Who's upgrading there PC instead? Consoles seem meh...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#151 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I think for me the bottom line is:

An issue of limited time. There are more games that I want to play on PC right now, that I could ever hope to have time to play. Not to mention the games that will be released tomorrow and into the future.

Do I really need to spend $400-$500 to play the, what, 5 or so exclusives on consoles that I might want to try out specially considering that the majority of these turn out to be disappointments anyway (TLOU, Beyond2Souls), when by doing so I will have to set other games on the PC aside simply because there's just not enough time?

Right now the answer is absolutely not. In 2 years, that might change, but I doubt it. I crave immersive, deep experiences when it comes to video games and looking through the next gen screenshot thread on Gaf vs the PC screenshot thread there... well it's laughable.

In 2 years that gap isn't going to get any narrower. With Nvidia's G-sync technology, Oculus Rift coming out and saying they are PC exclusive... if there is money and time to be spent on the best gaming experiences out there... that money and time appears, right now, to be better spent on my PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Bosskiller500 said:

@seanmcloughlin: the 780ti is good for all of next gen and half pretty much..like you said its 1080 overkill

why don't you just get 3 of those and SLI them you would have increase performance...and 1080 would be triple overkill

Why the hell would I do a financially stupid thing like that?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@EddyG0RD0 said:

upgrade your pc , downgrade your body

?

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154  Edited By Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@EddyG0RD0 said:

upgrade your pc , downgrade your body

?

Just another child that thinks playing games on PC makes you fat while playing them on console doesn't.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

I'm going to stick with a PS4 for now (since it will be *roughly* equivalent to a midspec gaming PC), and then upgrade my PC around 2016 when Volta arrives. Of course, that Volta-powered system will absolutely blow away my PS4 as it should, and then my PS4 will be relegated to exclusives.

I feel like I'd spend the least amount of money on upgrades that way. Because, let's face it, anyone who buys a PC gaming rig now will inevitably feel compelled to upgrade it in 3-4 years. That's just part of PC gaming.

I don't want to miss out on console exclusives, obviously. If it weren't for console exclusives, I'd exclusively PC game, but unfortunately there's no way around buying a console for those. And compared to PC hardware, consoles don't decrease in price much, or rapidly change as quickly, so might as well pick one up around launch.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#156  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Bosskiller500 said:

@seanmcloughlin: the 780ti is good for all of next gen and half pretty much..like you said its 1080 overkill

why don't you just get 3 of those and SLI them you would have increase performance...and 1080 would be triple overkill

Why the hell would I do a financially stupid thing like that?

No one should really Tri SLI anything, at least for gaming

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By lostrib

@Kinthalis said:

An issue of limited time. There are more games that I want to play on PC right now, that I could ever hope to have time to play. Not to mention the games that will be released tomorrow and into the future.

Do I really need to spend $400-$500 to play the, what, 5 or so exclusives on consoles that I might want to try out specially considering that the majority of these turn out to be disappointments anyway (TLOU, Beyond2Souls), when by doing so I will have to set other games on the PC aside simply because there's just not enough time?

Right now the answer is absolutely not. In 2 years, that might change, but I doubt it. I crave immersive, deep experiences when it comes to video games and looking through the next gen screenshot thread on Gaf vs the PC screenshot thread there... well it's laughable.

In 2 years that gap isn't going to get any narrower. With Nvidia's G-sync technology, Oculus Rift coming out and saying they are PC exclusive... if there is money and time to be spent on the best gaming experiences out there... that money and time appears, right now, to be better spent on my PC.

Wait, how was the TLOU a disappointment when it was one of the most well received and well reviewed games this year

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

For me it's reversed. Most PC games are technical atrocities as well as dissapointments when it comes to the game itself. So should I spend $800-$1500 on a PC tower when I can just get a PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U for not even 1/3 of the price and use the rest of the money that I would've spent on the PC for games/bills/etc? Answer is a resounding NO. On top of that, there are a ridiculous amount of quality titles on the Consoles that never make it anywhere near PC. So, for me, it's always been an easy choice to stay a Console gamer. ;)

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 lostrib

@Puckhog04 said:

@Kinthalis said:

For me it's reversed. Most PC games are technical atrocities as well as dissapointments when it comes to the game itself. So should I spend $800-$1500 on a PC tower when I can just get a PS4, Xbox One, or Wii U for not even 1/3 of the price and use the rest of the money that I would've spent on the PC for games/bills/etc? Answer is a resounding NO. On top of that, there are a ridiculous amount of quality titles on the Consoles that never make it anywhere near PC. So, for me, it's always been an easy choice to stay a Console gamer. ;)

Um source?

