Which videogame has the best story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
World of warcraft.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#152 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
World of warcraft.Sali217
lol
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
[QUOTE="Sali217"]World of warcraft.Badosh
lol

You think I'm kidding, but the lore is huge. Whole books have been written on it, people argue about it. It's certainly much more elaborate and complex then something like other things I've seen listed in this thread.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
God of War? Are you kidding? BPoole96
God of War has one of the most creative plot twists I have ever seen. It's certainly better than the usual "This/You doesn't/don't exist," or, "You're actually insane and we're wreaking all the havoc you were trying to fight against." I now instantly hate any story that pulls that. I have said this before, but BioShock was probably the best. The creators saw that a bunch of edgy teenagers were actually taking Ayn Rand seriously, so they built a game based on her backwards political ideology... And you got witness firsthand the collapse and deconstruction of the city because liberalism is for people who want to seem morally superior, not people who actually understand how a functioning society works. That game was just a big **** you to liberalism, edgy teenagers, and Ayn Rand. We had to learn about the latter in one of my history classes, and I couldn't transfer out quicker. I'm a psychology major anyway, but hearing people take that whack-job seriously is detrimental to my mental well being... And I should know this; I'm a psychology major after all. ;)
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]God of War? Are you kidding? Drasonak
God of War has one of the most creative plot twists I have ever seen. It's certainly better than the usual "This/You doesn't/don't exist," or, "You're actually insane and we're wreaking all the havoc you were trying to fight against." I now instantly hate any story that pulls that. I have said this before, but BioShock was probably the best. The creators saw that a bunch of edgy teenagers were actually taking Ayn Rand seriously, so they built a game based on her backwards political ideology... And you got witness firsthand the collapse and deconstruction of the city because liberalism is for people who want to seem morally superior, not people who actually understand how a functioning society works. That game was just a big **** you to liberalism, edgy teenagers, and Ayn Rand. We had to learn about the latter in one of my history classes, and I couldn't transfer out quicker. I'm a psychology major anyway, but hearing people take that whack-job seriously is detrimental to my mental well being... And I should know this; I'm a psychology major after all. ;)

Ayn Rand was not a liberal.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Wait, God of War had a plot twist?
Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"] Drasonak
but hearing people take that whack-job seriously is detrimental to my mental well being...

Well, you already suffer from brain damage ..if you take God of War's story seriously.So, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Although far from the best, I think TF2 should have special mention due to having a very rich story for a multiplayer only game.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Kotor, Jade Empire, and maybe FFX though it had more to do with me enjoying the game then it having a good story.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 PannicAtack
Seriously, I'm confused, what was God of War's plot twist?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

My favourite story, KOTOR 2.

The best, maybe Metal Gear Solid?

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

The Walking Dead and Heavy rain.

Also special mention to Command & Conquer: Tiberium wars and Dead Space;

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

God of War isn't amazing, it's a blood fueled tragedy. What it does well is nail everything that surrounds the plot and writing, making it gel. Damn good for what it is, a hack and slash action game, though. The developers weren't thinking of petty things like you're conjured up in your mind (the game is treading along the same lines of Shock 2 in many regards), the game is a commentary about Objectiveism as much as it about the collapse of Utopian ideas, identity and the unseen enemy, and shooting people in the face, again and again, and again. And DarkLink is spot on Rand wasn't a liberal, and Objectivism itself historically to contemporary is still a relevant philosophy to a great number of people, spanning from the sharp minds in Silicon Valley to those hipster douches and edgy kids. That and Bioshock isn't great either in regard to story. Whilst it has some of the most impressive world building in 3D games, and a sharp, sharp script and VA work, it's riddled with ludonnarive dissonance. It's a bundle of problems - the game preaches selflessness and altruism and the games mechanics contradict that, as are the suggestions of freedom after the twist - which are never experienced through the games function. And so on. But Bioshock's problems have been covered well anyway. It was a shooter with something bigger to say thematically, and it was creative in that regard; for many people it was a surprise a triple A game in the genre could even take a stab it (even if there had been other first person games that had done this kind of thing).
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Final Fantasy VI

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#167 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Whichever one doesn't shove it in my face or down my throat.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#168 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Whichever one doesn't shove it in my face or down my throat.

Thefatness16

Hmmm...I take it you're kind of a Skyrim big man, ey?

[spoiler] /sarcasm [/spoiler]

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Final Fantasy VII has an excellent story. Crisis Core is a masterpiece. I love that game. It tells Zack's story so freaking well. I cried at the end.

The Metal Gear Solid series also has a very good story. The cutscenes in that series are top-notch.

I recently started playing Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and that game's story is really fvcking good. Despite not being dubbed at all, I'm loving the cutscenes and story-telling mechanics. I love the badass soundtrack that adds to the experience.

