Who needs Mario when we have Alex

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

There's a remake for Alex Kidd in Miracle World being made and here is the announce trailer.

Some pretty good news for us old school gamers out there old enough to remember this gem.

No release date has been announced, but its coming for XB1/Switch/PS4/PC.

Anyone other than me also a dinosaur who played and enjoyed this game back in the day?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

28245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 28245 Posts

Oh snap, IP Daily thread. Here to support.

Never played this series, but it has a similar aesthetic to Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I would be interested in checking it out.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Oh snap, IP Daily thread. Here to support.

Never played this series, but it has a similar aesthetic to Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I would be interested in checking it out.

I don't make many and this is a game I beat many, many times when I was a young'un. I'm betting that I would suck at it now, but that won't stop me from playing it.

As much as I hate on Sega these days i'm still a fanboy of their systems and games from the past, not so much this gen.

Sega need to lease out its classic IP's if they aren't going to make any themselves. First Streets of Rage and now this, hopefully this is a trend and we get more classics.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

13117

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 150

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 13117 Posts

Alex is the best! Alex is amazing! Alex the great! :D

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

4953

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4953 Posts

Knack is better.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

28245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 28245 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Oh snap, IP Daily thread. Here to support.

Never played this series, but it has a similar aesthetic to Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I would be interested in checking it out.

I don't make many and this is a game I beat many, many times when I was a young'un. I'm betting that I would suck at it now, but that won't stop me from playing it.

As much as I hate on Sega these days i'm still a fanboy of their systems and games from the past, not so much this gen.

Sega need to lease out its classic IP's if they aren't going to make any themselves. First Streets of Rage and now this, hopefully this is a trend and we get more classics.

I didn't know Sega was publishing this game. That does seem like it's the trend. Sonic Mania was a great idea. They also lent out Shenmue. Looking forward to this!

Avatar image for SecretPolice
SecretPolice

37226

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 37226 Posts

Yup, like those rubes who were playing Mario on NES with robot Rob, we, the smart money were playing Alex Kid on Mighty Sega Master System MonsterBox. :P

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Not sure if Sega is publishing it as its been done by a UK based publisher Merge Games, I guess more deets will come soon.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

15224

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 217

User Lists: 0

#9 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15224 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Oh snap, IP Daily thread. Here to support.

Never played this series, but it has a similar aesthetic to Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I would be interested in checking it out.

The two best Alex Kidd games:

  1. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
  2. Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Both on the Sega Master System. They were two of my favourite 8-bit platformers. I enjoyed them more than the Super Mario Bros trilogy.

Another Alex Kidd game worth checking out:

  • Alex Kidd in Hi-Tech World

Also on the Sega Master System. It was the first adventure game I ever played. It's like a point & click adventure, but in a side-scrolling format.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

28245

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 28245 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not sure if Sega is publishing it as its been done by a UK based publisher Merge Games, I guess more deets will come soon.

I would love to see a new Jet Set Radio and new Crazy Taxi. It's criminal that Sega doesn't publish any new games for these franchises.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not sure if Sega is publishing it as its been done by a UK based publisher Merge Games, I guess more deets will come soon.

I would love to see a new Jet Set Radio and new Crazy Taxi. It's criminal that Sega doesn't publish any new games for these franchises.

Was not a fan of JSR, but I loved Crazy Taxi, but it doesn't have enough content for gamers these days as they would whinge about how short it is.

I'd really love to see a new Skies of Arcadia or Sega Rally.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

44545

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#12 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44545 Posts

But seriously, I never play this series but I have heard nice things about it. That said, I'll wait to see if its worth buying on Switch or PC...but I'm leaning towards Switch purchase.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@davillain- said:

But seriously, I never play this series but I have heard nice things about it. That said, I'll wait to see if its worth buying on Switch or PC...but I'm leaning towards Switch purchase.

You must be a whippersnapper, also playing games with small sprites/pixels on a handheld, NO THANK YOU.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

14399

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14 xantufrog  Moderator  Online
Member since 2013 • 14399 Posts

Alex is awesome. This caught me by surprise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

1049

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Alex Kidd In Miracle World > Super Mario Bros 1

I'm not a fan of that DX remake though. The originals otherwordly atmosphere just can't be recreated

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

10397

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10397 Posts

You'd think Sega would have tried to market him at the time but they didn't really get in on the mascot business until 1991.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

44545

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44545 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

You'd think Sega would have tried to market him at the time but they didn't really get in on the mascot business until 1991.

I thought Sonic was the true mascot of Sega? Sonic is the reason why I got myself the Sega Genesis, because I love Sonic.

@i_p_daily said:

You must be a whippersnapper, also playing games with small sprites/pixels on a handheld, NO THANK YOU.

