who still believes smash bros infinite is just a port?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

Poll who still believes smash bros infinite is just a port? (63 votes)

its still a port 40%
i have seen the light. i will get on my knees and repent. 5%
its not a port. been saying this since the reveal. 56%

lets get nathandrakeswag and cowjenga to remain firm on their position :P

• 
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#1 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's clearly not. This game will do ten times more new things than the next Street Fighter will.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

It was clear from the reveal it wasn’t going to be a port.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Does it matter? Most of us never had Wii-U so the game would still be new to us even if it's a port.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Telekill said:

Does it matter? Most of us never had Wii-U so the game would still be new to us even if it's a port.

i just wanted to see if anyone would watch the video.

i mean its decently funny at the end. a lot of build up though.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Is that you, TC?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Why does this matter? Lol

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Yes it is. Graphically it is the same and the gameplay is the same. Adding a few new characters that they probably already had planned for DLC on the WiiU that they couldn't sell because no one bought the system doesn't make it a new game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Port.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Feels like Tekken Tag Tournament. Put all of their characters in a single game, make some improvement to graphics, add some new features. To me, it's should be a separate Smash series, not part of the main series.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Well it’s obviously not a port now although I thought that it might be when it was first announced. Either way though I didn’t really care if it was going to just be a port or not as I was very much hyped for the game regardless.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Yes it is. Graphically it is the same and the gameplay is the same. Adding a few new characters that they probably already had planned for DLC on the WiiU that they couldn't sell because no one bought the system doesn't make it a new game.

So, New Vegas is a port of Fallout 3? Uncharted 2 and 3 are ports of Uncharted 1? Street Fighter Alpha is a port of Street Fighter II?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

There is more content in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate than any Smash game to date, and by a wide margin. Many characters are having redesigns, like the Zelda characters. If it was a port of the Wii U game these characters wouldn't be getting so many updates.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NathanDrakeSwag
@nintendoboy16 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

So, New Vegas is a port of Fallout 3? Uncharted 2 and 3 are ports of Uncharted 1? Street Fighter Alpha is a port of Street Fighter II?

No. No. Yes.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

There are too many things in Ultimate to be a port, such as the number of fighters, the number of stages, items, and features. This is not like Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Switch, which other than the Super Mario Odyssey-based stages is just like the Wii U original.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

No. No. Yes.

Using your own assumptions over shit you don't even know to justify your opinion, LOL okay.

There is significantly more content in Ultimate than any Smash game to date. So if this is really a port, then why is there so much extra stuff in it?

As usual your logic fails.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanDrakeSwag
@jaydan said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

No. No. Yes.

Using your own assumptions over shit you don't even know to justify your opinion, LOL okay.

There is significantly more content in Ultimate than any Smash game to date. So if this is really a port, then why is there so much extra stuff in it?

As usual your logic fails.

Because they put all the shit from the old ones into one game. It's just a compilation.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jaydan

@NathanDrakeSwag: Did you even watch the most recent Direct? Maybe you just scoffed across all the new stuff to make cute posts.

They announced a bunch of new gameplay modes and rules that have never been in a Smash game before, and they teased there's much more to be announced. They're bringing back loads of old favorites too, so you can tell me that there's a "greatest hits" quality to the game, but a port that does not make. There's way much new stuff including many characters getting redesigns and tweaks and change-ups in move-sets, and so on. If Ultimate was really a port, then it would be identical to the last Smash game, and it is not.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NathanDrakeSwag
@jaydan said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Did you even watch the most recent Direct? Maybe you just scoffed across all the new stuff to make cute posts.

They announced a bunch of new gameplay modes and rules that have never been in a Smash game before, and they teased there's much more to be announced. They're bringing back loads of old favorites too, so you can tell me that there's a "greatest hits" quality to the game, but a port that does not make. There's way much new stuff including many characters getting redesigns and tweaks and change-ups in move-sets, and so on. If Ultimate was really a port, then it would be identical to the last Smash game, and it is not.

Characters are getting new costumes. It must be a new game!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jaydan

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@jaydan said:

Characters are getting new costumes. It must be a new game!

