going to send the vita to the grave just like it did to the other handeld systems. Did you know that between 1989 and 1998 there were 6 other handhelds that were color and nintendo beat them all with there black & white handheld

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

@RogueStatus28 said:
(Persona would do amazing on 3DS, get on it Sega)

Dude, no.
Just no.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Guess more people prefer the 3DS games library..

I own a PSV and honestly there are many great games available.. hopefully Sony will improve their support with more exclusives !!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

cheaper price and better library really helped the 3DS sell, and games that attracted people, all really helped turn around a disasterous launch

the Vita has neither really, it's pricier and the Vita has expensive proprietary memory cards, broken promises of UMD conversion programs, hopefully Sony does something to turn things around

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

It's simple, better games and the lack of the bullshit memory cards, Also, this may seem a little stupid, but the 3DS platform seems to have a wider range in design choices.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

because it has the developers support, simple.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#71 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Sagem28 said:

@RogueStatus28 said:

Dude, no.

Just no.

Why would the Name Brand detriment on the Game?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Sagem28 said:

@RogueStatus28 said:

Dude, no.

Just no.

Why would the Name Brand detriment on the Game?

someone told me nintendo would make it less morbid and more happy...bring the rating down to rated 6 for everyone.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Games.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

someone told me nintendo would make it less morbid and more happy...bring the rating down to rated 6 for everyone.

Tough to say. They could bring it lower, but Persona definitely has those moments... i.e. Kanji/Rise.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@charizard1605 said:id:

People don't remember the hate 3ds got its first year?

What does that have to do with the topic?

You don't know?

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Games and price.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts

Ps vita is not trying to be a multi media device you are completely wrong. It is not even a viable option to be a multi media device with memory cards so expensive and game downloads being large in size. You need all of it for games. The reason is basically vita appeals to console gamers with its games and most console gamers aren't that interested in playing a similar game on handhelds.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mrintro said:

@charizard1605 said:id:

People don't remember the hate 3ds got its first year?

What does that have to do with the topic?

You don't know?

What does the hate the 3DS got in its first year have to do with the 3DS beating the Vita now based on its multiple strengths?