Which is going to be more expensive upcoming gen PC or console gaming?

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1391 Posts

You need a 4K TV atleast to enjoy PS 5 or XSX games in all its glory , the mainstream games gonna be 70$ , then the consoles itself.Then subscriptions.

On PC Side 3000 series cards (Midrange to Highend), SSD's,More Ram or more powerful CPU, then PC games costs?

IMO ... console games going to very expensive unless one opts for subscriptions as gamepass or PSN substitute.Personally going to invest on PC next year and sit tight for steam sales.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5915 Posts

Depends what you're aiming for, and what you already have

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2378 Posts

Depends on the PC and to an extent, depends on the console.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 18729 Posts

@magnum3000 said:

You need a 4K TV atleast to enjoy PS 5 or XSX games in all its glory , the mainstream games gonna be 70$ , then the consoles itself.Then subscriptions.

On PC Side 3000 series cards (Midrange to Highend), SSD's,More Ram or more powerful CPU, then PC games costs?

IMO ... console games going to very expensive unless one opts for subscriptions as gamepass or PSN substitute.Personally going to invest on PC next year and sit tight for steam sales.

Don't forget you have Gold which for $60 US you get 48 games a year, so you can just sit tight and wait for digital AND physical sales, something hermits can't do.

I can just buy one console to last the entire gen, as hermits you know you want the latest stuff for PC, so you're gonna pay for it.

PC will be more expensive.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By netracing
Member since 2018 • 714 Posts

Pc is always more expensive but you can do an immeasurable amount more with it, you have more options regarding controls and periferals for games, you have more fluid modding communities for games, you can acheive higher quality fidelity and frame rates for games, you have access to a much larger library of games etc etc.

For the price, consoles cannot be beaten when comparing equally with pc, however you can just do so much more with a pc if you're willing to spend.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 12808 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@magnum3000 said:

Don't forget you have Gold which for $60 US you get 48 games a year, so you can just sit tight and wait for digital AND physical sales, something hermits can't do.

I can just buy one console to last the entire gen, as hermits you know you want the latest stuff for PC, so you're gonna pay for it.

We get free games every week on Epic Games Store. Then there are occasional freebies on GOG, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Humble, etc.... and we don't have to pay for online. So, not sure what you are going on about.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 1651 Posts

Two things. First, you have to pay the play online for console. That's $10/month if you pay it monthly. $5/month if you pay an entire year so let's assume you do pay the entire year. The next consoles will be around for what? 7-8 years? That's $420-$480 for online services on top of the $499 console. So you're already up to close to $1,000 for the console. Of course, PCs are already further ahead than consoles, so to play a tiny bit of catch-up to where PCs are now, in like 3 years there will be a "pro" version of the console costing another $400.

You'll be able to meet or surpass what that "pro" version console can do for $1,000, easy, and that'll include online play. So at this point in the console game, you'll spend more for them, and get less out of them VS PC.

Something else to consider if you're considering PC over console. Virtually every PC game supports controllers and has for close to 10 years now. Steam had an online community and network of friends that at this point may even surpass PSN and XBL. And the best games from any of the consoles, except Nintendo, will be on PC as well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4073 Posts

With the increased price of games on consoles, and consoles themselves costing a ton, of course consoles will be more expensive, especially if you're playing online and is constantly paying that $70-100/year.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 1836 Posts

it differs from person to person,what about the many pc gamers who cant build a pc and buys a very expensive pre built 3080 gaming rig....or the teenager who gets a ps5 this xmas as a present and only plays fortnite and warzone?

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 1391 Posts

@bluestars said:

it differs from person to person,what about the many pc gamers who cant build a pc and buys a very expensive pre built 3080 gaming rig....or the teenager who gets a ps5 this xmas as a present and only plays fortnite and warzone?

Hah.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 42217 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

With the increased price of games on consoles, and consoles themselves costing a ton, of course consoles will be more expensive, especially if you're playing online and is constantly paying that $70-100/year.

This ^

PC still has it's discounts and lovely dodgy key sites.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3016 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@magnum3000 said:

Uhh... ever heard of humble bundle? Steam sales? Epic store giving away games for free?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57106 Posts

PC for me. Roughly $2500 going into my upgrade.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9839 Posts

I think one point that's often missed when the shock of the $70 price sticker for PS5 games was announced.... unlike Nintendo, Playstation games become more affordable over time.

Heck, I was in the store today and saw the GotY version of Spiderman for $35. Prices go down so quickly these days that I expect launch PS5 games to drop in price by next summer pretty easily.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3613 Posts

This is a question that can be answered many ways and depends on the console or PC gamer. What is "expensive" to one gamer may not to another gamer.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6952 Posts

Probably whatever you like more.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1566 Posts

PC has always been more expensive but offers more possibilities.

Next gen won't change that fact.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 14109 Posts

If you already own a PC and don't plan on upgrading to a 3080, then Console gaming will be more expensive. If you don't own a PC or do plan to shoot high on your upgrades then PC will be. It's not something to overthink, and it's pretty clear nobody is picking one or the other on that basis around here

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 3016 Posts

In any event, if you average the entire generation, it's probably a wash. More frequent/more expensive upgrades made up for by free online, humble bundle type deals, steam sales, etc. Not even getting into how much can be saved if you're tech savy and can frankenstein various used parts together to make a PC.

This gen is going to end up being uber expensive for me, as I'm sort of in a chicken before egg situation where I want to upgrade to a 3080 from my 1080, but then my existing monitor is only 1080p 144hz. So need at least a 1440p 144 hz panel. And I don't want another TN panel, thinking IPS this time. Then on top of that, I'm not 100% sure my recent upgrade to a Ryzen 2700X won't bottleneck that card. I'm thinking at 1440p/Ultra/RTX etc, it should be ok. But if I end up getting a 3700X or above, it will almost be a complete rebuild other than case/PSU/solid state drive this gen.

By contrast, last gen I was able to get 10 years out of my CPU, and was relatively conservative on gpu upgrades. I think I ended up spending about $300 CDN net each time. (price of new card - sale of old card).

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1030 Posts

PC's will always been more expensive in the long run. But games are generally cheaper and PC game sales are almost always cheaper. Also, older PC games can get 70-90% nocked off. Last year I bought The Division from Stream for less than £5.

Remember that there are no license fee's to pay to Microsoft or Sony for PC games. They'll go up, but they won't be as much as console games.

These new consoles are going to need the new faster SSD's. I think the 1TB SSD for the Xbox Series S/X may cost about £200 in the UK! So a Xbox Series X with an additional proprietary 1TB SSD could be costing me £650 If I bought a Series X. Might still buy one, but I mostly a PC gamer and my current rig cost me about £1,500 and my G-SYNC monitor was an additional £450.

These new generations of consoles support HDMI 2.1, so some people might go and buy the latest 2.1 TV along with their new console which would push the entry price up quite a bit.