Who else thinks the PC was the best last gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts

I see a lot of stuff about the PS2 being the best system last gen. Best console is one thing, but I don't think anything stood up to the PC last gen. It had a ton of awesome games. Sure, a lot of them were ported, but the PC just had so many games. There were mods to make sure the PC almost always had the best version of any game, some made the game look better, some were complete conversion you couldn't get on a console. And it seems it'll be doing great this gen too.

EditEdit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EditEdit
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

I see a lot of stuff about the PS2 being the best system last gen. Best console is one thing, but I don't think anything stood up to the PC last gen. It had a ton of awesome games. Sure, a lot of them were ported, but the PC just had so many games. There were mods to make sure the PC almost always had the best version of any game, some made the game look better, some were complete conversion you couldn't get on a console. And it seems it'll be doing great this gen too.

fatzombiepigeon
I wished I had a PC last gen. But I got an Xbox so I'm happy either way.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
well when I got a decent pc in 2004 I gave up on my ps2 which I had wasted $180nzd on getting a new lazer only a few months earlier.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
PC's last gen was last week. Seriously, PCs are coming up with processor, video card, sound card and other upgrades so frequently you would have to spend money all the time to keep your PC up to date. That's why I think it's safer to play console game. No installing, no compatibility problems, no button mapping, no calibrating. I'm not saying PC gaming is inferior, it's just too tedious for me, that and I can't play Nintendo games on a PC (legally).
Avatar image for volumetricCloud
volumetricCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 volumetricCloud
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
PS2
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
pc doesn't work in generations. It's something that only counts for consoles.
If you think about the same timeline, it completely blew away any console. The pc had more AAA exclusives than all the others combined.
Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
[QUOTE="fatzombiepigeon"]

EditEdit
I wished I had a PC last gen. But I got an Xbox so I'm happy either way.

You OWN a PC.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
PC's last gen was last week. Seriously, PCs are coming up with processor, video card, sound card and other upgrades so frequently you would have to spend money all the time to keep your PC up to date. That's why I think it's safer to play console game. No installing, no compatibility problems, no button mapping, no calibrating. I'm not saying PC gaming is inferior, it's just too tedious for me, that and I can't play Nintendo games on a PC (legally).Boba_Fett_3710
Well, I seem to be able to buy me a computer every 3 years and play every game that comes out on it. Jeez, hitting the next button on the Install menu is really hard....and button mapping? calibrating? reaching for straws a little, eh?
-Feath-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 -Feath-
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
PC's last gen was last week. Seriously, PCs are coming up with processor, video card, sound card and other upgrades so frequently you would have to spend money all the time to keep your PC up to date. That's why I think it's safer to play console game. No installing, no compatibility problems, no button mapping, no calibrating. I'm not saying PC gaming is inferior, it's just too tedious for me, that and I can't play Nintendo games on a PC (legally).Boba_Fett_3710
Its a common misconception that you need to upgrade every few years, if you buy a good pc now for around £600-700, you have a PC that is equal or better than an X360 or PS3, far better value for money. You dont need to upgrade again until the next generation of consoles appears. Pc gaming is cheaper, and has the biggest back catalogue of great games. Plus all the other functions you can use, like having a proper internet browser or useful tools that help keep your system running perfectly. And honestly, button mapping? Running low on ideas for flamebait there, the vast majority of games have perfect button mapping for me out the box, and unless you are hellbent on using some weird-ass control scheme, you will find the majority of games wont match your scheme.
Avatar image for volumetricCloud
volumetricCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 volumetricCloud
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
The PC had some great games like Half life 2, Civilization. WoW.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
PC is a nice gaming rig if you already need a pc, but people that only use there pc for gaming and internet are pretty much wasting money.

First to be a pc gamer you have to be a pc person, you can't get by w/out knowing your hardware n such, and quite frankly most consumers don't want to deal w/ that.  They want to walk into a store buy something and take it home plug it in and play.  Alot of console games reflect this simple instant gratification idea, and pc games reflect just the opposite.

I'm a fairly smart pc user and even I have went through 3 pcs since 2000 (one was a laptop, but I'm never making that mistake again), and I don't plan on the next rig I'm building (multi-core cpu, dx10, 4gigs ram, 500gb) to last as long as a 360 will gaming wise w/out upgrades.  Why?, well because I've been a pc gamer long enough  (since my C64 days in the early 90s) to know that on average you'll want new hardware every year, and you'll need new hardware every 2 years to keep up w/ modern gaming.  Sometimes you can luck out and maybe get hardware that'll last 3-4 years, like some people did with the Geforce 6 series, and 939 socketed AMDs, but those results aren't typical.

I think alot of self-titled hermits (I call em that cause I never see em post on the pc forum) that come into system wars are looking for a way to justify spending 800$+ on a gaming rig (I know many spend easily up towards the $2k mark).  They say it's better but it's really not it's just different, and therefore harder to argue against (sort of reminds me of the sheep and their "innovation" argument).
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Gamecube for me. Wind Waker + 2 Metroids + 6 Resident Evils = Maximum Pwnage imo.