appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I've seen copyright infringement claims succeed on FAR less than this LOL. Skip to 1:12 in the second video.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Oh noes, big deal.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

It sounds similar. I will be honest, Mario games post 64 has had flavors from music I have heard before so it is not particularly new.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 appariti0n

@Pedro: Yeah, this is somewhat tongue in cheek, as every musician borrows from others somewhat.

But if we're to compare Robin Thicke's blurred lines to the Marvin Gaye song he was accused of ripping off, and actually lost a lawsuit on, there's less similarities there than these two songs imo.

I guess it's fair, since the Shinra building music from FF7 certainly seems "heavily inspired" by Kashmir from Led Zeppelin lol.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

It could be rip off, it could be coincidence honestly. The longer time goes on the harder it will be to create a completely original melody.

There's a song in Cuphead with a phrase that sounds like it was ripped right from Super Mario World. In an interview the composer basically said "I had no idea, I never played Mario World, I just composed what was normal in that era/style of music and it's a coincidence." And Nintendo never did anything about it as far as I know.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By appariti0n

@drummerdave9099: True, however, the cuphead developer may have said that to avoid being charged.

Part of the reason Robin Thicke lost his case to the estate of Marvin Gaye, was that someone (forget who) that collaborated on the song made the mistake of openly admitting he was "inspired by" or "channeling" Marvin Gaye.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Remember avatar and dbz?

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I think kai got sued or something and they had to switch all there music to japanese for kai that really sucked

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

Nintendo also completely ripped-off Sega...

After Burner (1987, Sega)

Loading Video...

Star Fox (1993, Nintendo)

Loading Video...

Star Fox was Nintendo's answer to Sega's After Burner. Both the rail-shooter gameplay and the theme tune were ripped-off from After Burner. Sega should've sued Nintendo's plagiarizing ass.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jag85
@appariti0n said:

@Pedro: Yeah, this is somewhat tongue in cheek, as every musician borrows from others somewhat.

But if we're to compare Robin Thicke's blurred lines to the Marvin Gaye song he was accused of ripping off, and actually lost a lawsuit on, there's less similarities there than these two songs imo.

I guess it's fair, since the Shinra building music from FF7 certainly seems "heavily inspired" by Kashmir from Led Zeppelin lol.

I don't hear it. The Shinra song sounds more like Queen's "We Will Rock You" rather than "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 appariti0n

@Jag85 said:
@appariti0n said:

I don't hear it. The Shinra song sounds more like Queen's "We Will Rock You" rather than "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, I most definitely was not clear enough. The beats between those two songs are nothing alike. but there is progression of notes contained in both that sounds extremely similar. Then I read some more on Nobuo Uematsu, to discover he has supposedly cited Zeppelin as one of his influences:

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/articles/nobuo-uematsu-music-final-fantasy

Then compare 0:16 here:

Loading Video...

to 7:58 here: (it's in several places, but that's the easiest place to skip to and find it)

Loading Video...

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2925 Posts

@appariti0n: Similar, but I wouldn't call it a rip-off. No reason to start a lawsuit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jag85

@appariti0n said:
@Jag85 said:
@appariti0n said:

Yeah, I most definitely was not clear enough. The beats between those two songs are nothing alike. but there is progression of notes contained in both that sounds extremely similar. Then I read some more on Nobuo Uematsu, to discover he has supposedly cited Zeppelin as one of his influences:

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/articles/nobuo-uematsu-music-final-fantasy

Then compare 0:16 here:

Loading Video...

to 7:58 here: (it's in several places, but that's the easiest place to skip to and find it)

Loading Video...

I can hear some similar notes, but not enough to be considered plagiarism. Also, not sure if those notes originate from Led Zeppelin, as it sounds a bit like Arabic or Indian music (or something from Lawrence of Arabia). So even if the notes were similar enough to be considered plagiarism, there may not be a strong enough case for a lawsuit.

For example, when Capcom tried to sue Fighter's History for plagiarizing Street Fighter II, they lost the case because Data East's defense was that they got the similar character appearances from Japanese and Chinese cultures, not from Street Fighter II. And when PUBG tried to sue Fortnite, they eventually dropped the case because PUBG was itself originally inspired by the Japanese movie Battle Royale.