Which graphic is your favorite. (Console and pc)

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Which graphic is your favorite. (Console and pc) (52 votes)

Monochrome Apple II era 0%
8 bits console era 0%
DOS 486 pc era 2%
16 bits console era 44%
Pentium Processor era earlier than graphic card. 2%
32/64 bit console era 15%
Pentium with 1st type graphic card era 2%
Second time consoles with 3D (ex: gamecubes and Xbox) 13%
Pc with next wave graphic card “Unreal 3D era” 19%

Which is the one you like most. Not best but the game you become very enrich with. Maybe post one screen grab of game from the era listed above as example.

• 
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm going with the 16bit days. Genesis and SNES were the pinnacle of 2D gaming for me. Games like Sonic CD, Jurassic Park (Gen), Mario World and Comix Zone, among others, were just really fun to play and the graphics of the era made them look like interactive cartoons at times.

I also enjoy today's realistic graphics as well but I still play and enjoy my Genesis.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

16bit is pretty timeless, unlike early 3D graphics

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

PS1's 2d artstyle is epic like castlevania sotn megman x4 and stuff like that PS1 just dominates the graphics departments

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@Telekill:

16 bits was very good but to me when quality was low it was ***very*** low. Some sega game like golden axe even with having a soft spot for is not pleasing for the eye. No movement in the scene and game characters have no animation. But compare that to Disney Aladdin and you begin to think what console is this for.

Super Famicon same thing. Compare game like power ranger when you think your monitor is not producing colors good to games like Link in the Past or Secrets of Mana.

Smash hits for 16 bits that go unnotice for me are sprite arcade game and neo geo. Look very rough with pixels but not in the bad way, maybe because animation has more frame.

Nobody ever say how much they like early computer graphic. Doom and early rts game style like Warcraft or game that shares this perspective look very nice. I remember PlayStation was on and when I finally put mmx on my pc with mdk I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not in a dream. 10 feet away I have a PlayStation on with polygon and texture warping any way they please almost like I held a magnet to my tv. Pc get short change a bit in this era I think. Some of these monitors from the early to mid 1990s was very nice display. Many people chuckle at this but for representing the game they was better than even lcds of today. Very very sharp and nice color. Various resolutions they could display. No comparison to consumer level tv.

Sound from computer here was very strange too because it change from user to user depending on audio setup used. Game on one person pc may not sound like same game on different computer.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

PS1 2d. No sense. Pure nostalgia.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I pick pentium pre-graphics cards, cause them Windows 95 days were the bomb and the best classic gaming. Retro is cool to, but I really dig a Duke Nuken 3D over some SNES JRPG, any random PS1 game is way cooler in my book, like them RE1 graphics are so awesome.

I didn't have an Apple 2, and didn't really suffer through much of the CGA days, I always had VGA adapter on my computers at home.

Its the mid-90's DOS gaming on Windows 95 talking stuff from Doom to System Shock 2 to early 00 PC games like Diablo 2 all of it. I don't recall needing an aftermarket graphics card til 9 series from Nvidia. Prior to 00, it was either a fast computer or not. But in 00s god knows what graphics were in the family computers they were always prebuilts from HP and shit. I know I got my own HP computer in maybe 2004, and I think it had a basic nvidia 7000 graphics card, and ultimately put like a 9600 in it my first real graphics card, and loved Battlefield 2 on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

16-bit

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

32-bit era. Not for the primitive 3D graphics that have aged horribly, but for the 2D graphics which have aged beautifully. The PS1 and especially the Sega Saturn had a lot of underrated 2D games, which still look great today. The 32-bit era was the pinnacle of 2D graphics.

Runner-up would, of course, be the 16-bit era.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Obviously this current era is my favorite. Graphics keep getting better and better. Even if you like sprite graphics, there are games like Ori, Rayman, Hollow Knight, etc. that look much better than old sprite games.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#10 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

32/64 bit games were not only amazing but with some filtering they can still look amazing even today in HD.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46226 Posts

16 bit side scrolling platformers is something I could still enjoy to this day.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

PS2, GC and OG Xbox...... I just love the 'fixed function' look of the graphics....