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Puckhog04 said:

@Kinthalis said:

Um source?

Personal experience. Optimization is always lacking (especially with indie titles) and the majority of games that come out on PC have more than their fair share of technical issues right off the bat. I remember when I bought Bioshock 1 on Steam (beat it first on 360 then rebought on PC on sale to play again) I couldn't hear anything in the game for about 2 months. Went through all the fixes that were said and couldn't figure it out. Then, out of nowhere, I tried a few months later and *tada*, Sound. It's these kinds of issues that are rampant in PC games and always have been. Technical issues all over. Did I mention I have an 8 core CPU, 16GB of Ram, and 2GB VRAM Video card? And I can't run SC Blacklist on PC at higher than a "low" setting without getting terrible frames, especially in Single player. These, amongst many other reasons, are reasons why PC gaming has never caught on FOR ME.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

^seems like a personal issue.

Most games run fine for me.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#162  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I already upgraded and I went with AMD lol.

I'd go with Haswell if the i7 was $200. I do some workstation stuff as well so went with Piledriver. :P

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Suppaman100 said:

PC has no good exclusives when compared to consoles.

No need to upgrade your PC.

Good thing 95% of games aren't exclusive then isn't it.

Only hes lying.

Last gen PC had more AAA+AA (8.0+) exclusives than all 3 systems combined.

For the current gen (WiiU+) PC has more exclusives than all 3 systems combined (8.0 and above).

Yeah and 90% of that PC list are indie games.

LOL, everyone knows there are almost no good exclusives on PC, unless if you count ROME 2 as good. LMFAO

Let's be srs here, TLOU >>>> every exclusive PC game for the last couple of years.

PC only gamers miss out more than console only gamers imo. (and I have a gaming PC btw)

lol everything you said is false, and clearly you are butthurt since you keep going around spreading misinformation. Then again, I dont blame you, since you're so mad that ps4 has no games. haha

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

I recently upgraded to a GTX 780. Gave my 4GB GTX 670 to my brother, because I'm a nice big brother.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Not to mention hardware outpaces the games vastly. There is only but 1 or maybe 2 games in existence that I cant run at max settings with my PC that is 2 years old. Even battlefield 4 runs on my PC at max without a single chug.

But yeah, PC has just a tiny handful of exclusives worth anything. Sure it has thousands of games, most of them are shovelware and little indie games that mostly suck.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

Haven't touched my PS3 since march, mainly play 3DS those days with a little bit of path of exile and project zomboid on PC. But no won't be getting a gaming PC nothing I really want to play.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

"their" not "there".

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

lol, anyone who upgrades now is not upgrading to next-gen. Only when Maxwell is out, is when next-gen on pc arrives. That is what the future of games will be optimized for.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

lol, anyone who upgrades now is not upgrading to next-gen. Only when Maxwell is out, is when next-gen on pc arrives. That is what the future of games will be optimized for.

What a load of BS

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

@Kinthalis said:

Not sure how anyone can take your responses seriously knowing that next week you'll be back on board the hermit train and disowning your consoles.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 slipknot0129

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

Lol, have fun with your almost nonexistant improvement in graphics over the consoles. Maxwell will show great improvement over the consoles for much cheaper.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#172 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Kinthalis said:

Wait, how was the TLOU a disappointment when it was one of the most well received and well reviewed games this year

It was a disspaointment for me. Serves me right, me thining some hyped up console game would actually have good gameplay. The sotry was fantastic, but the game itself? Crap.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

Lol, have fun with your almost nonexistant improvement in graphics over the consoles. Maxwell will show great improvement over the consoles for much cheaper.

