Who else is worried that BioShock 2 might end up like FEAR 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Which, in my opinion, is technically solid (sound) experience, but rather uninspiring and failing to make any meaningful and significant improvements over the original

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

YOU CAN USE A BIG DADDY DRILL.

Nuff Said.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Different team making it, Development hell and delays, and the original team was asked to help and they said "NO".

Doesn't sound like an awesome formula to me. I'm sure it will be good, but I doubt it's greatness right now.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Even if they did a great job it wouldn't be as good. I've already explored rapture, give me a new setting.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

Nah, BioShock 2 will be AAA.

F.E.A.R. always sucked. This is coming from a guy who bought F.E.A.R. on PC the day it released. The mashup of Japanese horror cliches in a horribly made atmospheric setting of offices, was utter fail.

Every little piece of gameplay and story looks even better in #2. The turn to altruism with Sophia Lamb will be interesting. Again, very political, but also very religious.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

F.E.A.R. always sucked. This is coming from a guy who bought F.E.A.R. on PC the day it released. The mashup of Japanese horror cliches in a horribly made atmospheric setting of offices, was utter fail.

Every little piece of gameplay and story looks even better in #2. The turn to altruism with Sophia Lamb will be interesting. Again, very political, but also very religious.

BioShockOwnz

What ? Original FEAR for PC was AAA there was nothing on the market like that game. The graphics , story, gameplay was off the hook. So i disagree.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

I'm pretty sketchy about this.

I just don't think the game needed a sequel. What's wrong with a new IP? Even if it's another "Shock" game.

It's interesing that you bring up F.E.A.R. The original was absolutely incredible in every way. It, to me, is everything a corridor shooter should be, and then some. It scared the living crap out of me for days, and even now it looks great when it's maxed out.

Then F.E.A.R. 2 comes along and it's a consolized, arcadey mess with mechs and... ugh don't get me started.

The only other shooter I have seen fall from grace like that is Far Cry. Far Cry 2 is an abomination that never should have been released, and certainly should not have been called Far Cry.

Even Battlefield, though they slipped with that awful console release on PS2/Xbox, has regained a strong presence with Bad Company, 1943, and soon BFBC2.

Half Life seems to be one of the only shooters from 2000-2005 that hasn't shown a significant dip in quality, and that's probably because they haven't released a real installment in the franchise since 2004.

I am on the fence about MW, since MW2 is a good game, but I think it could have been so much more. Killzone 2 is obviously a huge improvement over the original, but it's too young and unproven as a franchise to be mentioned along the big dogs, even though I liked KZ2 almost as much as any of them.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

telefanatic

What ? Original FEAR for PC was AAA there was nothing on the market like that game. The graphics , story, gameplay was off the hook. So i disagree.

I agree with you. The original F.E.A.R. was incredible, and the sequel was a cash-in designed for consoles.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

telefanatic

It was overrated trash. The environments and gameplay were both repetitive and dull. Slow motion was done before. The only thing it did good was AI.

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]I'm pretty sketchy about this. I just don't think the game needed a sequel. What's wrong with a new IP? Even if it's another "Shock" game. It's interesing that you bring up F.E.A.R. The original was absolutely incredible in every way. It, to me, is everything a corridor shooter should be, and then some. It scared the living crap out of me for days, and even now it looks great when it's maxed out. Then F.E.A.R. 2 comes along and it's a consolized, arcadey mess with mechs and... ugh don't get me started. The only other shooter I have seen fall from grace like that is Far Cry. Far Cry 2 is an abomination that never should have been released, and certainly should not have been called Far Cry. Even Battlefield, though they slipped with that awful console release on PS2/Xbox, has regained a strong presence with Bad Company, 1943, and soon BFBC2. Half Life seems to be one of the only shooters from 2000-2005 that hasn't shown a significant dip in quality, and that's probably because they haven't released a real installment in the franchise since 2004. I am on the fence about MW, since MW2 is a good game, but I think it could have been so much more. Killzone 2 is obviously a huge improvement over the original, but it's too young and unproven as a franchise to be mentioned along the big dogs, even though I liked KZ2 almost as much as any of them.

I think KZ2 can get mentioned with the big dogs. Game was awesome with good unique feel, great enemy ai, cover system, beautiful graphics, and great multiplayer
darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

BioShockOwnz
I disagree on the gameplay of Fear, the shooting was satisfying, and the AI was great. But the japanese horror cliches really did ruin the experience for me. "Ooohhh a creepy girl flickers onto my screen. And she was abused or something right?" Keep it in the movies, it was already stale in that format.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
[QUOTE="Hahadouken"] I agree with you. The original F.E.A.R. was incredible, and the sequel was a cash-in designed for consoles.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that (I own it on PC). The sequel had a much stronger narrative and a ton more variety in both gameplay and environment. Plus, the graphics are extremely underrated. They're some of the better ones this generation. The AI was just as good as it was in FEAR with numerous other improvements like the cover system (which benefited the enemies more than you). The blood and similar particle effects were vastly improved, as was the dismemberment, but something a ton of FPS this generation lack is good gunplay and it's no exception. It lacked the feeling of power that a lot of guns in the first game had (especially the shotgun), and they didn't bring back a lot of the more interesting weapons like the mp-50 from the first game. It ruined the experience for a lot of people and defniitely took away from the immersion. Oh, and the online was pretty lame too. BS2 doesn't look that great though. I didn't care for the first one since a lot of developer promises weren't followed through with.
pattyp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pattyp77
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts

I think we just have to resign to the fact that its not likely to be as good as the first.

BioShock was special because of its unique setting and concept... No-way can it have the same effect twice.

I'm sure it will be a great game though, with improvements aplenty... It's a day 1 buy for me.

NightmareCV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NightmareCV
Member since 2007 • 440 Posts
I actually think it has the potential to be better as playing as a character who has been asleep the last 10 years they found a way to bring mystery back to Rapture. As far as FEAR 2 is concerned, I think it was a more capable shooter, but it lacked anything but attempts at shock horror. If you haven't yet, play the expansion I thought it was much better constructed than the single player campaign.
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#15 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

There were moments of F.E.A.R. 2 that were jaw-dropping, but overall it felt like it was just trying to outdo its predecessor in every way, which made it feel a little silly and overdone. It lost a lot of its atmosphere and story but had great set-pieces and genuine scary moments.I think Bioshock 2 will follow the exact same pattern.

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

There were moments of F.E.A.R. 2 that were jaw-dropping, but overall it felt like it was just trying to outdo its predecessor in every way, which made it feel a little silly and overdone. It lost a lot of its atmosphere and story but had great set-pieces and genuine scary moments.I think Bioshock 2 will follow the exact same pattern.

skinny_man_69
The problem with FEAR2 was that it was short and had no memorable set pieces. It had some great stuff in there and the combat was more than capable but it lacked something
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#17 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
[QUOTE="jyoung312"][QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

The problem with FEAR2 was that it was short and had no memorable set pieces. It had some great stuff in there and the combat was more than capable but it lacked something

I do admit that it lacked soul, but I would argue it had some very memorable moments. Unfortunately, those are spoilers and I cannot go into detail. I will just limit it to "some of the street battles and the ending" :P
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

If you mean better gameplay with a worse story, maybe.

I liked FEAR 2. Not great or anything, but worth the 20 bucks I paid for it.

I am very worried about Bioshock 2 however. The development has been... ugly.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
what are you even talking about?? im just saying it will be diffrent in some ways not totally diffrent in others..
Syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Syferonik
Member since 2006 • 3060 Posts
After seeing its awesome looking CE it just can't fail.