Which is more important to you? Gameplay or Graphics?

• 106 results
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll Which is more important to you? Gameplay or Graphics? (86 votes)

Gameplay. 84%
Graphics. 16%

Yo.

I listened to a ReviewTechUsa video, Then I started thinking....

System Wars, I ask you. What is more important to you? Good Gameplay, or Good Graphics?

Basically he says that physical games are losing their value. Discs no longer have much of a point because we have to install games anyway, and they take up so much space. Discs are not much different from downloading games digitally.

I...I disagree...But I get where he's coming from. However, my question is, is the gaming industry REALLY in that bad of shape that we have to resort to making all games go digital? Yeah, it's cheaper. But cheaper isn't always better. if all games were digital, and you could not go out to the stores and buy them anymore, what's the point? The consoles would just become less powerful PCs. Set top boxes that you can download games from. That would suck.

My point is, why do games cost so much? Why do they take up so much space? is it because of the visuals? Because of the engines? Why do the engines need to be that powerful? So the graphics can look better? The gameplay doesn't seem to be affected that much. The games LOOK better. But most of them are not THAT much better, (Gameplay wise), from the great games of the 7th gen. Or even before then.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Look at Uncharted 4 and Zelda U.

You think that Zelda U costs as much money to create as Uncharted 4? I doubt it. Yet, Zelda U looks just as beautiful. Sure not as realistic. But Realistic doesn't always = Better. Bottom line is, Zelda U can be, and most likely WILL be, just as fun of a game as Uncharted 4, if not better. And yet, it costed less money. What does that say to you?

If a game like Pokemon can be just as fun as Grand Theft Auto, and cost WAY less to develop, WTF does that say? Why are they spending this much money? For graphics?

Then again, if a game's graphics do look like "This" or "That" we are the first to start complaining and moaning. Are WE the problem?

So people of System Wars, again, I ask you. What is more important to you? Good Gameplay, or Good Graphics?

I don't know about you, but I don't want to pay $60 just so I can say "Pretty. Pretty. Shiny. Shiny."

• 
Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

You already know gameplay will win that poll, and for good reason. And are either of those screenshots in gameplay? No way Uncharted 4 looks that good outside of cutscenes.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

No game is worth the asking price now. I only ever buy during sale time.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

This literally stupid question all over again.

DEPENDS THE FREAKING GENRE ... damn !

There are games that i cant think of without great graphics for example Uncharted series or Dead Space etc and there are games i cant think of without great gameplay ( rayman series,Mario etc )...

Then why to choose one over the other when there are games offering both ! Great graphics AND great gameplay.

Damn this stupid question all over again ... It all depends the freaking genre ffs and the type of game ! Beeh

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

I take good gameplay over good graphics anyday, star wars battlefront looks amazing, but lacks in everything else.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

You already know gameplay will win that poll, and for good reason. And are either of those screenshots in gameplay? No way Uncharted 4 looks that good outside of cutscenes.

I'm sure it will.

I guess i'm just curious about the mindset these days. Thr RTU video made me think about if the devs are overspending or not.

@clyde46 said:

I have to work. I don't even have time or energy to buy $60 game....=(

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts
Essentially flashy things sell. It costs insane amounts of money to produce those terrible transformers movies and they sell loads of tickets despite how unanimously terrible people consider them.
But yeah, it's pretty much a lock that Zelda U will most likely be far more rich in quality gameplay and content than something like Uncharted 4 given the history of each series. Uncharted is a franchise that very much relies on presentation as a crutch. On the other hand, Zelda is a series that relies on strong core gameplay and creative design to garner its praise. I prefer the latter approach.
thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

I dont even bother myself with physical copies anymore, I bought most of my games digital. Also digital copies can often be bought much cheaper than physical copies.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Gameplay by a long shot.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I don't care about the topic, I find the "Microsoft Had A Point" thing much more interesting to be honest, and to be completely honest they did*.

Sure their DRM was a bad idea, but the way they judged the market in terms of its direction, digital games and the way these systems work was spot on. Having a disc these days is a novel idea, but the reality is it's not the same as it used to be, it needs to be installed and most games need a massive downloaded update the day they release, plus pretty much every game needs post release updates. I have no doubt that there are several games in existence that won't even work without content being acquired from the Internet, that's basically the reality we're living in.

Traditional consoles are dead, those days are long gone, these things are bonified closed source PC's now. Both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 are essentially worthless hardware packages without the internet, that is the cold hard reality with these systems. Sure, you can use them offline, but you're going to get a pretty terrible experience, all I'm going to say is The Witcher 3 version 1.0 on PlayStation 4, have fun with that.

The 24 hour check-in was completely unnecessary, but as most of us are finding out now, it really wouldn't have mattered for the most part because an internet connection is an absolute necessity for these systems.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PikachuDude860

@AzatiS said:

This literally stupid question all over again.

DEPENDS THE FREAKING GENRE ... damn !

There are games that i cant think of without great graphics for example Uncharted series or Dead Space etc and there are games i cant think of without great gameplay ( rayman series,Mario etc )...