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@BassMan said:

Obviously this current era is my favorite. Graphics keep getting better and better. Even if you like sprite graphics, there are games like Ori, Rayman, Hollow Knight, etc. that look much better than old sprite games.

Agreed and was about to post something similar.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I think the pinnacle of the "wow factor" for me was whatever the Dreamcast was doing. It wasn't as ugly as the PS1 and looked clean. Sonic Adventure was a beautiful game. Same with most of their titles. That's the last time graphics wow'd me

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

The 16-bit era was probably my “golden age” of graphics and will always hold a special place in my heart with its charm especially with the SNES and many of its games.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

The pinnacle of graphics for me was the first time i played unreal on a 3dfx voodoo 2 . It was so ahead of its time it was like we jumped a couple of generation of computer graphics in a day. Remarkably unreal 98 still holds up quite good nowdays

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56061 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@BassMan said:

Agreed and was about to post something similar.

I too agree with this as well.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I thought Sword of Sodan (Amiga) was cutting edge in 1988....although the game sucked.

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Before 3D acceleration, the aircraft in flight sims didn't look like their real-world counterparts until the late 90's when flight sims like European Air War, Falcon 4.0, and Jane's World War II Fighters appeared.

I still have some screenshots of Jane's WW2 Fighters. The spent shell casings was a nice touch for a flight sim back then.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

For me the a tie between 8/16bit and modern graphics. 2d doesn't age, and i love modern graphics. I just can't enjoy early 3d anymore (5th and 6th generations).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@x_karen_x said:

Nobody ever say how much they like early computer graphic. Doom and early rts game style like Warcraft or game that shares this perspective look very nice. I remember PlayStation was on and when I finally put mmx on my pc with mdk I had to pinch myself to make sure I was not in a dream. 10 feet away I have a PlayStation on with polygon and texture warping any way they please almost like I held a magnet to my tv. Pc get short change a bit in this era I think. Some of these monitors from the early to mid 1990s was very nice display. Many people chuckle at this but for representing the game they was better than even lcds of today. Very very sharp and nice color. Various resolutions they could display. No comparison to consumer level tv.

Sound from computer here was very strange too because it change from user to user depending on audio setup used. Game on one person pc may not sound like same game on different computer.

PC CRT monitors from from 1995 onwards were hitting 17", non-interlaced with 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions. They also moved beyond 60 Hz. 75 Hz was pretty much flicker-free while 85 Hz and above were rock solid. Practically all TVs of the time were still at 60 Hz or below and topping out at 640x480. Unlike the emulated stuff we see today, every console game screenshot back then had visible scan lines. Magazines loved to keep their size tiny to make them look presentable.

By 1994, VGA and SVGA were standard on all PCs, as were soundcards. In fact, PC audio was moving from basic audio to 3D-positional audio. I recall Vortex A3D (1997) being popular, followed much later by EAX. There were plenty of remote (online, pre-Internet) games and direct modem to modem connection between PCs for one on one PvP.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

16-bit Genesis style will always be my favorite. I also like the look of 32-bit 2D games.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 X_Karen_x

@jun_aka_pekto:

Why you wink at me? I do not understand.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@x_karen_x said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

Why you wink at me? I do not understand.

Not you. Anyway, fixed. I'm referring to what you posted. You? I don't give a sh*t.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 X_Karen_x

@jun_aka_pekto:

Sheesh so very nasty reply.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
@x_karen_x said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

Sheesh so very nasty reply.

