Who can agree that Hideo Kojima is greedy?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

Everyone is always hating on Acitivi$ion and Electronic Art$ for how greedy they are, and for good reason, they are as greedy as f*ck.
But Hideo Kojima is as bad, if not worse, yet he gets away with everything because he can coat his cash grabs with storyteling, here are examples of how greedy Kojima is:

• 2008: Metal Gear Solid 4: 4 hours of single player gameplay, online where you had no choice but to pay real money for content, even new character slots cost real money.
  • 2014: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros: A game that can be completed in less than an hour, it was half the price of a normal game but that is still far too expensive.
  • 2015: Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain: There are rumours that the ability to hide under cardboard boxes (a series classic) will be DLC.

So who can agree that Hideo Kojima is greedy?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Shouldn't you blame the company?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

greedy for christian side hugs

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

He's released 2 games in 6 years...

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

greedy for christian side hugs

Aren't we all?!?!

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I saw him eat a whole pack of doughnuts once, he's a greedy greedy man.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Wow, such a change of community character after several years, go back to 2008 and you'd be stoned to death for saying such things about MGS4, all those cow fakers saying it was their favorite game and the best game ever and blah blah blah... is it over? Are you guys finally able to say the Emperor has no clothes on yet?

Anyhow, don't blame the company or Kojima, blame the community of gamers who propped this shit up as something that it never was. That's why the series doesn't improve, because fanboys feign satisfaction for reasons other than the merits of the game itself. How should they know to do better if they're not getting the proper feedback from the gaming community?

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Nah, he just can't make up his mind.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#10 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Yep. Greedy bastard. Not as greedy as Microsoft though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

...until you go to Federal Prison

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@RageQuitter69 said:

Everyone is always hating on Acitivi$ion and Electronic Art$ for how greedy they are, and for good reason, they are as greedy as f*ck.

But Hideo Kojima is as bad, if not worse, yet he gets away with everything because he can coat his cash grabs with storyteling, here are examples of how greedy Kojima is:

• 2008: Metal Gear Solid 4: 4 hours of single player gameplay, online where you had no choice but to pay real money for content, even new character slots cost real money.
  • 2014: Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeros: A game that can be completed in less than an hour, it was half the price of a normal game but that is still far too expensive.
  • 2015: Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain: There are rumours that the ability to hide under cardboard boxes (a series classic) will be DLC.

I despise MGS4 for more reasons than I can count.... but you're wrong. It's a 4 hour game if you're pro at it and you're going for a Big Boss run. It becomes a 4 hour game once you've already invested well over 30 or 40 hours.

Ground Zeroes. Again wrong. You can complete the first mission in under an hour if you're lucky. Yet you wouldn't have begun to enjoy the content available for that mission and you wouldn't have touched the other 6, or tried the higher difficulties that do make a drastic difference to how the game is played.

TPP. I'm assuming this is an attempt at a joke. Hurhurhur.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Buttsecks is its own reward.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Figuring out ways to keep people paying you money is central to the business of making money.

If people are happy to pay money for a product, then there is no issue. It's their money to use as they see fit.

Personally, I couldn't be arsed to pay $30 for an hour long experience that is merely a prologue to something substantially larger. And given how little time I have to play games these days, replay value won't factor into my decision.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

That's not true.

KojiPro has created 4 original works in that time. Not to mention helped with other projects.

http://www.giantbomb.com/kojima-productions/3010-2057/developed/

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Video gaming is a business. Enough said.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@RageQuitter69 said:

Blaming for a rumor is stupid. It isn't fact so he isn't guilty. Its the same as blaming MS for stupid policies that never went through. You're high horse judging others for things that aren't done.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Nah... Kojima aint greedy, The fanbase simply encouraged him to be crazy enough to pull crap like that, and now we all pay the price for it :)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, such a change of community character after several years, go back to 2008 and you'd be stoned to death for saying such things about MGS4, all those cow fakers saying it was their favorite game and the best game ever and blah blah blah... is it over? Are you guys finally able to say the Emperor has no clothes on yet?