Then why to choose one over the other when there are games offering both ! Great graphics AND great gameplay.

Damn this stupid question all over again ... It all depends the freaking genre ffs and the type of game ! Beeh

....OK???

I agree. Though how many games have an outstanding performance in both these days? Sure Isn't The Order 1886 or Call of Duty.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Primorandomguy

@pikachudude860: Most games have just lost their creativity and uniqueness. The last great gaming years was 2010 to 2011. It was awesome. Now theirs some really good games, but A lot has lost their magic.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PikachuDude860

@dynamitecop said:

I don't care about the topic, I find the "Microsoft Had A Point" thing much more interesting to be honest, and to be completely honest they did*.

Sure their DRM was a bad idea, but the way they judged the market in terms of its direction, digital games and the way these systems work was spot on. Having a disc these days is a novel idea, but the reality is it's not the same as it used to be, it needs to be installed and most games need a massive downloaded update the day they release, plus pretty much every game needs post release updates. I have no doubt that there are several games in existence that won't even work without content being acquired from the Internet, that's basically the reality we're living in.

Traditional consoles are dead, those days are long gone, these things are bonified closed source PC's now. Both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 are essentially worthless hardware packages without the internet, that is the cold hard reality with these systems. Sure, you can use them offline, but you're going to get a pretty terrible experience, all I'm going to say is The Witcher 3 version 1.0 on PlayStation 4, have fun with that.

The 24 hour check-in was completely unnecessary, but as most of us are finding out now, it really wouldn't have mattered for the most part because an internet connection is an absolute necessity for these systems.

As much as I hate to admit it, your right. That is the unfortunate reality we live in. I just don't think digital is the way to go. Things can change if Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo just had a bit more ambition in their hardware innovation.

I'm just afraid of what happens when digital is not enough....

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#13 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Fun. I dont waste brain power segmenting games into these parts. I play it, if I am having fun or enjoying it, I like the game.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PikachuDude860

@primorandomguy said:

@pikachudude860: Most games have just lost their creativity and uniqueness. The last great gaming years was 2010 to 2011. It was awesome. Now theirs some really good games, but A lot has lost their magic.

I feel the same way. Indie games have more creativity and uniqueness. Indie games that cost a couple of dimes and some butt hair to develop....How is that even a thing?

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

Gameplay by a long shot.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

And something else ... Confusing freaking ART and pleasant to eye colors with actually GOOD graphics is idiotic. Even if good art is part of graphics , graphics from a technical standpoint has nothing to do with art and colorful schemes.

Example : Worlf of Warcraft was and is pleasant to the eye even after 10 years of its original release. Its because of its art design and the "cartoony" style that age well and all ... But as far as graphics go .. is as a low end graphic game as it gets. It was even on its release. So , it really had/has good graphics? Ask yourself.

So , please.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

People will lie and say gameplay. What's popular today is proof that the majority doesn't prefer gameplay.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PikachuDude860

@magicalclick said:

Both are important.

The reason why it is huge is because the pre-bake process. They still trying to use mirror and smoke. That cannot be helped because it is still faster that way and will always be faster. And they do mega texture instead of modular texture. So, a lot of repeated textures are pre-baked into several mega textures. This matters too, mega texture is better at tiling because they are pre-baked.

I do hope they can compute the textures and cache it locally. If the cache is cleared, they can recompute it again. That way, the process is fast.

The future game will have much smaller install, but, will have more MMO kind of content download, which would be great to compute the content at that time.

I....Somewhat understood that. I get the gist of it though.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: Go **** yourself.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@naughtyottsel said:
@primorandomguy said:

That's in-game footage nimrod.

Indeed it is. But it is not game play, it is a cutscene. Gameplay quality takes a drastic drop. That is typical of video games though.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: Go **** yourself.

LOL that salt cause as usual, he's wrong.
LOL that salt cause as usual, he's wrong.
naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 naughtyottsel

@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@primorandomguy said:

Indeed it is. But it is not game play, it is a cutscene. Gameplay quality takes a drastic drop. That is typical of video games though.

False again, gameplay shown at E3 proved that the quality didn't dip.

Try again

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Primorandomguy

@primorandomguy: Most people are stupid, so AAA developers know they can come out with Call Of Duty 2000, or Assassin's creed 50 and it'll sell Millions. Also yeah Indies still keep the uniqueness and there's some gems in there, but lately even Indies are just coming out in droves for a quick dime, have you seen all the filler indie games come out this year alone? It's like no effort is put in on a lot of them, like AAA games as well.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: Didn't you just get proven wrong and confirmed that it was a cutscene? Just like I said? Must suck to be such a dipshit.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: Didn't you just get proven wrong and confirmed that it was a cutscene? Just like I said? Must suck to be such a dipshit.

I was proven wrong by a troll who's known to be anti-Sony and is trying to become the next king of lems?

Lol I can tell already you've watched jackshit from the gameplay shown at events, keep failing.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: Oh yeah because Uncharted 3 ended up looking as good as the E3 footage gameplay shown for it... Oh wait... Downgrades lol. You're so dumb if you think the gameplay graphics will look like the cutscene above.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: Oh yeah because Uncharted 3 ended up looking as good as the E3 footage gameplay shown for it... Oh wait... Downgrades lol. You're so dumb if you think the gameplay graphics will look like the cutscene above.