Just as you scoffed over the Direct, you scoffed over my post for a cute post. Whatever floats your boat, but that's why people don't take you seriously around here.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@jaydan said:

He's trolling you and either didn't watch the direct or is pretending that he didn't. Same goes for @Ant_17 and the rest. He's just laughing behind his monitor right now and would call it a port even if it ran on a different engine.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jaydan

@techhog89: Either he's trolling or he really is that dumb. I'm inclined to believe the latter, or like I said he tries really hard to make cute posts. In another thread he claimed Castlevania was last relevant during the PS1 era. He completely ignores the fact there's a popular genre title used frequently these days that is partially named after Castlevania - Metroidvania.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ant_17

@techhog89 said:
@jaydan said:

He's trolling you and either didn't watch the direct or is pretending that he didn't. Same goes for @Ant_17 and the rest. He's just laughing behind his monitor right now and would call it a port even if it ran on a different engine.

No, i would call it a new game if it ran on a different engine engine.

And thanks for tagging only me.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It’s still a port.

Nintendo is just insanely desperate so they added a handful of costumes to try and convince you it is different.

King K Rool is just a costume for Bowser. LOL

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Nah. Those are definitely all new games. This seems more like Street Fighter II vs. Super Street Fighter II.

Not really a "port", but also not really an all new game. Just an ultimate edition of a previous game with new stuff added in.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:
@techhog89 said:
@jaydan said:

NateDrakeSwag was already quoted and Stuff is a meme.

Content-wise this game has more changes than most fighting game sequels. The possibly reused the engine (this isn't even confirmed) to put the focus on content instead. With a new engine there might have been a few more gameplay changes but there would have been fewer content changes. Your fanboyism is blinding you. It's silly to act like all that matters is the engine.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ant_17
@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

Content-wise this game has more changes than most fighting game sequels. The possibly reused the engine (this isn't even confirmed) to put the focus on content instead. With a new engine there might have been a few more gameplay changes but there would have been fewer content changes. Your fanboyism is blinding you. It's silly to act like all that matters is the engine.

My fanboyism has nothing to do with this.

Just saying that if they used a new engine i wouldn't call it a port.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:
@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

You're saying that content doesn't matter, but the engine does. That's ridiculous. Tons of sequels use the same engine as their predecessors. It's either fanboyism or trolling. There are more content changes between Ultimate and Wii U than between Wii U and Brawl.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ant_17

@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

You're saying that content doesn't matter, but the engine does. That's ridiculous. Tons of sequels use the same engine as their predecessors. It's either fanboyism or trolling. There are more content changes between Ultimate and Wii U than between Wii U and Brawl.

Yes, because then this won't be a port, but a brand new game, since it has brand new content.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:
@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

Yes, because then this won't be a port, but a brand new game, since it has brand new content.

I'm not taking the bait, sorry. You need to come up with a better excuse than posting deluxe editions. Why don't you instead explain why it's a port and what would have needed to change for it to be a new game?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ant_17

@techhog89: Already told.

New engine.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Smash players can't smell the difference

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:

@techhog89: Already told.

New engine.

I see... So, that's all that matters? Is that what you're saying? Because in that case, the 3DS and Wii U versions are actually completely different games... and both are enhanced ports of Brawl because they're based on that engine.

Also, all UE4 games are actually the same game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ant_17

@techhog89: So you're saying all are ports.

And what's your gripe with me calling it a port?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I don't see how it could be described as a port at this point. There's new gameplay mechanics, game modes, characters which have never been in any Smash game, even a feature where you can use the Switch as a bulky MP3 player to listen to the over 800 tracks if you wished to. Just because it uses the same engine it's a port? There's numerous games that do this which are seen as sequels rather than ports, so I don't get it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#35 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I would say it's primarily a port because most of its content comes from older games, but it's an extremely enhanced port. I can't really call it a brand new game, because again, most of the content came from previous games. Sure, there are new characters, stages, items and modes... but they don't make up the bulk of it. For me, to call it a new game would be completely new roster and stages. Very little seen from past games. That just isn't the case here.

(of course, I'll concede if the game brings back story mode, and every character has their own storyline, not like Mario Tennis Aces where story was just for Mario.)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Hey fair enough, at least you made well reasoned points. Good post, and yeah I hope story mode returns also.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Its a port with some new characters and stages, not hard to see,

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

I don't feel like it's a port but it kinda is in terms of design. Like how Crystal Dynamics used the exact same graphics engine and gameplay as Rise of the Tomb Raider for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Aside from the new levels and story, it's basically a cut and paste. Very lazy sequel but a sequel nonetheless.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:

@techhog89: So you're saying all are ports.

And what's your gripe with me calling it a port?

No, I'm saying that your definition of port is stupid, and that you're clearly trolling. Well, unless you're willing to call TLOU2 a $60 expansion.