Someone's delusional

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By 04dcarraher

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

False, Maxwell only introduces better performance per watt, and the ability to access the system memory and with DDR3 as a standard it can only supply so much bandwidth making the unified memory access primarily mainly to help with large data sets for parallel processing. Today's Kepler gpu's already have the ability to surpass consoles by good margins.You clearly have no idea what your talking about, since these consoles are limited to only 2-3gb of VRAM with a gpu that is as fast as a GTX 580 from Nvidia.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 slipknot0129

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

False, Maxwell only introduces better performance per watt, and the ability to access the system memory and with DDR3 as a standard it can only supply so much bandwidth making the unified memory access primarily mainly to help with large data sets for parallel processing. Today's Kepler gpu's already have the ability to surpass consoles by good margins.You clearly have no idea what your talking about, since these consoles are limited to only 2-3gb of VRAM with a gpu that is as fast as a GTX 580 from Nvidia.

Lol, thats what Kepler said. And it gave me a 2x performance boost for the same power. So I should get a 2x boost in power again. That could easily be more powerful than a Titan. All for under $300.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Bosskiller500 said:

im sure any crossfire/sli configuration with 2-3 780ti or r9 290x rape a ps4...

You really have an obsession.

Maybe you should see a doctor or something

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By slipknot0129

@Bosskiller500 said:

im sure any crossfire/sli configuration with 2-3 780ti or r9 290x rape a ps4...

I'm sure any decent Maxwell card will rape that overpriced sli setup.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#179  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Assuming I have the funds to spare, I will be hopefully upgrading my videocard to the new Maxwell GPUs.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@GioVela2010 said:

I'm doing both, I'm not a peasant like most of u

Buying consoles with few good games doesn't make you less of a peasant.

In fact, you're the worst kind of peasant. You have the money to lift yourself up out of the muck and misery, but it doesn't matter, you're a peasant of the mind. You'd rather stay down in the dirt, with the inferior scraps that are thrown to you, than to use the finer things you already bought.

Like they say: you can take the peasant out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the peasant. They will just keep choosing to recreate the ghetto.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 04dcarraher

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

Lol, thats what Kepler said. And it gave me a 2x performance boost for the same power. So I should get a 2x boost in power again. That could easily be more powerful than a Titan. All for under $300.

Stating unless you get Maxwell you wont be able to see any improvement over consoles is still wrong. 2x the performance per watt does not make kepler based gpu's are out of the picture. Getting a Maxwell gpu under $300, will be most likely have things that are trimmed away that may not allow a GTX 860 or whatever be able to out pace a titan nor 780Ti.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

@04dcarraher said:

@slipknot0129 said:

What a load of BS

Stating unless you get Maxwell you wont be able to see any improvement over consoles is still wrong. 2x the performance per watt does not make kepler based gpu's are out of the picture. Getting a Maxwell gpu under $300, will be most likely have things that are trimmed away that may not allow a GTX 860 or whatever be able to out pace a titan nor 780Ti.

Hell, I've played AC4 on the PS4 and on my PC with an HD 7950 and i5 2500k and it looks better on my PC. (same goes for BF4)

It's double buffered v-synced so it locks at 30fps in the outdoor areas and is 60fps indoors. I have all the settings maxed except anti-aliasing, which I have at 2x MSAA (EQ x4) (with adaptive AA selected as the mode in RadeonPro). The PC version has higher res textures and other assets, higher quality shadows (contact hardening shadows), more advanced godrays, a higher quality HBAO+, etc. Having played both there is no doubt the PC version looks noticeably better and it doesn't take a super computer to run it at better than PS4 quality. My overclocked HD 7950 is sufficient.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

@kalipekona said:

@GioVela2010 said:

I'm doing both, I'm not a peasant like most of u

In fact, you're the worst kind of peasant. You have the money to lift yourself up out of the muck and misery, but it doesn't matter, you're a peasant of the mind. You'd rather stay down in the dirt, with the inferior scraps that are thrown to you, than to use the finer things you already bought.

Like they say: you can take the peasant out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the peasant. They will just keep choosing to recreate the ghetto.

LOL @ damage controlling your peasantry..

There are over 50 console exclusive AAA games at Gamerankings past gen. No reason to think this gen will be any different.

In it's whole lifetime PC only has about 35 PC exclusive AAA games at Gamerankings.

Likie i said, keep damage controlling your peasantry, peasant.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 04dcarraher
@Bosskiller500 said:

im pretty sure maxwell will double rape ps4

double? a 300w Maxwell should be at least 2x faster then GTX 780ti and that card is already nearly 4x faster then PS4 gpu.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Exclusives AAA-AA last gen.

