Which rpg's you consider are better than Persona series?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#51 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@aigis: Well, I am sure it is much better than 4. But I can not say whether it is good or bad until I have played it. But my experience with Persona has been an incredibly shallow experience thus far. I want it to be good, since I love the concept.

4 is my least favorite of the 3 tbh, and 5 improves upon a lot of things in the franchise. Its worth a shot, its probably my favorite game ever at this point

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

@valgaav_219 said:

#@Maroxad: There are millions playing Persona 5 right now. I'm pretty sure it's over 20k still playing Persona 4 Golden on Vita for God's Sake. But at the end of the day the Persona series(for the most part) is standing head and shoulders above your average run of the mill rpg(like half your list) right now. Numbers don't lie. A little Niche RPG selling millions in just a few days says it all.

Do you have any evidence of that? Because that is a ridiculous assertion. Even Behemoths like DOTA 2 have only 300k concurrent players as we speak.

In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if P4G on the Vita has less than 100 concurrent players.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@mark1974 said:

@Maroxad: You haven't seen those flipped asset games on steam have you? Judging on your three worst games ever I'm guessing video games in general are only a vague notion in your mind. LOL. It's cool, I hate Uncharted too and like to slam it as much as possible as well. But come on now!

Clarified my original post. to make sure I meant only the games I have played.

But yeah, I am sure a lot of those games are worse.

Fair enough but if Persona 4 is one of the worst games you have ever played you have been very lucky! It's uncanny! You have to be very young. Everyone my age has played E.T for example. You must not mess around and take any risk at all when you chose a game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Maroxad

@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

@aigis: Well, I am sure it is much better than 4. But I can not say whether it is good or bad until I have played it. But my experience with Persona has been an incredibly shallow experience thus far. I want it to be good, since I love the concept.

4 is my least favorite of the 3 tbh, and 5 improves upon a lot of things in the franchise. Its worth a shot, its probably my favorite game ever at this point

Not surprising. But with P5 I seriously think the big problem is just that Persona does everything I dislike.

This dating sim-esque gameplay found in the other half, is as unappealing to me as Planet Scanning in Mass Effect 2 was, if not worse. At least one does not push tired anime cliches on me.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@howmakewood said:
@charizard1605 said:
@the_master_race said:
@charizard1605 said:

Nothing at this point

how many RPGs you played this year ?

Nioh, Yakuza, Horizon, Persona, Zelda. I've got Mass Effect and Nier waiting. I also played Dark Souls 3 this year, though that's a 2016 game.

Can I have some of your time? You seem to have too much and I have too little...

My job is reviewing games, bruh

Must be a terrible site you review for. You don't seem to even know what one is.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Maroxad

@mark1974 said:
@Maroxad said:
@mark1974 said:

@Maroxad: You haven't seen those flipped asset games on steam have you? Judging on your three worst games ever I'm guessing video games in general are only a vague notion in your mind. LOL. It's cool, I hate Uncharted too and like to slam it as much as possible as well. But come on now!

Fair enough but if Persona 4 is one of the worst games you have ever played you have been very lucky! It's uncanny! You have to be very young. Everyone my age has played E.T for example. You must not mess around and take any risk at all when you chose a game.

I am younger than you, I was born in 1991. I grew up in an era where gaming journalism was pretty common.

The problem with Persona 4 is the same I have with Ragnarok Online and Uncharted. They were among the few games that actually pissed me off or made me feel like outright crap after playing it.

But I do agree with you on one thing. That Persona is one of the worst games I have ever played says more about what games I have played than the actual quality of the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@millerlight89 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@howmakewood said:
@charizard1605 said:
@the_master_race said:

how many RPGs you played this year ?

Nioh, Yakuza, Horizon, Persona, Zelda. I've got Mass Effect and Nier waiting. I also played Dark Souls 3 this year, though that's a 2016 game.

Can I have some of your time? You seem to have too much and I have too little...