But anyway, there's another issue with what you've been saying: You don't have any evidence to support it being the same engine in the first place.

"Buh-buh-but it looks the same!"

It really doesn't, but even if it did it could still mean that it's a new version of the engine or even another engine entirely. In fact, even Nintendo claims that it's a new engine, and one of the people who was working on the project up until 2016 claims that during his time at Bandai-Namco (which didn't start until after Smash Wii U was finished btw) claims that he was the one leading the development of the rendering engine.

On top of that, there are a lot of engines involved in games. Besides the graphics engine, there are other engines such as the physics engine (which is clearly at the very least a new version compared to Wii U) and the lighting engine (which is very clearly completely overhauled).

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ant_17

@techhog89: Yeah, i'm wiling to call TLOU2 a port.

And i don't care what they say, the direct looked like a patch note video.

"Bayo now does this"

"Ness isn't a moron"

"Kirby still OP"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It's a port. Just like ever COD since modern warfare is a port. All assassin's Creed games are ports if the original.

Every Forza game is a port from the first Forza, horizon is just a port with a few new tracks thrown in.

GOW is a port dating all the way back to the PS2.

And all the halos are ports of the original Xbox game

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I would say it's primarily a port because most of its content comes from older games, but it's an extremely enhanced port. I can't really call it a brand new game, because again, most of the content came from previous games. Sure, there are new characters, stages, items and modes... but they don't make up the bulk of it. For me, to call it a new game would be completely new roster and stages. Very little seen from past games. That just isn't the case here.

(of course, I'll concede if the game brings back story mode, and every character has their own storyline, not like Mario Tennis Aces where story was just for Mario.)

good point. so it has to be completely new to not be a port? so then is a sequel a port by definition. since it resuses the same characters and stuff?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:

@techhog89: Yeah, i'm wiling to call TLOU2 a port.

And i don't care what they say, the direct looked like a patch note video.

"Bayo now does this"

"Ness isn't a moron"

"Kirby still OP"

Nice grasping. You were going to call it a port no matter what was said. Be honest. You know that they weren't going to dedicate a Direct going over graphical upgrades.

Honestly, I doubt that you even watched either of the Directs.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ant_17

@techhog89: Yeah, because i DID call it a port.

Did you really think you can change my mind?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:

No, because you're a troll. A really bad one at that. You can't even make up a good reason for why it's port or what makes a game a sequel vs. a port.

Here's Smash 4's first Direct btw. It's very similar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#46 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

good point. so it has to be completely new to not be a port? so then is a sequel a port by definition. since it resuses the same characters and stuff?

Hmm.. think Mario Bros. Say, New Super Marios. A lot of those games are similar, but what separates them are the levels and power ups. They don't rehash each other, even though by design, they're very similar. Now, I'm not saying completely new, but I am saying mostly new. That's why I'm saying if Ultimate gives us a story mode that has a story for each characters, that's a helluva lot of new content. That in my eyes would be enough to not consider this game a port.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ant_17

@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

No, because you're a troll. A really bad one at that. You can't even make up a good reason for why it's port or what makes a game a sequel vs. a port.

I told you.

If they use a new engine, i won't call it a port.

You seem to not notice that you said that, that i won't call it a new game even if it has a different engine. And i corrected you.

You seem to have something personal with me...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Techhog89
@JustPlainLucas said:
@KBFloYd said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Hmm.. think Mario Bros. Say, New Super Marios. A lot of those games are similar, but what separates them are the levels and power ups. They don't rehash each other, even though by design, they're very similar. Now, I'm not saying completely new, but I am saying mostly new. That's why I'm saying if Ultimate gives us a story mode that has a story for each characters, that's a helluva lot of new content. That in my eyes would be enough to not consider this game a port.

So it needs to have 70+ different storylines to be considered a new game in your mind... Are you insane, or just a subtle troll? What game has anything like that?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts
@Ant_17 said:
@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

The same also happened to Dragon's Crown from PS3 to PS4.

(Also, I didn't know The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition got the PS4 treatment. I did play it on PS3)

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Techhog89
@Ant_17 said:
@techhog89 said:
@Ant_17 said:

I told you.

If they use a new engine, i won't call it a port.

You seem to not notice that you said that, that i won't call it a new game even if it has a different engine. And i corrected you.

You seem to have something personal with me...

I told you that it's likely a new engine, and you dismissed it.

I'm just trying to turn you into a better troll. You're really bad at it right now, and not even in a funny way like @stuff238.