Who are the best Anti Heroes in gaming?

• 80 results
#1 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10260 posts) -

Hello friends,

In this thread we discuss who are the best anti hero in gaming or in other words who are our fav ones. The Anti Hero are those Heroes who lack heroic quality. they are not bad guys but not complete good. they are not black but not white. they are grey characters or have some grey shades. so characters like Doom guy who is most badass one is not count as anti hero because he is white meat hero.

heres what i think are

Tommy Angelo

The most well written character in gaming history. his evolution in original game was simply fantastic and art of writing. normally he is forced to work with mafia but still maintained his morals. He killed bad mafias, He didn't kill Don friend and let him escape so he can declare him dead, he didn't killed his wife best friend whom he was order too, he couldn't kill innocent and help police to arrest his former boss too.

Max Payne

His story is most depressing story in gaming history. He lost his wife, his daughter, frame for murder of his friend, hunted by cops and criminal, arrest, release, lost another love one, failed to protect family in brazil. and even with that he remain one of the most badass protagonist in gaming history. he dont care about anyone other than getting revenge. and even after years later in max payne 3, he was betrayed by family he suppose to protect and he fight them and never gives up.

Agent 47

Although He is cold blooded killer but he is complete black character as all of his targets are criminal although his motive for killing is not to save other but what his agency ICA told him and he is doing his job. He is perfect example of Grey shaded anti hero.

JC Denton

JC Denton, the main protagonist of greatest game of all time. his look is amazing and thats why i want remake. other than He work for UNATCO who sent to kill "terrorist" but later found out those were freedom fighters and UNATCO work under illuminati so he gone rouge. as a result he was declared most wanted man in the world. as entire universe is against him. what he did was to uncover conspiracy.

Riddick

Another Great example of Anti Hero is Riddick. he is very violent and do anything to escape from butcher bay as im only speaking gaming point of view and not movie point of view as i know vin diesel has portrayed this character to perfection. He even fight till death so he can escape, he was sent to the mines where no one can escape. he is just amazing example of how anti hero could have been.

so my friends, what are you fav anti heroes in gaming? lets discuss.

#2 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

Protoman.

#3 Posted by onesiphorus (2930 posts) -

Kratos from God of War is an anti-hero.

#4 Posted by R-Gamer (427 posts) -

Kratos

#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31421 posts) -

Gimme Max Payne 4

#6 Posted by BassMan (10551 posts) -

Definitely Kratos from the old games. He was such a badass.

#7 Posted by warmblur (2775 posts) -

For me it's

• Max Payne
  • Tommy Vercetti- GTA VC
  • Trevor Philips -GTAV
  • Niko Bellic- GTAIV
  • Wei Shen- Sleeping Dogs
  • Vito Scaletta- Mafia 2
#8 Posted by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

> Stops fight when he realises dude has leukemia

> Doesn't bother fighting Tekken characters until they are worth the effort

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (61702 posts) -

Kratos sucked, man was a little bitch. What a stupid character.

#10 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6847 posts) -

Does Arthur Morgan count? I mean he really did a lot of shitty stuff before his redemption.

Agreed on max payne.

Also niko bellic.

#11 Posted by judaspete (3070 posts) -

Kain and Raziel. While the do end up fighting to save the world (sort of), both their stories started out as revenge quests.

#12 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

Agreed on Max Pain, Nico Bellic, and Akuma.

Can I also add Bowser to the list? Because for a card-carrying villain, he does a lot to keep his universe safe. Plus, after Odyssey, I get the feeling Peach and Mario view him more as an annoying little brother than a real threat.

And the following:

Magus from Chrono Trigger.

2B and 9S from NieR: Automata.

Commander Shepherd.

Geralt of Rivia.

#13 Edited by Heirren (2218 posts) -

Anti hero, ladies and gentlemen. From those i recognize there are many characters not fitting the bill. Kratos? Lol. The Witcher guy? Lol no. Anti hero is like an Otacon character or the guard character with Merril, in MGS4.

#14 Posted by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -

#15 Posted by watercrack445 (1719 posts) -

Batman and Arther morgan

#16 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@boxrekt:

Not an anti hero.

#17 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

Anti hero, ladies and gentlemen. From those i recognize there are many characters not fitting the bill. Kratos? Lol. The Witcher guy? Lol no. Anti hero is like an Otacon character or the guard character with Merril, in MGS4.

The only reason Kratos and Geralt come across as so heroic is because what they are fighting is so much worse than they are (and, to be honest, that's kinda doubtful about Kratos for much of the series).

If your only choices are a murderous sociopath and a cynical mercenary out to bed the entire kingdom, either of which might end up killing you, or creatures that will definitely kill you... It's not so hard to see how they ended up heroes of their stories.

