Who is the Steam Machine's Audience?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Reviewtech Rich seems to think too many Steam Machine's, and too overly priced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7uMjQpwEj8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not getting v who this is for. PC panhandlers already have their rigs. Cows and Lems aren't interested in pc games..... so who's left?

Steam Machine already a fail?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#2 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Casual PC gamers like Jankarcop.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XboxDone74

@princessgomez92: no casual pc gamer is going to pay those prices.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@xboxdone74: they are targeting current steam users, the recent survey they did found most hermits have $hit pc so they are providing them an easy upgrade option. the cheap ones could do well but the $700+ are probably doa as most people who spend that much on pc are usually enthusiasts who could build their own at a cheaper price.

if steam can subsidies the alienware steam machine and provide good specs for competitive price, $500-600, it could do well but depends how much steam is willing to dish out. i think they should offer a heavily skinned windows option because linux games library is just not on the same level but that would add licence cost. oh well, if the alienware is good i will buy and install windows for free

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

1) PC gamers who want the benefits of console gaming

2) Console gamers who want the benefits of PC gaming

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I see it being a moderate success as it sells to tech guys, hardcore gamers, and PC fanboy nutballs but once it goes through those guys it will slow drastically because it has no purpose or appeal to the vast majority of people who play games.

Hell I have 20 some systems and thousands of games and even I don't give a shit about it. I have a computer and I have consoles, I don't want something that is half of each. Only way I will buy one is the day they get super cheap so I can add it to my collection but I honestly haven't even the slightest bit of interest in it.

The video game market is bloated enough with the new xbone and ps4, then you have the 360 lingering somewhat, the ps3 will continue to get support from sony for awhile, the wiiu is limping along, the 3ds/2ds, playstation vita, and tablets/smartphones. Then of course you have the PC landscape. Do we really need something else clogging up the works? Not really.

Besides, people groaned at the price of the xbone and it was a major game system from Microsoft with a history in making game systems. Even people who never play games know what a xbox is. What interest will people have in a steam box that costs even more and something they don't even know what it is?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I'm the audience. I don't game on PC's. I do want to play steam games. And that controller looks sweet.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@xboxdone74: they are targeting current steam users, the recent survey they did found most hermits have $hit pc so they are providing them an easy upgrade option. the cheap ones could do well but the $700+ are probably doa as most people who spend that much on pc are usually enthusiasts who could build their own at a cheaper price.

if steam can subsidies the alienware steam machine and provide good specs for competitive price, $500-600, it could do well but depends how much steam is willing to dish out. i think they should offer a heavily skinned windows option because linux games library is just not on the same level but that would add licence cost. oh well, if the alienware is good i will buy and install windows for free

Lol. Everytime consolites complain that everything over 600 bucks is too expensive for them, it rembembers me the father from the movie Bad Grandpa when he, holded by bikers, yells "You costed me six hundred bucks a month!!!".

Get a job.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

@donalbane said:

but it doesn't give you any console benefits....

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Lol. Everytime consolites complain that everything over 600 bucks is too expensive for them, it rembembers me the father from the movie Bad Grandpa when he, holded by bikers, yells "You costed me six hundred bucks a month!!!".

Get a job.

i have a job, i just dont want to spend 500+ on a damn computer to play aaa exclusive indie games. sh^t aint that serious for me

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Console gamers that might want to get into pc gaming with a reasonable priced pc ( some of those steam machines are priced great ), pc gamers that might want a cheap 2nd pc for either streaming or to serve as an HTPC with some gaming ( those $500 ibuypower steammachines fall in that category ), people that might want to get into pc gaming and dont want the hustle of building a pc ( not that is much of a hustle but still there are people that dont want to do it )

Whether or not the whole project will succeed or fail it depends alot on the price of those steam machines ( some like the ibuypower seem to be priced quite good while others seem way overpriced )

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jhonMalcovich

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Get a job.

i have a job, i just dont want to spend 500+ on a damn computer to play aaa exclusive indie games. sh^t aint that serious for me