PC: 130

xbox360: 31

PS3: 32

Wii: 36

AND

A breakdown of 2013's exclusives rated 80% or above on Metacritic:

Upgrading PC, of course.

@kalipekona said:
@GioVela2010 said:

blaablablabla lying blablabla lying

100% True. Speaking of ghetto did you see Gio's house? lol .

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 GioVela2010

Lol speaking of Peasants, Jankar posting ITT

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Both. There'll be some games which will make good use of powerful PCs, but there's no way I'd miss out on some of the great exclusives the PS4 will get. Besides that, I still have to see if a Steam Machine will work well for streaming my gaming PC to my lounge room TV and speakers, so I'd rather play multi-plats on the PS4 for a while, which I plan to get mid next year.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@GioVela2010 said:

your potato quota is lacking, peasant. Get to work

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@Gargus said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Not to mention hardware outpaces the games vastly. There is only but 1 or maybe 2 games in existence that I cant run at max settings with my PC that is 2 years old. Even battlefield 4 runs on my PC at max without a single chug.

But yeah, PC has just a tiny handful of exclusives worth anything. Sure it has thousands of games, most of them are shovelware and little indie games that mostly suck.

Finally someone who gets it.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By GioVela2010

@wis3boi said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Know your roll servant. The only potatoes I get for you, are the ones you need when preparing my dinner.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@GioVela2010 said:

@wis3boi said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Know your roll servant. The only potatoes I get for you, are the ones you need when preparing my dinner.

bad grammar and keeping 8 year old pics my old systems....how sad a life you live, in the piss and shit filled streets. I hope one day you find the light

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've had a PC capable of maxing every game coming out for 2 years at least now. Why upgrade when there aren't any new good looking exclusives? PS4 wins

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

AND

Upgrading PC, of course.

@kalipekona said:
@GioVela2010 said:

And yet, PC has not got a single good exclusive to play for a RPG gamer

So, what would i choose ?

PS4 + 3DS for Bravely Default, Zelda, Ni no Kuni 2, FF15, Demons Souls 2, New Tales of game, Diablo 3 NEXT GEN and amazing controls and offline proper single player EDITION etc etc

or

PC for .... ?????? There is not actually any next gen PC exclusive RPG coming, not a single one !!!!

mrsheeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 mrsheeno
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

@PsychoLemons said:

"their" not "there".

My PC is a magical "Place".

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#196 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@loosingENDS said:

@Jankarcop said:

AND

Upgrading PC, of course.

@kalipekona said:
@GioVela2010 said:

And yet, PC has not got a single good exclusive to play for a RPG gamer

So, what would i choose ?

PS4 + 3DS for Bravely Default, Zelda, Ni no Kuni 2, FF15, Demons Souls 2, New Tales of game, Diablo 3 NEXT GEN and amazing controls and offline proper single player EDITION etc etc

or

PC for .... ?????? There is not actually any next gen PC exclusive RPG coming, not a single one !!!!

• Diablo 3 is not next gen, it came out in may 2012 and was dated even then
  • Diablo 3 is not exclusive
  • Diablo controls fine with a keyboard and mouse, in fact all the best Diablo players play on PC and that's one of the reasons
  • Offline mode in this day and age is not a big deal
  • FF15 is not exclusive
  • There is no known Demon's Souls 2 game
  • New Tales game isn't exclusive
  • You don't know if any of the games you mentioned wil be good.

Your argument falls flat on its face.

mrsheeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 mrsheeno
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

Plenty of exclusive MMORPGS coming out.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Plan on building a new gaming PC soon but still getting a PS4 !!

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#199 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I don't see the point in getting the new consoles. The problem with the PS4 is that game development is still PS3 focused (FF13-3, Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus, GT6). The problem with the XBOX One is that ...it's just terrible in every way. The hardware performance is kind of irrelevant at this point.

If I felt like spending money unwisely, it would be a better value to buy 2 of the new Apple Ipad Mini with Retina displays (128 GB models). At least they are backwards compatible with a decent game library, and with two you can store more and play longer before having to recharge. When Apple offers you a better value, that's a sign that something is truly a colossal waste of money.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Since my PS3 just sits on the shelf gathering dust I won't be getting another console for a while.