Anyhow, don't blame the company or Kojima, blame the community of gamers who propped this shit up as something that it never was. That's why the series doesn't improve, because fanboys feign satisfaction for reasons other than the merits of the game itself. How should they know to do better if they're not getting the proper feedback from the gaming community?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@lundy86_4 said:

That's not true.

KojiPro has created 4 original works in that time. Not to mention helped with other projects.

http://www.giantbomb.com/kojima-productions/3010-2057/developed/

My bad. I was solely going off what the TC offered. Still, it's not all that terrible.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner

Holy shit lamprey, this series improves more from sequel to sequel than most. Please share the dope man.

Yeah, MGS4 was a POS and cows on this board that probably never played the game worshiped it. Don't throw the rest of the series and the actual fans under that shit storm of an umbrella though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lostrib

@ConanTheStoner said:

Holy shit lamprey, this series improves more from sequel to sequel than most. Please share the dope man.

Yeah, MGS4 was a POS and cows on this board that probably never played the game worshiped it. Don't throw the rest of the series and the actual fans under that shit storm of an umbrella though.

Why is MGS4 such a polarizing game for the series? especially since it was so critically acclaimed

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner

@foxhound_fox said:

Personally, I couldn't be arsed to pay $30 for an hour long experience that is merely a prologue to something substantially larger.

Dude, please, STAHP. I see this crap a lot, but it sucks seeing it from an actual fan that just doesn't know any better.

You'll be feeling very foolish when you finally play it lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@lostrib said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Why is MGS4 such a polarizing game for the series? especially since it was so critically acclaimed

Mainly story. Story in MGS has always been dumb, but it had plenty of redeeming qualities. Plenty of fun in all the goofyness of it all. MGS4 took itself seriously and did a terrible job of it. Plus it contradicted so much of what happened in the other games and ruined so many of the characters that it's hard to even consider it canon.

The gameplay was also kind of boring and the few bright spots it had were pretty much done by the 2nd chapter (of 5 in total).

Other than that it was very stripped down. All of the depth and cool easter eggs and such that you would typically find in MGS games were pretty much gone.

Also, the bosses sucked.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

@ConanTheStoner said:

Other than that it was very stripped down. All of the depth and cool easter eggs and such that you would typically find in MGS games were pretty much gone.

Big Boss' discussion with SIGINT about the custom M1911A1 he was using during Operation Snake Eater was one of the best, and most detailed description about a gun I've ever heard in a video game.

And the classic "I was born to be in this box" was just the icing on the cake.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@foxhound_fox said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Big Boss' discussion with SIGINT about the custom M1911A1 he was using during Operation Snake Eater was one of the best, and most detailed description about a gun I've ever heard in a video game.

Definitely. I LOVE those moments. MGS4 pretty much had none.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@ConanTheStoner said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Definitely. I LOVE those moments. MGS4 pretty much had none.

I don't remember anything of the sort in 4. Even amongst all the fan service, I felt like there was no Metal Gear "soul" there, as if Kojima didn't have a hand in the game at all, and was just a casual overseer.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By XboxDone74

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Please prove, to your Caesar, that all greedy people have gone to prison, citizen.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Please prove, to your Caesar, that all greedy people have gone to prison, citizen.

Have you seen the movie Wall Street?

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

MGS4 took me 24 hours to beat on my first play through it was a $60 well spent at least for me lol

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XboxDone74

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Obviously, citizen. But that is not what your Caesar asked you. I asked for you to prove all greedy people go to prison.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

@lostrib said:

The only MGS title that was really polarizing among the fans was MGS2. Personally, I love it. Some hate it with fair reasons. A lot of them didn't 'get it'. I know that sounds pretentious, but it's true. Some of them still don't understand the game to this day.

With MGS4, most fans will tell you that it's shit. Critics ignored the mountains of flaws and gave it perfect scores. Sony fanboys ate it up. Here on SW people treated it like some game of the generation. If you were around any MGS fan community at the time it was a completely different tune. People were pissed and still are.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lostrib

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

@lostrib said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Obviously, citizen. But that is not what your Caesar asked you. I asked for you to prove all greedy people go to prison.