A lot of people don't realize this, but a game's soundtrack is VERY important. It can make a great game even better. It sets the mood. I suppose that's part of why I hated Limbo. No music.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

To the f*cking Moon!

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Drasonak
[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]God of War? Are you kidding? skrat_01

God of War isn't amazing, it's a blood fueled tragedy. What it does well is nail everything that surrounds the plot and writing, making it gel. Damn good for what it is, a hack and slash action game, though. The developers weren't thinking of petty things like you're conjured up in your mind (the game is treading along the same lines of Shock 2 in many regards), the game is a commentary about Objectiveism as much as it about the collapse of Utopian ideas, identity and the unseen enemy, and shooting people in the face, again and again, and again. And DarkLink is spot on Rand wasn't a liberal, and Objectivism itself historically to contemporary is still a relevant philosophy to a great number of people, spanning from the sharp minds in Silicon Valley to those hipster douches and edgy kids. That and Bioshock isn't great either in regard to story. Whilst it has some of the most impressive world building in 3D games, and a sharp, sharp script and VA work, it's riddled with ludonnarive dissonance. It's a bundle of problems - the game preaches selflessness and altruism and the games mechanics contradict that, as are the suggestions of freedom after the twist - which are never experienced through the games function. And so on. But Bioshock's problems have been covered well anyway. It was a shooter with something bigger to say thematically, and it was creative in that regard; for many people it was a surprise a triple A game in the genre could even take a stab it (even if there had been other first person games that had done this kind of thing).

I played God of War back in 2006. I wasn't really commenting on the overarching story; just the seemingly original plot twist. Kratos himself is a hard character to identify with, as he continues his ruthless massacres, in the gameplay and cut-scenes, that led to his downfall in the first place. I suppose their vision for the story wasn't really compatible with the gameplay, though, as there are two forces working against each other at all times. Wow, that was an incredible analysis coupled with actual support for your argument. This is completely counter to the "lol you're wrong" pseudo-intellectuals that overrun this board. Nice job.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Drasonak

Seriously, I'm confused, what was God of War's plot twist?PannicAtack
*SPOILERS*

Ares misled Kratos into the slaughter of a village that housed his wife and child. His ambition clouded his judgment and got in the way of what made his duties so important in the first place. The ashes that cover his body are his wife's and child's and serve as a reminder of these misdeeds, bestowed upon him by an oracle. A very black, wrinkley, midgety oracle with weird hair.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Drasonak"] God of War has one of the most creative plot twists I have ever seen. It's certainly better than the usual "This/You doesn't/don't exist," or, "You're actually insane and we're wreaking all the havoc you were trying to fight against." I now instantly hate any story that pulls that. I have said this before, but BioShock was probably the best. The creators saw that a bunch of edgy teenagers were actually taking Ayn Rand seriously, so they built a game based on her backwards political ideology... And you got witness firsthand the collapse and deconstruction of the city because liberalism is for people who want to seem morally superior, not people who actually understand how a functioning society works. That game was just a big **** you to liberalism, edgy teenagers, and Ayn Rand. We had to learn about the latter in one of my history classes, and I couldn't transfer out quicker. I'm a psychology major anyway, but hearing people take that whack-job seriously is detrimental to my mental well being... And I should know this; I'm a psychology major after all. ;)

I played God of War back in 2006. I wasn't really commenting on the overarching story; just the seemingly original plot twist. Kratos himself is a hard character to identify with, as he continues his ruthless massacres, in the gameplay and cut-scenes, that led to his downfall in the first place. I suppose their vision for the story wasn't really compatible with the gameplay, though, as there are two forces working against each other at all times. Wow, that was an incredible analysis coupled with actual support for your argument. This is completely counter to the "lol you're wrong" pseudo-intellectuals that overrun this board. Nice job.

Ah I've got you. though I think you're onto something - in a way the gameplay itself speaks of his downfall - he's a mass murdering machine full of hate, kind of fits well with the twist - fitting with Kratos being a murdering git full of rage in the tragic sense. Though from what I know the sequels missed the mark in that regard, though I haven't played them. Otherwise, dayumn, why thank you! I try, I try, I'm into this kind of thing. If you're interested in reading more about it the designer dude Clint Hocking (worked on Far Cry 2 among other games) pretty much coined that term ludonarrative dissonance, in a piece criticising (and praising) Bioshock post release in 07' http://clicknothing.typepad.com/click_nothing/2007/10/ludonarrative-d.html. You might get a kick out of it if you're curious!
louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#175 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

Lol No More Heroes 1,2 and Killer 7

sonic1564

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 sonic1564
Member since 2008 • 3265 Posts

Mario

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Wait, God of War had a plot twist?Stringerboy

I think he's talking about Kratos killing his family.