My job is reviewing games, bruh

Must be a terrible site you review for. You don't seem to even know what one is.

I'm in general a terrible person, yeah, but I've made my peace with it. It's amusing to see you have not.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 aigis

@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

Not surprising. But with P5 I seriously think the big problem is just that Persona does everything I dislike.

This dating sim-esque gameplay found in the other half, is as unappealing to me as Planet Scanning in Mass Effect 2 was, if not worse. At least one does not push tired anime cliches on me.

You kinda have to be in the mindset to do sim stuff. It is mostly the same as P4 (with some exceptions), but I will say that P5 has the best social links in the games and they tie in to the overall plot a lot better (hence "confidants" rather than s.links). To compare it to planet scanning is a great disservice to the overall narrative of the story, especially in 5's case. I like Mass Effect, but Persona is a way better series imo.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mark1974

@Maroxad said:
@mark1974 said:
@Maroxad said:
@mark1974 said:

I am younger than you, I was born in 1991. I grew up in an era where gaming journalism was a thing.

That does make sense. I figured as much and I am not trying to insult you. My experience is so different. In the early 80's I owned a Commodore 64 and probably played every single game made for it. Most of us did because it was free due to rampant piracy. I know no one who paid for those games back then. You went to school with your floppy disks and traded with friends and copied them. We would play thousands of games in the old times. So many Sega Master system and NES game were crap too. We only looked at the cover artwork and made our best guess about the game. Shit, by the time Snes came out I was graduating! Enough of my nostalgia. Crap games build character though, quit being soft!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Maroxad

@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

You kinda have to be in the mindset to do sim stuff. It is mostly the same as P4 (with some exceptions), but I will say that P5 has the best social links in the games and they tie in to the overall plot a lot better (hence "confidants" rather than s.links). To compare it to planet scanning is a great disservice to the overall narrative of the story, especially in 5's case. I like Mass Effect, but Persona is a way better series imo.

Well, I don't like either series ;)

But yeah, mindset is important. I saw Social Links as something to score high points in and thus max. Sadly, I harbor a strong dislike to high school settings, especially anime high school settings.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#62 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

None

Final Fantasy some are great but all the great one are in the long past of Squaresoft since it is SquareEnix it is seriously not that fun.

Mass Effect meh, just like everything Bethesda...

Bloodborne Dark Souls are fun but the story is nowhere to be found, they are just game where you you beat the shit out of stuff for whatever reason ... it is fun but zero in epicness

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 aigis
@Maroxad said:

Well, I don't like either series ;)

But yeah, mindset is important. I saw Social Links as something to score high points in and thus max. Sadly, I harbor a strong dislike to high school settings, especially anime high school settings.

Not much I can do about the high school setting, but I would encourage you to try 5. S.linking has never been better, its more like establishing a network rather than random individuals. Everyone has a purpose to the overall goals of the main party (some offering goods, others training in aspects, ect...). Even if its later on down the road, its worth checking out.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Maroxad

@mark1974 said:

That does make sense. I figured as much and I am not trying to insult you. My experience is so different. In the early 80's I owned a Commodore 64 and probably played every single game made for it. Most of us did because it was free due to rampant piracy. I know no one who paid for those games back then. You went to school with your floppy disks and traded with friends and copied them. We would play thousands of games in the old times. So many Sega Master system and NES game were crap too. We only looked at the cover artwork and made our best guess about the game. Shit, by the time Snes came out I was graduating! Enough of my nostalgia. Crap games build character though, quit being soft!

Don't copy that floppy :P

But yeah, you do probably see me as very young. Hell, I see the current day 19 year olds as very young. Its kinda amazing really. Its no insult really, I would be hypocritical to take offense to it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mark1974

@Maroxad: You aren't going to like Persona 5. Don't worry about it. What do you think about Yakuza though?

edit: I don't really see you as young so much as I see myself as old. You are in your prime, enjoy it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Maroxad

@aigis said:

Not much I can do about the high school setting, but I would encourage you to try 5. S.linking has never been better, its more like establishing a network rather than random individuals. Everyone has a purpose to the overall goals of the main party (some offering goods, others training in aspects, ect...). Even if its later on down the road, its worth checking out.

