Who is graphics king?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Who is graphics king? (177 votes)

Star Citizen 47%
Uncharted 4? 16%
The Order? 10%
Killzone: Shadow Fall 3%
It's still Crysis 3 22%

My friends, a while back I asked the grand qeastion, the ultimate qeastion about gaming, as we don't actually give a shit about gameplay in system wars, at all.

It seems some resistance occurred, people saying "oh ah but the PS4 has The Order and Uncharted 4"

I ask you now my beloved ones, let us settle this score once and or and for and.

What is the current graphics king?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Wasdie: I agree about your comments on lighting. I think a lot of people are missing the very subtle effects on what makes games like The Order truly stand out.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#52 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: I don't know what kind of settings you've played BF4 on, but the game looks as good and better in a lot of areas than BF3. It uses the same renderer with higher quality assets.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Is it me?

Star Citizen looks really cool.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

dumbest poll ever. 3 of the games aren't even out yet to be judged properly. its basically killzone vs crysis 3 and in that case crysis 3

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

@delta3074 said:

star citizen man, anybody that says otherwise seriously needs to go to specsavers,lol

I thought it was actual real reality at first. Looks like Prometheus 2.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@delta3074 said:

star citizen man, anybody that says otherwise seriously needs to go to specsavers,lol

I thought it was actual real reality at first. Looks like Prometheus 2.

You live a very sheltered, sad life, apparently.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#57 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@Telekill said:

Given the in engine trailer for Uncharted 4, I'm going with that. That said, PC is the more capable hardware... IF... you can afford and keep up with all the hardware upgrades.

In my house, PS4 trumps my PC by a significant margin. I may upgrade my PC when Star Citizen releases, but until then, my PC is less powerful than an Xbox 360.

If your PC is even less powerful than Xbox 360 , then by no means it is a Gaming PC . You should build new PC from scratch instead of upgrading it because I don't think it is 64 bit system (necessary to support more than 4GB ram) and I won't be surprised if it doesn't even support PCI-E GPU .

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Wasdie  Moderator

@Heirren said:

@Wasdie: I agree about your comments on lighting. I think a lot of people are missing the very subtle effects on what makes games like The Order truly stand out.

The Order has fantastic rendering. It's what happens when you have modern rendering engines working with modern hardware. A lot of the best looking PC games were still bottlenecked by DX9. There is a reason by BF3/BF4 and Crysis 3 looked so good. They didn't support DX9. They were DX10/11 native.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@Heirren said:

The Order has fantastic rendering. It's what happens when you have modern rendering engines working with modern hardware. A lot of the best looking PC games were still bottlenecked by DX9. There is a reason by BF3/BF4 and Crysis 3 looked so good. They didn't support DX9. They were DX10/11 native.

Native resolution is ideal, but it isn't a deal breaker. What factors in when a game isn't native 1080p is the display device. If you've got a good tv the game is going to look better than if you've got a budget model. That's true regardless, but moreso when a game is under the native resolution. I'm really hoping some of these ps4 games that look great are also great games. I've given serious thought to selling my ps4.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

vampire rain ftw

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@gpuking said:

What's the point of doing a poll if hermits are gonna choose anything but console games no matter what. Yeah UC4 could look better than Avatar CG yet biased hermits would still say Crysis 3 looks better lol.

An excellent point my friend, the order should be dominating since it won all those awards.

Something is wrong.

nothing is wrong. This forum transitioned to become hermspot.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#63 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I know its only the CGI cutscene at the start of the game, but the start of Civilisation V was some of the best graphics i've ever seen.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Ummm, we have no gameplay to go by for Uncharted 4 yet... Have people forgotten that cutscenes in Naughty dog games, while using thein-game engine, are touched up a great deal. Gameplay in the Last of Us didn't look anywhere near the cutscenes especially in the facial detail.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Let it be noted my friends, that on this wonderful sky blue day, August 20th in the year of our lord, 2014, that it came to pass, Star Citizen officially became known as the official graphics king of the people. Officially official. Forever.

From hence forth the ability to create graphic threads should probably be disabled. For all Sony users.

When an animals in pain it gets put out of it's misery. Aspiration without reward is misery. Doing so would be a humanitarian act.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

I'll take FUD poll for the win!!