Don't take things so seriously. If you think I'm being a dick, reply back in kind.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 X_Karen_x

@jun_aka_pekto:

It unnecessary to be mean. Enough trash in world and not necessary on games forum.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

There was magic in that dos era games, the richest by far in my opinion!!!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jag85

If we look beyond consoles and PC, then I'd go with arcade games of the '80s and '90s. Arcade machines were beastly machines back then, far ahead of consoles and PC, whether in terms of sprite graphics or polygon graphics.

Sega in particular was the graphics king, combining the most powerful arcade tech of their time with bright colourful art design. From Space Harrier and OutRun to Scud Race and Outtrigger, Sega's arcade games of the '80s and '90s still look great to this day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

8-bit console, specifically Master System/GG.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X_Karen_x

@Jag85:

Yes very good designer too. Virtual Racing still look very nice. Snk make some nice looking game too.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

For pure nostalgia, i'd say 16-bit. It held some of my favourite games, and those old 2D sprites beat the initial 3D rush like crazy.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X_Karen_x

@lundy86_4:

I like playstion and Saturn and Nintendo 64 more than most of following generation for graphic. Yes many ugly game in both era but in latter they try too hard to make realistic and imo this look worse. Please, allow me, and you feel free to comment in disagreement or agreement; 3D model of Link is better in Ocarinas of Time than in Twilight Princess.

This true for many game like Star War Knights of the Republic where human face just do not work.

Some game graphic do look good like Halo

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@sovkhan said:

There was magic in that dos era games, the richest by far in my opinion!!!

Depends on the genre.

MS-DOS era flight sims? Yuk.

Late 80s:

Microprose F-19 Stealth Fighter
Microprose F-19 Stealth Fighter

Late 90's:

Jane's World War II Fighters
Jane's World War II Fighters

Early 2010's. I much prefer current:

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover
IL-2 Cliffs of Dover

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jag85

@x_karen_x said:

@Jag85:

Yes very good designer too. Virtual Racing still look very nice. Snk make some nice looking game too.

Yeah, the SNK games looked great on the Neo Geo, which was the most powerful home gaming system in the early '90s. The Capcom games also looked great in the arcades, way better than their home console & computer conversions. The only home system where the Capcom games came close to their arcade versions in the early '90s was the Sharp X68000, which was the most powerful home computer around the late '80s to early '90s.

The 3D graphics of the Sega Model arcade games in the '90s have also aged very well. Again, due to a combination of powerful technology (far ahead of consoles & PC at the time) and great art design, as Sega arcade games were often popping with colours (unlike the drab-looking art design of some popular console & PC games at the time). The only home gaming system in the '90s that came close to arcade-quality 3D graphics was the Dreamcast, which is the only '90s home gaming system where 3D graphics have aged well.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto:

That's graphics, and none deny that...

But graphics alone is not all.

I had more fun with Chuck Yeager air Combat or Falcon 3.0 than i'm having now with DCS!!!

Althought DCS is much better in all sectors.

But i still love me this era, call it nostalgia or whatever...But still i feel gameplay was there, fun factor was there and these matter more than fancy graphics!!!

Loading Video...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@sovkhan said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

That's graphics, and none deny that...

But graphics alone is not all.

I had more fun with Chuck Yeager air Combat or Falcon 3.0 than i'm having now with DCS!!!

Althought DCS is much better in all sectors.

But i still love me this era, call it nostalgia or whatever...But still i feel gameplay was there, fun factor was there and these matter more than fancy graphics!!!

I haven't bought a DCS game since Black Shark. I quit once the shift was made to DCS World. But, part of being immersed in a flight sim is having an authentic feel to the game. What exactly makes Chuck Yeager fun? For me? I love IL-2 Cliffs of Dover because it really makes me feel like I'm taking part in the Battle of Britain, especially when I see contrails during a high altitude dogfight. When I shoot at aircraft, I see debris from the plane. Some even mistake the game videos for real gun kill footage in YT. When I get shot at, pieces of my plane fly off and lots of visible damage. I don't like it happening to me. But, it's still nice to look at.