Its going to be very hard to recommend me a game that is a sequel to one of my least favorite of all time. Maybe eventually I will open up to it. But that will probably have to wait a few years.

It still has the main problem of schedule management and being entirely built around points. Ironing out some ofthe more minor problems doesnt fix the fact that the way social linking is built up, is still terribly executed.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Final Fantasy 4-10

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Honestly I was never a huge fangirl of the Persona series. They have FANTASTIC soundtracks, a good combat system, but the time management aspect felt weak in 3/4/what I've seen of 5. I gotta give 5 a lot of points for the awesome art style though.

As for games that I think are better? There are a lot, but I'll just hit the high tier RPGs from all around the spectrum. For simplicity sake I won't get into classic J/C/WRPGs and stick within the last few generations.

Witcher 3: The combat system is rough, but the story is fantastic. I truly think this is the 3D Baldur's Gate and one of the best RPGs of the last 10 years.

Dark Souls 1: One of the best combat systems out there, and an amazing world. My favorite game of all time.

Divinity Original Sin: When bringing up turn based RPGs there is no way Original Sin can't be mentioned. The magic system is god tier and I wish more games would emulate the reactivity.

Radiant Historia: Of the 'classic' style of JRPGs, this is easily one of the best. The combat system is good, but the story is what carries it so hard. Stocke is what a protagonist should be.

Fire Emblem Conquest: Story is god awful, but that encounter design and gameplay. The best english Fire Emblem in most aspects easily.

Last Story: A weird combat system that just works. There was also a love story that I felt was well done and not ham-fisted.

Ys Origin: The best isometric combat system period. A super tight campaign and the usual awesome soundtrack.

Diablo 3: Odd choice, but its my second pick for best isometric combat system. The loot system lacks variety, but the combat has some awesome impact. Heard the console version is supposed to be great too, but I haven't touched it yet.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#69  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I could easily list 10-20 RPGs that I prefer to Persona 5...but I will say that Persona 5 is *very* good.

It's a huge improvement over Persona 3's awful dungeon-crawling, and Persona 4's bland dungeon-crawling. It's not perfect, and Mementos is incredibly dull, but it's one of the best JRPGs released over the past 5-10 years.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Lets see

• The Witcher 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Kotor
  • Kotor 2
  • ME1
  • ME2
  • MEA
  • Skyrim
  • Morrowind
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout
  • Fallout 2
  • FF6
  • FF7
  • FF12
  • FF15
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Chrono Cross
  • Planescape Torment
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

So many where can I start?

1. Xeno Series (Xenogears/Saga1-3/chronicles/X

2. Dragon Quest

3. Breath of Fire 1-4

4. Phantasy Star 1-4

5. Lunar 1+2

6. Wild Arms 1-4

7. Final Fantasy 1-6+9

8. Suikoden Series

Now I am willing to admit that I'm really not into the High School Drama RPG style of Persona so I for the most part like just about ALL games more than Persona Series. I do NOT doubt the quality of the games (I played through persona 4) it is just not for me. I will always state that the track "Reach out for the truth" and the "Junes" store theme in Persona 4 is STILL stuck in my head after years. Just too damn catchy it is almost like a curse for me. Whenever I go to Walmart that Junes track plays in my mind as I near the electronics department. (Yes I know it sounds crazy but it is what it is. At least I know what Hell would sound like 24/7 Junes theme lol.)

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

So many where can I start?