Seeing as that cutscene is in-game real time gameplay moron of course I do, I actually watched the bloody trailer that screenshot is from and guess what, not once did it drop from that.

I think you're confusing pre-rendered and real time cutscenes.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Downloading a game is fine when you get it off Steam during a sale for like 30% off a couple of months later, but no way would I have bought The Division on day 1 at $60 knowing I couldn't trade it in in a couple of months when I'm figuring that I'm going to get bored of it.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: You're wrong but it's just funny that even when I don't post anything negative about Sony or its games you run to reply with an insult. You're such a child, one of the biggest cows on this board and a complete idiot. You're cancer, leave this forum forever so it becomes marginally better. No one wants you here.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kvally

@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@primorandomguy said:

Try again

Nope, it has been proven time and time again with any game. What you get in the game play when you control the characters is a drastic drop from the cutscenes. That is a fact my friend. Though I wish we were at that level today.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

After trying out The Order, gotta say gameplay!

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Primorandomguy

@kvally: Don't bother with him, he's a complete fool.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 naughtyottsel

@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:

Try again

Nope, it has been proven time and time again with any game. What you get in the game play when you control the characters is a drastic drop from the cutscenes. That is a fact my friend. Though I wish we were at that level today.

Do I get a prize when I'm right?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts
@kvally said:

While not true for all games, this is something that is fairly apparent in many games, I'd say we all just wait and see.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: You're wrong but it's just funny that even when I don't post anything negative about Sony or its games you run to reply with an insult. You're such a child, one of the biggest cows on this board and a complete idiot. You're cancer, leave this forum forever so it becomes marginally better. No one wants you here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh boy that's hilarious, so you can speak for EVERYONE on this forum then little troll?

Also I'm a cow that still hasn't touched any of his Sony systems since SFV died down and actually booted up my Xbox One 3 times this week alongside my new Xbox 360.

I suggest you stop lem.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kvally

@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:

Try again

But you are already wrong. But HAD you been right, you would have received a prize!

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Damn, you make minimum wage or what? Your entertainment has no time value? You're probably the type that will pay top dollar to ride a 2 minute roller coaster but not even a lousy $60 for 8+ hours of enjoyment. Entertainment always costs money because it's a luxury.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By naughtyottsel

@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:

Try again

But you are already wrong. But HAD you been right, you would have received a prize!

I doubt I am, now what will I receive when I am right?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Gameplay first and Foremost.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kvally

@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:

Try again

But you are wrong. Actual game play (where you are controlling the characters) have not and do not look like the game cut-scenes. But you would win a quick swift kick in the pants!

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 naughtyottsel

@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:

But you are wrong. Actual game play (where you are controlling the characters) have not and do not look like the game cut-scenes. But you would win a quick swift kick in the pants!

I guess you didn't watch the E3 footage then, ah wells.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: Suggest I stop? Ok internet tough guy. Maybe you should stop replying to all my posts then huh? Dumbass. You always say something about everything I post. You're pathetic.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kvally

@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:

I have watched it all and played the betas. Looks nothing like the cutscenes. Fact.

This is what the cutscenes will look like:

And this is what actually game play will look like when you control the character (will look a little better than this because this is from multiplayer, but they will be nearly identical):

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: Suggest I stop? Ok internet tough guy. Maybe you should stop replying to all my posts then huh? Dumbass. You always say something about everything I post. You're pathetic.

Maybe if you didn't go out your way to be an antagonistic little runt then I wouldn't then.

Also turns out my friend on Steam confirms that issues like that happen frequently so I was indeed wrong, least unlike yourself I have the courtesy and pride to admit I was wrong.

Now you may continue your crying.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 naughtyottsel

@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:
@naughtyottsel said:
@kvally said:

I have watched it all and played the betas. Looks nothing like the cutscenes. Fact.

This is what the cutscenes will look like:

And this is what actually game play will look like when you control the character (will look a little better than this because this is from multiplayer, but they will be nearly identical):

Pre-rendered vs real time, as I expect.

Anyway a friend from here confirmed to me on Steam that stuff like that can happen so I'm not so sure I will be right so I concede.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Primorandomguy

@naughtyottsel: Lol such a bold move admitting you're wrong but still replied to my first post with an insult. Stay classy. Next time get your facts straight before you come off as an "antagonistic little runt." lmao.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 naughtyottsel

@primorandomguy said:

@naughtyottsel: Lol such a bold move admitting you're wrong but still replied to my first post with an insult. Stay classy. Next time get your facts straight before you come off as an "antagonistic little runt." lmao.

Except love there's a problem, I stated that it's a known issue that it can happen, I never stated that it's an issue here but that I was wrong with being so absolute that it won't.

Also I have every reason to insult brats such as you, anyway we've ruined this topic enough so I'll see you next time.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

A bad game can be pretty, but it's still a bad game.