That's not what I said. And why would I do what you asked anyways?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@Wiimotefan said:

@lostrib said:

The only MGS title that was really polarizing among the fans was MGS2. Personally, I love it. Some hate it with fair reasons. A lot of them didn't 'get it'. I know that sounds pretentious, but it's true. Some of them still don't understand the game to this day.

With MGS4, most fans will tell you that it's shit. Critics ignored the mountains of flaws and gave it perfect scores. Sony fanboys ate it up. Here on SW people treated it like some game of the generation. If you were around any MGS fan community at the time it was a completely different tune. People were pissed and still are.

well now I'm just really confused. I'll just have to play through them

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Wiimotefan said:

@lostrib said:

Iv seen MGS4 be called awesome and shit.It seems split if anything.Me being a big MGS fan MGS4 is my second favorite MGS game.To be honest the only real beef I have with the MGS is MGS3 and thats cause of only 1 thing the bosses.Only one worth a note was the final one man that was awesome.Though bosses aside everything els was great.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'm not sure about greedy but he sure is overrated. Konami needs to go back to their glory days.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I would like a new IP from him or a ZOE game.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I blame the gamers.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

If Kojima had his way I highly doubt Ground Zeroes would have had this price point. There are a few examples out there of Konami going against Kojimas wishes, most notably the handling of MGO2 with the Konami ID fiasco and the MGO store. They tried to keep everything off of the PSN grid and ended up hurting the game because of it. A greedy move by Konami that didn't pay off at all. This is likely a similar situation.

I would also fully agree that Ground Zeroes is a cash grab. What they're attempting to do with MGS5 is unprecedented for Konami. They're trying to build a massive game, one with the amount of content you'd find in a GTA or TES game, but with the production values and polish of a main series MGS title. They've hired some of the best talent, they're running a huge team (two teams actually) and they're still having to outsource a lot of work. The Fox Engine and MGS5 have been in development and pre-production respectively since 2009 and Konami can't exactly sustain such a ridiculous budget.

I don't say that to defend them, it just happens to be the situation we're dealing with.

All that said, I got more than enough value out of Ground Zeroes for my 30 dollars. I've purchased plenty of full priced games that gave me less bang for my buck.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@RageQuitter69:

Nobody. What you state gives the impression that you are not very smart.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 most definitely had high production values. Everything about the games design was quality. Quality in every facet costs money. The game took me far longer than four hours. Did you honestly skip the cut scenes?

2. Ground Zeroes was released moreso out of fan demand. It was released because mgs5 is a ways off and had he just came on stage and said the game wouldn't be out for two years, it'd recieve a lot of negativity. Related to this, though, GZ a taste of MGS5 on a gameplay front. Kojima realizes that there is GREAT risk in releasing a glorified demo in that people may not care for a game that doesn't give the full experience, have a hard time adjusting to the game mechanics, or simply negative word getting out and about on a game and engine that will continue to cost millions upon millions of dollars in the next couple years.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

The whole gaming industry is greedy, now just Kojima. Can't blame him for wanting a piece of the pie too.

treelog187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 treelog187
Member since 2005 • 2111 Posts

Ground Zeroes was great.

Also the rest of your post is wrong OP.

Have an A1 day.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lostrib

@allthatdown said:

Implying he's any worse than the sneaky japs who bombed Pearl Harbor.

...wow

Seriously?

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@RageQuitter69: No

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kashiwaba

@allthatdown:

Seriously I don't know what's worse a sneak attack on a military base or bombing 2 cities that had 99% population of civilians with atomic bomb ( and don't tell that was necessary to end the war everyone knows it was just massage to Soviets)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Nope, don't agree he's greedy, but I do agree this is a stupid topic.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

@Kashiwaba said:

@allthatdown:

Seriously I don't know what's worse a sneak attack on a military base or bombing 2 cities that had 99% population of civilians with atomic bomb ( and don't tell that was necessary to end the war everyone knows it was just massage to Soviets)

...worst. massage. ever!

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kashiwaba

@lostrib:

Lol I'm typing this on phone with swype.