Which videogame has the best story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

That toaster man. The writing was just perfect and the voice acting phenomenal.

OB-47

Yeah, the toaster was great, but my fav was Muggy, the small Securitron obsessed with coffee mugs!

Damn, he's fvcked up! :P

Ah Muggy. Really weird how I got more attached to a bunch of talking appliances over half this generations NPC's.

Haha, true, we had some really well done robots this gen, both in Fallout and Portal...

I'm especially impressed with Portal 1&2, a story revolving around a few robots ends up being far better written and memorable than probably any usual "epic" game story about saving the world, or whatever...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

That toaster man. The writing was just perfect and the voice acting phenomenal.

OB-47

Yeah, the toaster was great, but my fav was Muggy, the small Securitron obsessed with coffee mugs!

Damn, he's fvcked up! :P

Ah Muggy. Really weird how I got more attached to a bunch of talking appliances over half this generations NPC's.

Haha, yeah. Old World Blues was really something.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I have the ultimate edition of New Vegas, which expansion shall I tackle next?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

OB-47
Honest Hearts or Lonesome Road.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

OB-47

Dead Money and The Lonesome Road are more linear, while Honest Hearts gives you a new and open area to explore, roughly the same size as Blues...

While my fav is obviously the Blues, I enjoyed all the add-ons, so if you like New Vegas, chances are, you won't go wrong with either...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Heil68  Online
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
Max Payne
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#107 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The Ace Attorney games.

Unko_Sound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Unko_Sound
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Takeshi's Challenge on NES (Japan only) had a wonderful storyline. If you can read Japanese, you should definitely watch an LP video. Unko Buri Buri.
jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I can't choose the best one, but here are a several that come to mind.

MGS1

TWD

The Darkness

Parasite Eve

Mass Effect

Deus Ex: HR

Portal 2

Dragon Age: Origins

Soul Reaver

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#110 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

My personal favorites are Xenoblade, Final Fantasy 6, and Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Don't know. There's not a title that screams out to me as a clear winner. Out of this gen though, I've really enjoyed GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 1.

Just recently installed To The Moon and Spec Ops to the Line so I'm pretty excited about those.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
UC2, Chrono Trigger, Heavy Rain, Fear Effect
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.freedomfreak

I hear that.

2deep4u

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Very emotional.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Spec Ops: The Line.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#116 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts
There are a lot of really good gaming stories, but I honestly couldn't decide which is best.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

DarkLink77

That story is good in a "this makes me feel like a piece of sh!t" kinda way.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Best. Best. Best. Best. Best. Gah. You mean, your favorite? I played Spec Ops last year and it had shockingly strong writing, so that's one of many for me.
I was so impressed. The writing in Portal 2 is really sophisticated. I was surprised how much they developed Glados's character. biggest_loser
Honestly I found Portal 2's to be pretty dull. Everything was so formulaic to me, from the plot twists to the characters and tidbits; the samey pacing and stop and start expository pacing really hurt it too. Found the whole thing to be really, really inelegant, which is surprising considering it's a first person scripted Valve game.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 skrat_01

DarkLink77
Your steam review / recommendation thingo I caught in the feed was absolutely spot on, have to say.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 skrat_01

OB-47
Old World Blues
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Portal 2bobbetybob

Serious or trolling? You're not the first one to say this, but I never played Portal 2, only the first one and the story... well there was almost no story at all.

It's not so much the story as it the dialogue, it's one of the few games that are genuinely funny, it has a few moments that feel like it's trying too hard but for the most part it's well done.

I'll add Max Payne 3 to the above category, the character dialogue in that game is brilliant, especially all of Max's little quips.

As for overall story, The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption both rank highly for me, both for their endings and TWD for the rest of the emotional moments, anytime someone in your group died it felt a million times more important than some faceless pleb being shot in the head in most other games.

Max Payne 1 and 2 were a lot better in that regard.

Also, To The Moon was the best I've seen so far. The ending was a bit cliche, but the overall story was pretty brilliant, same with the writing.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Super Mario Bros. "An emotional roller coaster" said The Daily Telegraph.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Journey. The people that say it doesn't have a story, just don't get it.Sagem28

I hear that.

2deep4u

No. Journey was not emotional, nor did it have some amazing story behind it. Unless you guys want to explain what is so fantastical about it, I call bullsh*t. It was a fun experience, nothing more.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#124 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Far Cry 3

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

skrat_01

Your steam review / recommendation thingo I caught in the feed was absolutely spot on, have to say.