No, people spend that to have top noch gaming experience. You know, when you want something top notch, you go and spend more than the minimum on it. If you like music, you go and buy a Gibson or Fender guitar, instead of a chinese immitation.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@osirisx3 said:

@donalbane said:

Couch PC gaming on your HD TV in the living room and Big Picture mode are the console-like benefits.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XboxDone74

@jhonMalcovich: guaranteed my motion computing tablet pc cost more than any of you pc panhandlers rigs. but thats besides the point. you can have a job, and look at these steam machines and conclude the price isnt worth it. is called being financially responsible. but young, newb gamers like yourself, dont believe in that, which is why your kind rack up huge amounts of debt, and need guys like me to bail you out.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Hopefully they'll have some success because they'll be a good option to have. I may get one in about two and a half years. I'm excited to try Oculus Rift eventually and I'd like to get a powerful Steam Machine to connect to my TV and speakers (hopefully with no issues like I had with my current PC) as well as Oculus Rift. It will have the Digital Out I need for my receiver, and will be a nice little box under my TV.

The other option could be to get a much cheaper Steam Machine just for streaming and upgrade the GPU in my current PC, which would work out cheaper, but there's the inconvenience of having to turn on both machines and set up the stream every time, and I don't know if that could have slight issues of its own.

In the mean time, I'll be busy with the PS3, PS4, Vita and current PC, and will continue with those last 3 for a long time as well.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's only for PC hardcore gamers, and there aren't that many of them. Not many would pay over 1k bucks just for a pc when they can build it themselves. Who is this audience?

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XboxDone74

@SEANMCAD said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@jhonMalcovich: guaranteed my motion computing tablet pc cost more than any of you pc panhandlers rigs. but thats besides the point. you can have a job, and look at these steam machines and conclude the price isnt worth it. is called being financially responsible. but young, newb gamers like yourself, dont believe in that, which is why your kind rack up huge amounts of debt, and need guys like me to bail you out.

what bizzare world did I just fall into.

Expensive tablet = yes

gaming machine over $500 = no?

WHAT THE?................

?

The tablet pc is used to run the side business... that makes money. Yes, I know, the concept is foreign to you pc panhandlers.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

It's only for PC hardcore gamers, and there aren't that many of them. Not many would pay over 1k bucks just for a pc when they can build it themselves. Who is this audience?

I dont think people understand something.

There is a gaming market for $300 keyboards.

Now does that mean $300 keyboards will be at every walmart and owned by everyone who can at least afforded air conditioning? No but it does means someone is making some coin. just not as much as you might want to call it a McDonalds success

True, but this isn't the same, these are pc's. Way more expensive than that keyboard. And not everyone buys gaming mouses and keyboards for 500 bucks.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Console gamers.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

i am getting one.... i will spend maximum 1300....

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#26 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

I guess it's people that don't build their PCs themselves... (*_*;)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Who?

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

Same people that bought neogeos, 3dos and cdis back in the day, spoiled brats that like to brag. Doubt they reach a million before everyone pulls the plugs.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@xboxdone74 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@xboxdone74 said:

what bizzare world did I just fall into.

Expensive tablet = yes

gaming machine over $500 = no?

WHAT THE?................

?

The tablet pc is used to run the side business... that makes money. Yes, I know, the concept is foreign to you pc panhandlers.

Are you prostituting yourself ? I can't think of another side business that you can have XD

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@donalbane said:

@osirisx3 said:

@donalbane said:

Couch PC gaming on your HD TV in the living room and Big Picture mode are the console-like benefits.

You can to both of that with any PC...

jimmarko21876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jimmarko21876
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@MK-Professor said:

@donalbane said:

@osirisx3 said:

@donalbane said:

You can to both of that with any PC...

which is 100% true. I think the question Valve is asking is 'why dont people do that?'