1. Xeno Series (Xenogears/Saga1-3/chronicles/X

2. Dragon Quest

3. Breath of Fire 1-4

4. Phantasy Star 1-4

5. Lunar 1+2

6. Wild Arms 1-4

7. Final Fantasy 1-6+9

8. Suikoden Series

Now I am willing to admit that I'm really not into the High School Drama RPG style of Persona so I for the most part like just about ALL games more than Persona Series. I do NOT doubt the quality of the games (I played through persona 4) it is just not for me. I will always state that the track "Reach out for the truth" and the "Junes" store theme in Persona 4 is STILL stuck in my head after years. Just too damn catchy it is almost like a curse for me. Whenever I go to Walmart that Junes track plays in my mind as I near the electronics department. (Yes I know it sounds crazy but it is what it is. At least I know what Hell would sound like 24/7 Junes theme lol.)

For the longest time, until I actually looked up the lyrics to "reach out to the truth" I thought she said :

I face out, I hold out, I reach out to the truth of my new dentist, and the homo man to slowly break away.......

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast beats all.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#74 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I'd have to go with Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one) and Pokemon Gold/Silver are still my overall faves. I honestly might put Persona 5 in the same league as Chrono Trigger which is saying very damn much!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Final Fantasy XIII,XIII-2,Lightning returns are very underated.Enjoyed the trilogy so much?

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

dark souls series the witcher 3 tales of vesperia ni no kuni final fantasy 10 yakuza series nioh horizon zero dawn mass effect series xenoblade chronicles

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

I personally like yakuza more.

Disgaea is pretty cool and a lot less time restraint which is nice. (none)

Nier Automata was good but eh about the first one.

Ni no Kuni 2 could surpass it but 1 was kind of just good.

Idk, it's up there but there are other games that are cool in japan.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PutASpongeOn

@valgaav_219 said:

#@Maroxad: There are millions playing Persona 5 right now. I'm pretty sure it's over 20k still playing Persona 4 Golden on Vita for God's Sake. But at the end of the day the Persona series(for the most part) is standing head and shoulders above your average run of the mill rpg(like half your list) right now. Numbers don't lie. A little Niche RPG selling millions in just a few days says it all.

Numbers do lie if it's used for an argumentum ad populum argument, ie a logical fallacy.

I personally like games that don't sell a shit ton while games like watch dogs are shit and sell a **** ton.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Maroxad

@putaspongeon said:
@valgaav_219 said:

Numbers do lie if it's used for an argumentum ad populum argument, ie a logical fallacy.

I personally like games that don't sell a shit ton while games like watch dogs are shit and sell a **** ton.

Ad populum is only fallacious if you argue "X is popular, therefore it is good". But at the same time, the point of the numbers argument was to showcase amazing longevity. Either way, Terraria is an excellent game with superb replay value, nice atmosphere, plenty of variety, excellent implementation of grindy mechanics. The gameplay is rock solid, and that is all it needs.

Of course, not every game I listed is one I like, but that is kinda the point. A game doesnt have to be good to be better than Persona 4. A game just doesnt have to be offensively bad.

Disgaea is a terrible game by any standard. Regardless of whether you like gameplay or storytelling. Disgaea is a piece of shit.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Having never played a Persona game, I've got to say every RPG I've ever played.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@Maroxad said:
@putaspongeon said:
@valgaav_219 said:

Ad populum is only fallacious if you argue "X is popular, therefore it is good". But at the same time, the point of the numbers argument was to showcase amazing longevity. Either way, Terraria is an excellent game with superb replay value, nice atmosphere, plenty of variety, excellent implementation of grindy mechanics. The gameplay is rock solid, and that is all it needs.

Of course, not every game I listed is one I like, but that is kinda the point. A game doesnt have to be good to be better than Persona 4. A game just doesnt have to be offensively bad.

Disgaea is a terrible game by any standard. Regardless of whether you like gameplay or storytelling. Disgaea is a piece of shit.

By means of people liking it. You're trying to say it's good and that that's proven by it being successful, that the game must be good.

The other stuff you list is purely subjective, maybe other people feel the same but it's still subjective. Also "excellent implementation of grindy mechanics" is the most reachy thing in your list.