That was a twist?
rleva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 rleva
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

No way I could pick just one. Off the top of my head: Starcraft, Planescape: Torment, Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Bioshock, the Mass Effect games, almost all of the 90s LucasArts adventure games (Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, the Curse of Monkey Island, and of course Grim Fandango), Psychonauts, Portal 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Thief: the Dark Project.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#180 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII

Shadow of the Colossus

The Legend of Zelda series

No More Heroes 1 and 2

Resident Evil series

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

Videogames...........Story..............LOL

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#183 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Mass Effect/Spec Ops: The Line/Zelda Series

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#184 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

Stringerboy

That was a twist?

I'm note sure, probably not.

Yes, the twist was that Kratos killed his family, further solidifying him as pretty much Hercules gone bad.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#185 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
The Witcher 2. If you know the witcher lore well like I do you'll understand the scope of the world.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#186 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts
Don't know about best but ones that have stuck in my memory are KOTOR (sweet bejesus on crack, that twist), Max Payne 1 and depsite the convolution of some of the storytelling, the Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid saga.
arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#187 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

Planescape: Torment

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"] That was a twist?Link3301

I'm note sure, probably not.

Yes, the twist was that Kratos killed his family, further solidifying him as pretty much Hercules gone bad.

That's not much of a twist. A good plot twist is something that throws the entire story into an entire new light and makes you look at the previews events differently. That... isn't, really.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Frostbite24
[QUOTE="Stringerboy"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Wait, God of War had a plot twist?PannicAtack

That was a twist?

Easy on him, he's a Psychology major.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Frostbite24

OneInchMan99
Obviously this one hasn't played To the Moon.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#191 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Nier or Silent Hill 2.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
I'm Bias But still Reach We knew the end but i still cried
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 cryemocry
Member since 2013 • 590 Posts

pong

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I'm a psychology major anyway, but hearing people take that whack-job seriously is detrimental to my mental well being... And I should know this; I'm a psychology major after all. ;)

I get it, you're a psychology major. Congrats. What's that? You're also the captain of your intramural Ultimate Frisbee team at your college? That's remarkable. I am so jealous of your education and I don't think I could every match your incredible achievements.
Avatar image for _Judge_Gabranth
_Judge_Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 _Judge_Gabranth
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

In my opinion it is Final Fantasy VII with God of War following close.

Ricardomz

Trick question, all games have terrrible stories. Read a book if you want a story

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

OneInchMan99
You should try something besides Call of Duty, you might soon change your tune.
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 cryemocry

lol video game story better than ...Hey you guys? Get real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnrs3zu0xeI

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="skrat_01"]God of War isn't amazing, it's a blood fueled tragedy. What it does well is nail everything that surrounds the plot and writing, making it gel. Damn good for what it is, a hack and slash action game, though. The developers weren't thinking of petty things like you're conjured up in your mind (the game is treading along the same lines of Shock 2 in many regards), the game is a commentary about Objectiveism as much as it about the collapse of Utopian ideas, identity and the unseen enemy, and shooting people in the face, again and again, and again. And DarkLink is spot on Rand wasn't a liberal, and Objectivism itself historically to contemporary is still a relevant philosophy to a great number of people, spanning from the sharp minds in Silicon Valley to those hipster douches and edgy kids. That and Bioshock isn't great either in regard to story. Whilst it has some of the most impressive world building in 3D games, and a sharp, sharp script and VA work, it's riddled with ludonnarive dissonance. It's a bundle of problems - the game preaches selflessness and altruism and the games mechanics contradict that, as are the suggestions of freedom after the twist - which are never experienced through the games function. And so on. But Bioshock's problems have been covered well anyway. It was a shooter with something bigger to say thematically, and it was creative in that regard; for many people it was a surprise a triple A game in the genre could even take a stab it (even if there had been other first person games that had done this kind of thing).

Ah I've got you. though I think you're onto something - in a way the gameplay itself speaks of his downfall - he's a mass murdering machine full of hate, kind of fits well with the twist - fitting with Kratos being a murdering git full of rage in the tragic sense. Though from what I know the sequels missed the mark in that regard, though I haven't played them. Otherwise, dayumn, why thank you! I try, I try, I'm into this kind of thing. If you're interested in reading more about it the designer dude Clint Hocking (worked on Far Cry 2 among other games) pretty much coined that term ludonarrative dissonance, in a piece criticising (and praising) Bioshock post release in 07' http://clicknothing.typepad.com/click_nothing/2007/10/ludonarrative-d.html. You might get a kick out of it if you're curious!

An interesting read. Perhaps Spec Ops is the game he mentions at the end, because it's one of the few titles I don't think suffers from ludonarrative dissonance. Unless we were to go meta and argue that it does because we, as players, are allowed to progress by fulfilling the actions the game finds morally reprehensible (killing).
cryemocry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 cryemocry

turtles in time the game on snes had badass gameplay but the turtle full movies had better stories.