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

A guy comes and posts downsampled shots and people start saying there's no difference in BF3 and BF4. If this isn't a generational leap, then I don't know what is.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Wasdie  Moderator

@faizan_faizan: Thank you.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#69 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I think a game should released and buyable in order to be in the running.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I am...my textures are amazing and I have CGI quality

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Can't say Star Citizen at this point since all we've seen are lifeless hangars and empty space. Lets see those graphics in a city with hundreds of npc's going about their daily activities.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I still think Last Light on PC looks better than Crysis 3

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I think a game should released and buyable in order to be in the running.

Was going to say the same thing. How many times has a game look fantastic prior to release only to be downgraded in the final build?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Let it be noted my friends, that on this wonderful sky blue day, August 20th in the year of our lord, 2014, that it came to pass, Star Citizen officially became known as the official graphics king of the people. Officially official. Forever.

From hence forth the ability to create graphic threads should probably be disabled. For all Sony users.

When an animals in pain it gets put out of it's misery. Aspiration without reward is misery. Doing so would be a humanitarian act.

Yawn. You're an absolutely terrible troll.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

I still think Last Light on PC looks better than Crysis 3

There are a few areas it looks better like textures and some of the character/monster models, but I think overall crysis 3 looks better.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

considering the only real footage you have seen of unreal tournament is a flat shaded room and a version of face ripped straight from ut99 thats a pretty smart statement.

Nobody but you talked about Unreal Tournament,someone's clearly jelly.

@gpuking said:

What's the point of doing a poll if hermits are gonna choose anything but console games no matter what. Yeah UC4 could look better than Avatar CG yet biased hermits would still say Crysis 3 looks better lol.

Someone's salty of the results

@amazonangry said:

Glad to see The Order is winner, which is true.

Delusional cow meltdown confirmed

except for the hermit who posted directly before me. do you even read?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@m3dude1 said:

@MonsieurX said:

@m3dude1 said:

considering the only real footage you have seen of unreal tournament is a flat shaded room and a version of face ripped straight from ut99 thats a pretty smart statement.

Nobody but you talked about Unreal Tournament,someone's clearly jelly.

@gpuking said:

Someone's salty of the results

@amazonangry said:

Glad to see The Order is winner, which is true.

Delusional cow meltdown confirmed

except for the hermit who posted directly before me. do you even read?

Still waiting for that quote that I'm hyping that game

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

The game you were too scared to put on the poll:

A real next gen open world game unlike your Pew Pew PS360 ported corridor shooters. Feel that butthurt.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Pray_to_me: Too scared? Just another game that would have lost in the poll :(

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 faizan_faizan

@Wasdie said:

Loading Video...

PBR + IES lighting profiles + reflections for some realism = CG.

IES lighting profiles is very close to what photometric light is in 3DS Max or whatever it's named in Maya. The Order and the new Silent Hills demo also use this, probably explains why they don't look all shiny like last-gen games.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Technical wise it probably will be Star Citizen

None technical wise I'd have to say The Wolf Among Us or LoZ on Wii U

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By m3dude1

@faizan_faizan said:

A guy comes and posts downsampled shots and people start saying there's no difference in BF3 and BF4. If this isn't a generational leap, then I don't know what is.

bf3 is first in each pair of images

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@m3dude1 said:

BF3 can look good, but BF4 looks better. The end.

No, there is no subjective opinions here. There is fact. BF4 is everything the BF3 renderer was + additional features and MUCH higher resolution assets. It's not even a competition. This is not debatable. Ignoring this is being as ignorant as you can be and at this point is just blatant trolling.

Also what's with the FoV in those BF4 pictures? It looks like it's around 55-60.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 m3dude1

the images speak for themselves.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

why the hell is killzone on the list? sense makes no.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 faizan_faizan

@m3dude1 said:

There are polygonal edges everywhere in BF3. Its mostly pre-baked lighting might look good in screenshots, but its awfully simple geometry and low resolution textures are no where near BF4's. I'm not sure why you even posted that.

@Wasdie said:

@m3dude1 said:

No, there is no subjective opinions here. There is fact. BF4 is everything the BF3 renderer was + additional features and MUCH higher resolution assets. It's not even a competition. This is not debatable. Ignoring this is being as ignorant as you can be and at this point is just blatant trolling.

