Who enjoyed Alien's Colonial Marines. Did you play Alien Isolation & AVP?

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

I always feel like the odd one out who actually enjoyed playing Colonial Marines, at the time though there was already working fixes for visuals and AI.. i never had any problem that others encountered so my view of the game is rather rosy.

As you can see the game was bought with all DLC in 2013, i finished it in 2013, and for some reason there it says it was last played in 2018, i have not touched it since but my memories were that it was a competent game that was a blast with co-op.

I also have AVP and never finished one of the campaigns, just got boring.

I also have Alien Isolation which i have not completed either, did not get boring just lost interest.

I am wondering how other people stack all these games up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Didn't play any of them and have no intentions of playing them either.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I bought Colonial Marines for $4 at gamestop and felt like I overpaid by about $20 for the game. It was complete ads, even after the "fixes" it still looked bad, the AI was so dumb it was amusing at times (aliens moonwalking, running into walls, etc) and the controls were really bad as well. It was NO were near complete and really made gearbox look nad in the process.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#4 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I LOVE Isolation. AVP was great playing the Alien. Colonials I never bothered.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I played colonial marines a mate basically gave it to me brand new which was a warning sign. I hated everything about it awful sound effects Terrible graphics. No redeeming factors.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts

The game really wasn't as bad as people made out. I went in with no expectations after hearing how bad it was, played it after a couple of patches and ya know what it was ok. A solid, mindless shooter you would come to expect. Never played the dlc though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

Just play AVP2000.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I've played every single AVP fps and I really enjoyed Isolation as well.

Colonial Marines was not my cup of tea though, it felt like a generic COD rip-off.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Colonial marines is one of those things we never speak of again. Like fiveclub.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

As unlikely as it is, I'd play CM if it ever became bc but after the gem known as Alien Isolation, my expectations would be realistically low.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I didn't and enjoyed AVP and Isolation. AVP more cause Isolation was getting boring by the end.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

LMAO. OP you are wrong and here's why. Type in "worst games ever" into Google. Notice how Colonial Marines is the very first shown. Then notice how it's above Custer's Revenge and way above E.T.

It was so bad that they had a lawsuit from disgruntled players. So yes, your feelings are correct that you are the odd one

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts
Loading Video...

One of the greatest trailers for one of the most disappointing games is what really got me when I saw this trailer at the time. Apparently the game wasn't even developed by Gearbox until the very end, and by then, it was too late. Aliens: CM isn't the first time Gearbox deceived their fan base, they pulled the same crap with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. They showed an incredible video at E3 but when the final product released, they had removed complete sections of the game play shown as well as game play mechanics. CM isn't the worst game out their, it wasn't as bad as Duke Nukem Forever to say the least, the problem there came when Randy lied to us...showing awesome videos and trailer cinematic and failed with all that he promised. I played through the whole game thinking it might get better since I'm a huge Aliens fan but nope. Never does and it actually gets disappointing towards the end.

What pains me most is that this trailer is extremely good lol.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Didn't like Colonial Marines or Isolation but really enjoyed AvP 3. Singleplayer was a bit short but multiplayer was a lot of fun too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Alien Isolation is easily the best uses of the Alien license in games to date. AVP 2010 was okay, disappointing in some respects but overall I still had a lot of fun with it. Never bothered with Colonial Marines though, saw no point in it.

I would also recommend Aliens Infestation on th DS, that was a good bit of fun, maybe my favorite Aliens side-scroller after Aliens 3 from the SNES, or the Konami Aliens arcade game.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@superfluousreal:

I loved it. Colonial Marines was a fun mindless shooter, like Left for Dead. The campaign was really fun too! Especially with a partner!

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I'm a huge Alien fan, and Colonial Marines took everything that Aliens was, shat on it, and tried to serve it to us on a bronze platter. It was an atrocity of a game that never should have been released, and a permanent crap stain on the resume that is Gearbox. It sucked.

AVP 1 way back in the day was great, and AVP 2 was even better, but the new AVP was okay at best; it had some issues that were annoying, but it was alright as an Alien/Predator game. The fact that they made the levels tiny as hell, and allowed basically no freedom to move around the levels made the Predator levels awful. The Alien levels weren't much better. Only the Marine campaign was anything decent. The MP was all sorts of unbalanced, being that the certain species were way overpowered compared to others.

Isolation is easily the best Alien game ever made, and the only one I can truly recommend. AVP 1 and 2 is perhaps recommended for some nostalgic value, but I'm not sure how well they have aged.

FOX is sitting on a goldmine with these franchises, and they seem to be capitalizing on Alien somewhat with Isolation, but why is there no open world stealth game where you play as the Predator? Make it 3rd person, allow you to collect trophies from enemies you kill to customize what you look like, and put in caches where you can upgrade your Predator gear.

Also, why can't they make another decent Alien movie? They keep doing prequels, and they keep giving us characters that have no chemistry and don't get any character development.

Actually, same with Predator, although I'm not going to say the early Predator movies had much character development, but they sure as hell could do better with the source material.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

AvP first marine level was arguably one of the best FPS levels ever! And all of them are sooo much better than the shit show of colonial....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: I take it you wasn't a fan of Alien Covenant? I thought it was alight.....but you could literally expect everything that is going to happen and I can tell you now, Ridley Scott lost his fine touch, he cannot make a good Alien movie anymore. Don't even get me started on that last Predator film either.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@davillain- said:

@DragonfireXZ95: I take it you wasn't a fan of Alien Covenant? I thought it was alight.....but you could literally expect everything that is going to happen and I can tell you know, Ridley Scott lost his fine touch, he cannot make a good Alien movie anymore. Don't even get me started on that last Predator film either.

I will say Covenant was better than Alien 3 and Resurrection. Resurrection had its moments, but they turned all of the characters into caricatures, while Alien 3 had no real memorable characters. I also liked it more than Prometheus, but yeah, it was just an okay movie. I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

Alien and Aliens, however, are fantastic.

And yeah, that last Predator film was just awful. At least AVP was passable, although they royally screwed AVP2. Lol

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

AvP is a decent game especially the marine campaign i really enjoyed that . The Alien and the Predator campaign though were not as good and felt quite restrictive ( bigger levels and open world approach would have helped tremendously )

Alien Isolation was also good but it dragged on way more than it should