Thank you, sir. I agree with you about the writing. I would say it's almost frighteningly good.

It makes one wonder why the rest of the industry is so behind in comparison. Obvious answer: it sells, but still.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 skrat_01

No. Journey was not emotional, nor did it have some amazing story behind it. Unless you guys want to explain what is so fantastical about it, I call bullsh*t. It was a fun experience, nothing more. DragonfireXZ95
It had a pretty great story to it - that's taking in all its story factors; from the aesthetics to the pacing or the storytelling. It's a story that can only be told as a game. What's emotional or not is up to you - there's plenty of emotion contained in the story, and in how it tries to evoke its central themes - but if it didn't resonate with you, then whelp, it didn't. Some people didn't find it 'fun', go figure.
Thank you, sir. I agree with you about the writing. I would say it's almost frighteningly strong.DarkLink77
No problemo!

It really, really is - so damn deliberate and fixed on getting its message across. There's a good digital book - Killing is Harmless that is a big critical reading of the game. It's a great read - runs through the game with a fine tooth comb and raises some great points.. Hell, the author is a PhD researcher at my Uni, crazy small world.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Thank you, sir. I agree with you about the writing. I would say it's almost frighteningly strong.skrat_01
No problemo!

It really, really is - so damn deliberate and fixed on getting its message across. There's a good digital book - Killing is Harmless that is a big critical reading of the game. It's a great read - runs through the game with a fine tooth comb and raises some great points.. Hell, the author is a PhD researcher at my Uni, crazy small world.

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting it, but I want a physical release, so I'm in "wait and see" mode.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#128 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

This gen, Mass Effect and The Walking Dead.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

GTA IV.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Thank you, sir. I agree with you about the writing. I would say it's almost frighteningly good.

It makes one wonder why the rest of the industry is so behind in comparison. Obvious answer: it sells, but still.

Is Spec Ops really that good? I passed on it because I was a bit fatigued with shooters. Might give it a closer look.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#131 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Planescape: Torment

Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned

pl4yer_f0und
I was scanning the thread to find this response because I was going to say the same thing (but it's GS after all). Luckily I had to only read up to Page 2. Planescape: Torment is easily my #1 and I'll definitely be funding the new installment on kickstarter. I'm assuming most people listing TWD just haven't played it.

Tier 2 would probably be grim fandango and earthbound.
Best throwaway dialogue out of any game I've played would be from The Sea Will Claim Everything
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Serious or trolling? You're not the first one to say this, but I never played Portal 2, only the first one and the story... well there was almost no story at all.

DragonfireXZ95

It's not so much the story as it the dialogue, it's one of the few games that are genuinely funny, it has a few moments that feel like it's trying too hard but for the most part it's well done.

I'll add Max Payne 3 to the above category, the character dialogue in that game is brilliant, especially all of Max's little quips.

As for overall story, The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption both rank highly for me, both for their endings and TWD for the rest of the emotional moments, anytime someone in your group died it felt a million times more important than some faceless pleb being shot in the head in most other games.

Max Payne 1 and 2 were a lot better in that regard.

Also, To The Moon was the best I've seen so far. The ending was a bit cliche, but the overall story was pretty brilliant, same with the writing.

Well, some of the writing in To the Moon is a bit awkward in the "I don't think people actually talk like this" kind of way, but the overall story is, in my opinion, one of the best in the history of the medium.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="skrat_01"] Your steam review / recommendation thingo I caught in the feed was absolutely spot on, have to say.jake44

Is Spec Ops really that good? I passed on it because I was a bit fatigued with shooters. Might give it a closer look.

As a shooter it's rather pedestrian. The story is its major selling point, and it does that extremely well.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#134 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
Planescape: Torment Max Payne 2 Grim Fandango Majora's Mask
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"]

Some-Mist
I was scanning the thread to find this response because I was going to say the same thing (but it's GS after all). Luckily I had to only read up to Page 2. Planescape: Torment is easily my #1 and I'll definitely be funding the new installment on kickstarter. I'm assuming most people listing TWD just haven't played it.

Best throwaway dialogue out of any game I've played would be from The Sea Will Claim Everything

They're making a sequel to Planescape? :o
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="Some-Mist"][QUOTE="pl4yer_f0und"]

DarkLink77

Well, Obsidian is gonna be making "Project Eternity," which is supposed to be a spiritual successor, at least.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Some-Mist"]I was scanning the thread to find this response because I was going to say the same thing (but it's GS after all). Luckily I had to only read up to Page 2. Planescape: Torment is easily my #1 and I'll definitely be funding the new installment on kickstarter. I'm assuming most people listing TWD just haven't played it.