Also what's with the FoV in those BF4 pictures? It looks like it's around 55-60. The game also looks like it's not even running the full settings. Hell it looks like it's actually upresing because the internal renderer is set to less than 100%.

This, too.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@EasyComeEasyGo said:

Star Citizen. Why the Hell you put Uncharted 4 and 1886 up there? Those games are not out yet.

Kind of weird that Rise isn't there considering.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 m3dude1

@faizan_faizan said:

@m3dude1 said:

There are polygonal edges everywhere in BF3. Its mostly pre-baked lighting might look good in screenshots, but its awfully simple geometry and low resolution textures are no where near BF4's. I'm not sure why you even posted that.

@Wasdie said:

@m3dude1 said:

Also what's with the FoV in those BF4 pictures? It looks like it's around 55-60. The game also looks like it's not even running the full settings. Hell it looks like it's actually upresing because the internal renderer is set to less than 100%.

This, too.

so you think the bf4 images look better? and bf4 uses the same prebaked lighting as bf3.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@m3dude1 said:

so you think the bf4 images look better? and bf4 uses the same prebaked lighting as bf3.

Those images you picked were cherry picked garbage. I could easily do that with any game. You picked some of the least cluttered/detailed maps you could have and lowered the FoV (no way that's above 60).

Here's some BF4 pics I just snapped...

There's also nothing wrong with prebaked lighting at all. If you're not going to do a dynamic night/day cycle or radically change the world lighting, prebaked lighting looks better and is much cheaper on systems. I would much rather the game run well than look a bit worse and run like crap. It's a competitive shooter, not a graphic card benchmark.

The geometries of the two games aren't even close. BF4 has much higher detail geometries, textures, materials, shading, and way better LoDing. Despite all of this the game ran really well on a wide variety of machines.

BF4 is the better looking game. Anybody who's actually played both will say that. Just because the game wasn't working right on launch doesn't make the game all of a sudden ugly.

Also the website decided to downres the pictures, I took them at 1440p but they were downscaled. Sad.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By m3dude1

is the prebaked lighting statement directed to me? how are my screens cherry picked? i just chose 3 maps that are very close in size and have similar types of environments. bf4 actually has worse lod and many of the assets are very poor(especially the trees.....so fugly). just compare the 2nd assault maps to the bf3 versions if you want to easily see the worse lod in bf4.

edit - just saw you added a FOV comment. FOV is 90 in both bf4 and bf3

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@m3dude1: BF4 does not have worse LoD. I've played both games extensively on the highest settings on the PC. BF4 is a better looking game all around. It's really not a competition.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Dat FoV. You can clearly tell you are a consolite.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 faizan_faizan

@m3dude1 said:

Yes. Do you actually think otherwise? LOL.

That's not what I meant, I intended to convey that there are less dynamic light sources in BF3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#96  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

From all the games I've seen in motion (so I'll not count Uncharted 4 until gameplay is shown), The Order was actually the one that impressed me more. Star Citizen may be the technically most demanding game but in motion The Order had more visual candy imho.

inb4youonlysaythatbecauseyou'reacow

PS: Now that I think of it, the P.T. (Silent Hills) demo was very impressive and the closest I've seen of photorealism. It made me feel I was really there...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 m3dude1

@faizan_faizan said:

@m3dude1 said:

Yes. Do you actually think otherwise? LOL.

That's not what I meant, I intended to convey that there are less dynamic light sources in BF3.

i dont see how anyone can look at those images and honestly say bf4 looks better

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Wasdie  Moderator

@m3dude1 said:

i dont see how anyone can look at those images and honestly say bf4 looks better

Because you intentionally took terrible pictures of BF4.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By m3dude1

you act like i ran to some obscure part of the map and found some nearly out of bounds area with some super low res texture and blocky geometry. the bf3 images i used also are just random shots showing a wide view of the landscape, not some meticulously searched for spot showing the graphics in the best light possible.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Wasdie  Moderator

And you're somehow ignoring all of the much improved geometry, textures, lighting, shading, and particle effects (especially particle effects) of BF4 over BF3.