Also lol at saying disgaea is a horrible series and act like it's objective when your opinion isn't subjective, bullshit.

Disgaea is a great series, the best series for grid based turn based.

You're so full of shit it's hilarious, are you upset that your favorite game isn't as cool as you thought? Persona was heavily flawed until persona 5, worse flaws than nier and ni no kuni 1. Nier Automata, Ni no Kuni 2(based on what we have), and Persona 5 vastly improve on rather meh games, Persona was the worst.

Disgaea has always been pretty solid.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Maroxad

@putaspongeon said:

By means of people liking it. You're trying to say it's good and that that's proven by it being successful, that the game must be good.

The other stuff you list is purely subjective, maybe other people feel the same but it's still subjective. Also "excellent implementation of grindy mechanics" is the most reachy thing in your list.

Also lol at saying disgaea is a horrible series and act like it's objective when your opinion isn't subjective, bullshit.

You're so full of shit it's hilarious, are you upset that your favorite game isn't as cool as you thought? Persona was heavily flawed until persona 5, worse flaws than nier and ni no kuni 1. Nier Automata, Ni no Kuni 2(based on what we have), and Persona 5 vastly improve on rather meh games, Persona was the worst.

Excellent implementation of grindy mechanics... By that I mean the resource acquisition. Which could be seen as grindy. But ultimately unlike most shitty jRPGs where you run around in circles over and over for EXP. In terraria you explore the world to fill up your quota. Actual exploration makes what might otherwise be a repetitive task actually enjoyable.

Disgaea is a terrible franchise, the combat is poverty compared to any other sRPG, be it Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Fire Emblem or FFT. And it pales even further compared to western sRPGs like NuXCOM or Jagged Alliance. The game especially in the second part emphasises numbers and stats over strategy. It doesnt reward skill as much as time spent. And the pants on head idiotic power curve only helps reinforce that. As a strategy game Disgaea is objectively bad. Sorry that your tastes are so... sorry.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@Maroxad said:
@putaspongeon said:

Excellent implementation of grindy mechanics... By that I mean the resource acquisition. Which could be seen as grindy. But ultimately unlike most shitty jRPGs where you run around in circles over and over for EXP. In terraria you explore the world to fill up your quota. Actual exploration makes what might otherwise be a repetitive task actually enjoyable.

Disgaea is a terrible franchise, the combat is poverty compared to any other sRPG, be it Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Fire Emblem or FFT. And it pales even further compared to western sRPGs like NuXCOM or Jagged Alliance. The game especially in the second part emphasises numbers and stats over strategy. It doesnt reward skill as much as time spent. And the pants on head idiotic power curve only helps reinforce that. As a strategy game Disgaea is objectively bad. Sorry that your tastes are so... sorry.

Subjective subjective subjective.

How hard is it to realize that persona was heavily flawed until persona 5, dungeons weren't positive grind spots, they were uninspired drab fests. Persona 5 improved this aspect.

What you just said is wrong about disgaea.

Why do you hate disgaea so much? Couldn't handle the grind? If you say Disgaea is a terrible franchise, then I'll just say Persona is literally trash, does that make persona trash because I said so? No? Then why do you think you're retarded opinion makes disgaea a bad game. Disgaea is a game with lots of content and it's very environmentally aware with the attacks, yes there is some of that in games like the banner saga but it pales compared to disgaea in this regard. Same with chroma squad.

As a strategy game Persona is objectively bad. Sorry that your tastes are so.... sorry.

I feel bad for sharing the same hobby as you. You couldn't use objectivity if your life depended on it, the most illogical buffoon in these forums.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not my cup of tea. So, that's that. It doesn't mean the Persona series is bad. Hell. There are many GOTYs that I'm not interested in.