Best throwaway dialogue out of any game I've played would be from The Sea Will Claim EverythingPannicAtack

Well, Obsidian is gonna be making "Project Eternity," which is supposed to be a spiritual successor, at least.

and there's talk of a torment enhanced edition like they did with baldur's gate.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#138 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Grim Fandango, closely followed by Planescape: Torment.

Runners up:

The Longest Journey

NWN2: Mask of The Betrayer

To The Moon

The Walking Dead

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#139 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They're making a sequel to Planescape? :oCaseyWegner

and there's talk of a torment enhanced edition like they did with baldur's gate.

they're actually creating a new installment.. taken from GAF... "InXile developing Torment sequel (details)" Summary: -InXile acquires Torment license -InXile's new project is a sequel to Torment, but not using the Planescape IP and not continuing the Nameless One's story -Kevin Saunders (former Obsidian producer/designer) is project director -Colin McComb (writer/designer on Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2, D&D Planescape campaign writer) is creative lead -Chris Avellone has given his blessing for a Torment sequel and will be asked to write for it (much like with Wasteland 2) when Project Eternity writing duties allow -Expect Kickstarter, based on Brian Fargo's comments about InXile's projects all going through Kickstarter from here on out Colin McComb discusses Torment sequel hypothetical: http://colinmccomb.com/?p=157 [spoiler] [quote="Torment"] But thats not really the point of this post. The point is that of all the games Ive written, the one that I keep circling back to is Torment. And now that the bulk of my work on Wasteland 2 is largely complete (with some iteration work that still needs to be done), I can start thinking about Torment seriously. TORMENT What was most memorable for most players of the game? Based on the conversations Ive had with friends and fans, the answers (at least from a design perspective) boil down to these. It: * Turned RPG tropes on their heads (e.g. death is bad and requires a reload). * Had a rich, amazing story. * Displayed memorable, unique characters, especially the companions. * Took place in a hugely different fantastic setting. * Allowed small player choices to make real differences in the game world. * Wasnt about an epic battle between good and evil, but it did ask serious questions (like What can change the nature of a man?). * Created strange, even living, items that you can talk to or interact with [...] The first step in designing a new Torment story is to ask the primary question. Im older than I was when I worked on Torment, and my questions now are different than they were. I have children now, and I look at the world through their eyes and through mine, and thats changed me in fact, the intervening years have changed me so much that I have new answers for the central story in the original Torment. So now that I know what can change the nature of a man, I ask: What does one life matter? and does it matter at all? Then Id re-examine the fundamentals of the setting. Id put it someplace other than Planescape (and Ill explain why in a followup). Id use a system other than D&D, because Id want to align the players story axes along different lines than Good/Evil or Law/Chaos to something more subjective. The core of Torment is, after all, a personal story, and while we can be judged by others on the basis of our actions, arbitrarily aligning those actions on an external and eternally fixed line removes some of the agency from the players game. I have a lot of ideas about what to put into a new Torment game, but my primary goal would be to help the player tell a story that was evocative of the original Torment without aping it. To be faithful to the odyssey of the Nameless One, and to recognize that it has ended, and that stories of Torment are ongoing.

[/spoiler] you can see all the summary points addressed in the NeoGAF thread.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Mass Effect had the best story until they f*cked it up with ME3.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

ZombieKiller7

what was wrong with the story itself?

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#143 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
To The Moon.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Half-Life 2

thread closed.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

CaseyWegner

what was wrong with the story itself?

Well it didn't have one.

The Reapers invaded earth

Shepard got a fleet together

They went to Earth

Shepard went in the catalyst

A bunch of stupid schit was said.

Then some cryptic scene of a grandfather talking to a boy. Who the hell are they? I dunno.

The plot went basically nowhere.

The side quests were utter garbage.

The ending was schit.

More cutscene than playing.

Utter crap.

F*cking bioware.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Planescape: Torment. Honorable mention to the Baldur's Gate saga.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 ZombieKiller7

The best story.

Hmm

I'm gonna say Deus Ex

Played it like 10 years ago and the story and plot remind me of everyday things in RL, it's basically not even a game anymore, it's part of the memories of my life.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 PannicAtack

Half-Life 2

thread closed.

Primordialous
Eh. Half-Life 2 tells its story really well, and it's well-written, but the story itself, well, doesn't have a whole lot there.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Black Ops 2