#18 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Huh?

The Half Life guy, thats an anti hero.

#19 Posted by Fedor (5268 posts) -

@heirren: You should look up what the term "anti hero" actually means.

#20 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@fedor:

Lol no need to. Kratos as an anti hero....no. an anti hero is a character which does not exhibit typical hero traits.

#21 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Huh?

The Half Life guy, thats an anti hero.

Yeah, the protagonist of Half Life is an anti-hero. Otacon and the other MGS-series character you mentioned are not; they don't pass the full "hero" set of qualifications that an anti-hero does (in that, mostly, they're support units or bit characters, while anti-heroes tend to be drivers of the story).

A classic modern anti-hero, and one who kinda codified the trope a bit, is Batman.

#22 Posted by Fedor (5268 posts) -

@heirren: I think you need to.

#23 Edited by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Theyre still anti heroes. Secondary roles are when the term is most often used.

As a lead? Willow, thats a prime example. Not Mad Mardigan. the short little dwarf. Hes the anti hero of that story.

#24 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@fedor:

Lol no need to. Kratos as an anti hero....no. an anti hero is a character which does not exhibit typical hero traits.

That's... not an anti-hero.

An anti-hero is a primary character who does what are considered more-villainous activities. Batman, for example, is the DC trope codifier; he's been repeatedly called out, both externally and in-setting, for the sheer brutality of how he takes people down. And that's not counting the number of times he's simply murdered people.

Kratos is very much an anti-hero by modern standards.

#25 Posted by Fedor (5268 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Factually false. Anti heroes are central characters.

#26 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

You seriously, seriously need to look up the term "anti-hero." Because it is not a term that applies to secondary-level characters.

#27 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

It can be applied to any character. I just gave you the definition.

#28 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

It can be applied to any character. I just gave you the definition.

No, you didn't.

Here, this is the definition as most understand it today. Note that an anti-hero is always a major character who takes action and drives the story.

#29 Edited by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Secondary characters can drive the story as well.

For those that say Batman. Lol NO. Batman is literally considered a *SUPER* Hero.

#30 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Secondary characters can drive the story as well.

For those that say Batman. Lol NO. Batman is literally considered a *SUPER* Hero.

First example under the Comic Books section of Anti-Heroes: Batman.

Superheroes can be anti-heroes. And while secondary characters can help drive a plot to a degree, they are not the primary drivers of the plot. Anti-heroes need to be primary drivers of the plot to count.

#31 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20626 posts) -
Goro Majima
Goro Majima

He's more like a hero now, despite being yakuza and acting bat shit crazy, but in the earlier games, he fell under the anti-hero category fittingly.

#32 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Batman was created as a super hero.

To say that any number of characters cannot be written as anti heroes is downright silly.

Im not much of a tv person but from what i have seen of Game of Thrones, the main character that drives the evolving story shifts from character to character to character.

#33 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Batman was created as a super hero.

To say that any number of characters cannot be written as anti heroes is downright silly.

Im not much of a tv person but from what i have seen of Game of Thrones, the main character that drives the evolving story shifts from character to character to character.

Batman was created as a mass-murderer who killed people on a regular basis in the name of "justice." There was nothing heroic about him for decades, and even long after he was still a codified anti-hero. Even today.

And, no, it's not silly. It's literally part of the definition of "antihero." As I linked to.

Game of Thrones is really not a good basis for judging video games. At all. Entirely different types of media.

#34 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Parents in the 40s were okay with their kids reading about a mass murderer?

Games, books, films, tv drama, serials....character is all that matters.

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

Richard B. Riddick

There is no one better.

#36 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Parents in the 40s were okay with their kids reading about a mass murderer?

Games, books, films, tv drama, serials....character is all that matters.

No, they weren't. That's why DC made the rule against Batman killing. But that hasn't stopped him from killing multiple times since then.

Character isn't the only thing that matters; how important the character is also matters.

#37 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

When i think of Batman i think of someone whos morale is set in stone, which has always been to do good. Now, the series has been refreshed countless times, so maybe there are variations or which portray the character differently, but ultimately in that period it was writing super heroes that sold. The Dark Knight Trilogy. Thats the heros journey. I hope you dont think that is Batman as an anti hero.

Story telling evolves as technology evolves.

#38 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36467 posts) -

Ivy Valentine

John Marston

Dante

Rayne

#39 Edited by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

When i think of Batman i think of someone whos morale is set in stone, which has always been to do good. Now, the series has been refreshed countless times, so maybe there are variations or which portray the character differently, but ultimately in that period it was writing super heroes that sold. The Dark Knight Trilogy. Thats the heros journey. I hope you dont think that is Batman as an anti hero.