Old habits die hard I supposed. Playing games with sprites/2D always felt like it needs to be play on handheld such as Switch is the best parts of playing.

Avatar image for pelvist
pelvist

7983

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7983 Posts

I preferred Alex Kid to Mario back in the day. TBH Iv never really liked any Mario game iv played though.

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

10397

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10397 Posts

@davillain- said:

I thought Sonic was the true mascot of Sega? Sonic is the reason why I got myself the Sega Genesis, because I love Sonic.

That's my point. Alex Kidd predates Sonic.

Avatar image for Zero_epyon
Zero_epyon

15813

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#20 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15813 Posts

Never played Alex Kidd as a kid (pun intended). I'll take a look though.

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
Renegade_Fury

21083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#21 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21083 Posts

It looks like the next stage has come for him at last.

Loading Video...

Alex Kidd is like the third SEGA main mascot, actually. Opa-Opa and, I forget the name, but I think it was a penguin that used to be in the game manuals.

Avatar image for enzyme36
enzyme36

4658

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts

This is great! Loved Alex Kid on the master system... day1

Avatar image for Macutchi
Macutchi

7446

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#23 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7446 Posts

i was more a wonder boy kid than an alex kidd boy back in the day

Avatar image for tormentos
tormentos

33549

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33549 Posts

Such a good game have endless time with it and one of my personal favorites alone side Zillion.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

32825

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#25 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 32825 Posts

Oh god no. I’ll take Mario all day, everyday. Having said that the Alex games are ok so I may check this out or maybe not.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#26 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

Played it back in the day (Enchanted Castle) ... ok game but nothing amazing ... i always liked Super Mario Bros 3 a lot more.

Avatar image for zmanbarzel
ZmanBarzel

2392

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#28 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2392 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not sure if Sega is publishing it as its been done by a UK based publisher Merge Games, I guess more deets will come soon.

I don't believe they are. I think it's the same relationship as with "Streets of Rage 4": accept the money for use of the property and let someone else take the risks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

2683

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#29 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Played it on the Sega Mini. It's okay. Weird controls. As far as old school games go, I'd rather have a remake of Kid Chameleon. That game had so much style.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

20380

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20380 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

There's a remake for Alex Kidd in Miracle World being made and here is the announce trailer.

Loading Video...

Some pretty good news for us old school gamers out there old enough to remember this gem.

No release date has been announced, but its coming for XB1/Switch/PS4/PC.

Anyone other than me also a dinosaur who played and enjoyed this game back in the day?

Yeah mate, I played it heaps when I was a kid... I'll definitely be buying this. It's a nice surprise.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#31 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

Alex Kidd In Miracle World > Super Mario Bros 1

I'm not a fan of that DX remake though. The originals otherwordly atmosphere just can't be recreated

Yeah can play it in retro mode, so its all good.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#32 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Oh god no. I’ll take Mario all day, everyday. Having said that the Alex games are ok so I may check this out or maybe not.

@madsnakehhh said:

Played it back in the day (Enchanted Castle) ... ok game but nothing amazing ... i always liked Super Mario Bros 3 a lot more.

Alex Kidd was better than Mario and we don't even need to bring Sonic into the argument lol.

Avatar image for flashn00b
flashn00b

3792

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#33 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3792 Posts

Who needs Donkey Kong when you have Vectorman?

Pretty please with a cherry on top, Sega-senpai?

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#34 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@i_p_daily said:

There's a remake for Alex Kidd in Miracle World being made and here is the announce trailer.

Loading Video...

Some pretty good news for us old school gamers out there old enough to remember this gem.

No release date has been announced, but its coming for XB1/Switch/PS4/PC.

Anyone other than me also a dinosaur who played and enjoyed this game back in the day?

Yeah mate, I played it heaps when I was a kid... I'll definitely be buying this. It's a nice surprise.

Hopefully its as good as Streets of Rage 4 as that's my GOTY so far.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

20380

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20380 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@i_p_daily said:

There's a remake for Alex Kidd in Miracle World being made and here is the announce trailer.

Loading Video...

Some pretty good news for us old school gamers out there old enough to remember this gem.

No release date has been announced, but its coming for XB1/Switch/PS4/PC.

Anyone other than me also a dinosaur who played and enjoyed this game back in the day?

Yeah mate, I played it heaps when I was a kid... I'll definitely be buying this. It's a nice surprise.

Hopefully its as good as Streets of Rage 4 as that's my GOTY so far.

I might have to give it a go...

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#36 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@i_p_daily said:

There's a remake for Alex Kidd in Miracle World being made and here is the announce trailer.

Loading Video...

Some pretty good news for us old school gamers out there old enough to remember this gem.

No release date has been announced, but its coming for XB1/Switch/PS4/PC.