So far, the last two RPG games I played and finished were Fallout 4 and Fallout 3. I'm taking a break from the Fallout games. But, New Vegas is next when I resume.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts
@putaspongeon said:

Why do you hate disgaea so much? Couldn't handle the grind? If you say Disgaea is a terrible franchise, then I'll just say Persona is literally trash, does that make persona trash because I said so? No? Then why do you think you're retarded opinion makes disgaea a bad game. Disgaea is a game with lots of content and it's very environmentally aware with the attacks, yes there is some of that in games like the banner saga but it pales compared to disgaea in this regard. Same with chroma squad.

As a strategy game Persona is objectively bad. Sorry that your tastes are so.... sorry.

I feel bad for sharing the same hobby as you. You couldn't use objectivity if your life depended on it, the most illogical buffoon in these forums.

This post is so laughable.

Disgaea is a terrible strategy series carried by its art and a niche audience into the loli visual. It's a sorry excuse for a strategy game; that you enjoy it is subjective, that it pales in comparison to the very games Maro mentioned is easily recognized.

And apparently you can't even properly discern game genres, since Persona is not a strategy game.

Oh and lay off the insults. Especially when you can't tell the difference between your and you're in the very insult you're slinging.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#86 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'd say something Like Pillars of Eternity.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PutASpongeOn

@mmmwksil said:
@putaspongeon said:

Disgaea is a terrible strategy series carried by its art and a niche audience into the loli visual. It's a sorry excuse for a strategy game; that you enjoy it is subjective, that it pales in comparison to the very games Maro mentioned is easily recognized.

And apparently you can't even properly discern game genres, since Persona is not a strategy game.

Oh and lay off the insults. Especially when you can't tell the difference between your and you're in the very insult you're slinging.

Sounds like you didn't play it.

Like I said, why is you saying that any more than someone saying the same about persona? Half of his list was genuinely bad, not "oh I'm not a fan of disgaea" bad, but genuinely bad.

Persona is a strategy game, that's objective, games don't only have on genre and there are genre that are disgustingly vague, such as action and strategy.

So does that make you stupid or what? Considering you literally tried to insult me for not knowing genre when you don't know them, hey, whatever.

I do know the difference, but ad hominem bullshit that is unrelated to the topic at hand. It's after 10 and I'm out of it, sue me you man child.

Your = possession

You're = you are

It's such a simple mistake though that I have a feeling that someone probably edited my post though, who knows, doesn't fucking matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#88 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@indzman said:

Final Fantasy XIII,XIII-2,Lightning returns are very underrated. Enjoyed the trilogy so much?

I didn't enjoy it as much as you did, but yeah as whole I wasn't disappointed with the trilogy all that much.

FF XIII 4/10, FF XIII-2: 7/10, LRFF: 8/10

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Maroxad

@putaspongeon said:
@mmmwksil said:
@putaspongeon said:

Sounds like you didn't play it.

Like I said, why is you saying that any more than someone saying the same about persona? Half of his list was genuinely bad, not "oh I'm not a fan of disgaea" bad, but genuinely bad.

Persona is a strategy game, that's objective, games don't only have on genre and there are genre that are disgustingly vague, such as action and strategy.

So does that make you stupid or what? Considering you literally tried to insult me for not knowing genre when you don't know them, hey, whatever.

I do know the difference, but ad hominem bullshit that is unrelated to the topic at hand. It's after 10 and I'm out of it, sue me you man child.

Your = possession

You're = you are

It's such a simple mistake though that I have a feeling that someone probably edited my post though, who knows, doesn't fucking matter.

The notino of anyone calling Persona a Strategy game borders on the hilarious. As for half the list bad? What are you talking about?