Story telling evolves as technology evolves.

The antihero is still a hero, and can still undergo a hero's journey. And many of them do not lack morals, just their morals don't exclude seriously hurting people in the process. Or even outright dropping a moral prohibition as soon as it becomes too inconvenient (as Batman does in the last Dark Knight movie). The Dark Knight Trilogy is a fantastic example of an antihero walking the hero's journey.

#40 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

I disagree. Questionable morale, i can agree on, but part of that is in the eye of the beholder. Its called the heroes journey for a reason, because part of that journey is to falter, which would technically make every hero, an anti hero.

I dont recall what he does in the last Dark Knight film. Does a super hero not defeat the villians?

#41 Edited by watercrack445 (1719 posts) -

@heirren: Batman is an anti-hero. He spies on everybody. He holds the most darkest secrets. He instill fear into his enemies.

If Batman runs as ruler of a country, his government style would be a police state.

#42 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@watercrack445:

Everybody, really?! What secrets does he hold?!

Do bad people not deserve that? Hes just telling em like it is.

#43 Edited by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

I disagree. Questionable morale, i can agree on, but part of that is in the eye of the beholder. Its called the heroes journey for a reason, because part of that journey is to falter, which would technically make every hero, an anti hero.

I dont recall what he does in the last Dark Knight film. Does a super hero not defeat the villians?

He uses unnecessary levels of force, uses fear as a weapon, spies on everyone, has plans to kill everyone around him, puts innocents in danger unnecessarily, puts minors in danger unnecessarily, has repeatedly killed over the years despite having morals against killing... Let's not forget dating Catwoman before having her tossed in an insane asylum! And he does all of this willingly, and has done it since the start. This isn't faltering; this is his normal state of morality.

Faltering? That's those storylines where Batman gets beaten or even dies. Not the ones when he shows a lack of comprehensive morals.

He doesn't defeat the villains easily. He starts killing them with firearms, then fakes his own death with a nuclear explosion. Most of the villains get away.

#44 Edited by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Thats the original batman?! Where was Robin to stop him?

I dont ever remember reading anything to that degree. Years ago i bought the og series on the ipad, i think, unless im mistaken and it was superman. Ill have to check it out.

Faltering is not getting beaten or getting killed. Faltering is falling off your moral path.

#45 Edited by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@heirren: i don't follow why Batman can't be an anti-hero. Defeating the bad guys doesn't mean he's not an anti-hero. Lots of anti-heros make defeating the bad guys their schtick - Deadpool and Wolverine are good examples.

To be fair, I've always casually thought of him has a bad Hero - not that great at being a standout example. But actually thinking about it thanks to this thread - I could totally see why people would consider him an antihero instead.

#46 Posted by SOedipus (11548 posts) -

Kratos, John Marston, Arthas.

#47 Edited by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@heirren said:

@baelnergal:

Thats the original batman?! Where was Robin to stop him?

I dont ever remember reading anything to that degree. Years ago i bought the og series on the ipad, i think, unless im mistaken and it was superman. Ill have to check it out.

Faltering is not getting beaten or getting killed. Faltering is falling off your moral path.

That's Batman from start to current. The thing with dating Catwoman and then tossing her in an insane asylum is from the most recent version of him. The plans to kill everyone around him? Had those for years.

Robin is complex... One became Nightwing (who started working for the bad guys in the latest iteration). The one that died and came back is the near-villain Red Hood (and he's crossed the villain line a few times). Then there's Batman's son, Damien, who ended up dying as well... but wasn't really a good person to begin with, so it's hard to see how his death was tragic. But, then, that's what you get when you mix a brooding sociopath (Batman) with a genocidal psychopath (Talia). And don't get me started on Batwoman...

Batgirl is the only one of the Bat family with anything resembling morals. Everyone directly raised by Batman tends to end up evil in some fashion, and often ends up dead as well. And the poor women he becomes serious about...

So, basically, Robin didn't stop him because Robin either went evil or died, depending on which one you're talking about.

Anyway, it's no surprise that even a lot of heroes consider, in-canon, the two archvillains of Gotham to be Batman and the Joker.

#48 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@xantufrog:

I just dont ever recall thinking of the character like that. I could be mistaken but i thought it was the refreshes that gave people that impression of the character.

Regardless were derailing the thread.

Old app store purchases: Usagi Yojimbo. Great character.

#49 Posted by Heirren (2218 posts) -

@baelnergal:

Original comic was him workin with the police chief. Ill have to check this stuff out again. I like to think the original creators intension holds all the weight because the character of batman has been rewritten many times. With the films these days who knows what will end up happening.

#50 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

I never thought about it much, but Garrett from Thief is great.