Anyone other than me also a dinosaur who played and enjoyed this game back in the day?

Yeah mate, I played it heaps when I was a kid... I'll definitely be buying this. It's a nice surprise.

Hopefully its as good as Streets of Rage 4 as that's my GOTY so far.

I might have to give it a go...

Wait you haven't played Streets 4 yet? oh man you don't know what you're missing.

Its only 12 levels but it has all characters (once you unlock them) from all the games and even lets you play as characters like Shiva from Streets 2.

I've put over 50hrs into it, hopefully it gets dlc with a few extra levels and characters.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

20380

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20380 Posts

@i_p_daily: Nah never played it. I'll check it out.

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Oh god no. I’ll take Mario all day, everyday. Having said that the Alex games are ok so I may check this out or maybe not.

@madsnakehhh said:

Played it back in the day (Enchanted Castle) ... ok game but nothing amazing ... i always liked Super Mario Bros 3 a lot more.

Alex Kidd was better than Mario and we don't even need to bring Sonic into the argument lol.

Cool opinion ... wrong, but cool.

And yes, please ... let's not bring Sonic into the argument ... those bad level designs in the first game ... yikes !!!

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#39 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@madsnakehhh said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Oh god no. I’ll take Mario all day, everyday. Having said that the Alex games are ok so I may check this out or maybe not.

@madsnakehhh said:

Played it back in the day (Enchanted Castle) ... ok game but nothing amazing ... i always liked Super Mario Bros 3 a lot more.

Alex Kidd was better than Mario and we don't even need to bring Sonic into the argument lol.

Cool opinion ... wrong, but cool.

And yes, please ... let's not bring Sonic into the argument ... those bad level designs in the first game ... yikes !!!

One of Sega's lesser known characters is better than Nintendo's most popular one, and Mario isn't even a blimp on Sonic's radar.

Hopefully you buy this game and experience something better for a change :)

Remember Sega does what Nintendon't.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

3707

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#40 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 3707 Posts

If Alex Kid is "better" than Mario, I wonder why it took more than twenty years since his last appearance (1989) for him to resurface in the first Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing (2010), while Mario has been visible and relevant all these years? In fact, in the years since, what has Alex been doing?

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
jg4xchamp

63235

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63235 Posts

Mario is and was funnerer. But Alex the Kidd is pretty dope.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
mclarenmaster18

3255

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By mclarenmaster18
Member since 2014 • 3255 Posts

I'd rather have Master Chief over Alex Kidd and Mario!

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#43  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:

I'd rather have Master Chief over Alex Kidd and Mario!

Alex Kidd>>>>>Master Chief>>>>>>>>>Mario

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

19571

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 19571 Posts
@onesiphorus said:

If Alex Kid is "better" than Mario, I wonder why it took more than twenty years since his last appearance (1989) for him to resurface in the first Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing (2010), while Mario has been visible and relevant all these years? In fact, in the years since, what has Alex been doing?

Streets of Rage had been dormant for over 20yrs before the latest release, doesn't NOT making it the best side scrolling beat'em up series now does it. What it does do is show Sega's incompetence is all.

As for Mario, he's the gaming equivalent of a male prostitute, and Nintendo is his pimp, whored out and worn out :)

Avatar image for madsnakehhh
madsnakehhh

16996

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#45 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16996 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

One of Sega's lesser known characters is better than Nintendo's most popular one, and Mario isn't even a blimp on Sonic's radar.

Hopefully you buy this game and experience something better for a change :)

Remember Sega does what Nintendon't.

I'm perfectly aware that it's impossible to reach any kind of agreement with you over anything unless someone gives you the full reason ... and that's ok.

I'm only going to say this ... Alex Kidd failed, there is no other way to say it ... it failed and it suffered a painful defeat. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the games are ok, they just weren't Super Mario and that killed it for good for over 20 years. It's nice to have him back as a novelty but that's all it is now a novelty ... this game looks ok ... you know, like all other Alex Kidd games ... ok.

As for Sonic, same story ... it failed with audiences and with critics, we can discuss all you want but history has been written, hell even the first games weren't that good, it was succesfull because of the "attitude" ... there are some really great games here and there mixed with some really hot garbage.

Yes, Mario is overused ... far too much with some truly bad games ... but he is still the King when it comes to platforms, either 2D or 3D, there is no franchise that can even come close to how brilliant are the best Super Mario games. And that's a fact.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

48492

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#46  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 48492 Posts

...and who needs Alex when we have Alyx!?

@xantufrog said:

Alex is awesome. This caught me by surprise.

Yup; didn't play much of it, but I remember it from long ago.

Enjoying these old-school revivals we have seen of late. Samurai Shodown, Streets of Rage, etc...