I tried it but was very unhappy with the shadow like effect I get from my computer to the 2 seperate LCD TVs I attempted it with. It doesn't appear on my LCD monitor, so on a desk with my 23" LCD monitor it remains :( It seems like it's a refresh rate issue but both the TVs and monitor are 60Hz so no clue. Not worth the hassle.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

People that would like to game on their PCs, but who don't want to build one--ie the people that keep companies like Alienware, Digital Storm, and iBuyPower afloat (more people than you'd think). Also, people that would like a gaming PC specifically designed to look good in their living room; even though I am perfectly capable of building one, I would be tempted to buy one if it was well priced--why? Because fucking ITX mobos are annoying as **** to work with, and even more annoying when you're having to wire front panel connectors, fans, and other fucking cables in such a small enclosure. Shit, they must have 8 year old asian kids building these things!

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

The audience of the Steam Machine is anyone who would like to try PC gaming in their living room:

- Valve developed a game controller that simulates a mouse and keyboard better than normal controllers. This could be a big thing, although I do wonder about the lack of buttons compared to a keyboard

- Steam OS is designed to be push PC gaming onto Linux. It may also give some performance benefits because it is a simpler OS.

- Steam Machines use Steam (obviously) which means lots of cheap games compared to other living room systems

- Steam Machines are, in some cases, EXTREMELY small even compared to other consoles

Generally speaking, I see most of the appeal being casual console users - ones that aren't in love with console exclusives. Most PC gamers like the fact their PC is more than just a machine for playing gamepad-friendly games. I don't see myself surfing the net, image editing, or composing emails on a TV.

I am puzzled by the absurd number of companies manufacturing the machines, as well as the loose standards in terms of CPU, and the comically high prices of some models. Anything more than 2 or 3 manufacturers and a $800 price limit seems like something that can only hurt the device.

On the other hand, most of these companies are not well known anyway, and the average shopper may only encounter one-or-two steam certified machines.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

The upgradeable $500 model is the only one that can compete with consoles. At the price of some of those models you might as well just buy a tower.

If SteamOS gets more support I can see this being a limited success. Until then Windows games dominate the market.

Can't you download the SteamOS for free anyways?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01  Online
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

And Sniper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

To me, the Steam Machine is for an audience in the minority and by minority I mean people who cannot PC video game using a PC and have to rely on the Steam Machine to play PC video games. For example I would want the Steam Machine because I lack the ability to learn how to build my own video gaming PC or how to do something as simple to some, like install a graphics card; so I have to heavily rely on the Steam Machine and even then, the Steam Machine works similar to a PC, it would just seam easier to me in terms of upgrading the parts etc. Overall, I probably prefer an already built video gaming PC over the Steam Machine, like Alienware as I like their products for cosmetic reasons; the Steam Machines do not look good to me, it looks like something cheap and poorly built, but cost a lot.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

People who want a gaming pc but don't want to build one themselves.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@ohgeez said:

Don't we already have Alienware for that? And we know how much it sucked

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ohgeez

@jhcho2 said:

@ohgeez said:

Alienware is a brand name which you are paying a marked up price for. Its like the reason why apple products are much more expensive than their competitors such as android on mobile or most windows PCs even though they use similar and often times much weaker components.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@ohgeez said:

@jhcho2 said:

@ohgeez said:

Alienware is a brand name which you are paying a marked up price for. Its like the reason why apple products are much more expensive than their competitors such as android on mobile or most windows PCs even though they use similar and often times much weaker components.

And the Steam Machine isn't? Did you look at the list of Steam Machines? Some are north of $1000 for a mid range GTX760, albeit with SSDs and a 16GB RAM. But which gamer would put SSDs as a higher priority over their GPU?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

No fucking clue but HTPC gaming builds have been around for awhile and are much better and cheaper. The chassis' of these things are all what I care about. Don't see how this is any different from buying a pre-built. Just Valve promoting their OS I bet.

I mean, just look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL91t2ggcIo&list=FL0Hm4q6tfSPGWomB_VUKjdg

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ohgeez

@jhcho2 said:

@ohgeez said:

@jhcho2 said:

@ohgeez said:

And the Steam Machine isn't? Did you look at the list of Steam Machines? Some are north of $1000 for a mid range GTX760, albeit with SSDs and a 16GB RAM. But which gamer would put SSDs as a higher priority over their GPU?

Yeah you are right, some of them are a rip off. Some of them aren't that bad though.