@Maroxad said:
  • Pokemon (Arguably offers the best skill design of any RPG)
  • Guild Wars (Guild Wars 1 offers superb skill design, and a lot of actually interesting content for its rather now low cost. The missions are often interesting enough to be worth doing)
  • World of WarCraft (Extremely smooth mechanics, feels perfectly fluid and rolling those crits has always been satisfying. Has enough content and difficulty most people even today are just trying to beat it)
  • Diablo (The first one was one of the most atmospheric RPGs ever made, the sequel was the almost perfect loot pinata for those who like that stuff, we don't talk about the third, but then again, I would rather play that than Persona 4)
  • The Elder Scrolls (Superb mod support Morrowind and up. Daggerfall felt vast and Morrowind, handled progression amazingly well)
  • Baldur's Gate (The encounter design in this game, amazing love letter to D&D as well)
  • Icewind dale (Amazing dungeon crawler)
  • Planescape Torment (Arguably the strongest story ever seen in a non-adventure game)
  • Mother (Mother 3 is amazing, with superb writing and pacing all around)
  • Final Fantasy (Well, I don't like Final Fantasy outside of Tactics, but still better than Persona)
  • Dragon Quest (See FF)
  • Rune Factory (Hoarding is something I love doing, the later entires did an amazing job satisfying my inner hoarder, few games compare when it comes to hoarding)
  • Stardew Valley (see the Rune Factory, but with better characters)
  • Mount and Blade (Excellent mounted combat and archery, world domination, actually does a good job in the sandbox department)
  • Mainline Shin Megami Tensei (Demon fusion is satisfying, unlike Persona. I can focus on fighting and fusing demons with no dating sim distractions, press turn is also better than Persona's system)
  • Etrian Oddysey (Challenging wizardry clone, that modernizes a lot of the aspects found in the original. More importantly hwoever is the fact that Atlus knew what made Wizardry tick, nice usage of the DS capabilities as well)
  • NuXCOM (Far better strategy RPG than Disgaea, rewards skill and punishes bad play)
  • Jagged Alliance (Jagged Alliance 1.3 has the best combat found in the entire genre, the game respects you the player, need I say more,)
  • Wizardry (The original dungeon crawler with some still amazing level design)
  • Mass Effect (I dont like this actually, sitll better than Persona 4)
  • Dragon Age (see Mass Effect)
  • Pool of Radiance (Widely considered to be one of the best RPGs ever made, executing the right moves felt just so damn satisfying and its implementation of D&D was so good)
  • The other Goldbox games (Because Pool of Radiance's sequels exist, and Dark Sun: Shattered Lands has some of the best pacing seen in any genre, not just RPGs)
  • Tactics Ogre (An actually engrossing story inspired by a then contemporary conflict)
  • Dark Souls (Its dark Souls man)
  • The Witcher (Some of the few examples of writing done right in gaming, I dont care for these games, but their quality can not be denied)
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines (Another case of candidate for top 5 RPG of all time, good writing combined with excellent opportunities to roleplay lead to an unforgettable experience)
  • Temple of Elemental Evil (Of the various fantasy RPGs, no combat system comes close to this)
  • Arcanum (Some amazing world building)
  • Ultima (The original sandbox RPG, with each new title innovating heavily and pushing the bounderies)
  • Betrayal at Krondor (Excellent combat combined with superb atmosphere makes for a game that holds up even today)
  • System Shock 2 (System Shock 1 is not an RPG)
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario and Luigi
  • Nethack (One of the best roguelikes ever made)
  • ADOM (The best roguelike ever made)
  • Rogue (The original roguelike, so good it inspired knockoffs even today)
  • Angband (Brutally difficult roguelike that will test your skills as an RPG gamer)
  • Liberal Crime Squad (The game Toady made before Dwarf Fortress, massacring people and wrecking havoc is fun. Its combat system, character system, legal, legislative and health systems are incredibly detailed and nuanced)
  • Dwarf Fortress: Adventurer Mode (Pales in comparison to Fortress Mode, but still...)
  • Terraria (Enough has been said about this game)
  • Gothic (Underdog: The game, growing in power is so satisfying and rewarding)
  • Sea Dogs (Piracy, Yarr)
  • Fire Emblem (Fates and Awakening may have been meh, but the radiant games, the earlier games too were superb)
  • Fallout (Excellent RPG franchise)
  • Wasteland (Fallout before Fallout)
  • Darklands (Microprose should never be underestimated)
  • Realms of Arkania: Star Trail
  • Might and Magic (Because if you think these games are bad, especially the Xeen games are bad... then just lol)
  • King's Bounty (A western RPG, that plays like Heroes of Might and Magic, hoard to your heart's content in a highly replayable strategy RPG)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By aigis

@Maroxad said:

The notino of anyone calling Persona a Strategy game borders on the hilarious. As for half the list bad? What are you talking about?

what? like an rts?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Maroxad

@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

what? Like an rts?

Yeah, she seemingly called Persona a strategy game, like the RTSes and TBSes out there.

The only connection between a strategy game and Persona is that Persona is an RPG, and RPGs originated from strategy games (where do you think the levelling came from? ;) )

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By aigis

@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

what? Like an rts?

Yeah, she seemingly called Persona a strategy game, like the RTSes and TBSes out there.

The only connection between a strategy game and Persona is that Persona is an RPG, and RPGs originated from strategy games (where do you think the levelling came from? ;) )

ya, its not really a strategy game per se. I would say there is strategy involved in the combat, but to say its a full blown strategy game is going a little overboard

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Maroxad

@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

what? Like an rts?

ya, its not really a strategy game per se. I would say there is strategy involved in the combat, but to say its a full blown strategy game is going a little overboard

No disagreement here.

There is definately some level of tactics in combat, just like there is some level of tactics in action games. But the game is first and foremost a japanese roleplaying game.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 aigis

@Maroxad said:

the game is first and foremost a japanese roleplaying game.

no argument here

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Not much tbh if we are only including games that are definitely in the RPG genre.

I do consider the SMT games (SMT IV and SMTIVA for example) to be better for the most part though. Xenoblade I think is also better. Undertale is another one. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga is way up there as well for me.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of at the moment but its not a big list at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#96  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I know there have been a lot of JRPGs I've enjoyed more than Persona games, but at the same time I think Persona is up there pretty high because it refreshed the JRPG genre. Persona deserves its spot.

I think Dragon Quest makes a pretty good competition for Shin Megami Tensei, because they are both really traditional JRPGs but take different approaches to things. There are some DQ games I've liked a lot more than Persona, but at the same time Persona is better than some DQ games. But when you get right down to it, I might prefer playing one over the other depending entirely on my changing mood.

@bussinrounds: good point.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

I'm a DQ girl.

DQXI looks HYPE.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

well im about 15 hours into persona 5 (the only persona game i have played). from what i have heard its supposed to pick up a lot after the first dungeon....but still not pulling me in. im coming up to the second dungeon and its fine. but its not the second coming. it is very stylish. i love the visuals. it also has a nice soundtrack. i was worried about the whole deadline thing but it seems to be ok. not a fan of it but its not a game killer. combat is solid. translation is a bit messy in places. im not sold on the whole normal life thing though.

its not bad by any stretch. a very solid 7.5 if i was to put a score to it now. but its not an absolute masterpiece. 15 hours in...if a game isnt grabbing me then something is going wrong. i will probably plug away at it as im still having some fun but its not making me sit down for 4-5 hour gaming sessions. am i tempted to get P4G for the vita? no. i think itll be a case of me ticking the "have tried a persona game" box.

a very similar game that i prefer (i really must play it again) is the world ends with you on the DS. very clever design and a far more interesting idea.

the xenoblade series is also better. same with mass effect, baldurs gate, deus ex.....i could go on.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#99 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@aigis said:
@Maroxad said:

what? Like an rts?

Umm... RPG's came from RPG's, as in pen & paper games such as Rolemaster and Dungeons & Dragons. Not table top war games, like Warhammer Fantasy Battle, which are the origin of today's RTS's. Of course there are cross overs between fantasy table top war gaming and role playing games but one did not lead to the other.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

Nothing atm.